Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is zFrontier a legit seller? They seem to have stuff in stock that other places don’t, but can’t find anything about them online.

yes and no.
They are a vendor, and they're not going under like Mechs and Co, but they are loving dogshit at communication and working with designers.
There's a drat good reason that Keyreative cut ties with them. Most of KAT/KAM woes can be directly blamed on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Usually not a fan of the RGB on keebs, but I like the way the all-blue led setting looks on this recent build

Looks pretty inoffensive in person.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A while back I asked about good keycaps that aren’t the $150 standard from GMK/Signature Plastics and someone recommended Novelkeys and Cannonkeys. I’ve been using a pbt Olivia set from Novelkeys and it’s terrific. The keys feel great and are 95% of what I’m looking for with an olivia set. I’ll try one from Cannonkeys next.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think I found a combination I like.
GMMK full size with Kailh copper switches, and a very neutral SA profile keycap set from Domikey.

I think my only complaints about the Domikey White Dolch set is the keycap legends, I would have preferred symbols on the arrow keys, and maybe some more variations of the additional "system keys" on the spacebar row (Win, Menu, Fn). But there's so few places selling SA profile sets that cover full size ISO layouts I'll make do.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 15, 2023

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

teraflame posted:

Leopold FC980C
Would the FC900RBT be comparable in terms of build quality? I don't need Topre switches, I'd be fine with more Cherry MX Browns or even Reds. I'd get the FC900R but they're all out of stock in 100%.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

looks like Corsair bought Drop.com

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/17/23797338/corsair-drop-acquisition-mechanical-keyboards

Hopefully they keep the headphone part around, the HD6xx and other collabs were an easy recommend

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
What, if anything, is the point of "premium gaming keyboard cables" like this? Is it just a fancy status/style thing? Seems like the "aviator connector" halfway along the cable is just another potential point of failure in what could just be an extremely cheap and basic USB cable.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah I've never understood the aviator cable fad. Braided or looped cable, sure.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Doom Mathematic posted:

What, if anything, is the point of "premium gaming keyboard cables" like this? Is it just a fancy status/style thing? Seems like the "aviator connector" halfway along the cable is just another potential point of failure in what could just be an extremely cheap and basic USB cable.

I have this and it just looks cool, is all.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I guess in theory if one end of the cable ended up mangled, you could just replace that half of it, or switch between USB Micro/USB C or something

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I thought about doing those but ended up just doing the magnetic plate cables so any jerks, tugs, or tears from baby, dog, or kiddo would simply result in a broken connection rather than a broken port

Works fine enough

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I looked into getting one when I had a keyboard with USB mini-B and other boards with USB-C so I thought I could get a single cable and swap the ends when necessary but balked when I saw the price (years ago).

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I've dipped my toes into soldering and customization.

The usb port on the pro micro controllers used in a lot of keyboards, my Iris 2 included, is notorious for breaking. One fell off a couple of years ago, but I could just reprogram the keyboard to use the other half as the main and keep trucking. Earlier this year, the second usb port broke off, rendering it inoperable. While looking at replacement microcontrollers, I was tipped about the nice!nano, a same-pinout dropin replacement with bluetooth support and pins for a battery.

So I bought two, soldered off the old controllers and put in the new ones.

It was pretty scary, and properly unsoldering the controller was tedious, but I got it off and put in the new ones. Lifehack: If you're ever doing this yourself, socket the controller so you can just pull it off instead of unsoldering.
I also got some nice 3dprinted middle layers and replaced the old 3dprinted spacers with brass ones, so now it's better looking and less rattly!

End result:

This experience has been a dangerous gateway into harder DIYing, as I am now less terrified of buying a kit and putting together a keyboard myself. 5/5 would recommend.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 21, 2023

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Nice build, but also just so you know, your full name and the company you work for are visible in that picture.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Badly Jester posted:

Nice build, but also just so you know, your full name and the company you work for are visible in that picture.

Oh wops. Thinking is hard. Cropped, thanks :derp:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I'd make a region-based joke about it, but I've decided your secret is safe with me :v:

Did you have prior experience with soldering at all? Just how difficult is putting in Mills sockets yourself? I'm super happy with my Mode Envoy, but I've been eyeing ergos, and the lack of hotswapping (depending on the PCB) is one of the things keeping me away.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Badly Jester posted:

I'd make a region-based joke about it, but I've decided your secret is safe with me :v:

Did you have prior experience with soldering at all? Just how difficult is putting in Mills sockets yourself? I'm super happy with my Mode Envoy, but I've been eyeing ergos, and the lack of hotswapping (depending on the PCB) is one of the things keeping me away.

I didn't swap to sockets this time, to unsolder the pin strip on the board would've required me to unsolder a couple of switches, so it's a lesson i've learned but not heeded.

I did a couple of electronics courses with some soldering in them 15 years ago or so, but i've barely touched it since then. Very shaky hand, not very pretty soldering points, but it works and is now hidden!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bought my first mechanical keyboard and put Kailh box whites in it. Brought it to work and everyone in my room is wfh today so I can't annoy them with my super loud keyboard. We do have a door joining our room with the COO's office. He shut it during a morning Teams meeting and hasn't opened it since.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Is there any strong reason why I shouldn't buy a Ducky One 3 Daybreak (TKL, Cherry MX Brown)? I like the color scheme, but I'm a little concerned about media shortcut keys. They're visible in this photo but not in this one.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

That pic of the hot-swap socket is kinda confusing because it’s actually for one of their smaller board, you can tell because of the Fn key markings on the side of the number keys.

I believe the the MK Typist I owned years ago was a rebranded Ducky and it was pretty solid. There should be a number of media key shortcuts on a function layer, but you’d have to look them up in the manual. With hot-swap sockets you can replace key switches easily and use the board “forever”.

I think my only gripe with these pre-builts is that they are largely not reprogrammable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Doom Mathematic posted:

Is there any strong reason why I shouldn't buy a Ducky One 3 Daybreak (TKL, Cherry MX Brown)? I like the color scheme, but I'm a little concerned about media shortcut keys. They're visible in this photo but not in this one.

The photos are of two different board layouts. The first one looks like it's a SF model. You can see on this amazon listing that in the photos there's side printing on the keys and media controls are on a function layer in the wasd area. I assume it's SF because F3 is side printed on number 3, so it doesn't have FKeys at all besides as a function layer:
https://www.amazon.com/Ducky-Daybreak-Keyboard-Cherry-Blue/dp/B09RM1T3VN

The second photo is the full size keyboard and it has independent media keys on the top right above the num pad.

You're right, though, I don't see media controls on any of the TKL version product pictures, but the pictures are all the same:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=8806
https://www.amazon.com/Ducky-One-3-TKL-Daybreak/dp/B09RYST2C6/

I'd assume that the media controls will be on a function layer somewhere but it looks like the TKL doesn't come with keys printed for it. I did look at a couple of video reviews and the board looks like the pictures.

That said, here's the manual and it shows using macros including media control, but it's possible you'd have to set it up for yourself on the keys you want:
https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/public/upload/2021_12_132/20211213175619msi493PrR1.pdf
English macro setting instructions are on pg 30. Looks like you'd hit fn + alt + tab for 3 seconds to enter recording. Then hit the key you want the macro on. Then hit the key combination on pg 33 that corresponds to the function you want (like mute is Fn + Win + A) then you can choose if you want a playback speed or set it to run once, run until released, or loop until pressed again (options on pg 31). For media keys I assume it'd be fine with the run once when pressed. I wrote all that and saw they had an example for making F5 your mute key on Pg. 37.

So you may have to set them up yourself if it doesn't include a function layer for it. The macro system seems like it will do it but it's kind of a weird process to do it all on the keyboard. On the plus side, no software that won't get maintained, on the negative side it's harder to configure without the software. Better save a copy of the manual pdf in case you want to change the layout in 20 years!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Had to order a replacement g512 spacebar keycap from aliexpress because logitech doesn’t offer any lol ok

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone else carry a keyboard with them in their bag? If so, do you use a case for it?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

DeusIgnis posted:

Anyone else carry a keyboard with them in their bag? If so, do you use a case for it?

I bought a Modern Coup keyboard sleeve years ago. It's held up great

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DeusIgnis posted:

yeah I do, in my 5.11 bag. I don’t use a sleeve but don’t carry many things in there. I might get a sleeve because I wanna be a fancy lad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
'Sup goons, back because I'm still working on my homemade arcade controller and the problems keep bleeding back over into keyboard land.

* Anyone know where to get ~2U space bars that won't require me to buy an entire set from 2U to 7U?
* If you have a pair of calipers, and non-low-profile switches, with the feet folded closed, can you measure from the top of your desk to the tops of row 4? (shift row)

mewse posted:

That's super cool, where did you have the metal plates cut?

Did them myself.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Other than Keychron, I feel like the mechanical keyboard world isn’t very friendly to Apple users. Anyone know of any other brands that support the bitten fruit?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DeusIgnis posted:

Other than Keychron, I feel like the mechanical keyboard world isn’t very friendly to Apple users. Anyone know of any other brands that support the bitten fruit?

Mode keyboards work fine. And you know, actually have good build quality and sound good.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

DeusIgnis posted:

For off-the-shelf keyboards? Not really sure. For custom mechanicals? Pretty much all of them. Any board that has QMK firmware support will have Apple support.

Any board from any of the following will work:

MODE
Cannonkeys
Novelkeys
KBDFans

There's also this list of (possibly) in-stock boards as well: https://thocstock.com/keyboards

Gearman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 24, 2023

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, I feel like anything with QMK support will be fine, and most cap sets are generally either agnostic towards the OS or will offer special variants in a novelty pack.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’ve used nuphy for my work macbook with no issues

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

LionArcher posted:

Mode keyboards work fine. And you know, actually have good build quality and sound good.

My keychron Q2 is pretty good tbh. It's not a $600 Mode Sonnet but I'm pretty happy with it for the price.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
google is failing me, are there any light, plastic cases that would fit the kbd75 pcb? I don't mind doing some modding of an existing case or paying more than the aluminum case costs.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

DeusIgnis posted:

I use the case that came with my moonlander and it works well, even with the tenting stand attached.

Speaking of the moonlander, does anyone know where I can get a coiled TRRS cable in Europe?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DeusIgnis posted:

Any keyboard that supports remapping keys will work perfectly fine. I use a moonlander between mac/windows, my wife uses a kbd67 on a Mac.

I don't have stats or anything, but I suspect most mechanical keyboards that are above the very low end or are explicitly ~gamer~ boards will have at least rudimentary remapping support.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

for fucks sake posted:

I use the case that came with my moonlander and it works well, even with the tenting stand attached.

Speaking of the moonlander, does anyone know where I can get a coiled TRRS cable in Europe?

if you want a fancy one, some of the USB cable makers will do them

e.g. https://unicorncables.com/store/split-keyboard-cable/

splitkb sells a basic cheap coiled cable but it's TRS, not TRRS, unfortunately

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 24, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

quote is not edit

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

repiv posted:

if you want a fancy one, some of the USB cable makers will do them

e.g. https://unicorncables.com/store/split-keyboard-cable/

splitkb sells a basic cheap coiled cable but it's TRS, not TRRS, unfortunately

Looks good, cheers. Winced a bit at the price, but I've already spent so much money on this keyboard, what's another thirty euros?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

...60 euros if you want a coil :whitewater:

other stores may be cheaper, i didn't look exhaustively

kriscables also does coiled TRRS but they are no cheaper

https://kriscables.com/product/custom-trrs-cable/

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

repiv posted: