Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
what is it called where there's a kanban board, but we have sprints too, but sometimes the board doesn't carry over so you spend all standup trying to figure out where the tickets went and just ignore the backlog entirely?

MononcQc posted:

ghost riding the WIP

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

There's a little bit more to it than this. There are a number of stages that a task can be in, and limits on how many tasks can be in each stage at a time. So as you move tickets out of one stage and into the next, you pull something into that stage to replace it. Naturally, those limits are ignored by a lot of organizations that say they're doing Kanban.

Kanban is a good fit for teams that have shifting priorities. That makes it a good fit for SRE and similar orgs, but also R&D as well because the next task may be highly contingent on the outcome of the current one.

does anyone have any resources about this it sounds interesting

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Its a Rolex posted:

what is it called where there's a kanban board, but we have sprints too, but sometimes the board doesn't carry over so you spend all standup trying to figure out where the tickets went and just ignore the backlog entirely?

I call this “we are doing the things that need to be done”.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ultrafilter posted:

Naturally, those limits are ignored by a lot of organizations that say they're doing Kanban.

if we’re being honest, some orgs will even ignore the prioritized backlog. really, there is no good process without a competent and disciplined org, it’s not particularly a kanban or scrum problem

but i’ll still take broken kanban over broken scrum — at least there are fewer meetings

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

we do a hybrid waterfall/kanban/scrum right now

it works somewhat, mostly because nobody really cares, it's all just watefall.

waterfall+ if you will

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

post hole digger posted:

does anyone have any resources about this it sounds interesting

I like Learning Agile as a general intro to the standard methodologies and the reasoning behind them.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the bit you really gotta lean on is look at how you work, ask “is this serving us well? how could we improve?” and experiment with ways to make things better. Any flat-out borrowed method with no thought applied to its tailoring to local circumstances, or where the objective is compliance instead of a deliberate trade-off of development aspects is bound to loving suck.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if you never need to provide reasonably accurate estimates for delivery of large features, kanban is great

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my estimates are gonna be poo poo regardless of methodology but also all the times I was the most pessimistic and accurate project managers hated it and kept asking to make it faster and sorry bud, but this involves the customers having to manually configure DNS poo poo and we won’t be done deprecating the old stack for at least 2 years

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

don’t go chasing waterfalls

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

stick to the kanbans and the scrums that you're used to

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah but i don’t want no scrums

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

yeah but i don’t want no scrums

to the tune of “no scrubs”

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oooooh I get it now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

that’s the joke, yes

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

a scrum is a sigh when they want some code from me
hangin out the p managers side
when it’s planning time
trying to fibonacci

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

that’s the joke, yes

drat

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Armitag3 posted:

the guy that came up with points already apologised like a million times

publicly? Link me please and thank you

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
3rd round next week with a founder, PM and an EM :toot:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cheese eats mouse posted:

3rd round next week with a founder, PM and an EM :toot:

good luck goon

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

my estimates are gonna be poo poo regardless of methodology but also all the times I was the most pessimistic and accurate project managers hated it and kept asking to make it faster and sorry bud, but this involves the customers having to manually configure DNS poo poo and we won’t be done deprecating the old stack for at least 2 years

“i can say whatever number you want me to say, but it will take 4 days. Here, Ill help you out - it’ll be done by the time this meeting is over. Does that help you? How about now? My new estimate is that its already done. Better?”

Thats what i said to my PM that was dumb enough to sweat me for time, and he never really did it again.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

champagne posting posted:

publicly? Link me please and thank you

i think its this https://ronjeffries.com/articles/019-01ff/story-points/Index.html

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

Well, if I did invent story points, I’m probably a little sorry now, but not very sorry.

lol, he has no remorse, the fucker. just an entire meandering article about how they're cool and good actually, just everyone besides him is using them wrong, you see.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im sorry youre all too stupid to understand my brilliant story point system

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

“i can say whatever number you want me to say, but it will take 4 days. Here, Ill help you out - it’ll be done by the time this meeting is over. Does that help you? How about now? My new estimate is that its already done. Better?”

Thats what i said to my PM that was dumb enough to sweat me for time, and he never really did it again.

baller

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you gotta push back hard on that poo poo or you will be living with it forever

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

you gotta push back hard on that poo poo or you will be living with it forever

a good practice we came up with at a prior job was to have an out by saying “we don’t know about that, we need a research/scoping task” and putting in N hours of work where the goal is to time box some exploration, just to come back with a better way to estimate.

it’s nice because it gives devs a way to call out uncertainty but also to map it out as well. if half your tasks are “who the hell knows, we gotta explore” you get a nice implicit form of backpressure where it may look like your whole project is in need of better prototyping and re-scoping.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

a good practice we came up with at a prior job was to have an out by saying “we don’t know about that, we need a research/scoping task” and putting in N hours of work where the goal is to time box some exploration, just to come back with a better way to estimate.

it’s nice because it gives devs a way to call out uncertainty but also to map it out as well. if half your tasks are “who the hell knows, we gotta explore” you get a nice implicit form of backpressure where it may look like your whole project is in need of better prototyping and re-scoping.

yeah you gotta put spike tasks up but if you have a PM who is sweating you for lower estimates you gotta nip that poo poo in the bud

my guy, my estimate is 4 days but if you need me to say a number to make your spreadsheet look better I can say whatever number you want. But it will still take around 4 days.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i had a scrum master (problematic imo) who would write the title of a story and then immediately ask how many points it was because it was the next field in the jira form

whatever training they had made them laser focus on the nonsense stats (burn down, velocity, etc) and they’d bring it up all the time; i threatened to ruin their stats by setting 99999999999 points to a story if they didn’t shut up about THE TEAMS AVERAGE VELOCITY or whatever

same person would also lean into turning sprint retros into struggle sessions by asking who wrote the mildly negative feedback and whatnot

e: rotor’s being obnoxious but they’re not wrong ime

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Phone posted:

e: rotor’s being obnoxious

:-(

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i try to only work at startuppy places that are constantly doing new things and trying new angles and as a result time estimates and story points are always made up, and if anyone tries to ask me about them or god forbid have a meeting thats only about "points" i get irate af

for a place where you're constantly doing the same things over and over again like a website factory or enterprise it makes perfect sense but the only way to tell how long something takes is to do it; if you've never done it there's no sense it talking about it as if you have

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we don’t use story points, we just have a monthly release and we tell the scrum lords if we can do something by this UAT or the next UAT

simple as

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

AnoHito posted:

lol, he has no remorse, the fucker. just an entire meandering article about how they're cool and good actually, just everyone besides him is using them wrong, you see.

Eh, my takeaway from that article is that he doesn't think story points should be used beyond breaking down work into small enough chunks to be worked on, but never for estimation

His ideal system seems like having points but only devs can see them and know what they are

ron posted:

It’s far better to pick a close-in date for the next release to customers, and pick as much good stuff into that release as possible. Estimating, be it in story points or gummi bears or even time, gets in the way of this. Where possible, in my opinion, it’s best avoided.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Corla Plankun posted:

i try to only work at startuppy places that are constantly doing new things and trying new angles and as a result time estimates and story points are always made up, and if anyone tries to ask me about them or god forbid have a meeting thats only about "points" i get irate af

for a place where you're constantly doing the same things over and over again like a website factory or enterprise it makes perfect sense but the only way to tell how long something takes is to do it; if you've never done it there's no sense it talking about it as if you have

my last job was derisking new tech and boy oh boy was it fun to have the exact same, ‘i can’t estimate something that we’ve never done before’ every three months

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

put some backend devs, web devs, and ios/android devs on the same team, and then tell them to establish the meaning of a story point, as a joke

(i have seen this joke happen in real life)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
story points should be stored in a SAFe

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

koolkal posted:

Eh, my takeaway from that article is that he doesn't think story points should be used beyond breaking down work into small enough chunks to be worked on, but never for estimation

His ideal system seems like having points but only devs can see them and know what they are

but that's it isn't it? The moment something can be measured it'll get shoved into a kpi and from thereon out that's it we're all hosed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

i try to only work at startuppy places

if i wanted to be overworked, underpaid, and getting regularly screamed at by coked-up rich assholes i'd go work for a local restauranteur

(j/k i'm just giving you a hard time. i know that a lot of startups can be cool but it's not for me)

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Sapozhnik posted:

if i wanted to be overworked, underpaid, and getting regularly screamed at by coked-up rich assholes i'd go work for a local restauranteur

(j/k i'm just giving you a hard time. i know that a lot of startups can be cool but it's not for me)

my one weird trick is to work at places that developers think are boring - banks, insurance companies, manufacturing. they pay well, don’t understaff and i never think about work outside of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
never heard of manufacturing or insurance paying well for touchers

and all three are nexuses of insane bullshit, touching-wise

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 23, 2023