Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I'm getting close to wrapping up Trails to Azure and turning my sights to Reverie. Have the console version issues been ironed out? If it's still kind of wonky I may just wait a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Link issue is fixed, the typos are still there but are ignorable.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

lol

Tesseraction posted:

The Link issue is fixed, the typos are still there but are ignorable.
Switch owners stay losing :sadwave:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
How is the fan translation for Kuro? Nearing the end of Reverie and still feeling a strong craving for trails.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm enjoying this playthrough of CS4 on Hard with mira/sepith carried over + bond points from a save file I downloaded.

The really bad parts of CS4 stand out in hindsight, but (like most trails games) it's still strong "on the margins."

I still fundamentally just don't really like boss fights in CS3/CS4/Reverie, at least against "large monster"-class enemies. There's just something very unrewarding about them - you never really feel "strong" (the closest thing is setting a character up to evade all attacks, or casting the powerful late-game magic) and it always feels like I'm just tediously trimming down their break bar and then trying to maximize my attacks while they're broken.

In a way it's sorta like FF16 - you get to style on the small/weak enemies, but then you just have to came a bunch of abilities into stagger windows for bosses.

Cyouni posted:

Capel, SC (and technically FC, but I don't have a save there):

I'm pretty sure this is also explicitly covered in the original talk you get about orbments from Melders.

I know it says it; I'm just saying that it's an element to the "lore" that isn't really well-developed or consistently presented (I don't think there's any scenes where someone like "that person is abnormally fast/strong/durable, they must be using an orbment"). And even in the part you quoted it's kept very vague as to exactly how it "improves a wearer's abilities" and is immediately followed by just saying "it lets them cast magic." Basically you could completely remove the references to "improving a person's abilities" and everything would still make perfect sense.

I think there's a good chance they just added that stuff as an explanation for the quartz also giving stats in addition to Arts. The whole reason this topic even came up was in the context of someone suggesting that no one gets hurt during the big battle scenes because they're superhumans due to their orbments, while I don't think there's ever been much indication that orbments make you abnormally resistant to damage (and even if they were it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense since the enemies also have orbments).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a way to get the Vita Evo UI benefits for Trails in the Sky on PC? I want to replay the arc and would like the benefits of the update.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ohtsam posted:

How is the fan translation for Kuro? Nearing the end of Reverie and still feeling a strong craving for trails.

Also interested in the answer to this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Also interested in the answer to this.

It's fine. I played it before it was finished so some minor things weren't fully translated, so I don't know how the complete patch is. It works just fine in the NISA PC version too apparently.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Ytlaya posted:

I know it says it; I'm just saying that it's an element to the "lore" that isn't really well-developed or consistently presented (I don't think there's any scenes where someone like "that person is abnormally fast/strong/durable, they must be using an orbment").

Having someone say this would be absolutely inane in any situation. Like, why would anyone ever say this? It'd be like saying "I can't believe they run so fast, they must be wearing shoes!"

That said, there actually is an example of something like this, from SC - it's suggested that part of Loewe's ability to be that much more powerful than you is due to his second-model orbment compared to your first-model. Or we can look at combat links, where characters using it have always been described as moving with inhuman levels of coordination. I think there's even an example of different physical abilities provided when it comes to different models when ARCUS is mentioned during the Divertissement or when talking about Hercules agents and their RAMDAs.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Finally finished Azure and started Reverie. I still stick by the idea that you really can get by playing CS 1-4 without the Crossbell games and be fine for 99% of it, but Reverie really does reward you for being intimately familiar with all the Crossbell NPCs and storylines from those games from the get go, so it makes sense they had to release those officially in the US before Reverie.

Azure was really good and I had a lot of fun playing it, but it was really dragging by the finale when I was ready to just move on and it kept going and going. I ended up with something crazy like 140 hours on that playthrough, because all the best bits were talking to NPCs everywhere. I would have a hard time trying to rank each of the teams or story arcs at thise point, because they were all fun in different ways.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
On chapter 6 of CS1 and son of a gun they made me care about Emma by making her some kind of wizard? Genuinely curious what's going on with her now.

In general what I expect by now from this series happened: they took all these archetypal characters and made me invested in them to at least some degree. drat this series is good at making me care about its characters.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I came to the conclusion after the Erebonia arc that, the less I cared about someone as a character before, the more interested I am in them showing up in the future.

Kale
May 14, 2010

unimportantguy posted:

On chapter 6 of CS1 and son of a gun they made me care about Emma by making her some kind of wizard? Genuinely curious what's going on with her now.

In general what I expect by now from this series happened: they took all these archetypal characters and made me invested in them to at least some degree. drat this series is good at making me care about its characters.

Yeah they really really flesh out the characters in this one by being a rare example of a long running RPG series having an ongoing plotline that runs into other ones. No need to force the pacing of a given characters arc cause they have basically unlimited time. When they need to do something they show up and do something, when they don't need to do something they can be absent for several games and then appear again when they need too. Also lots of call backs to thing that sometimes happened years ago in another game suddenly coming up again when it's relevant. Same situation with the Y's series kind of albeit to a lesser degree since it's a bit more focused on action gameplay and the games are released out of order with the chronology of Adol's life, which is sort of told in a narrative where his adventures are kind of over and he's recounting them, but you're also re-enacting them as the games themselves.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Finished Reverie's main plot. I spent basically the entire game thinking that there was no real reason for it to exist; the plot wasn't that interesting and the gameplay was the same as ever, especially since the actual dungeon crawling in the Reverie Corridor is such a small percentage of the time you're actually there. The Daydreams were all pretty pointless and the minigames were okay, I guess. I liked some of C's stuff and his scenes toward the end of the studio were a highlight, but if I liked the series less then I'd have considered the game an outright waste of time.

The final chapter was at about that same level right up until the final boss segment. Then the ending actually stuck the landing. Things with the other Rean and Rufus during the ending sequence finally brought the other two sides into the whole "trust people to help instead of taking everything on your own shoulders" theme that kept popping up on Lloyd's side, and the story didn't get too bogged down in the mechanics of how anything worked. Them dropping the entire set of robot fight tutorials during the final boss sequence was unintentionally comical and the Knights returning to help was obviously going to happen, but it was fun anyway. Rean finally finishing his character arc and resolving to find happiness was a great moment, and Rufus's plan lead to great moments for his team, Lloyd, AND Olivert. And the credits were a "where are they now" scrapbook sequence, and I am a total sucker for a good scrapbook sequence.

All in all, still one of the weaker Trails games and the weakest Erebonia game, but I'm fairly satisfied with it now. Hell of a save, Falcom. Good job.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

smh at disliking the daydreams

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I bet you think Sky 3rd is the worst Sky game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

An extremely cruel thing to say about someone.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Sky 3 is the worst Sky game because it has the least Estelle screentime. This still makes it a very good game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't know if I'd say that I think the *game* doesn't need to exist but I'm at late Act 3 and I think *Lloyd's* route probably didn't need to exist and broadly the Reverie Corridor sucks and really disrupts the pacing when you get dragged there. I kind of wish they went with either the original story and made the all the Corridor stuff postgame or went all in on the fanservice stuff and just went wild with it and made the Corridor the entire game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Do think its not as tight at TC because instead of making the entire plot an excuse to allow for, doors, big parties and character exploration they have the barest structure and elements of a more traditional rpg plot,that is still mostly just there as an excuse to allow for doors, big parties, and character exploration.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I feel like the difference between Third and Reverie is that the whole Reverie Corridor seems more about having an excuse for a shared inventory and always-accessible shops. In terms of structure, Reverie's way more like a standard game than Third. And I feel like compared to Third, the Daydreams just didn't tell me anything new. Like, I liked the one with Rixia, Nadia and Swin, because that served as a pretty good intro to Nadia and Swin as more than just book cahracters. The one with Olivert and Schera was also good. The rest were pretty nothing.

I'd have all been for a Reverie: No Reverie Edition that was just the standard plot, and I'd have been all for a Reverie: All Reverie Edition that was just the Corridor and more focus on the Daydreams. The fact that the main story had its own kinds of "let's show these characters interacting now!" moments means that there just wasn't enough for the Daydreams to do.

Maybe the postgame ones will change my mind. Here's hoping.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Kurt crossdressing daydream is good

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Kevin was a way more interesting lead then Estelle and TC was the best Sky game.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm in the "gently caress about before the final dungeon" phase of Reverie. How many teams worth of characters do I need to have leveled/geared for the final battle, and is anyone mandatory besides presumably Lloyd and maybe Rean/C/Lapis?

Also, god drat if Falcom aren't the all time heavyweight champions of punch pulling. It can't have been more than a couple minutes between when that Erebonian base got nuked and when Aurelia shows up to say "actually everybody was out for lunch at the time so nobody was even injured". And a few minutes later Agate chimes in to say, "the stakes have never been higher", which I suppose is technically true because 0 is not greater than 0.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 29, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Is there a way to get the Vita Evo UI benefits for Trails in the Sky on PC? I want to replay the arc and would like the benefits of the update.

Nope Evo or bust.
Like I said a few days ago though, Vita 3K works for the series now unless its further into the game crash.

DuckHuntDog posted:

Finally finished Azure and started Reverie. I still stick by the idea that you really can get by playing CS 1-4 without the Crossbell games and be fine for 99% of it, but Reverie really does reward you for being intimately familiar with all the Crossbell NPCs and storylines from those games from the get go, so it makes sense they had to release those officially in the US before Reverie.

Azure was really good and I had a lot of fun playing it, but it was really dragging by the finale when I was ready to just move on and it kept going and going. I ended up with something crazy like 140 hours on that playthrough, because all the best bits were talking to NPCs everywhere. I would have a hard time trying to rank each of the teams or story arcs at thise point, because they were all fun in different ways.

Yeah, the overall quality in trails has been consistent from start to finish, the arcs are all just a bit different which adds flavor and makes you love them all more.

I just finished the first Reverie segment cuz I was waiting for the link bug to get fixed and I have no free time that coincides with access to my PS5, and I spent like 10 hours there having the time of my life. This is everything I've ever wanted, again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(Reverie) I am just about ready to head to the final dungeon. All books, recipes, fish obtained. All available monsters scanned.

I have unlocked everything in the corridor except for the additional support slot in the corridor. I got the shard accessories for Gaius, Rean, and Alisa (who with her current setup, should be a functionally immortal murder machine).

I gave Rean one of the Black Zemurian Ore weapons, but I'm undecided about who should get the other one.

Vantage Masters

Apparently my final opponent in Vantage Masters is C. I think that means I'm supposed to have most of the other cards before fighting them.

I don't think I'm supposed to have all the Master cards yet - I have 9/14. (Bard, Knight, Witch, Shadow, Beast, High Ranger, Sorcerer, Holy Sister, Crown Thief)
I have 5/6 Heaven cards (Pelitt, Guene-Foss,Kyria-Bell, Fifenall, Amoltamis). Am I missing any, and who provides it upon a win?

EDIT: I beat them using a variation of my Knight + Ranged strategy, with the Knight supposed to be drawing fire and boosting the ranged characters in the back. It was a little messy and didn't go according to plan, but I got a clutch pull of a Disaster card, which with my back row Blyx ranger, had just enough firepower to snipe their Master to win.

About the thing midway through the Finale Chapter which I complained about earlier: I visited Prof. Schmidt and also saw the Daydream "One Lucky Stone, One Unlucky Ship," which were apparently supposed to satisfy my complaints. They absolutely did not, but I'll leave it at that, unless someone wants to continue.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 29, 2023

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

About the thing midway through the Finale Chapter which I complained about earlier: I visited Prof. Schmidt and also saw the Daydream "One Lucky Stone, One Unlucky Ship," which were apparently supposed to satisfy my complaints. They absolutely did not, but I'll leave it at that, unless someone wants to continue.

I just saw that Daydream and it also didn't make me any less annoyed by the thing you complained about, but it's definitely my favorite Daydream so far. It ties so many things together and features some of my favorite side characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

(Reverie) I am just about ready to head to the final dungeon. All books, recipes, fish obtained. All available monsters scanned.

I have unlocked everything in the corridor except for the additional support slot in the corridor. I got the shard accessories for Gaius, Rean, and Alisa (who with her current setup, should be a functionally immortal murder machine).

I gave Rean one of the Black Zemurian Ore weapons, but I'm undecided about who should get the other one.

Vantage Masters

Apparently my final opponent in Vantage Masters is C. I think that means I'm supposed to have most of the other cards before fighting them.

I don't think I'm supposed to have all the Master cards yet - I have 9/14. (Bard, Knight, Witch, Shadow, Beast, High Ranger, Sorcerer, Holy Sister, Crown Thief)
I have 5/6 Heaven cards (Pelitt, Guene-Foss,Kyria-Bell, Fifenall, Amoltamis). Am I missing any, and who provides it upon a win?

I would not stress about the Ore weapons. The post-game throws ore at you like it's going out of style to the point you can upgrade the upgraded weapons twice.

You also can't get every VM card before you fight C, more get unlocked in the post game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cyouni posted:

Having someone say this would be absolutely inane in any situation. Like, why would anyone ever say this? It'd be like saying "I can't believe they run so fast, they must be wearing shoes!"

That said, there actually is an example of something like this, from SC - it's suggested that part of Loewe's ability to be that much more powerful than you is due to his second-model orbment compared to your first-model. Or we can look at combat links, where characters using it have always been described as moving with inhuman levels of coordination. I think there's even an example of different physical abilities provided when it comes to different models when ARCUS is mentioned during the Divertissement or when talking about Hercules agents and their RAMDAs.

The combat links I agree with (though there was a very clear point made about that being an important new thing, we're shown and told about it on multiple occasions, and it's also apparently visible since character comment on enemies activating it). But all orbments do not modify peoples' abilities in the same way, so it definitely seems like that would still have very good reason to come up. You have people who are "specced" for different types of quartz slots, etc (since the orbments are crafted for each individual). So it seems like that would actually be a pretty important thing to recognize (or try to figure out) in enemies. You also wouldn't know if someone is using an orbment unless they're actually casting Arts, so it would be obvious if someone is "enhanced by an orbment" (unless the effect is just very subtle, which is the conclusion I've basically arrived at). The Hercules agents just had an orbment that lets them stealth as an extra technology, in the same way as the ARCUS ones can link or let you do video calls. And then you also have things like enhanced Jaegers, which actually are explicitly enhanced to be significantly stronger/faster, with people directly reacting to this increased physical strength.

I looked up the part of Divertissement you mention because I didn't remember it at all, and it's just Lloyd/Rixia saying "our old orbments let us use more Arts, but the new ones are more useful for combat" (which is implied to be referring specifically to the linking ability since Lloyd immediately refers to it afterwards - and the ARCUS linking ability actually *is* repeatedly talked about and shown in the games, and allies comment on it when enemies use it).

I think the most reasonable thing to conclude here is that orbments have some impact on the physical abilities of their users through the resonance phenomenon (though this is primarily to let users channel Orbal Arts), but that it isn't particularly major and can be eclipsed by normal humans through training (to the extent where you can't even tell if someone is using an orbment unless they start casting Arts or use something like the ARCUS link or RAMDA stealth). At the very least, I'm pretty sure they don't have an effect that could be described as "making people superhuman" in any meaningful sense, given regular humans can achieve greater strength (which is how this initially came up).

(I'm actually more open to being wrong about this than it probably sounds from my tone; it's been a long time since I've played the older games. I'm just arguing about a video game and don't think anyone is dumb for disagreeing.)

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

At the end of the day, it's also just soooooo much cooler if orbments pump orbal energy through your body like mana. So some of us hyper focus on the lore that supports this, even though actually portraying it is one of the things the series struggles with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is it? I'm perfectly fine with the games just being a wuxia series.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Pretty sure Emma’s daydream added new stuff. And Olivert’s while not necessarily new did give some nice call backs to previous plots and character arcs.

Some of the best daydreams are definitely post-game though. Especially Ash’s.

Also some daydreams made me like CS4 more.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am thinking of getting back into Zero; Left off after the shortly after the part where Estelle and Joshua enter the story. I am a little wary since I never did complete Sky 2 though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I am thinking of getting back into Zero; Left off after the shortly after the part where Estelle and Joshua enter the story. I am a little wary since I never did complete Sky 2 though.
its not mandatory but that stuff does land better if you clear sky 2/sky 3. if you don't wanna bother you could read the LPs on lparchive

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah that was me, I more meant that if you return to the Geofront to where you fought a boss before the signing ceremony in chapter 1 and Lloyd "saw something" then he will realise something before your next plot reveal. I did say it probably wouldn't satisfy you, though! Just that it was attempted to be explained by the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(Reverie Finale Chapter)

Tesseraction posted:

Ah that was me, I more meant that if you return to the Geofront to where you fought a boss before the signing ceremony in chapter 1 and Lloyd "saw something" then he will realise something before your next plot reveal. I did say it probably wouldn't satisfy you, though! Just that it was attempted to be explained by the game.

Yes, given that, and the scene at the jail and the scene at MWL, the conclusion I suspect Lloyd's reached is along the line of "it seems like if something is possible in an alternate reality, Elysium can make it appear here." In other words it's literally a machine for creating deus ex machina's.

As an aside, I've largely finished the process of turning Alisa into an absolute unstoppable monster, for science. Her accessories are the Solomon Garb (HP +16,000, EP +400, STR/ATS +400, SPD + 20, Prevents Ailments/Stat Down) and Heavenly Sphere (ATS/ADF +150, SPD +15, CP Gained +50%, Auto-CP Up (+5/turn) (Alisa Only)).

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

RevolverDivider posted:

Kevin was a way more interesting lead then Estelle and TC was the best Sky game.

Considering how I sort of saw Kevin as being annoying in SC them making him into one of my favorite characters in 3rd makes it top tier.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

its not mandatory but that stuff does land better if you clear sky 2/sky 3. if you don't wanna bother you could read the LPs on lparchive

I am also tempted about playing it on steam deck so I could play it on my couch (Apparently Sky 2 is not compatible out of the box for Deck, though I do see workarounds on proton db, but I could remote play on it), but yeah, if all else fails I will just go through the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I am also tempted about playing it on steam deck so I could play it on my couch (Apparently Sky 2 is not compatible out of the box for Deck, though I do see workarounds on proton db, but I could remote play on it), but yeah, if all else fails I will just go through the LP.

I thought the only issue with the Sky games was the videos maybe not loading? I have loaded them up just to see how they run and didn’t have any real issues with them.