Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Qubee posted:

Is OnAir still the go-to career addon thingy? Game made MSFS an absolute blast to play and I'm wanting to pick it up again. I got really hooked at one point doing night flights and hauling cargo.

I haven’t tried that one, neofly is pretty cool and it’s free.

Edit: just looked at a video about onair and it looks pretty similar to neofly in that it’s a separate windows app with a spreadsheet and a map for missions and ties into the flight sim API. I don’t see what makes onair worth €10 a month since it’s basically the same thing as neofly.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

GutBomb posted:

I haven’t tried that one, neofly is pretty cool and it’s free.

Thanks, I'm going to give that a go and if it gets me hooked, I'll stick with it.

There were some really cool moments in this game with fellow Goons. We were all playing OnAir at one point and it was great seeing people doing runs and coordinating.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Neofly also has a couple of neat paid add ons. Nothing crucial, but some cutesy/dorky fluff. Community really helpful, too.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Neofly was always my favourite, it has a bigger variety of fun mission types rather than "pretend you're running a passenger/freight service from A to B". Not played it or the others in quite a while though so maybe something else has come along in the past year, but I got a lot of fun out of Neofly.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
God I hope I never have to deal with this poo poo after MSFS2024.

I just want my skytrucking.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s a little more curated and driven but it has a “in-character” vibe to it and I like it - The Skypark by Parallel 42. They’re a great dev if you like weird immersive things that maybe aren’t specifically study level tube liners.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It’s a little more curated and driven but it has a “in-character” vibe to it and I like it - The Skypark by Parallel 42. They’re a great dev if you like weird immersive things that maybe aren’t specifically study level tube liners.

This kinda looks like exactly what I want oh poo poo

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Spaced God posted:

This kinda looks like exactly what I want oh poo poo

It’s very neat and I like the silly good/evil missions and stuff a lot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Does this work in VR yet?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Does this work in VR yet?

I don’t know unfortunately but I bet not unless you use some “pin a window in VR” type of thing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have some good joystick recommendations? I remember coming across an American shop that had some really high quality gear, one joystick in particular looked great and you clamped it to the desk.

I've always used the cheap(ish) sticks and wanted to try something a bit better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have some good joystick recommendations? I remember coming across an American shop that had some really high quality gear, one joystick in particular looked great and you clamped it to the desk.

I've always used the cheap(ish) sticks and wanted to try something a bit better.

You know how hard it is to not make a dick joke here right

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I recommend deez nuts. :smug: lmao GOT'EM

The Logitech X-series is the way to go in my opinion. I have the X52 H.O.T.A.S. and like it quite a bit, and the newest from them is the X56 H.O.T.A.S. and that one is suppose to be really good.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I can not recommend a X52 in TYOOL 2023. It is of inferior quality and has terrible sensors. It is also not supported by anyone anymore.

There are for example these: https://www.vkbcontrollers.com/products/gladiator-nxt-evo-space-combat-edition-right-hand

Which are awesome to start with and hold up really well in advanced use.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

I can not recommend a X52 in TYOOL 2023. It is of inferior quality and has terrible sensors. It is also not supported by anyone anymore.

That is fair! That is just what I have, got it when it was still a relevant and fine joystick but I am wanting to replace it at this point.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Gladiator NXT is fantastic, I'm very happy with mine. Do not buy a Logitech joystick.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah I have not touched my x52 stick since I got the VKB gladiator.

My X52 is old enough that I had to remove all the soft rubber with alcohol since it got sticky as hell.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I went through that process with mine when MSFS came out a few years ago, but the joystick didn't last long before the sensor went on the fritz. I think the magnets were corroded or something, and it was completely loving up the hall-effect sensor. I ended up tossing the joystick out and buying the VKB instead. I'm still using the throttle that came with the X52 though. It's... fine, I guess.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have a modern X52 Pro ... it seems supported well?

The one weird thing I've noticed is that sometimes the lights on it flicker, but it seems to be the din-5 cable connection joining the joystick to the throttle at fault. If I push it in it seems to reliably correct it. But the flickering hasn't affected performance.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
None of these career mode things are on the XBox marketplace I take it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

None of these career mode things are on the XBox marketplace I take it.

They're all external windows apps so no

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Gladiator NXT is fantastic, I'm very happy with mine. Do not buy a Logitech joystick.

This.

I picked up a VKB Gladiator NXT Premium (Non-Evo) off of SA-Mart a couple of weeks ago and I've been very impressed with it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 20, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have some good joystick recommendations?

This question comes down to one of budget.
What price bracket are you looking at? Are you looking for just the stick, or a stick + throttle combo?

As a general rule, anything that sits in the classic brand space of Logitech / Saitek or Thrustmaster will be… workable, but no longer actually good. Even their supposedly high-end stuff. They've been resting on their laurels for ages and have been left far behind in terms of functionality, quality, and build (and modding) principles, but they're commonly available at semi-sensible prices and are often auto-detected in many games with pre-existing profiles for them. And even when the companies come out with new gear, it's still old tech and old principles so it's slightly antiquated right out of the gate.

If you want good these days, you're looking at one of the more boutique manufacturers: VKB, WinWing, and Virpil (in rough ascending order of cost). Oh, and MFG, but that's mainly for pedals and accessories. They cost a bit more than the good old boys, but are actually built properly and fit modern design sensibilities. The high-end models are truly programmable — as in, you (semi)permanently reprogram the hardware so the functionality becomes plug-and-play everywhere forever, rather than run some software translation layer where you have to juggle profiles and make sure everything is running properly to make the controller behave.

Anything you get from those three will be good, and you can fit to your budgetary needs and constraints.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So if you wanted to know about flight stick longevity, both the Extreme 3D Pro and the X52 show up in The Expanse.

200 years and still in production.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
For civsim I have a t16000m stick and a pair of little logitech three lever throttle quadrants and some thrustmaster pedals. Cheap and cheerful and doesn't take up much space. A second hat on the stick might have been nice but I have no complaints. For milsim you'd want something totally different of course.

I had an X52 during the great peripheral drought of 2020 and it was absolutely godawful. The throttle would recoil back by 10% after moving it and the stick was huge for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Thrustmaster T.16000M is the answer if you want something cheaper than the VKB but still decent. The joystick on its own is $80 with free shipping on Amazon, while the VKB is $135 currently + maybe $30 - $40 shipping (I paid $40 a couple years ago). Or the T.16000M HOTAS set is $162. It's a solid starter kit that I'd recommend over any logitech kit. The biggest complaint I see about it is that the throttle rail is a little jerky and difficult to make fine adjustments with, but people have used silicone lube to smooth out the motion to good effect.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 20, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to get the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I said come in! posted:

Mine has served me well over the last almost-decade, but from what I understand, I've been lucky in not having it develop any of its common issues, and compared to what's out there right now, it's not really top tier any more. If you can get it at a hefty discount, it's a solid piece of kit that you can bludgeon badgers with, but for full price? Not worth it any more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tippis posted:

Mine has served me well over the last almost-decade, but from what I understand, I've been lucky in not having it develop any of its common issues, and compared to what's out there right now, it's not really top tier any more. If you can get it at a hefty discount, it's a solid piece of kit that you can bludgeon badgers with, but for full price? Not worth it any more.

That is a bummer to hear! I am very out of touch on what is good for Joysticks now in the mid to high range.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I own a thrustmaster warthog and it's so good that I'm buying a different throttle to replace it.

VKB is launching their new throttle this month, and I'm either buying that or the virpil CM3 while it's on their 20% sale.

If you've got warhog money, I'd recommend the VKB throttle and their ~$135-165 stick.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Virpil are having a sale till the end of the month... Watch out for courier and customs charges if you're not close to one of their hubs though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

VKB is launching their new throttle this month, and I'm either buying that or the virpil CM3 while it's on their 20% sale.

Okay, that is looking sexy. $220 for the STECS Mini Plus, huh? The standard also looks interesting, but it may be too bulky for my current setup.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I remember when that throttle was coming out next year...5 years ago.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bondematt posted:

So if you wanted to know about flight stick longevity, both the Extreme 3D Pro and the X52 show up in The Expanse.

200 years and still in production.
But the Rocinante also flew with a Space Mouse for a while. Guess y'all should get that one for MSFS.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

After being impressed with my VKB Gladiator, I was kicking around the idea of picking up a NXT Omni to replace my Throttle. Probably going to get a STECS instead now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

I own a thrustmaster warthog and it's so good that I'm buying a different throttle to replace it.

If you've got warhog money, I'd recommend the VKB throttle and their ~-165 stick.

I have no idea why you still use the Old Reddit layout, that post was an absolute eyesore to read until I realised I could switch it to modern Reddit.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Qubee posted:

I have no idea why you still use the Old Reddit layout, that post was an absolute eyesore to read until I realised I could switch it to modern Reddit.

Lol this may be the first time I've ever seen anyone prefer the new reddit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I said come in! posted:

The Warthog was the stick that launched the modern HOTAS market, but it’s very much no longer the king of the heap; There’s just too many superior options out there now. Still super solid though if you can get it at a discount.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Qubee posted:

Is OnAir still the go-to career addon thingy? Game made MSFS an absolute blast to play and I'm wanting to pick it up again. I got really hooked at one point doing night flights and hauling cargo.

NeoFly 4 just came out in public release this month. The UI takes a bit to get used to but it's free if you want to just be a solo pilot and work your way up into purchasing other planes so you can run more cargo or passengers. If you want to hire pilots and have them fly missions, it's an additional :10bux: (iirc). If you want to start an airline and have a FBO, it's another :10bux:. NeoFly has been my go-to for a career addon with a sense of progression

There's also one called The Skypark ($30 I think) which has a very slick UI that makes it look like you are using an ipad. This one is mainly pick a place, pick a mission, and pick whatever aircraft you want to fly. It rewards you with money and rep but not sure if they added anything that uses it yet. This one is great if you just want to fly with a purpose but don't want to worry about buying planes or pilots.

OnAir... Used to be fun with goons a couple years ago but it's my understanding they nerfed a lot of things and most people stopped using it because what they were doing + charging a monthly fee just wasn't worth it.

Another free career mode thing is FSE I think. I signed into it once and the UI was confusing and seemed to be geared towards running airline routes in big planes so I didn't really give it a chance.

Id suggest starting with free NeoFly 4 and seeing how you like it

Quick edit: one thing I liked about onAir is that the UI could set up the cargo weight in the sim for you, for some reason the other options are unable to do that so like in NeoFly you need to make sure your airplane weight in sim is set to same or greater then the mission otherwise you won't get the full bonus

Danith fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for joystick recommendations. I have pivoted to VKB for next joystick.