Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah, the insane people are the sellers. I've been casually browsing cars to get something newer and it's baffling too. Seeing a few year old used cars with 120k miles for not much less than new is nuts to me. Just gonna end up running my car into the ground at this rate.

The other day, I was glancing at the prices of Scions:

Oh, that makes sense. Yes, a 7 or 8 year old econobox from a dead marque with 80,000 miles should cost $1,000 less than original MSRP when sold new. By the depreciation curve, I'm guessing these cars are expected to last 100 years and drive a million miles, right? Hell, when these things were sold new they were financed for 0.9% or 1.9% APR and for a lot less than $344/mo for 5 years like they are now.

It seems now like any car that is less than a decade old is "like new" and sells for a very slight discount compared to a new car. I have no idea why anyone would buy a used car in this market if they just want basic transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I have no idea why anyone would buy a used car in this market
I've been trying to buy both a decent used car for my 17 year old for a year, and a new car for my wife and I for almost 2 years, and nope. My old pickup has just become a near daily driver. gently caress buying anything unless you absolutely need to right now.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We literally only bought a new car because the missus got a new job that required a car and we really wanted a warranty. Certified cars were priced as new, so why not buy new?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
We need to petition Toyota to lower the Toyota tax.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I guess this is part of the price instability that causes inflation.

Honestly, while I was never really sharp about prices, I've completely lost track of what most cars are worth now. TBH, I find the whole $100,000 truck thing profoundly weird.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MiniFoo posted:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-1983-mazda-rx-limited-edition/7645149897.html

Practically the same condition and previous owner history as when I got my RX-7 a dozen years ago, except asking nearly quadruple the price. If only Giselle wasn't turning into Frankenstein's monster now, I'd have an investment. just kidding, I'm not planning on selling my car once the repairs are complete so she's technically priceless

I feel you. My handle on RX7Club is "FrankenRex." There's a reason. My '79 was already a bit of a mashup when I got it, and I've only made it worse (better.)
If I could leave anything stock, that LE would be one.

Nitrox posted:

I would understand if this was 1985 with a 13b engine and super low miles. But I don't think there's anything special about that '83 other than the sticker.

Nobody, since it's still listed for sale. But we can revisit this conversation if it actually sells at anywhere close to that amount.

All of them that year got the sticker. What makes it an LE is the options package, and the exclusive to that package wheels.
edit: and 1984 and '85 models got a similar sticker, but with updated years, because Mazda kept winning.

Twerk from Home posted:

The other day, I was glancing at the prices of Scions:

Oh, that makes sense. Yes, a 7 or 8 year old econobox from a dead marque with 80,000 miles should cost $1,000 less than original MSRP when sold new. By the depreciation curve, I'm guessing these cars are expected to last 100 years and drive a million miles, right? Hell, when these things were sold new they were financed for 0.9% or 1.9% APR and for a lot less than $344/mo for 5 years like they are now.

It seems now like any car that is less than a decade old is "like new" and sells for a very slight discount compared to a new car. I have no idea why anyone would buy a used car in this market if they just want basic transportation.

My wife wants a Kia Soul, which I am OK with, but they're just as bad. They have to be 10 years old before they approach $10K.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Darchangel posted:

I feel you. My handle on RX7Club is "FrankenRex." There's a reason. My '79 was already a bit of a mashup when I got it, and I've only made it worse (better.)
If I could leave anything stock, that LE would be one.

All of them that year got the sticker. What makes it an LE is the options package, and the exclusive to that package wheels.
edit: and 1984 and '85 models got a similar sticker, but with updated years, because Mazda kept winning.

Yeah I've got the 1984 sticker on my '85. And I agree, probably the whole reason that price is so high is exactly because it's a survivor and completely unmolested.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

MiniFoo posted:

Yeah I've got the 1984 sticker on my '85. And I agree, probably the whole reason that price is so high is exactly because it's a survivor and completely unmolested.

This is pretty common in the Datsun 240z community. Some goober sees a mint, first-year, low mileage 240z sell on BAT for $100k and suddenly their 2nd year, halfway decent restoration is worth "at least" $40k in their minds. They never get it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Being 1922 would technically qualify for a "horseless carriage" license plate in California

quote:

Citroën 5HP 1922 for sale

€ 5,000

Citroen 5cv torpedo from 1922.
One of the first 5hp, equipped with 700x80 heel wheels (small gauge), 3-part bonnet and engine with Delco (not magneto).
Chassis / engine redone. New tires.
Restoration to finish.
I have the 2 side panels of the body (visible in the photos) and a running board (original).
The windshield, the spare wheel support, the hood arches, the headlights are missing.
French gray card present (old)

https://www.prewarcar.com/481921-early-citroen-5hp

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

We literally only bought a new car because the missus got a new job that required a car and we really wanted a warranty. Certified cars were priced as new, so why not buy new?

Pretty much why we got a new Avalon hybrid, every decent used hybrid without crazy miles wasn't much cheaper than a new one.

My wife has a long commute and was spending a ridiculous amount of money on (premium) gas for her Lexus V8, the Avalon has cut it by more than half

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

This is a first model year 1955 CJ5 serial #13845. It has an original Auburn Jeep-A-Trench and the rare factory T98 4-speed transmission with granny low gear.

This style trencher is the gear-draulic which uses a hydraulic pump to raise and lower the unit. A driveshaft will slowly drive the Jeep while it trenches.

I'm told this last ran approximately 10 years ago. Engine spins over, but has low compression of 25-35 psi. Rings likely need soaked. I pulled the intake valve cover off and it looked clean.

Unsure of trencher condition itself, but check out Turn N Burn on YouTube where another trencher was brought back to life without much work.

Frame has patches as most trencher Jeeps do. Aside from the left rear corner dent, body is pretty decent for its age.

No title. Firm on price.

CJ2A CJ3A CJ3B GP GPW CJ5 CJ6 CJ7 M38 M170 Willys Jeep willies willy CJ2A CJ3A CJ3B army military vintage CJ

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm sure a bike engine swap would fix that battery life issue.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Garfield really putting that butthole on display.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

This owns so hard

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's certainly a thing

:stare:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I still think it would need dampers of some sort. Pretty cool though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So do you sit on the gas tank or the exhaust pipe?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The seat’s in the middle like one inch off the ground. Is that some sort of pull start Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it looks like a 5-6hp Honda gx200 clone of some sort, similar to a predator 212

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=predator%20gas%20engine

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Similar to the magnetic suspension motorcycle but also the the complete opposite:

quote:

$1000 OBO

Driven: 2000 km

Manual Transmission

Horsepower: 300 hp

For sell
Seeing what I can get all I know it do not run at the time make in offer

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That thing doesn't have 300 hp!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like a smog era AMC 258, so maybe they just missed a decimal.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Powershift posted:

Looks like a smog era AMC 258, so maybe they just missed a decimal.

3.00? Yeah. Could believe it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

That thing doesn't have 300 hp!

Super legeria, feels like 300 hp

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Christ. Henry Frauds Model F.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bentley/mark-vi/2683937.html

rat rod in a bottle. just add twin turbo LS and a coat of linseed oil
asking price $11,750

already plumbed with dual exhaust && looks like the grill already has a fresh chrome job

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I wouldn't trust any of that with a V8 and two turbos

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
a chev 2.7 turbo tho...

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

another loser posted:

Hmmm, this is looking pretty tempting

Good bad decision has been made, picking this up today.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hadlock posted:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bentley/mark-vi/2683937.html

rat rod in a bottle. just add twin turbo LS and a coat of linseed oil
asking price $11,750

already plumbed with dual exhaust && looks like the grill already has a fresh chrome job
Hmmmmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxxaHYlCuN8

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

another loser posted:

Don't fall out of it

Which weirdly for a truck looks totally possible if it lacks seatbelts

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think about this post often. If you want to go the easy button route a couple of places sell a $6000, ~150 ft lb motor that you just plug into the transmission and then you have to find room for the battery... which isn't an issue on those cars, as you've pointed out

$6k is a lot for an electric motor but between no need for aftermarket support + 0 maintenance you probably come out way ahead vs trying to turn that into a runner + machine shop time etc

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 4, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

another loser posted:

So which thread will you use to post updates on this, I wanna see more

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo23/monterey/lots/r0058-1954-ferrari-500-mondial-spider-series-i-by-pinin-farina/1358217

Offered without reserve!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cheapest Mondial to sell in the last 5 years went for 2 million, pretty sure you can get the restoration done for less than $800k and make some money, especially if the drive train is included.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Snowy posted:

So which thread will you use to post updates on this, I wanna see more

In classic craigslist/FB marketplace fashion, run into a bit of a snag with the purchase. They guy was selling it for his buddy, and buddy sort of failed to tell anybody that it currently has a salvage title..... The seller is going to try and sort something out, either with getting it inspected for a Rebuilt title or something more creative....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

Cheapest Mondial to sell in the last 5 years went for 2 million, pretty sure you can get the restoration done for less than $800k and make some money, especially if the drive train is included.
How the gently caress does one restore that? What is left to restore?