Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RareAcumen posted:

Gonna invoke the dreaded 'y-word' here

After seeing a youtuber's video on anime (A decent 12 minutes of it being about isekai) I realized I have a very small sample size of examples. What're the old ones that had something to them before everything became Sword Art Online style 'Basically stuck in a deadly video game' styled Matrix, Ready Player One? I know about Slayers, Inuyasha, .Hack and I don't know if I should count Digimon or not and there's also MÄR which never leaves my head because I saw it as one of the first few anime I'd ever seen on Toonami.

Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles. There might be more, but drawing blanks right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

RareAcumen posted:

After seeing a youtuber's video on anime (A decent 12 minutes of it being about isekai) I realized I have a very small sample size of examples. What're the old ones that had something to them before everything became Sword Art Online style 'Basically stuck in a deadly video game' styled Matrix, Ready Player One? I know about Slayers, Inuyasha, .Hack and I don't know if I should count Digimon or not and there's also MÄR which never leaves my head because I saw it as one of the first few anime I'd ever seen on Toonami.

Escaflowne is one of the best animes ever made. Girl goes to the planet of magical giant robots.
"Now and then, here and there", very good but takes itself a bit to seriously. Boy goes to steampunk nazi-germany.
There is Rayearth and at least one other very big Shojo series.
There is also a old series with as many readaptions in alternate timelines as Tenchi Muyo. Kinda funny, but also mostly generic fantasy harem stuff. Though the MCs teacher is also isekaied and ends up in a very wholesome love story. But, I forgot the name.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

RareAcumen posted:

Twelve Kingdoms comes to mind.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

There is also a old series with as many readaptions in alternate timelines as Tenchi Muyo. Kinda funny, but also mostly generic fantasy harem stuff. Though the MCs teacher is also isekaied and ends up in a very wholesome love story. But, I forgot the name.

El Hazard, maybe?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Fenrisulfr posted:

El Hazard, maybe?

Right, that was it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

Slayers isn't an isekai at all, as far as I remember. It's just a standard fantasy story where all the characters are from the fantasy world. Fushigi Yuugi is another classic isekai anime though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

A lot of the Clamp series

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Alice in Wonderland
wizard of oz

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of not-actually-isekai stories though, today I'm going to talk about the webtoon Dear Nemesis. Basically it's one of those time travel stories where the character goes back in time to when they were a child and uses their knowledge of the future to change their life, which imo occupies the same genre as novel reincarnation isekais because of how they play out with knowing the "plot" ahead of time.

Plot: The wicked countess finally achieves victory over her hated nemesis the duke, assassinating him with a poisoned glass of wine, which leaves no one left to stand in her way. But as she shares a celebratory drink with her co-conspirator, she blacks out and wakes up 20 years ago as a 10 year old girl. On the day her twin brother died in an accident, which cleared a path for her to take the title of count for herself. But as she's agonizing over whether to save her brother this time or to let him die again to serve her ambitions, fate is taken out of her hands when the young duke shows up out of nowhere, saves her brother, and requests a contract engagement from her, in exchange for helping her take the title of countess some other way.

What I find most interesting about this one is that while usually these stories are about people who die tragically and use this knowledge to try to improve their future, in this case the girl has no idea why she went back in time, only that it happened right after her victory. So from her point of view, the old future was the good one, and she has no reason to change her wicked ways except now she's back to square one and has to figure out how to get it to happen again despite the changes that have already been made. Speaking of which, it's hardly a spoiler after that summary, but the duke also went back in time, and is trying to change things so she doesn't become a villainess this time. Also, well, she may not have been particularly aware of what was actually happening in the future, so instead of just using her knowledge of the future to cheat, she's more often held back by her misconceptions and biases that prevent her from seeing things objectively.

Also there's some fun bickering between her and her fiance who she hates but has to pretend she fell in love with at first sight.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

B-Rank Adventurer with a Bad Guy Face is still very early, but kinda cute. (2 chapters, will apparently start being weekly in later july, per the scanlators.)
Guy realizes he's a miniboss(Or atleast some generic mook?), goes 'gently caress that' and takes up adventuring instead. Then stumbles over the protag of the game as an orphan, way before the game starts. A shame there are so few chapters out, I'm curious where it's heading.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read the wn for a bit but it very quickly started to give off rather menacing usagi drop vibes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Escaflowne is one of the best animes ever made. Girl goes to the planet of magical giant robots.
"Now and then, here and there", very good but takes itself a bit to seriously. Boy goes to steampunk nazi-germany.
There is Rayearth and at least one other very big Shojo series.

Clarste posted:

Slayers isn't an isekai at all, as far as I remember. It's just a standard fantasy story where all the characters are from the fantasy world. Fushigi Yuugi is another classic isekai anime though.

Right I completely blocked out Escaflowne beyond that people love it. Interesting to learn that Slayers was just a straight up fantasy though. Since so many isekai tend to have that kind of setting I must've thrown that one in the mix too in my head at some point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's an old joke (?) that Slayers is a tabletop rpg party, but the setting is real in-universe and there are no stats or levels or anything

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

mycot posted:

There's an old joke (?) that Slayers is a tabletop rpg party, but the setting is real in-universe and there are no stats or levels or anything

The joke I've heard is that Lodoss War is the grand elic RPG adventure you build in your head and Slayers is how it plays out in actuality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with slayers, it's a bit uneven because one player made a completely optimized character and the rest went for rp builds.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

native isekais

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

with slayers, it's a bit uneven because one player made a completely optimized character and the rest went for rp builds.

Lina is the joke wizard who only casts fireball made manifest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Megumin is a highly evolved form of Lina

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Escaflowne, 12 Kingdoms, Fushigi Yuugi, El Hazard, there's a ton of old isekai even in anime. A lot of people ignored them though, because they were largely a shoujo thing. Slayers was NOT an isekai, though. Ish. Until Slayers Light Magic, where Lina got isekai'd into another world, anyway.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Guyver posted:

Lina is the joke wizard who only casts fireball made manifest.

Nah she's the one who maxed out damage output at the expense of massive collateral damage making the reward moot.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Everyone really going to talk old isekai and not mention Aura Battler Dunbine or God Mazinger?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

The joke I've heard is that Lodoss War is the grand elic RPG adventure you build in your head and Slayers is how it plays out in actuality.

Lodoss War was actual RPG sessions, only everyone involved were professional writers and knew that the "recap" would be published in a magazine to help sell the idea of role playing games.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Clarste posted:

Speaking of not-actually-isekai stories though, today I'm going to talk about the webtoon Dear Nemesis.

Thanks for this. It's an interesting spin on the genre. Read the first 2 chapters and have a feeling her previous lover groomed her to be countess and then poisoned her during the victory celebration. Hopefully it's more nuanced than that but either way the premise is enough to keep me interested for now.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

7c Nickel posted:

Lodoss War was actual RPG sessions, only everyone involved were professional writers and knew that the "recap" would be published in a magazine to help sell the idea of role playing games.

I knew it was an actual RPG session, I didn't know they were already writers though. Interesting.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Red River is about a teen girl going back to ancient Egypt.

There’s also a kid’s cartoon that I remember watching—google says Spider Riders?—that’s pretty much isekai

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

Red River is about a teen girl going back to ancient Egypt.

Anatolia is the focus. Though there are some shenanigans in Egypt.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rubix Squid posted:

Anatolia is the focus. Though there are some shenanigans in Egypt.

That’s right. Not sure where I got the Egypt idea from

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Crest of the Royal Family which is about a girl being transported to Egypt.

Edit: It's been running since 1976 and has not yet ended.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 14, 2023

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

That would probably be Ramses's fault. Egypt does become a pretty big deal in the story if I recall correctly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Swilo posted:

Twelve Kingdoms comes to mind.

I always mention this, but anyone who hasn't watched it really needs to do so. It just sucks you in and is genuinely interesting in a way most stories don't pull off.

Another isekai that comes to mind (but that I haven't actually watched) is Fushigi Yuugi. Older isekai almost always had female protagonists (I actually wonder exactly why this is).

Edit: Also someone mentioned Now and Then Here and There. I thought this was amazing as a teenager, but I feel like I probably wouldn't like it quite as much now (like that other poster mentioned, it takes itself very seriously).

Edit2: Mentioning this here just because I can't think of any place better, but I was just looking at some Youtube clip of the part in 12 Kingdoms where Shoukei's family is executed, and someone in the comments has written multiple paragraphs about how, actually, the king wasn't wrong to execute starving children for stealing bread, and that maybe he had no choice but to execute 300,000 people in the last year. Probably one of the most deranged comments I've seen on that website, and that's really saying something. Literally justifying executing starving children, jesus christ

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 15, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Now and then, was my first anime that dealt with serious issues

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Now and then was relentless with absolutely relentless with how bleak the story and setting was and how the MC being a typical shonen protag in mindset was just not jelling with such a harsh environment but god dammit he was too stubborn and stupid to stop trying. Having only recently gotten cable it was incredibly jarring compared to the anime aired on saturday mornings on Fox Kids or Kids WB. Hilariously I also remember that Escaflowne got the Fox censorship treatment and I don't think the edited series was completely aired either.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

With Escaflowne they tried the classic "editing because we know better" to try and make Vaan the protagonist instead of Hitomi and there was some editing for content they also deemed unsuitable for Saturday mornings (mostly relationship stuff). It's a shame because Escaflowne is a good show and it wasn't until recently it got a dub that wasn't the butchered Fox version.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Ytlaya posted:

Another isekai that comes to mind (but that I haven't actually watched) is Fushigi Yuugi. Older isekai almost always had female protagonists (I actually wonder exactly why this is).

I thought this said that isekai series almost always had older protagonists, which sounded interesting. There’s one I can’t remember the name of but the main character’s mother was a former isekai hero, and is being called back to duty, despite the trauma and all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Antitonic posted:

I thought this said that isekai series almost always had older protagonists, which sounded interesting. There’s one I can’t remember the name of but the main character’s mother was a former isekai hero, and is being called back to duty, despite the trauma and all.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-fabled-warrior/list?title_no=3179

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

That’s the one! Only had like two or three chapters last I saw, so interested in checking it out further now.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's been on a hiatus for a while, but a new group's picked up The Mochi I Drew is Tasty Today Too, so I figured I'd mention it.

quote:

Tougo is a high school student who loves drawing more than anything. One day, he woke up in a deep forest filled with vegetations he had never seen before...
While he went on an exploration finding answers in this new world, he found them without putting much effort.
When he drew a Mochi using pencil and paper, something unusual happened...!?
Not just a log house but legendary beasts too!?
With ability to bring anything into being, he creates a paradise for everyone!
A young boy who unbeknown to him is loved by others.

The drawing fantasy story starts here!

It's not all in color, these are just the first two pages and they set up the story well enough.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Trying to remember an isekai where the MC is reborn as a side character son of the gardener and spends his time just chilling making friends with the noble daughter and getting her to be nicer. It was quite nice.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Trying to remember an isekai where the MC is reborn as a side character son of the gardener and spends his time just chilling making friends with the noble daughter and getting her to be nicer. It was quite nice.
https://mangadex.org/title/e279d973-e1dd-4cfc-b643-fda857b6f4a0/otome-game-no-mob-desura-naindaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Thanks much.👍