Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:unsmith:

Nice to see an event wipe away a lot of that accumulated Japan disapproval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

paragon1 posted:

:unsmith:

Nice to see an event wipe away a lot of that accumulated Japan disapproval.

We're actually doing pretty well with both Japan and China, and our overall approval rating from the people of Guangdong is excellent. The only ones who aren't totally ecstatic are the Japanese expats and they're still sitting at about 75%.

Update on previous page!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, things are going for the better!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We're getting into the final years here and there might not be a chance to complete everything, so choose wisely.

A:

B:

C:

B and C are mutually exclusive.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A. Those peasants are using those rare earths anyways.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I feel like having gotten the corruption abusing the system out so heavily first WOULD be the thing that might make the tax laws easier to pass, but also, those minerals ain't gonna mine themselves. A.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A if we make our number big before taxing we get more taxes :eng101:

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 26, 2023

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
A makes sense, and it might even be something the idiots won't complain about!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
A

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
A

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A is the clear choice, so we will next introduce the Rural Development Ordinance. But there are two different approaches we can take.

1:

2:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

2. Now we can give them houses.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
1 .15% of GDP growth seems a small price to pay for not dislocating people from their homes. I'm sure they can figure it out.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop this is going way too well.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

paragon1 posted:

1 .15% of GDP growth seems a small price to pay for not dislocating people from their homes. I'm sure they can figure it out.

Not an emptyquote

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

1. Since with 2, y'know. What homes are there to move into? :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't think people really want to live at the mine site so let's 2 relocate them to the newly prosperous and equitable cities

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Arcanuse posted:

1. Since with 2, y'know. What homes are there to move into? :v:

Good point.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Heffer
May 1, 2003

How far through the game are we? Halfway?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Heffer posted:

How far through the game are we? Halfway?

We are rapidly approaching the end! Guangdong has 10 years worth of content, which in practice could actually work out to the game ending in 1971-74.

1 is the winner; update in a few hours (probably).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 26: October - December 1969

The Chief Executive has gone from triumph to triumph, but his mind – and sleep – remain uneasy.

After all, there are so many different forms trauma can take.

Who is to say which is more legitimate than the others?

quote:

World News
GERMAN MISSILES DEPLOYED TO MAURITIUS AND RÉUNION

November 22, 1969
Tokyo, Japan

Japan raised its global military alert level today, less than 24 hours after the release of American and Japanese intelligence reports that the German Reich has constructed missile launch facilities on the islands of Mauritius and Réunion, placing its nuclear warheads deep in a hotly contested area.

Hailed in Germania as a great strategic victory, the revelation has drawn stern condemnation from the Empire of Japan whose diplomats unequivocally warned about the possibility of reciprocal action. The outcome of German militarization of the Indian Ocean remains uncertain, but it can safely be said that the incident has led to an increase in international tension comparable to the beginning of the Hawaiian Missile Crisis.

Tension in the Indian Ocean is concerning, as Guangdong’s economy – like the rest of the Sphere’s – is heavily reliant on Middle Eastern oil shipments. Instability in that whole region could have calamitous effects. But there is nothing we can do about this except keep on with the business at hand.

quote:

The Displaced Family

"Did you hear about that new program, dad?"

It was a gray day in Kōshu, mild showers and a bit of wind, and the Lee family's mood was somewhat negative to match it. While Chun washed up the dishes after their meal, Leong and Mei sat at the table drinking some cheap tea. Hei and Wai were out at school.

Lee Leong replied to his son: "Yes, I've heard about it. They're not tearing up rural villages anymore; they're just going to keep them in place and train the locals to do the jobs on the projects."

Lee Chun looked saddened. "Ah, it really is an improvement on what Suzuki did to us, huh?"

Chun, Leong, and Mei remembered the house they had once had back in the village. It hadn't been much, but it was better than what they had in Kōshu, and it held a lot of happy memories. But they had been ruthlessly driven from the village, it had been torn down, and now there was either a dam or a mine on top of where they had once lived.

It was a somber moment. Mei spoke for all the people present when she said, "If this is true, I'm glad to hear it, though I'm still sad about what happened to us."

"I just hope nobody else goes through what we did."

This one gets through pretty easily and bribes are not required.

And so the Legislative Council adjourns for the last time this decade. As they have since 1873 the Japanese population of Guangdong prepares to celebrate the new year on January 1st, while the Chinese citizens go about their business treating it like any other day. The Zhujin, for once benefiting from being caught between the two, look forward to having an excuse to celebrate two holidays, this and the Lunar New Year on January 26.

For now, though, let’s take a look around the world and see where things stand at the beginning of the 1970s.

Guangdong is a transformed land, her people safe and secure and profits rocketing upwards. Surely nothing can knock down a building with such a sturdy foundation!

To our north, the Republic of China has used the shock of the Nanjing Report as a springboard for further economic reforms, with tacit approval – or at least indifference – from Prime Minister Takagi, himself consumed with an anti-corruption crusade.

The rest of the Sphere remains generally peaceful with the sole exception of Vietnam, whose government, after suffering a coup and counter-coup, has continued to lose territory to the Viet Minh.

The various wars in Sub-Saharan and Equatorial Africa have died down as borders are claimed and states turn their attention inward.

With Japanese support, the Pan-African movement has gone from victory to victory, successfully driving the French and their lackeys from West Africa and the Americans from Angola.

In the Mediterranean and North Africa, the Rome Pact – Italy’s successor to the ill-fated Triumvirate – serves as an effective check on further German expansion, even as relations between the two European powers improves gradually.

Western Europe, however, remains at war. In the former Iberian Federation, democratic and fascist forces tear at each other in Spain and Portugal, with the war possibly going either way. France could potentially see a victor soon, though.

Across the Channel, London continues to celebrate their reunification, but at what cost?

Here’s a surprise; while the UK joining the OFN seemed perfectly natural …

… Turkey’s cozying up with the alliance has seemed to come out of left field.

In the United States, the first year of President Goldwater’s term has seen a focus on international trade, particularly with shoring up economic ties within the OFN. A “Sony of America” subsidiary will remain a pipe dream.

Meanwhile, South America is a divided continent. Brazilian and Uruguayan democracy remains strong, while Argentina and Chile languish under the autocratic rule on Juan Perón and Roberto Viaux, respectively. Further north, dictatorships in Ecuador and New Granada face down the leftist democratic government in Venezuela.

And finally in Russia, General Yagoda’s brutal communist regime has been defeated by the somewhat less brutal oligarchy in Novosibirsk, while west of the Urals the battle rages on.

But now, we really must do something about taxes and Guangdong. Choose one:

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

A, B, and C are all mutually exclusive, as are D and E

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You didn't set the option allowing the AI to trigger WW3, did you? :ohdear:

Voting for B.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Better create the Guangdong Future Fund.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
We must make a Better future for the country!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

B sounds good. Our record low corruption hopefully means it won't be completely ransacked. Plus sounds like something you can use as leverage.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
B, who needs tax reform when the line keeps going up?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Was the writing for those mine events a little off to anyone else?

B sounds good but I'm going to say E , thinks have been going well enough that I fear another shoe drop :ohdear:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
B and sony can maybe use some of it to make videogames

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
B sounds good.

sad to see this mod's authors continue to indulge their reactionary anti-Peronist bias smh

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Guangdong Future Fund is the clear choice, but to keep the next update from being super short, let's also figure out what else we're going to do for Guangdong's tax system.

You've seen these choices before, but I'll also add the different ways that they can be implemented to the vote.

A:

And its subchoices:

1:

2:

- or -

B

1:

2:

Vote for one ordinance and one amendment to that ordinance, so B1 or A2, for example.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B1 Perfect chance to see the likes of Komai lead out in cuffs!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Approve of B1

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

B1

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A1

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
B1.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
B1, if our current tax system can't even tax what it ought to, then there's no point in expanding it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
B1 please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 27: January - November 1970

quote:

World News
VICTORIOUS RÉSISTANCE DECLARES FOURTH REPUBLIC

January 12, 1970
Bordeaux, France

The French Civil War has come to a shocking conclusion as the Résistance stands victorious. For decades, people inside France and abroad thought that the Résistance was little more than a myth after the harsh crackdowns of Chief of State Pétain. This was proven wrong when the organization rose up in the early days of the French Civil War.

Now, French citizens celebrate in the streets across the West of the country. In Bordeaux, declared to be the new capital until Paris is fully reunited, elections are already being planned to ensure that the citizens of France finally have a true say in their government once again.

Against all odds, it seems that the torch of democracy has finally returned to France.

The year 1970 begins with the conclusion of the French Civil War. Already, OFN officials have been photographed arriving in Bordeaux.

Back home, the Chief Executive’s attention finally turns to the tax system. After a short deliberation, the Guangdong Future Fund is chosen as the best way to proceed.

Good thing we didn’t let the ICAC go completely ham on everybody, this nice man could get thrown in jail!

quote:

The Displaced Family

Lee Chun went on lunch break from his job to take a look at the skyline of Kōshu; the sky was clear for once, and the smog didn't obscure his vision as it did ninety-nine percent of the time.

Looking at the skyline, he noticed it was clearly different from the last time he looked around. New skyscrapers and office buildings surrounded him, and bamboo scaffolding abounded. Under the rule of the Chief Executive, there was more talk of people - the same people who would fill the offices, Chun thought - striking it rich by working for Cheung Kong, Sony, or the government. New Zhujin corporations were being established, he had heard, usually with a working relationship with Sony or Cheung Kong, the two new giants of Guangdong.

Looking back down to the street, he saw masses of smartly-dressed people openly speaking Cantonese in a way they had not been able to since the 1930s. This pleased him; what rankled, however, was their incessant bragging about their recent business plans, and making fun of Chun himself for being dressed like a laborer (which, mind you, he was).

It stung, Chun thought. It was an educated man's game, a Sony-and-Cheung Kong man's game, and Lee Chun was neither; that shut him out of the corridors of privilege and power. But he had more money now than he had ever had beforehand, and he could not help but feel pride at the advancement of his fellow native Chinese and even the Zhujin. Perhaps, Chun supposed, even Hei or Wai could join the ranks of newly-empowered business people he saw.

With that thought in mind, he dug in.

The turn of the decade has everyone in a reflective mood, it seems.

One of the advantages of the Guangdong Future Fund is that it is purely an executive-level decision, and does not need to be approved by the Legislative Council. As such, Morita and company can turn the creation and maintenance of said fund over to the bureaucrats and get to work on the next thing on the agenda.

quote:

World News
PRESIDENT GAO DECLARES MODERNIZATION PROGRAM A SUCCESS

July 19, 1970
Nanjing, Republic of China

In 1962, Chinese President Gao Zongwu announced his intention to completely modernize the Chinese economy in the next ten years. Since then, his government has systematically transformed China into an engine and breadbasket of the modern era. Feeding billions in the Sphere and Asia while generating enough wealth to begin to rival Japan, China is now perhaps the only nation in the Co-Prosperity Sphere within striking distance of Japanese industrial and economic might.

However, China watchers note that not all is well in the Republic. The ancient nation is still plagued with corrupt institutions and the fading encroachment of Japanese megacorporations. Even with these obstacles, as Gao declared in a televised speech from Nanjing, “one great mountain has been climbed, and China is no longer the ‘sick man of Asia;’ the Century of Humiliation is over.”

The news from China is equally inspiring and concerning. On the one hand, China has effectively followed the example of Guangdong and, it could be argued, 19th-century Japan. On the other hand, China still considers the Three Pearls to be their rightful territory.

Further north and west, Western Russia has been unified by Mikhail Tukhachevsky. Once again communists and capitalists stare each other down, with all of Russia as the prize.

quote:

The Displaced Family

Lee Chun was going through the usual motions of work at his factory when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to find a man dressed in black formal wear - an agent of the State government - who despite obviously being a Japanese spoke flawless Cantonese. "Saejima Nobusuke, Guangdong Financial Office. Mr. Lee Chun, I presume?"

Lee Chun shook his head and said, "Whatever it is I'm accused of, Saejima, I'm innocent."

Saejima chuckled. "You're not accused of anything, Mr. Lee, we know your essentially spotless record." At this point the agent came in closer and lowered his voice. "I'm not after you, Mr. Lee, I'm here to inquire into your manager. I need some details I can verify about the man and his income."

At Chun's nod to go on, Saejima continued. "That very expensive Toyota Crown your manager drives in to work every day, is that his or the company's?"

Chun, catching Saejima's drift, smirked. "Oh no, Mr. Saejima, he brags about having bought the car himself. Says he 'made it' like it's something to be proud of."

Saejima nodded his thanks. "Thank you, Mr. Lee, that will be all."

The next day, Saejima and his agents came and dragged the manager off for questioning; the good-for-nothing man's cries of indignation could be heard from far away. Somewhat satisfied, Chun reached into his workbench for something and found instead a thick packet of cash, with a note from the Financial Office on it.

"The government thanks you."

Don’t be a dick and you won’t get ratted out; something a huge amount of management can’t comprehend.

Again we find ourselves in the position where the vote margin is close enough that a few individual bribes can put us over the top, rather than including institutional ones.

quote:

World News
TOKYO AND BERLIN DECLARE ‘EURASIAN DÉTENTE’

August 6, 1970
Tokyo, Japan

Surprising diplomatic news out of Tokyo and Germania today as a joint memorandum of understanding was released by the German and Japanese embassies.

Even during the Second World War, ties between the two wartime allies were already fraught, and after the atomic bombing of Pearl Harbor the nations of the Tripartite Pact officially ended their alliance. With the onset of the Cold War, Japan and Germany became rivals for influence and power all over the planet.

Now, it seems both nations are comfortable portraying that rivalry as a short and unpleasant episode. As statements from foreign capitals herald the thawing of relations as a crucial step to ensuring global peace, international experts note that Washington has been unusually quiet in their reaction to the news.

Well, this is convenient timing, as the 1970 product launch is getting underway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leni_Riefenstahl

The leaders of Guangdong toast another success, as half a world away decisions are made that will have lasting consequences.

quote:

World News
INDEPENDANCE FOR THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

September 10, 1970
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

As reforms sweep through the colonial holdings of the Italian Empire, they have brought with them a curious mixture of reaction and revolution. In some places, the scaling back of Italian administration has brought about the return of the old orders; in others, it has brought forth new governments wholly divorced from the pre-colonial ones. Nowhere is this strange contradiction more visible than in the Persian Gulf, where the Italian Governorate of the Gulf was granted independence as the United Arab Emirates.

As the Middle East finds itself gripped by a rising wave of popular unrest, Italy has opted at least in the Gulf to fully grant independence to the former colony. The local emirates have since united into a federation led by the ruler of Abu Dhabi, Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. A longtime ally of Italy, Zayed is a known reformist and centralizer, promising to continue developing the economy and industry of the young nation and allowing fledgling democratic reforms, while maintaining close ties to Italy and the rest of the Rome Pact.

Italy, taking note of increasing instability and unrest in their colonial holdings, starts to scale back their investments at the edges of their empire. A deeply unpopular brush war in the mid-60’s on the Horn of Africa cost the government too much blood and treasure, so the decision is made that similar issues in the future must be handled by the local governments, both in their direct colonial holdings and allied Middle Eastern regimes.

The smooth transition of the UAE to independence is unfortunately soon shown to be the exception that proves the rule.

quote:

World News
CIVIL WAR ERUPTS IN YEMEN

October 10, 1970
Taiz, Yemen

Following a long period of strife, rebel forces in Yemen loyal to General Abdullah al-Sallal have declared the Yemeni Democratic Arab Republic and taken up arms against the monarchy of King Muhammad al-Badr.

Italy and the Saudi government have declared their support for the King al-Badr, who has welcomed their support while at the same time attempting to portray himself on the international stage as a reformer. General al-Sallal, on the other hand, has support from large portions of the military, himself a prior commander of al-Badr’s royal guard.

Discontent with the monarchy, al-Badr has stated that his intention is to create a republican and socialist Yemen, with support from numerous pan-Arab groups, including Baathists and communists. Japan has likewise stated their support for “any anti-colonialist movement.”

Yemen is the first to go, shortly followed by their neighbor.

quote:

World News
INSURRECTIONS IN OMAN

November 1, 1970
Muscat, Oman

As a wave of instability continues to sweep the Middle East, Oman has become the next nation to fall into civil war. While reliable information is difficult to come by, it seems that the chaos began when Sultain Said’s son Qaboos bin Said attempted a palace coup against his father with the help of the local Italian garrison.

Shortly after the capital was engulfed in chaos, religious traditionalists and tribal elements were rallied by Iman Ghalib al-Hinai in the inhospitable Hajar Mountains. Reportedly, al-Hinai has the support of elements of the Saudi government.

To add to all this, another insurrection is reported in the western deserts of Dhofar, where a large coalition of pan-Arab, communist, and Baathist groups have united under partisan leader Layla Fakhro, hoping to turn Oman into a stronghold of pan-Arabism. As the three sides seem evenly matched, Middle East experts are hard pressed to predict what the future holds for the Sultanate.

Next is Egypt.

quote:

World News
ORDER COLLAPSES IN EGYPT

November 7, 1970
Cairo, Egypt

Likely encouraged by developments in Yemen and Oman, the leader of the so-called Free Officers Movement in Egypt, Gamal Abdel Nasser, has seized a large portion of the nation following an abortive coup against the monarchy.

Additionally, forces loyal to the Muslim Brotherhood, a group of Islamic militants led by Sayyid Qutb, have themselves attempted and failed to seize government complexes in Cairo and are reportedly now fighting against both the monarchy and Nassarists.

The Muslim Brotherhood is heavily suspected to be funded and armed by Saudi Arabia, despite Riyadh’s official denial. This presents a greater issue within the conflict, as it means further increased tensions between Italy and Saudi Arabia.

And shortly thereafter, Sudan and Iraq.

The oil fields are ablaze, and the Bab-el-Mandeb and Strait of Hormuz are shooting galleries.

quote:

World News
MIDDLE EAST WARS DECIMATE OIL TRADE

November 15, 1970
Rome, Italian Empire

Following the outbreak of several conflicts in the Middle East and the death of Chairman Enrico Mattei, the stocks of Eni, Italy’s most prominent oil company, have fallen immensely in trading this week. Due to Italy’s outsized role in the oil trade, panic has begun to spread across global markets with the price of oil tripling in the last four days.

With the collapse of several regional governments and the need for oil already immense around the world, the eyes of the international community are now fixed on the region, looking to support whichever factions, nations, or leaders that will allow for economic footholds. It seems that a new battleground has erupted on the world stage, one which will undoubtedly change the face of the Middle East forever.