Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm excited about the idea of a sequel but I'm really hoping there's enough new content to slog through all the development cycles the first game went through along the way. I feel like a lot of the new stuff they promised is gonna take years to actually happen (and work well).

I really liked Career mode in KSP 1 as it really challenged my ability to design and fly rockets, gave distinct pros/cons to manned/unmanned missions, and it was fun to upgrade the space center along the way. I hope they really expand on that with colonies and stuff as well as more kerbonaut management ie "Jeb is out with the measles who else we got crazy enough to fly this thing in 3 days?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Why not just unbookmark and check back next year? Like, it's fine.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Zesty posted:

Why not just unbookmark and check back next year? Like, it's fine.

because this isnt the ksp2 thread this is the ksp thread

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The KSP2 thread is not yet ready for release.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chev posted:

thread title

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I still have serious doubts about whether they'll manage to make colonization and interstellar travel work, game design wise.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

FPyat posted:

I still have serious doubts about whether they'll manage to make colonization and interstellar travel work, game design wise.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this whole thing gets tossed in a box, but it would be absolutely hilarious if they get the game up to the point where it can accurately replicate KSP1 and then cut off development.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

thread title

Seconded

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chev posted:

Potato Salad posted:

thread title

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTFcLtqtdfI

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

hello internet posted:

You and probably 99% of the ksp playerbase. If this is not the most refunded game on steam I’d be surprised.

I'm an idiot and didn't refund it when I had the chance. I really wish I had :(

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
I haven't paid attention since march is it good yet and will it still melt my 6800?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

bonelessdongs posted:

I haven't paid attention since march is it good yet and will it still melt my 6800?

No and maybe

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bonelessdongs posted:

Motorola 6800? Doubtlessly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm thinking about getting back into this (this being KSP 1 specifically) but haven't played since 2018.

Are the expansion packs worth buying? Breaking Ground looks like it adds a lot more I'd be interested in.

What's the best way to get a DV estimation in the hangar these days? Was it ever made part of the base game?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

haveblue posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into this (this being KSP 1 specifically) but haven't played since 2018.

Are the expansion packs worth buying? Breaking Ground looks like it adds a lot more I'd be interested in.

What's the best way to get a DV estimation in the hangar these days? Was it ever made part of the base game?

If you're gonna get one DLC, get Breaking Ground. The robotics are pretty great and the KAL enables some wacky stuff like engine thrust overclocking.

DV calcs are in the base game now. They're only rarely wrong.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
KAL is fantastic. I once built a space shuttle clone, and mounted the shuttle engines on a hinge. I used KAL to stage all boosters and adjust the hinge angle over time to keep up with the shifting center of mass. It's not a novel idea, though: the actual shuttle tilted its engines.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 13, 2023

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Breaking ground is good, but I reckon you also need the mod with community fixes. theres issues with the robotics on impacts where they get set to odd positions and end up unusable that it fixes. As well as robotics, I love the rubber anti-slip mat parts for making bumpers & roll cages for rovers. They have a much higher break limit than other pieces so you can make fun carts that can bounce off rocks without shattering everything. Also, a small one mounted radially at the bottom of a jet engine can save it getting smashed off on a sharp takeoff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Right now on Steam the bundle of game + both expansions is only $2.50 more than game and one expansion.

If you had to have one Breaking Ground is clearly the one with actual gameplay, Making History isn't much more than a parts modpack... but it's a really nice parts modpack.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbsBtO0UWgk

matt lowne with a preview and conversation with and about Harvester's new game, Kitbash Model Club, as well as some opinions on KSP 1+2 and how KMC handles physics simulations to prevent wobbliness

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ellie the beep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbsBtO0UWgk

matt lowne with a preview and conversation with and about Harvester's new game, Kitbash Model Club, as well as some opinions on KSP 1+2 and how KMC handles physics simulations to prevent wobbliness

It's got multiplayer.

That works.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
With a bit of modding that game could become robot wars

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Unless they radically change how parts load, it may be extensively moldable day 1

marumaru
May 20, 2013

went to read this out of morbid curiosity: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/218671-bug-status-728/
and dude, how are wobbly rockets and decaying orbits that difficult to fix when they were solved problems in KSP1?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Because for all intents it seems they threw out all code 4 times over and *(whatever explains the lack of memory for what they had) :psyduck:
Seriously I can't get over the disconnect between the dev videos thoughtfulness and the sadness of ksp2.

*I really wonder what the post-launch fired tech lead actually did

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Is there even any staff overlap between KSP1 and KSP2? I thought Take2 did this completely independently of our favorite Space Mexicans.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It’s really bad and disheartening. Looking forward to the science/career system being a reskinned version of KSP1’s dogshit system so I can give up hope completely.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

Is there even any staff overlap between KSP1 and KSP2? I thought Take2 did this completely independently of our favorite Space Mexicans.

No overlap. My theory is that they had never played the original game and put wacky wavy floppy rockets back in on purpose because that was the biggest meme about it

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

KSP2 appears to be getting slow-walked to getting shot in a ditch by the publisher at this point.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

There is absolutely zero chance that Take-Two funds this to completion

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This is really too bad. Finally playing Outer Wilds instead.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bedurndurn posted:

At this point there's some versions of KSP2 that don't have any staff overlap.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hello internet posted:

There is absolutely zero chance that Take-Two funds this to completion

Probably have the devs doing bug fixes until they can reassign everyone to a different project(s)/title(s)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

marumaru posted:

went to read this out of morbid curiosity: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/218671-bug-status-728/
and dude, how are wobbly rockets and decaying orbits that difficult to fix when they were solved problems in KSP1?

because they're actually difficult and complicated problems that took KSP1 quite a while to fix. and because KSP1 is on version 1.12.5 and KSP2 is on version 0.1.4. and because most of the original KSP1 staff didn't work on KSP2. and all those other reasons you know already

it's extremely clear that the game launched way too early but there's not much point in coming back to point and laugh at it every month. it's gonna take a fair while to dig its way out of the hole it was in at launch

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Remind me why the owners of KSP felt like they needed to sell KSP2 / find major publishers again?

They seem to have created the hill of becoming a household name despite being a small indie company. They have a rabid fan base who would have bought KSP2 if it was self published.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Squad wasn't really a game developer. KSP started out as a side project. They were probably offered an amount of money that was much more appealing than the prospect of doing the same thing for another ten years (and I don't know if very many of the original development team was left even at that point)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The notch paradox :notch:

Create small personal sandbox game
Turns into a wild overnight success with rabid fans
Make tons of money
???
Keep making tons of money
???
More money
Never release a sequel or anything interesting of consequence ever again

Harvester's new model airplane game looks great the only problem with it is that I can't ever remember the name of it. Kerbal was such a screwball name it just kind of jumps out at you

And yeah squad was a high end guerilla marketing company in Mexico City, KSP was just a carrot to keep the young prodigy from leaving

I'm sure a franchise rights broker offered them $$$ and then sold it to take two and got a 10% commission or something

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 3, 2023

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Harvester's new model airplane game looks great the only problem with it is that I can't ever remember the name of it

doesnt help that its changed names entirely

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There was no KSP2 for Squad run KSP. They didn't want to hire anyone on at the level that could set direction and the team there was collapsing under their own weight just getting to 1.0. I forget which original developers left for why but one of them was poo poo talking Squad leadership taking profits and leaving them to self organize without any budget or impetus to actually run it like a studio. Take 2 was happy to buy it and set a direction. And Squad leadership was surely happy to just go to a nearshoring talent model for Take 2.

When I say there are probably whole versions of KSP2 with different teams, things got really sketch during the history of it. Originally Squad devs worked on 1.0 support and DLC and Star Theory was given KSP2. Between DLC sales and Star Theory not getting over the line Take 2 wanted to bring everyone working on KSP2 into one Take 2 wholly owned and operated studio. Star Theory was originally in talks to be acquired directly but at some point talks went nuclear with the rumor being the owner told Take 2 no acquisition, no code base and Take 2 calling his bluff and hiring everyone willing to work on KSP2 directly from Star Theory and Squad. From outside it looks like the rumor is true and the owner wasn't bluffing, with Intercept Games starting over in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
There is no rule that says a dog cannot make a version of KSP2.