Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that's a ripoff. vs code is where it's at.

also, if anyone hasn't tried the official microsoft Terminal app available from the store, check it out. i found it the other day and it's pretty dang great. it's tabbed and supports all the different interfaces so you can run a traditional cmd prompt, a powershell window, and a WSL terminal all simultaneously in different tabs. it also different color themes and even the fun gimmick where it renders text with scanlines and glow. i like it

it ships with windows 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

idk if i posted about this before but i gotta say since microsoft started allowing msix apps on the Microsoft Store it's actually become a dope way to install poo poo.

i got a new laptop at work recently and decided to try and install as much as i could via the Microsoft Store. managed to get Firefox, Paint.NET, Python, PowerShell 7, Sysinternals and VS Code all via the Microsoft Store. prolly some others im forgetting about.

there are some issues in that they're not all user-mode installers and some fail horribly if you can't elevate to admin.

anyway im kinda impressed with the amount of poo poo you can install from Microsoft Store these days. also the fact that installing from there means you dont have to worry about updating is great. poo poo ive even seen the Sysinternals install from Microsoft Store update, the whole package but just a minor update for RDC.

so yeah, if you don't give a gently caress use Microsoft Store to install poo poo if you can it's easy and piss

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh also i wouldnt trust the Microsoft Store at all lol. i used to use the Kodi install from the Microsoft Store back when they allowed MSI because it was a simple way for me to update until microsoft blocked the MSI or some poo poo and i was forced onto the UWP version of Kodi that can't access any files outside your user profile, effectively rendering it useless lol.

so yeah idk swings and roundabouts. but if you have to use intune at work well its easier than ever to push poo poo from the Microsoft Store through intune to your clients

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

akadajet posted:

2021… and it costs $99

it got updated in late 2022:

https://www.sublimetext.com/blog/#:~:text=Sublime%20Text%204%2C%20build%204142,home%20due%20to%20the%20pandemic.

does sort of beg the question what they’ve been working on for the past 8 months though.

i was the biggest VScode evangelist in my previous job but i’ve been using sublime for a bit and i do enjoy the speed and purity of purpose that sublime has. VScode feels pretty fkn slow especially when you have a bunch of extensions and it tends to choke on really large files. it also feels kind of jank when you want to have multiple windows. i fully admit this may just be my rationalising paying $99 for a text editor that’s barely getting updates tho. i’m sure i’ll he pulled back eventually

the git integration in vscode is absolutely sick though, especially with the gitlens plugin. i do really miss it. what else?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hey op are you interested in a GitLens Pro subscription???

ok we'll ask you again later

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I like code (codium, really) but the ominous moment for me was when I had to start deciding whether to trust every drat file I open. Feels a lot like ms office just kowtowing to the idea that any document could be malicious. Fine for word docs with macros and poo poo, but code is supposed to be a text editor. really undermined my trust in the app and its whole plugin ecosystem. I still use it and I get that there just isn't a perfect solution, but it sucks

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

it ships with windows 11

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened windows terminal and ssh was available and just worked

the ms store seems extremely shady and I don’t trust anything that I didn’t get from a direct link from the developers website. there are tons of scam apps and I’m sure malicious repackages of legit software is rampant

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

burning swine posted:

I like code (codium, really) but the ominous moment for me was when I had to start deciding whether to trust every drat file I open. Feels a lot like ms office just kowtowing to the idea that any document could be malicious. Fine for word docs with macros and poo poo, but code is supposed to be a text editor. really undermined my trust in the app and its whole plugin ecosystem. I still use it and I get that there just isn't a perfect solution, but it sucks

vs code isn't a text editor it's an IDE. that you thought otherwise is either ignorance, lack of imagination or both.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 12, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

the ms store seems extremely shady and I don’t trust anything that I didn’t get from a direct link from the developers website. there are tons of scam apps and I’m sure malicious repackages of legit software is rampant

agreed, and i should have mentioned this earlier: only download an important thing from the Microsoft Store if there's a direct link to the store page on the vendor's site.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jenny Agutter posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened windows terminal and ssh was available and just worked

yeah, i was troubleshooting a network problem for my dad the other day and was pleasantly surprised that the curl binary apparently ships with windows now. very useful, helped me figure out he had a busted proxy server set up for whatever reason

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

VS code’s “find in selection” is completely broken and doesn’t work properly ever. why?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

vs code isn't a text editor it's an IDE. that you thought otherwise is either ignorance, lack of imagination or both.

Yeah that's fair

it's both

First IDE I've used that has a public repository of plugins that it leans on heavily, which is the source of the trust issue. P much just how things are these days

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's an IDE in the same way emacs is an IDE

which is to say, it can be, but janky

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Private Speech posted:

it's an IDE in the same way emacs is an IDE

which is to say, it can be, but janky

don’t put that evil on my friend vs code

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

nah SKUs are identical, only thing new to learn is the portal, aad.portal.azure.com redirects to entra.microsoft.com as of several weeks ago.

once again, literally nothing has changed other than the name, thus netting some product manager a promotion? idk

New A record who dis

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

New A record who dis

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah that was worth a toaster alert when I logged in this morning

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
power bi is a sex thing, right?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*points at username * sure is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

what do you want the middle manager in charge to do, not get a bonus for juicing his quarterly metrics?

do you have any idea how expensive private schools in seattle are?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

don’t put that evil on my friend vs code

vscode is literally emacs but with javascript instead of lisp, sorry if this truth upsets you

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

vscode is literally emacs but with javascript instead of lisp, sorry if this truth upsets you

at least the plugins are first party

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

some, anyway

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

more like power bm

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
this isn't the coffee thread!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
vs code is cool because of how light it is and how it does everything, i'd rather use regular vs for windows apps though. but I think vs code killed a lot of income to others like jetbrains and atom

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soricidus posted:

even if it were functionally identical to emacs (it isn't), vs code still would be better because it's untainted by stallman

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
anything that isn't maintained by stallman is better

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Celexi posted:

vs code is cool because of how light it is and how it does everything, i'd rather use regular vs for windows apps though. but I think vs code killed a lot of income to others like jetbrains and atom

vs code is the best text editor on linuxes because even though it sucks its incredible compared to what they're used to

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atom was one of the quickest uninstalls of my life. i downloaded it, ran the installer, was bothered that it wouldn't let me choose the destination folder, and spent about half an hour digging through only to discover that you can't change the destination folder because some insane open sores prick has a personal vendetta against installing anything outside of your user folder and he closes all the github issues relating to this.

i sighed and installed it where he wanted, booted it up, and waited like fifteen loving seconds while a loving text editor loaded. created a new document and watched the interface lag around as it did whatever poo poo it does. i don't know how they hosed it up so bad but well done boys. you made vs code but worse in every way.

straight to uninstaller

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hahahah yessss i missed this

https://github.blog/2022-06-08-sunsetting-atom/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i sighed and installed it where he wanted, booted it up, and waited like fifteen loving seconds while a loving text editor loaded.

this is the power of javascript

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
vim loads up really fast

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yes but then you have to wait for a real text editor to open to perform useful work

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
atom is literally the project that electron sprung from (clue is in their names) so for that may it forever burn in hell

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

atom was one of the quickest uninstalls of my life.

same atom sucked poo poo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

atom is literally the project that electron sprung from (clue is in their names) so for that may it forever burn in hell

they called it electron because it has negative value

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

The open xml standard for xlsx files has been used to identify likely falsified data in a pretty ironic case of academic fraud (by someone with a research interest in dishonesty),
It’s kind of interesting to see how calculations are marked up.

quote:

CalcChain tells Excel in which order to carry out the calculations in the spreadsheet. It tells Excel something like "First solve the formula in cell A1, then the one in A2, then B1, etc." CalcChain is short for 'calculation chain'.

The image shows how, when one unzips the posted Excel file, one can navigate to this calcChain.xml file (it is easier to read .xml files in a browser, say Firefox).

CalcChain is so useful here because it will tell you whether a cell (or row) containing a formula has been moved, and where it has been moved to. That means that we can use calcChain to go back and see what this spreadsheet may have looked like back in 2010, before it was tampered with!

https://datacolada.org/109

The Killing Jelq fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 15, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Killing Jelq posted:

The open xml standard for xlsx files has been used to identify likely falsified data in a pretty ironic case of academic fraud (by someone with a research interest in dishonesty),
It’s kind of interesting to see how calculations are marked up.

https://datacolada.org/109

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Celexi posted:

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but Visual Studio 2003 (aka VS .NET) loaded instantly on a P4 with a spinning rust HDD and worked on 10K line files with no issues.