Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I do agree and I hope they'll at least address it next season instead of just moving on from it with no follow up. Dude was clearly in distress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just finished Deadloch on Prime, it was really good! Thanks for the recommendation, whichever poster it was.

Kate Box and Pamela Rabe were also in the completely bonkers show Wentworth that we finished watching this summer.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Patty Mahomes used his own production company to produce 'Quarterback'. And nobody told his wife that she should cut back on the lip injections.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I started the first season of Twin Peaks to watch along with the Nextlander "watchcast". I'd watched the season about a decade ago, but I don't remember a ton about it.

Apparently this time I somehow got the "international version" of the pilot, which was filmed to be a standalone feature. It confused the hell out of me, because it adds scenes from later in the series, as well as some stuff that didn't happen at all. It also reveals the identity of the killer. Not a big deal for me, but a pretty huge bummer for my wife, who hadn't seen the show before.

Like I said, I don't remember much, so I'm not sure how different the actual show turned out from the international version of the pilot. Can anyone tell me without being super-spoilery? Google has been unhelpful.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Reposted from the Streaming rhread:

Wolfsheim posted:

I also watched the first two eps of Soderbergh's new HBO show Full Circle and it rocks so far, has some slightly-more-grounded True Detective vibes. Hopefully that means it doesn't fall apart the same way lol

Not even 9 minutes in to the first episode: CCH Pounder, Tim Olyphant, Claire Danes, Zazie Beetz, and Jim Gaffigan. I'm sold just on the cast alone!

EDIT: poo poo I don't know I didn't recognize him in the funeral scene; Jharrel Jerome too and Dennis Quaid.

EDIT: Okay; 2 episodes in & I'm hooked. Also, Phaldut Sarma is knocking it out of the park in every scene he's in.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I started the first season of Twin Peaks to watch along with the Nextlander "watchcast". I'd watched the season about a decade ago, but I don't remember a ton about it.

Apparently this time I somehow got the "international version" of the pilot, which was filmed to be a standalone feature. It confused the hell out of me, because it adds scenes from later in the series, as well as some stuff that didn't happen at all. It also reveals the identity of the killer. Not a big deal for me, but a pretty huge bummer for my wife, who hadn't seen the show before.

Like I said, I don't remember much, so I'm not sure how different the actual show turned out from the international version of the pilot. Can anyone tell me without being super-spoilery? Google has been unhelpful.

Even if the same killer is revealed (is it? I forget), it's basically completely different and much better and you should keep going with the TV episodes. Those are what Lynch and Frost really wanted to make. The international pilot was just something they had to for the studio and they didn't really give a poo poo about it, bit just happened to have some nuggets they ended up using later on in the show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looking up the differences and what was added I don't think it would affect my enjoyment of the rest of the series at all.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Joburg posted:

Just finished Deadloch on Prime, it was really good! Thanks for the recommendation, whichever poster it was.

Kate Box and Pamela Rabe were also in the completely bonkers show Wentworth that we finished watching this summer.

:hfive:

Deadloch is definitely one of my favorite shows of the year, and all Goons should check it out. A fun murder mystery.

I'm fresh out of shows to watch so I'm thinking I finally might take on Fringe.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Reposted from the Streaming rhread:

Not even 9 minutes in to the first episode: CCH Pounder, Tim Olyphant, Claire Danes, Zazie Beetz, and Jim Gaffigan. I'm sold just on the cast alone!

EDIT: poo poo I don't know I didn't recognize him in the funeral scene; Jharrel Jerome too and Dennis Quaid.

EDIT: Okay; 2 episodes in & I'm hooked. Also, Phaldut Sarma is knocking it out of the park in every scene he's in.

Just finished the first episode and I'm done. The whole thing wasn't grabbing me too much but the ending sealed the deal. I'm sorry, but them not instantly calling the loving police when they realized what was going on is such a grotesque violation of my, "No loving rational human being on the planet would do this," clause that I'm not bothering. I can forgive a lot of stupid poo poo but for whatever reason, it really pissed me off.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just finished the first episode and I'm done. The whole thing wasn't grabbing me too much but the ending sealed the deal. I'm sorry, but them not instantly calling the loving police when they realized what was going on is such a grotesque violation of my, "No loving rational human being on the planet would do this," clause that I'm not bothering. I can forgive a lot of stupid poo poo but for whatever reason, it really pissed me off.

Funny you should mention that; I also had a "WTF?" reaction to it, especially because it's such a big part of what's moving the plot along. I powered thru it, though, and the second episode was even better than the first. As obnoxious as the conceit may be, this seems to be (in true Soderbergh fashion), more character-driven than anything else & I'm really digging the performances, particularly from all of the non-A Listers in the cast.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Somebody on Netflix. I'm having no luck with K-dramas lately. The description on Netflix is a bit misleading. This isn't a show about a psychotic killer, it was written by one. It must be, because I can't imagine anyone enjoying this unless they were also obsessed with business card stock and Huey Lewis' discography. Who seriously thought that any of this would be in any way entertaining?

Do you want to watch multiple extended scenes of friendless people sitting alone in a room silently texting with a chatbot on their phone? No you don't, or you would turn off your monitor.
Do you want to hear terribly written dialogue spoken with less emotion than a text-to-speech app? No you don't. Seriously, imagine someone reading a line like, "I just don't have the energy to rape you right now. I haven't eaten all day." in the same cadence that someone might use to ask you to verify the last four digits of your SSN.
Do you want to watch scenes of [CGI] animals in extreme distress after being fatally wounded? No you don't. You also don't want to watch someone masturbate while thinking about an animal that they killed. Not spoilered: that's not even the show's villain. That's your protagonist, folks.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

For All Mankind kinda sucks. A lot of the drama comes from characters doing unnecessarily stupid poo poo and loving up over and over.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

VostokProgram posted:

For All Mankind kinda sucks. A lot of the drama comes from characters doing unnecessarily stupid poo poo and loving up over and over.

So it’s basically Below Deck in space?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just finished watching Band of Brothers for what is probably the 10th time, but probably the first time in a decade as I just picked up the Blu-Rays.

gently caress that's a good series. Can't wait til my kids are old enough to watch it with me.

sad question
May 30, 2020

New season of Miracle Workers is starting and the theme is post apocalypse this time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't that the theme last time?

sad question
May 30, 2020

It was western last time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I finally started The Bear, and I’m only a few episodes in, and I’m so goddamn stressed out. Does it get less miserable? Goddamn.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Xealot posted:

I finally started The Bear, and I’m only a few episodes in, and I’m so goddamn stressed out. Does it get less miserable? Goddamn.

There's some feelgood eps in S2

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

sad question posted:

It was western last time.

Ah yes, woops, I got confused with Futureman

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Xealot posted:

Gets a lot worse before it gets any better mate

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wafflecopper posted:

There's some feelgood eps in S2

But then there's also... that one.

Merry Christmas!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Reached season 6 of Lost.

Is Kate Austin the worst written character in TV history? Five seasons of watching her making everyone's life worse with character motivations that make less and less sense as time goes on. She exists to be the person screaming "STOP" whenever someone is doing CPR too long, despite the fact that both she and the audience should be aware it has a 100% success rate.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

breadshaped posted:

Reached season 6 of Lost.

Is Kate Austin the worst written character in TV history? Five seasons of watching her making everyone's life worse with character motivations that make less and less sense as time goes on. She exists to be the person screaming "STOP" whenever someone is doing CPR too long, despite the fact that both she and the audience should be aware it has a 100% success rate.

She was the worst, really

That episode about the toy airplane was the most infuriating in the whole series

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kate was worse than Sawyer or Locke, and that's an accomplishment for the writers IMO.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Kate was a strong and interesting character to start but that quickly went off the rails. That said, she still wasn't a worse character than Ana Lucia.

Juliet 4 lyfe

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ana Lucia was great. :colbert:

I also thought Jack was very entertaining, but also a huge control freak and probably a horrible human being. Useful, said smart things, but also capable of descending into psychotic rages over nothing. e.g. the button saga, or the season five finale.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Full Circle is intriguing me, mainly for the cast.

I feel like they messed up the act order in a Guy Ritchie movie and we start with the end where 5 different groups of criminals converging on something. We don't know what that something is and why they want it but it's a lot of fun to watch.
To bring it all together you would need some serious flashbacks or razor sharp writing to reveal the backstory without it becoming exposition. The potential is there I feel, but it could be a complete disaster as well. At least it's only 6 episodes of a disaster.

Also it's cool to see Guyana get featured. I had no idea that there were 150k of them in New York out of a country less then a million.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
There was a point in the development of LOST when Kate was supposed to be the main character; the Jack character was going to be killed off at the end of the pilot (they wanted to cast a big name like Michael Keaton) and Kate would become the defacto leader. Of course that ended up not happening, it took away Kate's purpose and she wasn't really necessary. This becomes even more prominent later in the show when new strongly developed female characters are introduced and serve a purpose, like Juliet and Ana Lucia.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

clown shoes posted:

There was a point in the development of LOST when Kate was supposed to be the main character; the Jack character was going to be killed off at the end of the pilot (they wanted to cast a big name like Michael Keaton) and Kate would become the defacto leader. Of course that ended up not happening, it took away Kate's purpose and she wasn't really necessary. This becomes even more prominent later in the show when new strongly developed female characters are introduced and serve a purpose, like Juliet and Ana Lucia.

I dunno if this tracks tbh. It's not like Jack came into existence and every other good role on the show melted into vapour. And then they had six years to write Kate differently.

If they really hated the character they could have just dropped her down a mineshaft or something, the show wasn't shy about bumping off characters that they felt weren't working.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

LOST's fumbling the bag on all its great ideas is only second to GoT's final two seasons in storytelling history

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hughmoris posted:

Juliet 4 lyfe

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

LOST's fumbling the bag on all its great ideas is only second to GoT's final two seasons in storytelling history

The Lost/Battlestar Galactica one two punch demonstrating how much writers were just making poo poo up as they went along instead of actually having answers for the big mysteries they raised over the course of their series was pretty brutal. In retrospect though it's pretty impressive that they managed to hold things together as long as they did, because a ton of other twist/mystery shows since then have completely failed to capture the magic of the early seasons of both shows.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That’s more of an indictment of the “puzzle box” style of writing though.

You can fumble the ‘easy’ part (setting up fun mysteries) just as much the ‘hard’ part (resolving said mysteries.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Puzzle boxes can work. Fringe pretty well nailed it. Its last act failures had to do with inexplicably insisting on jumping the goddamn shark. I had big problems with Fringe S5, but they were very different problems from Lost's.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thwomp posted:

You can fumble the ‘easy’ part (setting up fun mysteries) just as much the ‘hard’ part (resolving said mysteries.

Babylon 5 isn't a puzzle box show, but a good example IMO of planning out a fairly complex plot-line beforehand and mostly executing it, even in the face of production adversities of multiple sorts. BSG and :lost: dropped the ball in the end, but for me the disappointment at the time came from the marketed (?) idea that the showrunners had a plan (pun unintended), but it turned out they were writing stuff with a philosophy more suited for Law and Order than a coherent story with a beginning, middle and end.

This is also why following Yellowjackets is a bit of a pain, because that show explicitly began with showing the viewers the middle of their story in the first episode, and it'd be... Nice if they had some kind of coherent plan on how to get there, and what to do with the other part of the show. I'm not sure if that show counts as puzzle box per se, but it's at least a mystery show of sorts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yellowjackets is absolutely a mystery box show. The genre tends to be driven by ontological mysteries rather than being driven by uncovering unknown identities (e.g. murder mysteries) or unknown motivations (a lot of thrillers). i.e. Mystery Box shows are based around discovering basic facts about the universe the show is set in, rather than anything else. Is the show sci-fi? Is it fantasy? Where are the characters and what is the nature of their reality? Is the show, or part of the show, just a simulation? Or a dream?

Yellowjackets absolutely plays into this, both in terms of constantly destablising ideas about what the concrete reality of the show is, but also by holding back the nature of various character's personalities and identities. Technically, the show hasn't even pinned down a genre -- sure, it's horror, but is it psychological or supernatural?

And yeah, sure, it also has murder mystery elements and thriller elements (who died? who's the killer? who's this stranger and how threatening is he?) but the genres tend to be very porous. Plus MBs love to pour on the unanswered questions, it's the nature of the beast.

Babylon 5 has some of this -- most shows do -- mostly based around the nature of various different visions and one or two secret identity reveals. But discovering those mysteries isn't a primary driver for the story's action, and the series will go for very long periods of time without mentioning any of those mysteries. MB shows mention them constantly. So yeah, I agree, not a mystery box.

I contest, however, that having a plot pre-determined obviates a show being a mystery box. Continuum is absolutely an example of a mystery box show, but that also had the nature of its reality determined far in advance of the show revealing "what was going on" (as it were). FROM is also probably one of the most mystery boxiest shows currently airing, and that's reportedly fully plotted out beforehand. Silo too has significant MB elements, and that's based on a completed series of novellas / books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fate Accomplice posted:

LOST's ending doesn't try any tricks to outthink the audience, it just wraps things up in a very conventional and predictable way. It's disappointing rather than disastrous.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Thwomp posted:

I like the way The Leftovers did it, where they set up a fun mystery that didn't need to be resolved. The whole premise was that the characters had to cope with the fact that the mystery was unexplainable and unfixable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Doctor Spaceman posted:

LOST's ending doesn't try any tricks to outthink the audience, it just wraps things up in a very conventional and predictable way. It's disappointing rather than disastrous.

I dont think it was exactly predictable, but really conventional and unsatisfying. It didint ruin the series for me, which is still one of my favorites, the ride there up until before the last season was pretty good anyway.

The whole last season was really a disappointment but I dont think is on the same level of bad of GoT. GoT is actually a different problem: the endind itself is not bad, if you think about it: its the execution that is terrible and how they get there to that ending that is rushed and dumb and packed with stupid stuff. GoT imo started to become bad at season 5

Lost, at the other hand, was just the final season that was really disappointing

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 20, 2023