Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
signed my offer for newjob wednesday and submitted my resignation yesterday. :yotj:

bout a 50% cut in TC because I’m leaving a shitload of RSUs on the table, but a decent base pay bump and getting back into startup land which is what I wanted. working at a big public company was killing me, literally (I developed hypertension this year from all the bullshit going on there) so getting out of it is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rotor posted:

yeah i mean i get it, just sayin its very weird to me that academia doesnt self-publish. Get with the program. eggheads.

definitely, especially since no one in the whole chain of publishing papers actually gets paid except for the journal

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You may not get paid on a per-paper basis but if you stop publishing you will discover the limits of tenure pretty quickly.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

kitten emergency posted:

signed my offer for newjob wednesday and submitted my resignation yesterday. :yotj:

bout a 50% cut in TC because I’m leaving a shitload of RSUs on the table, but a decent base pay bump and getting back into startup land which is what I wanted. working at a big public company was killing me, literally (I developed hypertension this year from all the bullshit going on there) so getting out of it is worth it.

One of my former coworkers was recently telling me that I should never, ever let my work impact my health and I think it has to do with her recent diabetes diagnosis :(

Congrats on the step forward in any case!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in academia it's not JUST publishing. _just_ publishing is a stand-in for people actually paying attention to what you write. the assumption is that if you are publishing in good journals, people will actually read them. self-publishing, pay-to-publish, etc type stuff basically doesn't count because those journals are full of trash and aren't really worth reading.

it's a very very broken system but "have no editorial oversight" ain't the solution. at least in the humanities. i kind of expect that the grant-funding-review process could stand in for this in a lot of cases in the sciences since people would still read and respond to the output of the prestigious 2023 Poodle Grant or whatever. but the lack of external funding sources in the humanities (among other things) means that the self-published world is an absolute cesspit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

it's a very very broken system but "have no editorial oversight" ain't the solution. at least in the humanities. i kind of expect that the grant-funding-review process could stand in for this in a lot of cases in the sciences since people would still read and respond to the output of the prestigious 2023 Poodle Grant or whatever. but the lack of external funding sources in the humanities (among other things) means that the self-published world is an absolute cesspit

my field of chemometrics (well used to be my field but that's neither here nor there) gets published in all sorts of Elsevier journals and it's a cointoss if articles that are just through and through terrible gets through. Basically imagine someone waving their hands and going "AI" could just publish whatever the gently caress they wanted as long as the word spectroscopy was tacked on at the end.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

wash bucket posted:

Gonna have to disagree with this one. I mean, I'm sure there are some decent places to work but for a lot of them "efficiency" means having the bare minimum of staff and resources.

yeah, on second thought I’m walking manufacturing back

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

champagne posting posted:

everyone should just post to free journals like arxiv instead of the terrible money machines that are Nature et al.
the problem is that for better or worse, hiring and tenure committees have a mental whitelist of Conferences Worth A drat and if you publish elsewhere, in the best case it doesn't help you and in the worst case someone goes "oh, god, they couldn't do better than the IEEE Western Australian Workshop On Mobile Cloud Networking? Strong no-hire"

so "anything goes" places like arxiv end up in the lower end of this thought process

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

personally i think that at least in theoretical cs good international conferences are a better vehicle than journals. bakes in a willingness to communicate with people, and as the program committee is to a great extent trying to make an interesting program (many of them often being attendants as well) it filters better for the common incredibly irrelevant esoterica.

the theory is that the "pure" journal stuff is further refined, but i really don't think that is how it works out in practice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe it works on the theory side, but the conference system has been an absolute disaster for anything with a strong empirical component. You could maybe patch that a bit with stronger training in how to do empirical work, but really the whole system is a relic of the pre-internet days and we could safely bury the whole thing.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Maybe it works on the theory side, but the conference system has been an absolute disaster for anything with a strong empirical component.
At least in CS this isn't true, computer systems and applied PL (my research areas) are entirely conference based, have a strong empirical component, and present novel and thorough work more often than not :confused:

e: maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but it isn't clear how a journal submission is fundamentally better than an conference submission except that there are more words in the former

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 30, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Going into depth on this is probably a bit much for the interviewing thread, but here's the very short version:

About ten years ago for various reasons a group of psychologists became interested in replicating some of the experiments that had been published in their journals. The aftermath of that is described very nicely in Stuart Ritchie's Science Fictions: How Fraud, Bias, Negligence, and Hype Undermine the Search for Truth but the tl;dr is that in the last decade a lot of people who thought their fields were on solid evidential ground have found out that it isn't so. Some of it's because people aren't always great about publishing with someone who really knows how to do rigorous empirical work, but a lot of it comes from the incentive systems created by the tenure/promotion and grant systems.

In computer science, those problems are exacerbated by two factors. First, it seems to be very unusual for researchers to receive formal training in empirical methods to the degree that you'd find even in a psychology program. Second, the bad incentives that exist elsewhere are mixed in with a bunch of deadlines meaning that there's less time to get things right. Now that doesn't prevent good work from being done, but it does make it harder. I'm most familiar with machine learning and I can tell you the floor is set pretty low there.

Of course none of this constitutes proof that these things are being done poorly in other subfields, but given the issues I've described above I'm going to claim that the burden of proof is on researchers in a field to prove that they're doing things well. If that has been done in any other parts of CS I'd definitely be interested in seeing it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ML reproducibility gets pretty bad for like, a formal science but its not quite psychology-of-2005 bad. lots of CS is still true formal science, just not ML

"how am i gonna repro this proof that IP=PSPACE"

"read it and if you find counterexamples you failed to repro, namaste"

so it does tend to work in formal-land

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 31, 2023

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Time for my yearly interview run. LinkedIn Jobs is still the one to hit?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Time for my yearly interview run. LinkedIn Jobs is still the one to hit?

Yes

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

:tipshat:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

About ten years ago for various reasons a group of psychologists became interested in replicating some of the experiments that had been published in their journals. The aftermath of that is described very nicely in Stuart Ritchie's Science Fictions: How Fraud, Bias, Negligence, and Hype Undermine the Search for Truth
this one looks interesting, I see the library has a copy so I'll put it in my queue!

(Also, apologies, I think I confused the previous poster bringing up journals and your post, and I conflated the two, thinking you were advocating specfiically for journal publications but not conference ones. Sorry!)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dijkstracula posted:

this one looks interesting, I see the library has a copy so I'll put it in my queue!

(Also, apologies, I think I confused the previous poster bringing up journals and your post, and I conflated the two, thinking you were advocating specfiically for journal publications but not conference ones. Sorry!)

In my perfect world computer science would switch to a journal system for the reasons I laid out, but I recognize that there are other improvements that are more likely to happen in the short term.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
got my last rejection I gave a poo poo about from the start up. i'm officially on sabbatical and I'll get a full 2 months in Japan. Was worried I'd have to cut it short to go back to work.

i've been cramming basic japanese since last week and now can read hiragana and 12 kanji

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cheese eats mouse posted:

got my last rejection I gave a poo poo about from the start up. i'm officially on sabbatical and I'll get a full 2 months in Japan. Was worried I'd have to cut it short to go back to work.

i've been cramming basic japanese since last week and now can read hiragana and 12 kanji

be sure to get a pinku bento box

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Captain Foo posted:

be sure to get a pinku bento box

i had to google this cause i assumed forums lore and lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
upon review i would like to qualify my previous statement about liking academia with the very important caveat that i had no aspirations of professorship or tenure so i did not give a single poo poo about publishing. if i helped someone with something enough to get my name on their paper, neat, but i didn't really care either way.

champagne posting posted:

everyone should just post to free journals like arxiv instead of the terrible money machines that are Nature et al. Quality of papers clearly don't matter to them (at least not for my field which is extremely hit or miss) so why not just post papers wherever

in my (former) field arxiv was specifically where you dumped garbage that none of your peers thought was any good. i know that not all fields are like that though.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

In my perfect world computer science would switch to a journal system for the reasons I laid out, but I recognize that there are other improvements that are more likely to happen in the short term.

yeah I guess I'm back to not seeing how journals help if the problem is "too many people are trying to submit low-value junk to neurips" because those people will just staple together three low-value conference papers and call it a journal paper, but I'm happy to concede the point if the ML community promises to never put me on the program committee

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pure malthusian population pressure. jonathan swift knew what to do

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

grats im considering doing this myself

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

がんばって!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

AnoHito posted:

がんばって!

はじめまして!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

i only ever learned one kanji

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
more like kan'tji

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

cjs: just had an interview with a company. 20% raise, probably a lot more work, and the reporting manager seems a little unhinged. it's stuff ive got a lot of familiarity with and it sounds like there could be some actual success instead of here where ive got zero upward mobility. only hiccup is he asked if i worked with [previous manager who fired me] so we'll see how that shakes out

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
congratudolensces

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

more like kan'tji

Immanuel kantji

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i got sent a hackerrank for an fpga engineering internship. very curious what thats going to look like; i thought these positions would be less competitive than software positions. and it's definitely way harder to practice "problem solving" with an hdl since to my knowledge there's no leetcode equivalent

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

They probably just make every _____ Engineer position do the hacker rank despite whatever the job listing/qualifications actually say. Touching a computer? Hacker rank!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lord fifth posted:

i got sent a hackerrank for an fpga engineering internship. very curious what thats going to look like; i thought these positions would be less competitive than software positions. and it's definitely way harder to practice "problem solving" with an hdl since to my knowledge there's no leetcode equivalent

i think they still let you register and use some commercial simulators for free, and have some tutorials, i did a take home interview for cirrus logic on this site.

https://www.edaplayground.com

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i think they still let you register and use some commercial simulators for free, and have some tutorials, i did a take home interview for cirrus logic on this site.

https://www.edaplayground.com

oh this is neat. usually i just rawdog vhdl using iverilog and vscode

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

oh this is neat. usually i just rawdog verilog using iverilog and vscode

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i have performed shameful posting errors

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
shame quad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

this eastern european man just got very angry when i asked if they had any plans to update their process to use a modern architecture within their ios app because they use mvc.