Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's what half this subforum is called at work.

it's true, but you shouldn't say it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

3D Megadoodoo posted:

dsyp

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I just remembered the Yo app getting funding

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
didnt the yo app have a setting to yo at you every time israel bombed palestine or was it the other way?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

didnt the yo app have a setting to yo at you every time israel bombed palestine or was it the other way?

the other way. every time you yo'd israel would bomb palestine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
free kevin!

...from his wretched earthly meat-shell :rip:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pancreatic, geez. that one's usually a death sentence. :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RIP Kevin

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

not that funy imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

git apologist posted:

not that funy imo

lol glad i wasn't the only one thinking this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the guy from the "Party Time" video died? :(

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this displeasures the kevin

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
RIP Kevin. I highly recommend reading his books if you haven't, they're amazing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1683625570637053954

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Don’t know if it is tech per se but in the 90s you could get a “trip tik” from CAA if you waited a week that was a flip book with turn by turn directions for where you were going. First co-op wound up being at the company that did all their software, feel like that could have been a huge thing if they took it further. also everything ran off pick/pickbasic (other great old tech poo poo was my main job that semester was building a javabean to interface with their systems to process credit cards, again super forward thinking but never taken further looooool)

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Also the guy that did most of the work behind them was super chill and had a model train themed ice cream place out of an old caboose as a side business. Jeff if you’re reading this you know who you are and I hope you’re doing well (please don’t doxx me)

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

triptiks were a thing my dad was big on - probably because it gave me and my brother something to do on the 1200 mile trips to my grandparents - in the early 90s. we got them from AAA, but same idea, it was a comb-bound vertical orientation, maybe 10 inches long by two and a half wide, strip of maps showing all the turns you’d need on the highways plus stops and points of interest. i loved those things as a kid, and fast forward to being about 30 and learning a triptych was an art thing from the two art history people i know as an adult.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nurrwick posted:

triptiks were a thing my dad was big on - probably because it gave me and my brother something to do on the 1200 mile trips to my grandparents - in the early 90s. we got them from AAA, but same idea, it was a comb-bound vertical orientation, maybe 10 inches long by two and a half wide, strip of maps showing all the turns you’d need on the highways plus stops and points of interest. i loved those things as a kid, and fast forward to being about 30 and learning a triptych was an art thing from the two art history people i know as an adult.

I learned what a triptych was when I was like six, from a Mickey Mouse story in Donald Duck's Pocketbook. I think you needed to combine the lost pieces to get a treasure map that lead to a jewel fountain. I believe not all triptychs have treasure maps.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
oh they all definitely have maps but sometimes the treasure is the friends you made along the way and also but stuff in hell

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
triptiks ruled and honestly i would still use them today if i could. Phones run out of juice and fall off network.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I print out Google maps instructions. Phones are nowhere near reliable enough, especially in Winter.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i use an app called “here” that lets u download maps locally, which solves a majority of the problems but overall id still rather have triptiks

i wonder if someone has an app that makes them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I used to use here when I had a nokia

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doesn't solve rhe "phone stops working/responding in the cold" thing tho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just memorize the route before leaving

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

google maps lets you download the maps to your local device in case you have no service, you nerds

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rotor posted:

triptiks ruled and honestly i would still use them today if i could. Phones run out of juice and fall off network.

I would have got totally lost in the dark in Italy (which was not big on lights anywhere it seems though now it's on fire maybe that's solved) if it wasn't for my wife having one of those big Microsoft Nokia phones because those let you preload maps and use GPS without incurring data charges so we could figure out where the gently caress we were

at one point we got diverted off the toll road through some tiny villages and just had to follow other cars and hope we got back on it. We did and then they charged us for the toll again, the fuckers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
not that all these other things aren’t worthwhile but don’t both apple and google maps let you cache whatever you want these days

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

turns out aaa/caa will still do printed triptiks, at least according to the mid-atlantic chapter's site

not that i'm a member or can look up how much it would cost to get them printed. they do prepare digital versions, too, though it looks like they're promoted as 'online' which probably doesn't do a whole lot to get them to you in the middle of nowhere outside cell network range

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mediaphage posted:

not that all these other things aren’t worthwhile but don’t both apple and google maps let you cache whatever you want these days

yeah. with google maps you can select an area you want to save, i'm not sure how apple maps does it but i know they added the feature

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beve Stuscemi posted:

google maps lets you download the maps to your local device in case you have no service, you nerds

ios 17 maos is adding it, too

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah. with google maps you can select an area you want to save, i'm not sure how apple maps does it but i know they added the feature

it'll work the same way, which is nice

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i remember how cool it was using openstreetmap on my n800 because it'd cache the route with a definable radius

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

trilljester posted:

Hot City was really awesome back in the day. I spent wayyyy too many hours on there.

holy poo poo what was your handle? I was Leperflesh, I assume you remember me because I was extremely important and popular

e. wait are you Jester?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i used to always have the atlas in the passenger seat and help navigate with my dad on trips because my mom didn't like reading maps.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Mr. Nice! posted:

i used to always have the atlas in the passenger seat and help navigate with my dad on trips because my mom didn't like reading maps.

yep same, my dad would have the route highlighted and i'd call out the exits and mile markers. i think it made traveling more interesting because you had to, like, look at the stuff around you instead of just waiting for the computer to say take the next exit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Elder Postsman posted:

yep same, my dad would have the route highlighted and i'd call out the exits and mile markers. i think it made traveling more interesting because you had to, like, look at the stuff around you instead of just waiting for the computer to say take the next exit.

i like driving without the gps as much as possible because then I don't get tunnel vision on just driving forward and following directions. i like to look around and learn so that i better remember on future trips.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
these were a thing in the 20s and 30s

get a little printed scroll to load into your Drivin' Watch and advance it as you hit each turn and highway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

man I loved maps up to the point of learning orienteering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and yeah i hate nav. i'd rather learn which roads in town are busy and when, and do a "ok, down sheridan, cut across on evans...santa fe is gonna be crazy rn so i'll take this side street" mental review of my drive.

I wish there was an apple navigation option to "Sorta get me aimed in the right direction and then shut up" option. Like i don't need you to nav me all the way back to my exact side street, just point me the correct way and get me on an artery and i'm good from there