Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I absolutely love parrying and I hated sekiro, totally lacking in humour, so self serious and so adamant that you will GIT GUD.

Probably the only "modern" game I've put a game breaking cheat on just so I could run through one shotting everything. Made it way more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

DrBouvenstein posted:

I tried it, hated it. Parrying was almost my least favorite thing in any Souls game. I managed to get my way through Bloodborne, because there was a wider window on the gun "parry" than most of the Souls parrying (and you COULOD get through the game barely using it), but couldn't do Sekiro.

Isn't there, like, THREE different types of parry you had to use? And then memorize every attack of every enemy to know if that attack needed Parry A, B, or C and the exact timing thereof?
You can avoid enemy attacks by parrying, dodging or jumping, and there's an extra action you can unlock to counter spear attacks. You can do that on reaction, there's no need to absolutely memorize everything, will make it easier of course.

Personally, I didn't quite warm up to Sekiro, I got okay at it but didn't want to spend time practicing the final boll. I will eventually replay it from the start though and expect to now be a lot better from the get-go, get even better and finish it. I get if it doesn't click with someone. But everybody who is a Souls fan should try it.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Sekiro is one of the best games I've ever played and easily my favourite souls-ish game
but, that comes with the massive caveat that you need to have a good sense of rhythm and enjoy games that really push that sense
otherwise yeah you are going to find it an absolutely miserable game and I don't blame anyone for hating it

Edit: also the Ogre sucks rear end to fight and the fact that it's the very first mandatory miniboss is actually a major problem with the game IMHO

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 28, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I tried it, hated it. Parrying was almost my least favorite thing in any Souls game. I managed to get my way through Bloodborne, because there was a wider window on the gun "parry" than most of the Souls parrying (and you COULOD get through the game barely using it), but couldn't do Sekiro.

Isn't there, like, THREE different types of parry you had to use? And then memorize every attack of every enemy to know if that attack needed Parry A, B, or C and the exact timing thereof?

There is only one type of parry and it is very generous. A missed parry just turns into a block in Sekiro so you still avoid HP damage. Even spamming the block button on fast enemies is effective enough for most fights in the game until you get more experienced with matching the attack patterns.

What you are thinking of are the three types of perilous attacks which are the only type of attack that cannot be parried. These are few and far between, mostly on bosses and minibosses, and are identified by a red symbol popping up. You do have to learn to recognize these attacks and avoid them appropriately but this doesn't require memorization, just recognition of the movements. If they are doing a stab you use the mikiri counter, if they are doing a sweep you jump over it, and if it's anything else it's a grab and you just avoid it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Sekiro is my joint favourite FromSoft game, alongside Elden Ring. It is an utter distilation of one style of play for an entire game. Maybe that style of play is not for everyone and that is fine, but the sheer tight controls of it and essence of what it asked for helped me become incredibly powerful in their other games.

I beat Demons Souls and Elden Ring solo because of it. I then went back to Bloodborne and beat the entire game by myself. I then went and beat the entirety of a Dark Souls II modded game with everything moved and randomised because of how much Sekiro taught me.

I cannot get enough of that game and I find it stunning. Please do not skip it. Do not skip any FromSoft game - play all of them and have a wonderful time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From should make a Sekiro but for magic users only so I can have fun with it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

they should make a sekiro sequel where you play as a kite guy

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dragon God and World Tendency are reason enough to hate Demon's Souls imo. I'm glad stupid poo poo like that got left behind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I actually think World Tendency is pretty cool and wish From would bring it back in some fashion, albeit in a more intuitive way.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

world tendency was fine if you treated it as intended, an incentive to re-explore areas when the server baseline and your actions coincide for a pure tendency, to pick up cool optional treats

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked the tension of having to figure out a dungeon and then betting on yourself with a TOEE once you felt like you knew enough to beat it. I was disappointed to see that years later most players did not do this at ALL, never popped a TOEE even though they were fairly abundant, and spent 100% of their time wearing the Cling Ring.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

world tendency was fine if you treated it as intended, an incentive to re-explore areas when the server baseline and your actions coincide for a pure tendency, to pick up cool optional treats

IIRC, wasn't it just super-hard to get white/pure white tendency vs black/pure black?

Like, to get black, you can just go human and die over and over again. You could ALWAYS get the world to black.

But to get white, I think the only options were kill a world boss (and there were at most...4? Maybe 5 Some worlds only had 3, IIRC) and once they were done...that's it. I think killing an invader might also get you to white, but once the game was out for a long enough time, no one was invading anymore ( and even when it was new, it never had as many invasions as the Dark Souls series.) And then of course when they took the servers offline, no invasions at all.

So if you killed the boss for like 1-1, but then kept dying over and over again to the Tower Knight...you'll never get world 1 to pure white.

Did they implement world tendency in the remastered version?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah it's harder to get it to white, and also there was a system where when you log into the server it resets your world tendency to some average value (I think they got rid of that in the remake?), so if you were doing a 100% run you basically had to be offline the entire time and always be in soul form.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Welcome to the dark souls claw grip. Learn it, love it
actually just rebind dodge/run to left bumper instead

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the archers aren't that bad in a vacuum, it's just that with the tenuous footing the best approach is the opposite of like 90% of the game (being overly cautious is way more likely to kill you than just gunning it)
The thing that's often missed in Anor Londo Archers™ discussion is that they got nerfed after release.
The lefthand archer of the top duo used to be in a different, much more dangerous position where he was way better at shooting you in the back while you approached the righthand one.

ilmucche posted:

Am I remembering wrong or was there a patch that fixed shrine of amana before scholar came out? Was scholar the version that came with all the dlc?
Shrine's projectile tracking did get heavily nerfed in a patch at some point, yes.

However, shine of amana was a good area literally the whole time and people complaining about it while ignoring or downplaying ds2's other faults has always been crazy.

Serephina posted:

Game is good, game is NOT "a hard game", god knows where it got that reputation.
besides many people not having experience with a lot of hard games, there's also the contrast between it and the other (more)popular rpg of the era

a whole lot of very inaccurate "western rpg design vs eastern rpg design" arguments back in the day stemming from this as well.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 28, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Did that patch come to PTDE or just Remastered? Because PTDE was the version I played and I got shot in the back a whole lot when I tackled the archers

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

IronicDongz posted:

The thing that's often missed in Anor Londo Archers™ discussion is that they got nerfed after release.
The lefthand archer of the top duo used to be in a different, much more dangerous position where he was way better at shooting you in the back while you approached the righthand one.
I kind of want to go back and check the unpatched PS3 disc version about this. I see the odd reference to it online (including a Twitter post by Vaati), but the left one can still shoot you in the back as you approach the right one if you are unlucky, and none of the videos I can find online have a noticeably different placement.

This video (edit: the description of the video) implies the position has been changed since the video was recorded and is now much easier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmhQqj22QCE&t=71s

But if you compare it to this much newer video, the archer is in the same place (about five "rose pattern"s from the end of the buttress)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXBPXbyxcLs&t=10s

It's hard to find really old videos that actually get a good look at the left archer, but this one was uploaded only one month after release and the placement seems to be the familiar one (looking from a distance on the way up) and he doesn't take any arrows in the back when fighting the right archer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUwLWLjglIA&t=41s

So the nerf must have happened almost immediately, if it did happen. Anyway I don't think most of the people talking about the archers today are still talking about the way they were in the first 30 days the game was out.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 28, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DrBouvenstein posted:

IIRC, wasn't it just super-hard to get white/pure white tendency vs black/pure black?

Like, to get black, you can just go human and die over and over again. You could ALWAYS get the world to black.

But to get white, I think the only options were kill a world boss (and there were at most...4? Maybe 5 Some worlds only had 3, IIRC) and once they were done...that's it. I think killing an invader might also get you to white, but once the game was out for a long enough time, no one was invading anymore ( and even when it was new, it never had as many invasions as the Dark Souls series.) And then of course when they took the servers offline, no invasions at all.

So if you killed the boss for like 1-1, but then kept dying over and over again to the Tower Knight...you'll never get world 1 to pure white.

Did they implement world tendency in the remastered version?

Off the top of my head, world tendency increases from killing bosses (the main way), killing NPC black phantoms, killing invading player black phantoms (as the host) and killing primeval demons (that only spawn with black world tendency)

They're not all weighted the same though, I think primeval demons jump you like halfway back up

Also changes only take effect once you teleport back to the nexus, or at least out of the world. It's definitely harder to go up than down though which is why the usual strat after killing a boss and becoming human is to kill yourself in the Nexus. I think the code tracks WT for the Nexus as well but it isn't displayed anywhere in the game and has no effect on anything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

I actually think World Tendency is pretty cool and wish From would bring it back in some fashion, albeit in a more intuitive way.

I read a lot of DS1's experimental online mechanics as an attempt to keep the flavor of WT without wholesale transplanting it.

Of course, half of those mechanics shipped broken and the other half are insanely obscure, so...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

IronicDongz posted:

Shrine's projectile tracking did get heavily nerfed in a patch at some point, yes.

However, shine of amana was a good area literally the whole time and people complaining about it while ignoring or downplaying ds2's other faults has always been crazy

I played the game a lot on release so I must've done both. Really the scholar changes were what bugged me most. Even iron keep was okay pre-scholar

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Volte posted:

I kind of want to go back and check the unpatched PS3 disc version about this. I see the odd reference to it online (including a Twitter post by Vaati), but the left one can still shoot you in the back as you approach the right one if you are unlucky, and none of the videos I can find online have a noticeably different placement.
Looking into it further, I'm pretty sure it's actually just hearsay and a very persistent rumor. king_bore doesn't see any differences to them in patches.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Oops. That’s what I get for not making sure I am at the end of the thread before replying.

WT only drops if you die in Body form. You can die as many times as you’d like in Soul form.

Pretty standard practice if you are aiming for PWWT to suicide in the Nexus after each boss (since Nexus deaths don’t count).

I think WT/CT we’re neat ideas, just not well-realized. I also wish they had brought them back in a more refined form in later games.

HaB fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 30, 2023

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

HaB posted:

I think WT/CT we’re neat ideas, just not well-realized. I also wish they had brought them back in a more refined form in later games.

Yeah it's an interesting concept with IMHO terrible execution.
Like surface level, it's too obtuse, to the point that the average player won't even realize they exist. And the actions that change tendency are too lopsided as well, with white tendency requiring boss kills and black tendency requiring just dying.
But also at a deeper level it's just super backwards:
If you are good at the game and don't die, you get increased healing drops and lower material drops.
If you are bad at the game and die, especially after you go human to summon help, then you get lower healing drops, higher material drops, and enemies get harder.

The system ends up giving you the exact opposite of what you need.
I think WT/CT could be done really well, and I am sad they abandoned it entirely instead of refining it.

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 30, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Perhaps the worst part about WT is that, even if you know exactly what you're doing, it ends up being a lot of work to get all the rewards, because it turns itself off. White World stuff often leads you to hostile NPCs which, if you kill them, turns the world black again; even if they're not hostile, they often have unique armor sets, so you want to kill them if you want everything. That means you need to be careful about which order you do the WWT events in, so you finish with the NPC kill.

Then, the reverse is double true for BWT, because both the black phantom NPCs it spawns and the primordial demons push the WT back to white (heftily so, even), but demons spawn in EVERY level, so you really need to do all of them at once, forcing you onto a merry world tour. At least you can die, but it's still a slog and a half. Bonus points for realizing too late that you can't go back from Latria 2 to Latria 1. Also, demons spawn one off pure BWT, so you can start the murder spree before you realize that the black phantom isn't there and ughhhhhh

That all of that also fucks with character tendency means that in order to 100% the game, you have to route like a speedrunner, and a single mistake might mean a trip to NG+.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I feel like the solution the developers would give you is "so don't 100% the game, play it through and you get what you get". That's the whole reason it has rare drops, right? Once every few runs, you get a BSS on the way to gargs, how nice. But that doesn't hold in the age of achievements.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

HaB posted:

Oops. That’s what I get for not making sure I am at the end of the thread before replying.

WT only drops if you die in Body form. You can die as many times as you’d like in Soul form.

Pretty standard practice if you are aiming for PWWT to suicide in the Nexus after each boss (since Nexus deaths don’t count).

It's really not the same thing at all because of how much it got changed, but there's an illusory wall video that makes a good case that there's a clear throughline with the world tendency mechanic in the first three souls games (DeS, DS1 and DS2). World tendency got adapted into the gravelord covenant mechanic (which actually uses the same world tendency tag in the code to operate), which got streamlined into the black phantoms you see on NG+ playthroughs of DS2, and then abandoned after that.

There's a clear drop off in the number and ambition of weird asynchronous online features after the first two games, stuff like WT, the Old Monk bossfight, Gravelords, miracle resonance etc. I think they got put off trying these things after they were a little too obtuse (and occasionally bugged) and didn't really end up working as intended a lot of the time, combined with a massively increased audience and pressure to follow up on the success of Dark Souls, but it is kind of a shame. A lot of the reasons those early games were so great is you can tell the dev team was pretty much completely unafraid to throw weird poo poo into the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I also see evil Vagrants as world tendency-ish, particularly from the perspective of potentially "rescuing" lost humanity and manipulating the average amount of it available across the network.

Meanwhile good Vagrants basically only make sense with DeS's inventory limits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been trying Daughters of Ash. It's hard but fascinating.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd love to hear about it! I've always been curious to try one of those total overhaul mods but haven't done it yet

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I had to find the key to the Valley of the Drakes in New Londo, which had no ghosts. Then as I was reaching Andre, the Titanite Demon is now a boss fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuq40RYDBG0

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

MonsieurChoc posted:

New Londo, which had no ghosts

loving sold

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

new londo ghosts are extremely easy to deal with, but it is bullshit that they can move/attack through walls but still body-block the player

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

goblin week posted:

loving sold

I'm almost certain the ghosts will come back when I unflood New Londo.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Did a spot of jolly co-operation in the Depths a couple nights ago. It went well.
https://youtu.be/CKpHHNIDJ2Y

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer

Frank Caskelot posted:

Did a spot of jolly co-operation in the Depths a couple nights ago. It went well.

That last look at the host as he summons another player :lmao:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Frank Caskelot posted:

Outstanding work

Reminds me of the time i got summoned for O&S and died in the hallway outside because the host wanted to dick around with the giants

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Outstanding work

Reminds me of the time i got summoned for O&S and died in the hallway outside because the host wanted to dick around with the giants

This has happened to me several times. Most often because I think the host is going to dick around with the giants but instead goes to summon Solaire and I get cornered by the big fuckers.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Every time in any Souls game where I’m summoned and immediately fall to my death in the dumbest way possible.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lemon from the Backlogs youtube channel is doing a DS1 one-shot challenge for other Dark Souls challenge run youtubers.

Kill as many of bosses, npcs, npc invaders, and non-respawning mobs with exactly one attack button press. One kill allows for one point level up.

This guy did a pretty good run!

https://youtu.be/Pc1rDqfkdR0

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Getting summoned, being confused by the hosts behavior which you are unable to meaningfully change, and dying in service of saving them... that jolly cooperation right there motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:hellyeah:

also true when you die in a way that fucks them over