Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's not a perfect movie but it is a perfect send off to one of the best animated series ever created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Tons of random thoughts but i'll ask you guys: is it possible they were trying to soften the image of Jonas a little bit? like, he's still a prick, but Ben kind of frames Malcolm was a result of Jonas wanting to genuinely help Morpho and his wife have a kid and maybe didn't have sex with her after all? I could see it still being him just abandoning another clone/doing things to satiate Morpho to keep him under control. And I guess the watch too? Like he wasn't a good father, but at least maybe had the right idea about family? I could see all of the spoiled stuff could also not be even remotely enough to change what we already know and might already think though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that first thing all depends on whether or not The morpho and his wife knew that they were receiving a baby that wasn't theirs. This is assuming he implanted the embryo in Mrs Morpho and not that he just grew a clone kid and gave one to them. We still don't know who Rusty's mom is. So it's possible that he took BM's wife's eggs, fertilized them with his own science, and then implanted one in her and then kept one for himself. Though I'm not sure how the cloning worked with Rusty. We know now that, with the boys, they were grown in Rusty's fake womb device and then were cloned and the clones were kept in vats until they were needed. Was that how Jonas did it? Or did he just grow an entirely new rusty from a baby when the original died? So maybe there was an original Rusty who died, and then Jonas cloned him and then happened to create Malcolm at the same time. I guess that could be explored or just completely ignored in any future things they make

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cojawfee posted:

I think that first thing all depends on whether or not The morpho and his wife knew that they were receiving a baby that wasn't theirs. This is assuming he implanted the embryo in Mrs Morpho and not that he just grew a clone kid and gave one to them. We still don't know who Rusty's mom is. So it's possible that he took BM's wife's eggs, fertilized them with his own science, and then implanted one in her and then kept one for himself. Though I'm not sure how the cloning worked with Rusty. We know now that, with the boys, they were grown in Rusty's fake womb device and then were cloned and the clones were kept in vats until they were needed. Was that how Jonas did it? Or did he just grow an entirely new rusty from a baby when the original died? So maybe there was an original Rusty who died, and then Jonas cloned him and then happened to create Malcolm at the same time. I guess that could be explored or just completely ignored in any future things they make

no he made R22 then when it wasn't working out just gave him to Blue Morpho. he wasn't made for him specifically. he was pawned off. he is a rusty clone, the boys are rusty clones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yay, they stuck the landing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pixaal posted:

no he made R22 then when it wasn't working out just gave him to Blue Morpho. he wasn't made for him specifically. he was pawned off. he is a rusty clone, the boys are rusty clones.

I'm not sure where you got that from but I didn't hear anywhere that the boys are rusty clones. Rusty got eggs from Debbie St. Simone and created two babies with them was how I interpreted it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not sure where you got that from but I didn't hear anywhere that the boys are rusty clones. Rusty got eggs from Debbie St. Simone and created two babies with them was how I interpreted it.

This was my interpretation as well. I also feel like they tried for one reason or another to soften Jonas a bit especially through the use of Simmons talking to Hank at the end there.

Between this and What We Do in The Shadows episode from yesterday I don't think I've laughed that hard in a while.

It was a great send off and appropriate that it felt like their other season finales that also double as possible series finales. Love this show warts and all.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

There was one plot point introduced in the movie itself that I wish had been addressed: the whole VenTech being bankrupt thing. Just a single line or two of Rusty acknowledging that he invented a consumer-scale anti-gravity device that took less than $1k to produce. gently caress HelperPods, he's going to take his anti-gravity money and retire to Spanikos on a pile of money now. Though I guess it's similar to the teleporter thing - if it were that world-changing, it's not like the OSI would just let him have it.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Amazing episode. It tied up enough for it to be satisfying but it might take me a decade to accept there won't be more :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My gf just watched the movie with me and one big thing she said as we watched: "OMG She's Carol]" they first showed Bobbi at her zoo. So in my headcanon, Hank and Dean's grandmother is this universe's Carol Baskin.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite part of the rescue zoo was the penguins from Batman Returns still rocking their missile backpacks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are so many little details it will take numerous rewatches to catch them all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well I was really not expecting a Dr. Goldfoot parody to be a significant part of the Venture Bros. mythology, but in retrospect it makes complete and utter sense.

I really enjoyed it! Great ending to the series if it is, and feels very fitting and satisfying as a finale. Was a ton of fun and full of excellent hilarious moments that stand up there with the best of the show.

That being said, it does feel a bit like a Cliffs Notes version of the season we should have gotten, and I yearn for more time spent with the elements I loved most. The fact that I didn't get an entire episode about the Blood Brothers—not to mention that Brundleroach didn't get his own mini arc—is a crime.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

AlternateNu posted:

Things missing from the movie that make me sad, even if their inclusion would add nothing to it:
1. Scare Bear
2. Actual Serena or Wide Whale
3. Night Dick or Warriana
4. Captain Sunshine (:rip:) though, we DID get a young Boggles, the Clue Clown :v:
5. Phineas Phage

Also, I think Snoopy got more lines than Watch and Ward.

1 was in it for a second

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I was so happy for all the attention BRRRRICKFROG!!!!!!!! got in the beginning. guy really did love saying his name with like 10 exclamation points after it

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

That was amazing. Can't wait for the next season.

Best I can do is a third Futurama revival.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Well I was really not expecting a Dr. Goldfoot parody

Thank you! I'd been driving myself crazy trying to remember what it was called.

Specifically, the Bikini Machine is the one I've seen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this looks cool. Vincent Price!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's also a TV special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dp7Ps6tX8

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That was drat good and a great send off the for the series.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
echoing everyones sentiments. What a send off. Thanks Venture Brothers for giving us the biggest love letter to us fans

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
What a great sendoff, and also a seemingly 100 percent accurate depiction of the Christopher Street PATH station.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I like that the Monarch's whole thing throughout the series was never really feeling like a credible villain to himself, so of course his end is finding out that he's a genetically enhanced evil clone which is the absolute top when it comes to super villain origin stories. It's like he's given a gift.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Its even more sweet how Shelia backs him up. I do like that is consistent theme. They are clones but they are themselves. Im glad Ben came back.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im writing the president asking for another season of venture bros, wish me luck

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
President’s not the real president, you know that!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Don't tell Secret President!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
But only Secret President can save us from cancellation!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The only thing they never touched on was Billy and Doc using Grover's Presidential Time Machine, but I'm okay with it, 'cause that scene means that at some point in the nebulous future, Rusty and Malcolm become friends.

Which is pretty genius, if you ask me. As much as I wanted to see that happen and was expecting it, this way not only do both things get to happen, but the more thematically appropriate gets to be how the show ends, even when we know it's not how the story does.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm sure we'll get a comic or something at some point. And in 10 years you'll be able to animate it with AI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

About as perfect an ending as I could have ever dreamed of, what a wonderful finish to the series.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This was good. I really need to re-watch the whole series again.

Warbird posted:

21 is wearing a suspiciously detailed black shirt in the closing scene.

Movie good. Season 9 when? I’m considering this to be number 8.

21's shirt is from a previous season's t-shirt club:

There also were at least two others featured.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Watched it last night and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. There was just so much, and yeah some of it felt pretty rushed, but I was just so enthralled by all of it. I was really emotional by the end, and for hours afterwards - everything came together so drat well at the end, and I need to watch it five or six more times to catch all the little bits I missed because I was too busy shrieking with delight at, say, Orpheus as Zed, or Invisible Bikini. drat fine finale. Go Team Venture.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I’ll take my mad scientists subletting a decrepit warehouse sitcom now, thank you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We're all obsessive loners who need the space and privacy of an abandoned factory

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh on that movie lot, were they implying that Stanley Kubrick faked the moon landing, and Jonas helped?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea, which is funny because jonas could easily do it for real. hell according to one episode, rusty's grandpa landed on the moon in 1902

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Do we know the name of the not-Punisher, who I presume is wearing his dead wife's entire skeleton on his chest?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Vakal posted:

I like that the Monarch's whole thing throughout the series was never really feeling like a credible villain to himself, so of course his end is finding out that he's a genetically enhanced evil clone which is the absolute top when it comes to super villain origin stories. It's like he's given a gift.

The Monarch in the end is absolutly everything he ever wanted

- He can not be stopped from arching Venture anymore by the Guild
- He is married to the finest female super villain who just also happens to run the Guild
- He also is a level 10 in the Guild so he is A Big Deal
- His best friend is a living legend of a henchman who can go one on one with Brock Sampson himself
- He will always be better than Rusty because he was cloned that way
- He is the son (even if it's a clone) of Jonas Venture and that means something in this world

The movie was about all the characters coming back to a place where they are happy as a family and The Monarch's story most of all has ended with him as a true successful super villian that can do whatever he wants

I had hoped for all of the Ventures to end as successes (maybe Rusty did as well? All he wants is to do is super science in peace and he's back where he was happiest too), The Monarch absolutly did

Mantis42 posted:

yea, which is funny because jonas could easily do it for real. hell according to one episode, rusty's grandpa landed on the moon in 1902

Rusty actually did go to the moon as well before1969 as a boy adventurer, faking the moon landing is hilarious when they clearly can day trip there

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
One part that made me emotional in a way I didn’t expect was the moment they noticed something falling from the sky over the Venture compound — and I realized that they were literally bringing it home in the end.

Also ”Ma Venture didn’t raise no fools.”