Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Alchenar posted:

CS reduces the tactical experience to a series of small arenas, and the practical effect of balancing the game around limited per mission special abilities is extremely close to being card based for all intents and purposes, it's just lacking the randomness of the card draw.

I think you have card brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If only Jagged Alliance 3 still had the aliens in the mines so it would count as an XCOM because it's really good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Alchenar posted:

CS reduces the tactical experience to a series of small arenas, and the practical effect of balancing the game around limited per mission special abilities is extremely close to being card based for all intents and purposes, it's just lacking the randomness of the card draw.

So, not at all then.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

evilmiera posted:

If only Jagged Alliance 3 still had the aliens in the mines so it would count as an XCOM because it's really good.

JA3 not arbitrarily limiting you to 6 mercs is good- if you get the teams to come in at the same time you can have as many as you want. Get with it, x-com. The freeform use of AP for shooting also is nice, though it does lead to Agility being one of the most important stats in the game.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Coolguye posted:

anyways, firaxis as a whole is kinda low ebb right now. civ is 7 years without a major entry and 6 is generally considered a step down from 5. beyond earth did quite poorly. midnight suns also didn't do great. it wasn't just jake that departed, a lot of senior staff left. it'll probably be quite some time yet before we see anything major on any front since at this point the only major leadership position that hasn't turned over is sid himself afaik.

Also, Midnight suns was objectively a disaster for the studio, given how much money that marvel white elephant ate to little gain,

We know XCOM 3 is likely in the pipe mind, from the nVidia leaks that have been quite reliable to date.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, Midnight suns was objectively a disaster for the studio, given how much money that marvel white elephant ate to little gain,

We know XCOM 3 is likely in the pipe mind, from the nVidia leaks that have been quite reliable to date.

yeah it's a shame that midnight suns beat up the studio so bad because it's not a bad game per se, but it's also not a 250 hour obsession fest the way the last few XCOMs were. marvel fatigue is SUPER real though. i think a lot of people just didn't want to give it the time of day because they'd had plenty of marvel already. and that's reasonable.

Alchenar posted:

lol bruh

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I kinda thought that the randomness of card draw was the defining feature of card games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

I kinda thought that the randomness of card draw was the defining feature of card games.

Not precisely. It depends on the game.

A lot of the fun of card builders isn't in the randomness but in how the pressure of 'random' card draws makes you build your deck. The best X-COM example is that a badly built deck is like taking a potshot and a well built one is like properly flanking and stacking in your favor to the point randomization is minimized. The random draw serves the same purpose as RNG in X-Com in that it is there to give you something to try to work your builds around and also occasionally throws a wrench into plans to keep things interesting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah deckbuilding is about minimizing both the randomness involved and the less powerful cards you can potentially pull. like if you have a few cards that do 5 damage to 1 target and 3 damage to targets in a cone, but the way you are using the character is they basically only ever have one target, then the conals are pointless and you should trash them so you are more consistent.

the thing is, chimera squad doesn't give you any kind of "deckbuilding" mechanics at all short of the random squad recruits you can bring in throughout the game. you are always going to draw your "cards" again in a distinct number of turns because they don't go into a deck, nothing is ever shuffled, you don't even get your "card drafts" randomly, it is always the same choice and you make that choice permanently.

so "chimera squad is actually a precursor card game" is extremely dumb. you might as well ask what isn't a card game at that point.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 24, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Coolguye posted:

yeah it's a shame that midnight suns beat up the studio so bad because it's not a bad game per se, but it's also not a 250 hour obsession fest the way the last few XCOMs were. marvel fatigue is SUPER real though. i think a lot of people just didn't want to give it the time of day because they'd had plenty of marvel already. and that's reasonable.

The latter was worsened by the mess of a dev cycle.

No matter what Jake says, it smells like someone up top was in a mood to roll heads at firaxis, between that fiasco and Firaxis getting looped in GSG. Suffice to say, I feel XCOM 3 and the next civ may be the outfit's make or break and as before, if Nauta leaves... that's that for them, as that would be the last of the major XCOM heads and it would be a sign the studio's done and folks are looking for the exits.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

firaxis has gone into hibernation before. it was 6 years between alpha centauri and civ 4 with nothing to note but the Pirates remake in the middle, which frankly was a step down from the 1993 version in a lot of ways if you can ignore how much harder the 1993 version is to learn. then it was another 5 years between civ 4 and civ 5 with nothing but weird me-too games like colonization and railroads in between.

midnight suns is the most recent release and that was 3 years ago. if the cycle holds you'll see another couple smaller games in the vein of CS or just some random bullshit, and everyone will be pleasantly surprised when another flagship product comes out and probably resurrects the studio again.

I think a lot of the issue with much of firaxis's catalog has a lot of potential fatigue with it too. XCOM is great, but it's not a game that lends itself to frequent releases. We're ready for XCOM 3 now, but I don't know that we would've been even a few years ago. Civ is also notoriously hard to get right, and when you do get it right people spend 5 years at least running it out.

Strictly speaking this is the time to just embrace the indie studio nature and go do some weird, offbeat stuff to try to develop new IP, but firaxis has generally not been that kind of studio.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 24, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I kinda get what you're saying but that's only because I also play too many card-based tactical/run-based games and I don't think it's very helpful as an analogy to people outside of that specific crowd.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Midnight Suns came out Dec 2022, it absolutely didn't come out 3 years ago?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Zore posted:

Midnight Suns came out Dec 2022, it absolutely didn't come out 3 years ago?
Probably thinking of Chimera Squad, which was released in 2020.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yep sorry i mixed up CS and MS

i should probably double check wikipedia instead of working from memory

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Coolguye posted:

firaxis has gone into hibernation before. it was 6 years between alpha centauri and civ 4 with nothing to note but the Pirates remake in the middle

Um, not counting Civ 3 and SimGolf?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i definitely was explicitly not counting simgolf, that absolutely hits the whole "minor, random thing that nobody cares that much about" thing that firaxis is prone to.

but i flatly forgot about civ 3 (like many others did)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

releasing three civs in the mall labelled 1, 2, and 4

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

those're the only ones that matter anyways :cool:

e: in seriousness, in my mind civ 3 came out prior to SMAC/was done by microprose, not firaxis.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Nue XCOM 2 w/ Wrath was really the best. The pinnacle of the genre, unmatched even today. It's a shame that Garth is now working for the worst company in the world and that Jake will likely be AWOL for years

Midnight Suns was fine (good), but imagine if they had been untethered from the vanity and culture of comic books. Imagine XCOM 3

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 24, 2023

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Coolguye posted:

those're the only ones that matter anyways :cool:

e: in seriousness, in my mind civ 3 came out prior to SMAC/was done by microprose, not firaxis.
I really enjoyed Civ 3 at the time, but Civ 4 and beyond are just so much better (and possibly also Civ 2, but I never actually played that one).

Anyway, maybe your getting confused about its release was because Civilization: Call to Power (remember that one?) came out around the same time as SMAC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Runa posted:

releasing three civs in the mall labelled 1, 2, and 4

When I played XCOM:EU's multiplayer back when that was briefly alive I used to have a team of Thin Men I named "An XCOM rookie", "Actually a Thin Man", "Bob from Accounting", and "A Sectoid", and an XCOM Sniper named "A Thin Man".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

Anyway, maybe your getting confused about its release was because Civilization: Call to Power (remember that one?) came out around the same time as SMAC.
i remember the box art and that's pretty much it

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

Nue XCOM 2 w/ Wrath was really the best. The pinnacle of the genre, unmatched even today. It's a shame that Garth is now working for the worst company in the world and that Jake will likely be AWOL for years

Midnight Suns was fine (good), but imagine if they had been untethered from the vanity and culture of comic books. Imagine XCOM 3
Wouldn´t have happened with Jake since he has stated in a few interviews that he had no interest in directing another XCOM, IIRC.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Sylphosaurus posted:

Wouldn´t have happened with Jake since he has stated in a few interviews that he had no interest in directing another XCOM, IIRC.

Then he is dead to me

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

Then he is dead to me
That was basically one of the points with Chimaera Squad, partly to test the waters with a different direction of the franchise but also to groom the next generation of developers on Firaxis for the XCOM series.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Sylphosaurus posted:

That was basically one of the points with Chimaera Squad, partly to test the waters with a different direction of the franchise but also to groom the next generation of developers on Firaxis for the XCOM series.

I recognize Chimera Squad is probably a good game, but I couldn't get into it.

It's funny that I find the nameless squadies, that I'm served up at random, develop more personality than any edgy, bisexual, game developer could ever write

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

what

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

I'm much more attached to randomly generated XCOM 2 soldiers than the written squad members of Chimera Squad. I like them better

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

I recognize Chimera Squad is probably a good game, but I couldn't get into it.

It's funny that I find the nameless squadies, that I'm served up at random, develop more personality than any edgy, bisexual, game developer could ever write

Uhhh :confused:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2HqFR4eHc

e: aw dammit that one has a mission in the middle but whatever there's lots of stupid base chatter in it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder if xcom legends makes a lot of money

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Experience the game and tell me you can't profile the writer

EDIT: Maybe I stepped in it by invoking sexuality. It's irrelevant. A more appropriate attribute is being terminally online and incapable of courting offense. Only looking to be offended. They're not the same thing, but that's an attribute I see as common in certain developer circles. If you're writing characters, it doesn't make for interesting writing

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 24, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hooboy

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dorkopotamis posted:

i dunno how you profile someone as bi through their video game writing tbh. Like that is an extremely weird thing to say.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I barely remember the Chimera squad people, just Godmother and her shotgun and snake lady. I still remember a ton of my Xcom rando people though like my sniper Jane Doe who killed 11 floaters on overwatch in one mission or "Del" who died three times in one Ironman campaign(he died on a mission which then glitched out so I had to replay it where he lived, then he died again on a later mission and then a new recruit I got later had the exact same name and appearance as him and who also died)

I name a lot of my Xcom soldiers after people I actually know so that probably adds a lot of attachment.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

Yeah I played a ton of both xcom and chimera squad and I have never gone "yeah, whoever wrote this snakecop was definitely edgy and bisexual, unlike those very hetero xcom writers".

What an odd way to experience the world.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah it's an extremely weird thing to say

also Torque is hilarious and pretty much on par with any staff member from XCOM or XCOM 2

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Okay, okay I hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
All game developers do now is eat hot chip and be bisexual