Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mistermojo posted:

I've been sitting in on interviews and maybe because its fully remote but even the handful of candidates picked out of hundreds are really rough. if you can explain what you worked on and how you did it and how you'd do it again even somewhat clearly you'd already be near the top.

actually doing software work destroys your ability to do software interviews, including the softer stuff you mention, its hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

actually doing software work destroys your ability to do software interviews, including the softer stuff you mention, its hilarious

the huge headsets a lot of them are wearing is a bad first impression too. gotta invest in those airpods. I guess its true I liked the personable ones a lot more but theyre probably equally capable

but thats why as a dumb nerd myself I would go into tons of detail trying to impress the tech people rather than saying generic things about react and apis

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mistermojo posted:

I've been sitting in on interviews and maybe because its fully remote but even the handful of candidates picked out of hundreds are really rough. if you can explain what you worked on and how you did it and how you'd do it again even somewhat clearly you'd already be near the top.

idk if non computer perspectives are welcome, but I absolutely need to have people that can communicate as well as have technical skills. Maybe at absolute entry level associate clinical scientist level you just do your job reviewing data, but anything above that is varying levels of leadership and absolutely needs good soft skills.

Like ask someone applying for a director level job how they plan their team culture to be, it is a HUGE red flag if they cant answer it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i like to think i have good technical writing skills and an above-average ability to explain things in a way that my specific reader/listener can understand

but that's not quite the same thing as soft skills tbh, the latter is something i need to work on

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

mistermojo posted:

are you hiring full remote in eu?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had a second round interview today and drat…I’m still burned out.

the start up initial convo was great and they’re not in a hurry to fill. so will be happy to move forward as I think they’ll give me some flexibility with start date. he knows I was slow rolling talking to him and said a lot of peers recommended me.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 14, 2023

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

4lokos basilisk posted:

are you hiring full remote in eu?

Do you know Kafka? I'm on a project that's on fire in 200 ways but always needs more freelancers to feed the beast

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

in semi-related news I'm looking for an on-site position because working fully remote and being alone all the time is doing a number on me. Looking to go into management and very willing to relocate.

the long shot if you will.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

champagne posting posted:

Do you know Kafka? I'm on a project that's on fire in 200 ways but always needs more freelancers to feed the beast

Check your PMs :)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

90minute pair programming and 90 minute architecture/ system design
why would you do this to your devs and candidates?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

surely making all the internal team members hate doing recruiting won't effect the outcome!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk i always think an hour isnt really enough

like yes hiring is a hassle but if firing is also a hassle (which it always is) then i need time up front to vet people.

like what do people expect? that you're just gonna hire good people without expending any effort making sure they're good first?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean if we're just complaining about poo poo to complain then thats cool, I'm all about it, just lemme know

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

KidDynamite posted:

90minute pair programming and 90 minute architecture/ system design
why would you do this to your devs and candidates?

I hope these are the last two rounds after an initial 30-45min tech screen. When you've got a dud it's obvious in the first 15 and I can't imagine trying to stick out over an hour after that.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

idk i always think an hour isnt really enough

like yes hiring is a hassle but if firing is also a hassle (which it always is) then i need time up front to vet people.

like what do people expect? that you're just gonna hire good people without expending any effort making sure they're good first?

you're right about it not being enough time, but my brain has developed a hard-checkout response at minute 45 of every meeting. that's when i go from ~50% attention to <10%, and i can feel it happening, like a whooshing in my head

so i just try not to interview anymore. time consideration aside, i hate it and it sucks for all parties involved

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sounds like you need to put in snack breaks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sounds like you need to put in snack breaks

like especially for architechture poo poo i'll just walk people around the office whilst chatting, or would if I interviewed anyone irl any more

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mistermojo posted:

the huge headsets a lot of them are wearing is a bad first impression too. gotta invest in those airpods.

yossers: is this a real thing?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

counterpoint: my headset makes my deep, soothing voice come through crisp and clear

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

if my interviewer can't quickly identify one of the many things far more wrong with me than my headset size, i don't care to work for such a sloppy outfit anyway

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I hope these are the last two rounds after an initial 30-45min tech screen. When you've got a dud it's obvious in the first 15 and I can't imagine trying to stick out over an hour after that.

duds take 15 minutes, bad hires take weeks. lets split the difference on a logarithmic scale and make the interviewing process 6 hours.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Poopernickel posted:

yossers: is this a real thing?

I have never encountered huge-cans bias.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i log on every day with my closed ear headphones and my modmic stuck on the side and nobody has given me a wedgie over zoom yet

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tk posted:

I have never encountered huge-cans bias.

hello,

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gonna wear those light-up cat ear headphones on my next zoom screen now, as a power move

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

rotor posted:

i mean if we're just complaining about poo poo to complain then thats cool, I'm all about it, just lemme know

what signal could you fish out that says do not hire in 90 minutes vs 60?

i have the needs to fill dead air seeking approval adhd and 90 minutes makes for a lot of dead air i will need to fill.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

what signal could you fish out that says do not hire in 90 minutes vs 60?

i have the needs to fill dead air seeking approval adhd and 90 minutes makes for a lot of dead air i will need to fill.

more is better, especially if i have candidates that are close. Ideally I'd pair up with someone for a day or two but I'll settle for 90 minutes if i have to, and I'll settle for 60 if I have to. I have the same issues wrt silence intolerance so yeah thats not much of an excuse imo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

from a hiring perspective, IDEALLY i would hire people contract-to-perm because that would let me bounce clowns if it became clear that they were clowns. But, understandably, no one likes that, so the next best thing is to be real sure they're not clowns up front.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like I know no one in THIS thread is a clown, but obviously i have no way of knowing who you are unless you give me the secret passphrase.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

thus does rotor administer the controversial “clown test”, which he claims to be 100% accurate, though none have passed it yet

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
but it's at-will employment so you can just fire salaried employees if you want to? except you can't because hr is a gently caress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

well-read undead posted:

thus does rotor administer the controversial “clown test”, which he claims to be 100% accurate, though none have passed it yet

what?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

but it's at-will employment so you can just fire salaried employees if you want to? except you can't because hr is a gently caress

I mean like thats the trick right? If i could bounce people easily then I'd be like "ok, i looked at your resume, and after the 30 minute chat we had you seem like a normal human so yeah you're hired." But i cant, and getting rid of a bad hire is INSANELY difficult, here we are, with me asking for as much time as you can give me to interview.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

from a hiring perspective, IDEALLY i would hire people contract-to-perm because that would let me bounce clowns if it became clear that they were clowns. But, understandably, no one likes that, so the next best thing is to be real sure they're not clowns up front.

this is how we do it and it’s still aggravating because whoops the talent pool willing to deal with that is actually a puddle and also I still feel bad having to let people go, even if they made my job harder and made me have to do more work

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I will say the upside is I’ve never heard of an FTE getting canned before, so the job security is really nice, and the pay and bennies are good enough with the work/life balance

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

well-read undead posted:

i am gonna need you to whiteboard this with you: we have sixteen human resources in the car and we need to get at least four of them stuck in the rungs of this ladder and one to fall backward into this bucket of whitewash.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

what?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i am gonna need you to whiteboard this with you: we have sixteen human resources in the car and we need to get at least four of them stuck in the rungs of this ladder and one to fall backward into this bucket of whitewash.

ok my bad, maybe it’s eide that does the clown test, not rotor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

huh?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this is how we do it and it’s still aggravating because whoops the talent pool willing to deal with that is actually a puddle and also I still feel bad having to let people go, even if they made my job harder and made me have to do more work

anyone who makes me do more work deserves death, nothing less and nothing more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rotor posted:

anyone who makes me do more work deserves death, nothing less and nothing more

the only part that is even up for discussion is the manner of their death. shall it be immediate and painless? or prolonged and excruciating? really i would say it depends on whether the work can ultimately be pawned off on someone else