Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There's already 6 different Pikachu from 4 different Asian exclusive aviation events, so my event dex has been ruined for years. The important part is cowboy hat Snorlax being global next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I already have 4 catch goobers, hard to justify buying another

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do the sleep thing is different than the PokeBall thing I bought forever ago?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

HootTheOwl posted:

Do the sleep thing is different than the PokeBall thing I bought forever ago?

It's an improved version.

You can set it to work like a got-cha so it will catch and spin stuff without having to press a button. You can also set it so if you do click the button for a pokemon, it'll use great balls or ultra balls instead. And then it can kinda track your sleep, my girlfriend got 2500 stardust, two hearts with her buddy and a sticker just from having the puck next to her pillow.

the app that makes full use of the sleeping thing will come out today/tomorrow

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Here are my 3 "Beat Cliff with just 2 pokemon" videos

first Aerodactyl-Gallade-Tyranitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJn5jBLeHFo

second Aerodactyl-Gallade-Tyranitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WzpsMUYQg

Aerodactyl-Cradily-Tyranitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6RCeLanLxI

Power Up Punch yourself to victory and exploit every stun period.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Oh yeah, and the reason you want to beat Cliff with just 2 pokemon is that then you can use the third slot for your favorite level 1 shiny magicarp for the buddy heart. If you don't care about buddy hearts, you can put a machamp, conkeldurr, lucario or terrakion (for example) to kick tyranitar's rear end if your other 2 pokemon faint

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Wheany posted:

Oh yeah, and the reason you want to beat Cliff with just 2 pokemon is that then you can use the third slot for your favorite level 1 shiny magicarp for the buddy heart. If you don't care about buddy hearts, you can put a machamp, conkeldurr, lucario or terrakion (for example) to kick tyranitar's rear end if your other 2 pokemon faint

I have never hated a quest line task more than the “have 10 best buddies” one. I’m currently at 5 and that’s only because I had two before it started. Unless you buy poffins it is the WORST daily grind

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

GPTribefan posted:

I have never hated a quest line task more than the “have 10 best buddies” one. I’m currently at 5 and that’s only because I had two before it started. Unless you buy poffins it is the WORST daily grind

find 10 Kecleon, if you don't have a local map, is pretty high up there too.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Managed to get a 3x showcase win by having my middling snorlax on remote pokestops. The rewards were:
4500 stardust
1 egg incubator
1 silver pinap berry
9 ultra balls
1 super incubator
2 star pieces
1 rainy lure module
15000 XP

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've been getting best buddies one by one since the mechanic came out and I only have 50. Ran out of mons I wanted to BB quite a while ago...

Wheany posted:

Here are my 3 "Beat Cliff with just 2 pokemon" videos

Power Up Punch yourself to victory and exploit every stun period.

Nice guides for those having trouble, but the two issues are none of the Aero you showed had Bite, which is the only difficult fast move, it's such a relief seeing Rock Throw or Steel Wing, since you know that's a guaranteed victory. Also rocket leaders get stronger the higher level you are, so facing a Bite Aerodactyl at level 50 can be a pain, even for me using Lucario or Terrakion. Compared to the Aero you're facing, the ones at level 50 had around 600 more CP. It's not a huge difference, but everything adds up. I've had better luck using my maxed out Magnezone and hoping at least 1 of the 3 Mirror Shots I get off before I'm chewed up proc an attack drop. I should try Poliwrath though, especially since it's about to get Counter for CD in a couple weeks, that'll be a nice damage/energy balance compared to Mud Shot or Bubble.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

GPTribefan posted:

Cowslips Warren posted:

find 10 Kecleon, if you don't have a local map, is pretty high up there too.

I used (I'm pretty sure) every free poffin ever given, and it still took me almost 3 months to get from 2 to 10 best buddies. Currently at 9/10 Kecleon and haven't seen one in two weeks. :shepicide:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Crosspeice posted:

I've been getting best buddies one by one since the mechanic came out and I only have 50. Ran out of mons I wanted to BB quite a while ago...

Nice guides for those having trouble, but the two issues are none of the Aero you showed had Bite, which is the only difficult fast move, it's such a relief seeing Rock Throw or Steel Wing, since you know that's a guaranteed victory. Also rocket leaders get stronger the higher level you are, so facing a Bite Aerodactyl at level 50 can be a pain, even for me using Lucario or Terrakion. Compared to the Aero you're facing, the ones at level 50 had around 600 more CP. It's not a huge difference, but everything adds up. I've had better luck using my maxed out Magnezone and hoping at least 1 of the 3 Mirror Shots I get off before I'm chewed up proc an attack drop. I should try Poliwrath though, especially since it's about to get Counter for CD in a couple weeks, that'll be a nice damage/energy balance compared to Mud Shot or Bubble.

Interesting idea with Poliwrath. Not sure I will wanna power up one past an Ultra league CP though. Ultra League Poliwrath is bulkier than a level 50 Lucario, might actually do better for Cliff once it has Counter.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Crosspeice posted:

I wouldn't use counter on my team rocket poliwrath anyway because the fast move damage is almost irrelevant. It's all about the energy management, killing the shields and brute forcing pokemon with fully powered up dynamic punches.

I'll see if I can get a bite aerodactyl encounter at any point. Those 3 battles have not been cherry picked, they're the first 3 Cliff battles I've had since deciding to make new videos about it. It could be that metagross takes too much damage from bite to be useful, but its main function is to tank whatever damage it can and let the aerodactyl build up energy so that hopefully it will use its charge attack once or twice against the poliwrath (because that gives another window to build up more energy).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Poliwrath + some other pokemon works against any team rocket leader as far as I can remember, the only difficult one is Aerodactyl. Maybe if the second pokemon is a gardevoir or something else that chews up fighting types and tanks fairly well, then poliwrath might be in trouble.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
It looks like I'm not going to be able to do this hatch event. I start work at 2pm that day and I won't be anywhere near a pokestop to get any eggs.

Will eggs received from postcards during this event count or will the event eggs only come from pokestops?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It looks like I'm not going to be able to do this hatch event. I start work at 2pm that day and I won't be anywhere near a pokestop to get any eggs.

Will eggs received from postcards during this event count or will the event eggs only come from pokestops?

Can you be more specific?
7k or 2k eggs?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Looks like the pokewalker isn't enough for a sleepy Snorlax:(

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

HootTheOwl posted:

Can you be more specific?
7k or 2k eggs?

Whatever event eggs that "might" contain a Riolu.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Whatever event eggs that "might" contain a Riolu.

Oh, you'll need 2k eggs, those only come from poke stops.
But, if your egg inventory is empty and you soon a stop to get an egg the odds will be"locked in" then and you won't have to hatch it too.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm full up with 5 and 10km eggs. Really wish they'd let you trash eggs but I guess then they couldn't sell incubators

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh, you'll need 2k eggs, those only come from poke stops.
But, if your egg inventory is empty and you soon a stop to get an egg the odds will be"locked in" then and you won't have to hatch it too.

Darnit! Thank you for the clarification. I'll try to work something out.

Opopanax posted:

I'm full up with 5 and 10km eggs. Really wish they'd let you trash eggs but I guess then they couldn't sell incubators

No way to trash and no way to add more spaces. At least you can get more postcard space though...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wheany posted:

Poliwrath + some other pokemon works against any team rocket leader as far as I can remember, the only difficult one is Aerodactyl. Maybe if the second pokemon is a gardevoir or something else that chews up fighting types and tanks fairly well, then poliwrath might be in trouble.

Close, the rarest mon Cliff can have is Gallade, which will murder any Fighting types with Charm or Confusion. Magnezone still works for me since it can Wild Charge Slowking, resists whatever Cradily wants to do, and doesn't immediately die to Gallade's Low Kick, mainly to confirm it has that move for the second mon.

I'd run PuP and then Scald or maybe Ice Punch on Poliwrath for that reason, Dynamicpunch is a little slow for Rockets, it's why I find fast move damage more useful, since I use a lot of cheap charged attacks that don't do a lot of damage to compensate. I just find it fun to theorycraft since as I'm approaching 10k Rocket battles I have no issue with any of them, so it's nice when an actual hard Pokemon comes around. Also I still need a hundo Aero for the mega. And the shiny. Eh, let's make it a shundo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Crosspeice posted:

I'd run PuP and then Scald or maybe Ice Punch on Poliwrath for that reason, Dynamicpunch is a little slow for Rockets

I looked at scald, even put it on my #2 poliwrath to test it, because it looked like it was more spammable than dynamic punch while still having STAB, but it's not. It has the exact same timing as dynamic punch when using mudshot as the fast move (6-6-5-6), according to https://pvpoke.com/moves/explore/.

Scald seems to have some a chance of debuffing the opponent's attack, that could save you in a very tight fight, but it's not dependable.

e: Also against Gardevoir specifically mudshot-scald does almost double damage compared to mudshot-dynamic punch, since gardevoir double-resists fighting

Wheany fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 17, 2023

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APZ0V40Iak8
Here's cliff with bite-aerodactyl, slowking and tyranitar. Using an alternative team of a magnezone, scald-poliwrath. I might have been able to get Metagross to work wit s couple of tries. it's not like the magnezone is especially tanky either

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've only been around for a handful of spotlight hours these past few of months and I've yet to see a single shiny amongst the hordes that pop up.

I had a fight with Cliff earlier and it didn't go too terribly. It was right on the brink of my break ending so I scrambled a team together from the top of the CP pile as quickly as I could. The roster is far from being optimised and there's still a lot of powering up to do, but I chose Melmetal, Haxorus and Rhyperior at random. Melmetal was taking hits from Aerodactyl like a champ and was close to taking it down, but eventually it fell just short of doing so. Haxorus barely put in a dent but was useful in spamming powers and thankfully Cradily is made of glass. With Rhyperior and Tyranitar it was a war of attrition and Rhyperior came out on top. It was a quick, scrappy battle bit I'll take the win.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've only been around for a handful of spotlight hours these past few of months and I've yet to see a single shiny amongst the hordes that pop up.

I got a shiny Binacle from the one we had a couple weeks ago. Seems to be normal shiny rate for spotlight hours.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Squirtle makeup community day this Sunday

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1681385948913840129

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:woop: :woop:

That was me. My game refused to login partway through the thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

mini review of the go plus + (what a dumb name) after just using it while driving my girlfriend to work and then doing a couple errands:
-The auto-connect is the best feature by a mile. Simply tapping the grayed out icon on the app without having to tap the device itself is great, deffo smoother than the 4 OKs i had to hit with the gotcha pro
-Feels kinda slow to boot, however. Like it's going through a few things before it gets to the catching stage.
-IDK if this is new to go plus + but being able to not do phone notifications is great. I greatly appreciate the phone not vibrating for everything and instead the device does, keeps me kinda aware of how much i'm catching and missing while it's in my pocket.
-The sleep thing is a bit clumsy, it's just like 4 steps so i'm still getting used to it and missing some nights by forgetting a step (such as starting it). I think they could've done the snorlax research a bit better by chopping it up into a few more steps, like one of the researches should've been to do the sleep tracking one night, and then 2 and then either 4 or the full week. Just to feel rewarded while getting into the habit of it because as is, it's basically a week+ gate on finishing the whole thing.
-The size of hte thing is kinda too big, but at the same time it's so big that if i'm doing the manual catches with the great balls, i can just tap my pocket to do it rather than feel the need to hold a tiny thing like hte original go plus or the pokeball.
-I think it's worth looking into. I think Pokemon Sleep was resurrected from its grave just for this lmao. A third party device needs to send all the sleeping info before it properly starts, so a copycat will probably be a new device rather than your current gotcha updating to use the new features, and idk how easy the sleep tracking will be able to be mimicked. Normally I'd say just keep it in mind in case your current device breaks, but the past seven years have made it clear that these things will sell out and be limited, seasonal things rather than something you can buy off the shelf whenever you feel like. So, idk, get FOMO'd maybe?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
To add, it won't grab up incense mon, and for great and ultra I think you need to tap the button still. But not red balls.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yup, so now it's a sub-menu in settings to go to "accessory" settings. In the Go Plus + tab you have the new auto catch option you can turn on which only uses normal pokeballs, and under that there's an expanded capture option (where the device vibrates and then you tap it) where you select which type of ball to use. You can have both turned on at the same time, but auto-capture will go off first in that case.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

You neglected to mention Pikachu singing twinkle twinkle little star every time you set it to sleep mode.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Sleep app is out and it tells you that Pikachu's singing can be stopped by pressing the button again thank god.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
it should be Jigglypuff singing!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Used the thing some more, btw the instruction booklet mentioned silent mode so i turned that on immediately after Pikachu started its bullshit, and it's kinda wonderful on the main way my girlfriend and I play go. The town we live in is fairly small, so downtown is just a handful of blocks over one one-way street. It's perfect for looping the street a couple times to fill up item bags or go off a block to park and walk a while. Device staid on task pertty well, but above all, it spun stops on the way there while I was driving normally. Like, I was going 45 and it buzzed to tell me it spun the stop I passed by without me slowing down at all. I wouldn't have slowed down just for a stop on a street like that, mind you, but I don't think any pokemon go device i've had 'till now registered stops that fast.

thread title time
https://pokemongolive.com/post/routes-new-feature-blaze-new-trails?hl=en
Routes have been added. You record a route you walk and it gives some bonuses? New event starts tomorrow to use them to get Zygarde and Zygarde Cells

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 20, 2023

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

thread title time
https://pokemongolive.com/post/routes-new-feature-blaze-new-trails?hl=en
Routes have been added. You record a route you walk and it gives some bonuses? New event starts tomorrow to use them to get Zygarde and Zygarde Cells

Nice! I was wondering how new Routes got added. Looks like you have to actually go out and "record" one yourself by walking it, and then submit it for review. There's plenty of parks nearby with good walking loops and trails and stuff.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like how you can't zoom the route selection screen out at all to see if there are any at any distance whatsoever, and how they rolled this out largely before rolling out people actually being able to make routes

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 20, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Do routes have to start and end in a defined place?

We have a nice lake in a park with a 1.6km path around it, but you would conceivably want to start the "route" from any one of maybe 3 places.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like how you can't zoom the route selection screen out at all to see if there are any at any distance whatsoever, and how they rolled this out largely before rolling out people actually being able to make routes

I understand that they wanted to start the event alongside the launch of routes but they really didn't think this through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

To complete this research you need to walk along routes!

There are no nearby routes.

You cannot make any new routes.

What a game.