Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://attrition.org/gently caress/thefiles.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmfao too bad i didnt find that site when i was like 13. little me would have loved poo poo like this https://attrition.org/gently caress/www/fuck0028.htm

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

admin can I get a rename to “Slide N Gutz”

thx

https://store.somethingawful.com/products/namechange.php:10bux:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

buddy, they won't even let me-

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that thing just reminded me of bastard operator from hell

https://bofh.bjash.com/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

amd's "rage mode"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

that thing just reminded me of bastard operator from hell

https://bofh.bjash.com/

surprised to learn that http://bash.org/ still exists. also somehow the top 100 quotes are even more embarrassing than i rememebr

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

shtml

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

server side imagemaps

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Progressive JPEG posted:

server side imagemaps

:argh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Slicing a website out of a zillion tables

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Leperflesh posted:

haha amazing, you can telnet in and play LoRD and Global Wars.

I downloaded that file from Hot City BBS in about 1992 or so, most likely, but it was passed around a lot along with quite a lot of others.

Hot City was really awesome back in the day. I spent wayyyy too many hours on there.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Volmarias posted:

Slicing a website out of a zillion tables

developing for only one screen size and putting a message in the footer “this site is best viewed at 1024x768 resolution”

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

these days it's the opposite, a lot of windows desktop apps are unusable if you're below 720p. e.g. the top title bar and the bottom bit with OK/cancel buttons will just be off-screen so you cannot use it at all. a lot of websites do this as well, just falling to pieces if you're below 720p.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that is why 1366x768 continues to exist as a resolution on the cheapest shitbox computers

windows doesn't work properly below 768 vertical pixels + screen needs to be a 16:9 "HD" aspect ratio = 1366 pixels wide.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

that is why 1366x768 continues to exist as a resolution on the cheapest shitbox computers

windows doesn't work properly below 768 vertical pixels + screen needs to be a 16:9 "HD" aspect ratio = 1366 pixels wide.

yeah and it hasn’t since like. god. xp, maybe?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i swear XP would do 800x600 and reluctantly 640x480 (tho it would yell)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

these days it's the opposite, a lot of windows desktop apps are unusable if you're below 720p. e.g. the top title bar and the bottom bit with OK/cancel buttons will just be off-screen so you cannot use it at all. a lot of websites do this as well, just falling to pieces if you're below 720p.

actually to clarify on this, the main issues i seen are that mfers arent making apps with responsive UIs. this means they break not just on small resolutions but also on large resolutions with scaling enabled.

for example, here's the 8bitdo controller config software at 4K res with 300% scaling. the app cannot be resized at all so the bottom is just cut off. loving garbage.

lazy fuckin developers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

This is what happens when you tolerate proprietary solutions instead of Steam Input.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

steam can't configure profiles on a controller you doofus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sniep posted:

iirc 800x600 was the default resolution when first booting it (maybe it was 1024x768, but i really don't think so). anyway yeah you got a dumb little balloon notification when dropping it below that

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Sagebrush posted:

I bought an used thinkpad from my father's coworker, apparently it was supposed to be Full HD. It's 1366x766. Teams notifications take 1/10th of the screen surface. If 4 of them stack on top of each other, 1/rd of screen is covered. gently caress me why doesn't poo poo scale automatically on its own

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

This is what happens when you tolerate proprietary solutions instead of Steam Input.

because Steam Input(tm) is a totally open and non-proprietary solution

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This reminds me of the time I went to help a school mate with her computer* and after I was done, she asked me to make the icons bigger. After a short confusion I set the screen in WinXP to 640x480 and she was very happy about the result

*I'm requesting to submit to the record that no printers were involved that day

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

steam can't configure profiles on a controller you doofus

yeah the 8bitdo software is just for setting macros and changing deadzones, it’s not required software, I don’t think I’ve ever actually used it for a macro though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

laserghost posted:

I bought an used thinkpad from my father's coworker, apparently it was supposed to be Full HD. It's 1366x766. Teams notifications take 1/10th of the screen surface. If 4 of them stack on top of each other, 1/rd of screen is covered. gently caress me why doesn't poo poo scale automatically on its own

lol, yeah, manufacturers refer to 1366x768 as "full hd" because it's above 720p (1280x720)

it's complete bullshit

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

because Steam Input(tm) is a totally open and non-proprietary solution

that was the joke, thank you for explaining it to the slow people in the audience

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When bougie fucks wanted their mobile telephones to be as small as possible.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When bougie fucks wanted their mobile telephones to be as small as possible.

small phones rule and i will fight anyone who says otherwise

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, yeah, manufacturers refer to 1366x768 as "full hd" because it's above 720p (1280x720)

it's complete bullshit

i don't think i've seen this. i definitely seen it marketed as hd but full hd ime has always been explicitly 1080p or higher

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

small phones rule and i will fight anyone who says otherwise

The "Zippo" was way too small. Everyone kept losing them.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i don't think i've seen this. i definitely seen it marketed as hd but full hd ime has always been explicitly 1080p or higher

i haven't seen it recently, more like 5-10 years ago. but maybe it's not a canada thing? although i know you do kinda bounce around

they did it with tvs too. i think that was worse since there at least you should expect either 720p or 1080i/p

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The "Zippo" was way too small. Everyone kept losing them.

which one was that?

i think the smallest phone i had was a motorola v60c and i loved that thing. i used it for almost a decade

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i haven't seen it recently, more like 5-10 years ago. but maybe it's not a canada thing? although i know you do kinda bounce around

they did it with tvs too. i think that was worse since there at least you should expect either 720p or 1080i/p

hmm if you say so

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

which one was that?

i think the smallest phone i had was a motorola v60c and i loved that thing. i used it for almost a decade

The smallest Nokia. Trying to GIS it I guess there was a later one also called that but it was metallic-coloured.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my zippo only burns things

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

that was the joke, thank you for explaining it to the slow people in the audience

sorry, i deal with entirely too many people who would try to defend valve poo poo with nearly that exact statement without the slightest sense of irony

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

which one was that?

I loved this thing, you wear it around your neck with a lanyard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

installshield wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sniep posted:

you could get it down to 256*192 and other 15hz resolutions with custom drivers and stuff, same with windows 10. it’s useful for arcade emulation, but the UI is unusable at that res of course.