Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CompeAnansi posted:

conversely, "ive only shipped bugs to prod" also probably means you dont test.

+1, Insightful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
now that i know where you work i find the deluge of nonfizzbuzzers you get completely unsurprising

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

now that i know where you work i find the deluge of nonfizzbuzzers you get completely unsurprising

and its worse because i'm in QA, so we're not exactly getting the best of the best on that front either

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

rotor posted:

it kind of is bullshit but also i sorta went to bat for the dude

do you think more time would have given you the insight to avoid the situation or endeared you more to them?

i'm genuinely curious.

i've never felt anything but extreme fatigue and a parched throat after a long session as a candidate. like even the act of making it two 45 minutes sessions would probably work better for me.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

do you think more time would have given you the insight to avoid the situation or endeared you more to them?

that situation was a little different because i knew him outside work and I was wagering he was gonna get his poo poo together (he did not get his poo poo together)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fizzbuzz for clowns:

start with a car and 25 developers, they all get in the car 1 by 1.

every time the number of developers in the car is divisible by 3 the computer will spray the user with fizzy seltzer water from a flower in its lapel.

every time the number is divisible by 5 it activates the users hand buzzer.

if it is divisible by both 3 and 5 then the user gets a custard pie in the face.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

that situation was a little different because i knew him outside work and I was wagering he was gonna get his poo poo together (he did not get his poo poo together)

that’s a huge bummer

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

fizzbuzz for clowns:

start with a car and 25 developers, they all get in the car 1 by 1.

every time the number of developers in the car is divisible by 3 the computer will spray the user with fizzy seltzer water from a flower in its lapel.

every time the number is divisible by 5 it activates the users hand buzzer.

if it is divisible by both 3 and 5 then the user gets a custard pie in the face.

HONK

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i can write a loving fizzbuzz and I’m a sysadmin

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

congratulations on your promos to devops engineers

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Captain Foo posted:

a sysadmin that codes is a bit susadmin

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
also got offered to live and work on farms in japan for a month so guess i’ll attempting to negotiate a very late start date if I get an offer

Mantle
May 15, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

also got offered to live and work on farms in japan for a month so guess i’ll attempting to negotiate a very late start date if I get an offer

Is this a thing where anyone can apply? I'm also attempting to negotiate a late start date or just quit my current job if I don't get an offer.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had a friend recommend me who did it with the same org but in Hawaii. if you’re super interested DM me and I’ll give you the info

this isn’t a vacation it is going to be hard work. I am hanging back for about a month after it wraps though

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 19, 2023

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Doom Mathematic posted:

So when they say "spend 2 to 3 hours on this take-home project" how many hours are most people actually spending on it?

I just double it. 2-3 means 5-6 imo.

I would much rather do a few live coding rounds as at least every candidate has the same time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cheese eats mouse posted:

I had a friend recommend me who did it with the same org but in Hawaii. if you’re super interested DM me and I’ll give you the info

this isn’t a vacation it is going to be hard work. I am hanging back for about a month after it wraps though

i picked up a hitchhikder in hawaii who ended up being a german cabbage farmer doing it through some similar thing. he said it was a lot of work but a nice place to live for a bit.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
apparently programmers are bad at estimating effort

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Sapozhnik posted:

apparently programmers are bad at estimating effort

the guy that came up with points already apologised like a million times

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
He should apologize at least 123,581,321 more times, imo

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

CPColin posted:

is that a fibonacci number?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Probably not, but kind of

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

i see it now drat

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

if null was the billion dollar mistake then story points are the billion stand up-hours mistake

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

he hasn't apologized to me personally so i don't accept it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Armitag3 posted:

i said that i can not that i do

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

points are the dumbest poo poo and they get in the way so much. I just tell my team that 1 point is one hour.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"ok, we could either just make sure everyone recognizes that programmers arent programming 8 hours a day OR!!! hear me out ... OR!! we could come up with this elaborate shitshow where we have programmer time estimates tied to multiples of a single base task that no one ever remembers! And we can use fibonacci numbers to distract the nerds from the fact that we're asking them to do all this extra work so management can simply continue to not understand things!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a point rating is supposed to represent the time and difficulty and complexity of a task but it is not in itself a measurement of the time or difficulty or complexity of a task, what is so hard to understand?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

FMguru posted:

a point rating is supposed to represent the time and difficulty and complexity of a task but it is not in itself a measurement of the time or difficulty or complexity of a task, what is so hard to understand?

i understand that perfectly, the PMs don’t

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we switched to t shirt sizing and it works fine but we don't have micromanagers analyzing the burndown chart every sprint, just "did [thing] make it into this release and if not why not?"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

we just kanban. it works great.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

we also use kanban and it works pretty well

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i fled to infrastructure where i have no pm, don’t estimate poo poo, and nobody understand what i do enough to give me grief about it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well-read undead posted:

i fled to infrastructure where i have no pm, don’t estimate poo poo, and nobody understand what i do enough to give me grief about it

infra is no escape from the inexorable pull of scrums

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

infra is no escape from the inexorable pull of scrums

it is where i am, but that's only because of my seniority. don't worry, there are plenty of other horrible things that ruin my days

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my yospos hottest take is that agile can be done well and is good, actually (if u do it well)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

my yospos hottest take is that agile can be done well and is good, actually (if u do it well)

mhmm and how many times have you seen that happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Armitag3 posted:

CPColin posted: