Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

denmark doesnt have materially better collection. canada doesnt either. none of it is actually good because data entry gets worse the richer the peep doing it

ah yeah, i ofc cant comment on who has better/worse data collection going on. i can def believe that, as always, humans are the problem, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

fusion360... kinda... sorta... works on high DPI displays

like certain parts of the UI will still render like it's lower for some reason, and occasionally it just forgets you have that setting on entirely after an update and you have to go into the options to turn it back on, but it functions i guess

It's one of the better ones on a 4k display simply because it's newer, I've used fusion 360 a decent amount doing CNC work. It's relatively 'cheap' for what it does, and at least with everything being subscription based I can just not pay for it when I'm done spitting out all my g-code for the machine. Everyone of their products I've used has had some insane problem where I was trying to google solutions and the answer was 'this is a bug from a decade or two decades ago, just restart the program and hope it goes away'.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

VikingofRock posted:

Nah EHR legitimately sucks. My wife is a (fairly tech-savvy) optometrist and she says EHR jankiness often adds two unpaid hours to her day. She's used several different EHR systems and they all lack basic features. I was chatting with some of her optometry friends, and one of them was complaining that her EHR is so laggy that it will take five actual seconds to select a new field, and each patient has dozens of mandatory fields. A ton of her friends, despite being new grads, are already trying to leave the field because of the combo of increasing corporatization of the field (and resulting increased workloads) + extremely frustrating charting.

Yup. I've experienced an EHR that was so smalltime we were its biggest client and that wasn't a big time hospital system. It was laggy and crappy and the Citrix servers had to be reset daily. No one ever fixed or even identified the root cause for years and then we went bankrupt. This was also the place that expected desktop to manually log into a portal and reset VMs when maybe they coulda just ran a script If status=Agent Unreachable then reboot. The guy who designed was an arrogant gently caress who tried to get me fired in my first month and then went on to Vmware despite not having made a system that ever you know, worked.

And now I work with big boy Epic and, it's ok I guess, it's not nearly as shithouse as the other one and the people on infrastructure actually seem to know what they're doing, but it'll lag like crazy and I'll get a ticket about it and have no idea what to do because there isn't anything, that's just how these work.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

skooma512 posted:

And now I work with big boy Epic

i'm so sorry

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
EPIC will build you a custom EHR from the ground up to your exacting specifications no matter how terrible they are and no EPIC installation will be comparable to another.

Oracle will promise you can build whatever you want on their platform, give you a sales contract that says that, and then laugh as you hang yourself with all the rope their customization system provides you. All the while the professional services hours pile up wherein a clueless PM at your org steers an oracle serf into designing more foot guns and lays future mines for your users to discover which will lead to more professional services.

skooma512 posted:

Yup. I've experienced an EHR that was so smalltime we were its biggest client and that wasn't a big time hospital system. It was laggy and crappy and the Citrix servers had to be reset daily. No one ever fixed or even identified the root cause for years and then we went bankrupt. This was also the place that expected desktop to manually log into a portal and reset VMs when maybe they coulda just ran a script If status=Agent Unreachable then reboot. The guy who designed was an arrogant gently caress who tried to get me fired in my first month and then went on to Vmware despite not having made a system that ever you know, worked.

i bet it was allscripts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

Oracle will promise you can build whatever you want on their platform, give you a sales contract that says that, and then laugh as you hang yourself with all the rope their customization system provides you. All the while the professional services hours pile up wherein a clueless PM at your org steers an oracle serf into designing more foot guns and lays future mines for your users to discover which will lead to more professional services.

i have a client that has for reasons unrelated to me decided to build a ERP system from scratch with a 3rd party developer

they've released a test module for a workflow demo and after figuring out how to deploy it because all of their documentation was wrong i have to have a call with the partners to explain the massive security issues and the performance problems they're setting themselves up for with the components as designed.

it is hilariously easy to build a large scale database badly, and boy howdy, these guys have gone at it with gusto

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I keep asking for training so I can get on the mechanical bull of EHR and ride into figgiesland and WFH but nah, they'd rather make clinical staff into computer touches rather than the other way around. loving people and their "actual experience".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i bet it was allscripts

Allscripts was in our environment but no, it was Quadramed.

Speaking of. There were at least two or three other EHRs in the same environment and they all had to talk to each other, I think the interfaces were said to be in the thousands. Surgery had their own thing, ambulatory had Allscripts, general nursing had quadra, Admitting had Chartmaxx and they would always loving call on the weekend from ER because the scanner didn't work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if heard athena is different in that its more one size fits all, but i've only had like one client in the past who used them so idk much about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The problem with having this discussion with shaggar, which we have done again and again and again, is that he can't separate his opinions of how healthcare administration works on the employee and software side (which are correct) from his generally libertarian (i.e. wrong) beliefs about how healthcare should/can be run at a societal level.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i mentioned above that CMS should be the one standardizing this. The problem is they're incompetent. its an issue of management that isnt solved by "just throw more money at it"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's just a bunch of crud forms Harold, how much could it cost to build, five months?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

please stop talking about things related to my job in this thread

tia

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hey everyone its the guy who write bad hospital software! get him!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

post hole digger posted:

he want to taste the curb! he wants to taste the loving curb!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Wayne Knight posted:

tia

ok i'll stop shitposting, i wouldn't want to be reminded of the latrines either

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eeyo posted:

i wouldn't want to be reminded of the latrines either

Two more days!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post hole digger posted:

FMguru posted:

he want to taste the curb! he wants to taste the loving curb!

get his rear end

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

>:-[

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Wayne Knight posted:

tia

What are you going to do, give us MUMPS?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Like the reason the doc puts everything into the notes field is because hes a lazy piece of poo poo and doesnt think he should have to do it right, not because the fields dont exist or he hasnt been told how to do it correctly.

Mr. Crow posted:

this is correct, almost all doctors, especially the more specialized they are, are completely full of themselves

doctor strange is more accurate than you think

the more specialized doctors see people at more clinics and hospitals in more networks with disparate it systems and workflows.

like imagine you just worked a full day and were woken up by a hospital you haven’t physically been to in several weeks at 3am. after surgery it’s now say 7am and your coffee/red bull is wearing off and you are trying to remember what your login even is in this hospital’s system. then you try and remember which hospital you’re even at and even if you cared probably are doing it the way the hospital you were at yesterday did stuff.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

The problem with having this discussion with shaggar, which we have done again and again and again, is that he can't separate his opinions of how healthcare administration works on the employee and software side (which are correct) from his generally libertarian (i.e. wrong) beliefs about how healthcare should/can be run at a societal level.

the problem is also the tendency of americans to believe that $problem is unsolvable because the usa has spent so much money and resources and $problem still exists and it therefore it is simply unsolvable.

no other countries have solved $problem, no need to even remotely consider that, the people suggesting this are not worth engaging

see also: wire transfer chat, public transport chat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ehr is unlike those others in that it's absolute dog poo poo in other rich countries too

denmark and finlands main centralized ehr contracts are with epic, for example, so structurally poo poo

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/06/epic-denmark-health-1510223

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah exactly that was my point with my example, doctor culture is more powerful than capitalism or nationalism and leads to lovely record keeping no matter what.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

since electricity travels at a finite speed, and batteries are not that efficient and expensive, couldnt we just create a huge loop of electrical cabling and let the electricity travel around the loop in circles until its needed, and then we just tap the loop?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wait is that what static electricity is?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
no static electricity is when the electrons are just sitting there waiting to go, like a big capacitor

your idea sounds more like a big inductor

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sagebrush posted:

The problem (...)is discussion with shaggar

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

fart simpson posted:

since electricity travels at a finite speed, and batteries are not that efficient and expensive, couldnt we just create a huge loop of electrical cabling and let the electricity travel around the loop in circles until its needed, and then we just tap the loop?

yes, there's just the small matter of keeping the wire at 4 kelvin

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont know what that means but it cant be that hard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

no static electricity is when the electrons are just sitting there waiting to go, like a big capacitor

your idea sounds more like a big inductor

If you make the superconducting loop a figure eight the inductive behavior cancels itself out, so your battery doesn't also turn into a big magnet.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

i dont know what that means but it cant be that hard

Imagine 4 kelvins on the edge of a cliff

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have an app on my phone that shows me my entire medical history back to birth gently caress knows how some of that got transcribed in there. also I can reorder meds through it.

the NHS spent *billions* to get to this point though

Sapozhnik posted:

it's just a bunch of crud forms Harold, how much could it cost to build, five months?

lol

leper khan posted:

What are you going to do, give us MUMPS?

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
avenging dentists story about how he was tricked into working on MUMPS will always make me laugh

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ehr is unlike those others in that it's absolute dog poo poo in other rich countries too

denmark and finlands main centralized ehr contracts are with epic, for example, so structurally poo poo

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/06/epic-denmark-health-1510223

yeah but in countries with socialized medicine it is ok because people do not have to self ration their doctors visits in order to get their moneys worth or deal with concepts like in/out network

the bar to clear here is “will a person get their care they need without massive bankrupting fees” and not “are doctors filling forms correctly”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here our doctors arent free theyre subsidised and still about $50 so people go to the emergency dept and wait around coz their kid has a cough

theyve made a new service so that I can do a bunch of minor poo poo for them for free and if I want to get paid for it (the business, not me), I have to fill in a web form correctly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

I have to fill in a web form correctly

adhd kryptonite

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

fart simpson posted:

This is actually a thing but I remember nothing else about it. Also commercial products were produced to store data this way as well. I also remember nothing else about that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Internet Old One posted:

This is actually a thing but I remember nothing else about it. Also commercial products were produced to store data this way as well. I also remember nothing else about that.

Delay line memory is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah that's delay line memory, but it didn't use electricity to store stuff it used sound waves traveling through a big ol' vat of mercury