Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

feedmegin posted:

I assume this is a Toreador source book :shobon:

It's actually a Wraith book about the Holocaust.

And, shockingly, it's actually good and handles the subject matter respectfully, to the surprise of everyone who's heard about it.

e: Yes, I completely missed that typo and joke. :eng99:

Tulul fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tulul posted:

It's actually a Wraith book about the Holocaust.

And, shockingly, it's actually good and handles the subject matter respectfully, to the surprise of everyone who's heard about it.

I think feedmegin is joking about the typo of Chanel for Charnel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Arden Offensive

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I assume this is a Toreador source book :shobon:

:v: that's what I get for mobile posting lol. Although a "Chanel Houses of Europe" would be extremely funny

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Joylessdivisions World of Dorkness Presents
:smugwizard: The Book of Chantries - Haighters Gonna Hate Volume 4 :smugwizard:

Part 1

Welcome to another journey through the World of Dorkness. Today we’re continuing our quest to capture the first of the Skin-Dancer tribe, the one and only Samuel Haight. When we last left Sam, he had just slain the Dreamspeaker El Dorado in Rage Across the Amazon, a Werewolf supplement. We’ve still got three books (including this one) before we complete Sam’s adventure, and because Sam was intended as the big crossover villain, his final appearances are in two Mage books and a second Masquerade book.

I’ll be honest, I don’t have the highest hopes for these final stories, considering Sam was an afterthought in the previous Vampire book he appeared in. He does have a bit more of a substantial story in this book, but there are some…interesting quirks to how he’s presented here, but we’ll get there when we get there.

*Reviewers Note: In an attempt to be more culturally sensitive in my reviews, I will no longer be using the Werewolf tribe name that begins with a W, instead when this tribe name arises, I will be replacing it with W-----.

*For Clarification: CoE = Cult of Ecstasy, SoE = Sons of Ether, OoH = Order of Hermes, AB = Akashic Brotherhood, VE =Void Engineers, VA = Virtual Adepts

Let’s begin, as we always do, with the cover.

I’ve said in the past that I like the general look of most of the Ascension books I’ve covered, the plain purple cloth as the main background Image is nice and very lowkey, though the static like borders that are used in these books doesn’t do much for me. I think the borders designed for the other games look much better. The cover painting here is fine, and I like the raised, golden text for the title.

Let’s take a look at the back cover.

The Book of Chantries

quote:

Darkness Lives in Lands Beyond

Beneath the Seas of Ash, through the Lost City X, in the twisting corridors of Doissetep, or the steaming jungles of Moreauvia, Mages ply their trade. In custom-built Horizon Realms, these wizards build Chantries, strongholds of their might and monuments to their vanity.

Bearers of the Light Beware!

Intrigue and betrayal, madness and hubris greet visitors to these hidden lands. The Path to Ascension takes many forms, and the temptation to stray from one’s chosen Path is strong. A Mage is never truly safe, even within the walls of her own Chantry.

The Book of Chantries is a sourcebook for Mage: The Ascension, detailing the Mages’ places of power.

Ten complete strongholds; Tradition Chantries, Technocracy Constructs and Nephandi Labyrinths, including over 40 NPCs.

A ready-to-run scenario starring Samuel Haight, the werewolf skinner

Complete rules for creating your own Chantry

The sticker price for this book is $18, or $38 in 2023.

Book of Chantries

By Steven C. Brown, Phil Brucato and Robert Hatch

With additional material by James A. Moore and Kathleen Ryan

Credits

• Written by: Steven C. Brown, Phil Brucato and Robert Hatch

• Additional Material: “Harvest Time” by James A. Moore, “Beyond the Tapestry” by Kathleen Ryan

• Developed by: Phil Brucato

• Edited by: Robert Hatch

• Art Director: Richard Thomas

• Layout and Typesetting: Sam Chupp

• Art: Joshua Gabriel Timbrook, Larry MacDougall, Quenton Hoover, Drew Tucker, Lawrence Allen Williams, Craig Gelmore, Elliot, Andrew Robinson, Jeff Menges

• Front Cover: Scott Hampton

• Front & Back Cover Design: Michelle Prahler

Special Thanks
  • Brian “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” Campbel, for making the mushrooms sing

• Rob “Smoldering Angst” Hatch, for being Harlan Ellison’s long-lost love child

• Mark “Singin’ in the Rain” Rein●Hagen, for his Gene Kelly impression

• Steve “Stream-of-Consciousness” Brown and Phil “Gordian Knot” Brucato, for their mutual admiration society

• Ken “Out, Out, drat’d Printer” Cliffe, for teaching the spider to fetch

• Stewart “Elric with a Buzz Cut” Wieck, for being around whenever Phil was cursing at the machines

• Bill “Glass Walker” Bridges, for teaching Phil how not to curse at the machines

• Andrew “Bibliomancer” Greenberg, for that handy reference library

• Shadow “Bad Office Humor” Leid, for her amazing flying pumpkin truck.

Word from the White Wolf Game Studio

quote:

“First of all, the good news; Mage is a hit. The overall reception has been enthusiastic, and we’re really pleased to say the least, that the game has gone over as well as it has. We thank you all for your continued support.

Now the bad news; we goofed a bit on that first printing. Despite our best efforts, a few mistakes were made, and we are heartily ashamed.

As we wipe the egg from our faces, allow us to direct you to the Mage errata in the back of this book and the tables in the Mage Storytellers Screen. Again, we apologize to our fans, and we will avoid such mistakes in the future.”

First, I think it’s cool to see Kathleen Ryan’s name listed in this book. After popping up in Rage Across the Amazon as an intern, it’s pretty neat to see an intern get promoted to credited author in one of these books. Especially so quickly as Rage was released in August of 1993, and this book came out in December of that same year (according to the dates listed in the White Wolf fan wiki). Second, nice to see the team directing players on where to find the corrections for missing errata from the Mage corebook. I’m fairly certain that the version I read and reviewed was the updated version, considering I bought my copy as a PoD from DrivethruRGP, but we’ll chalk up my not checking to me just being a lazy bastard who doesn’t want to touch that corebook again until it’s time to review the 2nd edition version.

I’m also incredibly amused by Brucato getting dunked on in the Special Thanks section in three different entries. I’ve made a few jokes at his expense in previous reviews, but as I’ve said, of the stuff that I’ve read to this point that he’s written, I haven’t come across anything that stands out as super gross or weird, aside from the naked Garou girl in his Valkenburg story, but considering some of the grosser things he wrote in other books, I don’t see much need to rag on the dude for something so minor.

For those of you unaware, Brucato is known within the WoD fandom for having written some incredibly gross poo poo, and I’ll get to that stuff when I get to it, so if you wonder why I make jokes about the dude, you’ll understand when we eventually cover something like say…Freak Legion.

But enough introduction, let’s get this party started!

Table of Contents
  • Prelude: Beyond the Tapestry
  • Introduction
  • Chapter One: Tradition Chantries
    Doissetep, Chantry of Cal Ladeim, The Lands of Thunder and Twilight
    -The House of Helekar; Chantry of the Forbidden Lands
    -The Lodge of the Gray Squirrel; Chantry of the Second World of Diné
    -Vali Shallar; Chantry of Mu
    -The Sepulcher; a Haunted Mansion of the Hollow Ones
  • Chapter Two: Technocracy Constructs
    -The Society of the Immutable Armature; Construct of MECHA
    -Null-B; Construct of Yenosia the Wasteland of Dead Aspirations
    -Research Plantation #4, Construct of Moreauvia
  • Chapter Three: Nephandi Labyrinths
    -Dracus Vachor; Labyrinth of the Ulic Batu, the Sea of Ash
    -The Household of the Jade Demon; in the Maze of Ebon Gates
  • Chapter Four: Chantry Creation
  • Chapter Five: Harvest Time
  • Appendix One: Other Strangeness
  • Appendix Two: Optional Creation System

Beyond the Tapestry

We begin with the prelude story “Beyond the Tapestry” which I think is picking up with the Euthanatos assassin from the interstitial fiction from the corebook, but I’m not 100% sure. The story, all of about a page, follows a recently Awakened Mage by the name of Amanda who is driving through Phoenix, Arizona to her mentor’s Chantry, located in a rare books shop.

Upon arrival she discovers the corpse of a young man inside that her mentor seems unfazed by. As the corpse doesn’t have sharp incisors, he’s not a Kindred and Amanda stuffs him in a closet per instruction.

The story ends with Amanda entering what I assume to be the Horizon Realm linked with the chantry, a place of vast plains and three moons, with a blood-colored stone mansion off in the distance. And that’s it, the story is incredibly short and to the point, but it’s clear that Kathleen is a talented fiction writer as this story does an excellent job of establishing its setting and vibe in just a page, while leaving dangling questions for the reader.

Like who was the dead guy and how did he die? These are the things I need to know!

Minor gripe about this story is there is some unfortunate smudging on the page over a few bits of text that make it difficult to clearly read. These look like they’re likely a printing error, and not just the art department using a funky background, so while it's frustrating, it definitely looks more like an accident than something deliberate.

Introduction

What Are Chantries?

We begin things with a brief discussion of what exactly a Chantry is. The more literal of the two meanings of the word is that it is the place where a Mage lives and studies. The second meaning refers to the physical building, as well as the members, Nodes, Horizon Realms, etc. of the place, and this is the definition that the book intends when addressing the term.

Chantries are also, probably unsurprisingly considering this is the WoD and Wizards are douchebags, full of intrigue and haunted by the shadow of Hubris, or the deadly pride a Mage takes in their own power.

How to Use This Book

Chantries are a lot like Caerns in Werewolf, but unlike Caerns, which the Garou can essentially live without, if necessary, Chantries are essential to a Mage gaining power. This handy-dandy book provides ST’s with rules for creating and running their own Chantries, as well as information about the various aspects that make up a Chantry, such as the Cabals, Nodes, Horizon Realms, politics, etc. The provided story ideas are intended to allow ST’s to get the most out of Chantries in their stories, and rules are provided not only for Tradition Chantries, but also Technocracy and Nephandi Chantries. We also get 10 pre-made Chantries to plop right into our very own Chronicles.

Elements of the Chantry

Cabals

Mages tend to gather in small groups, generally based on friendship, mutual goals or motivations, and these groups, when formed by Tradition Mages, are known as Cabals, while the Technocracy refers to their Cabals as Amalgams. While the Traditions and Conventions are the broad political representations of Awakened thought, Cabals, by their nature as smaller groups, tend to handle the day-to-day business of achieving victory in the Ascension War.

Cabals can be formal or informal in their structures, and membership varies depending on the purpose of the Cabal. Often new Mage's form Cabals together, as do spies, magical terrorists, tutors and basically any other kinds of Awakened groups. While the Technocracies Amalgams are generally made up of Mages of different conventions, the Traditions have also picked up on this method of Cabal building, and it is not unusual to see members of the various Traditions joining mixed Cabals. While Tradition Cabals are joined voluntarily, Amalgams are often formed by the superiors of a Construct.

No one is sure if Marauders form Cabals, but the Nephandi do, usually pretending to be Tradition or Technocracy members to conceal their true nature so they can more easily infiltrate both Tradition and Conventions. When multiple Cabals come together, they typically form a Chantry. On occasion a single Cabal will own an entire Chantry, but this is generally only if the Cabal is extremely powerful or the Chantry itself is very weak. Chantries are generally composed of two to six Cabals, with three being the average, and each Cabal being assigned to a specific duty.

Many of the occupants of a Chantry are not even Mages, they are servants, Acolytes, and other hangers-on who keep the place running, as the Truly Awakened are rare to find, especially in the “Media-saturated Western world”.

Types of Chantries

Most Mages have a place they call home, and in Tradition terms, this is a Chantry, while Convention Mages call them Constructs. Both terms refer to the same idea. A Chantry is a vital element of Mage existence, and the differences in Mage societies are often reflected in the Chantries they inhabit. Centuries old Chantries are often empty, while newer Chantries more closely resemble armed refugee camps where those raised in the shadow of the Technocracy can plot.

In the steel halls of Constructs, the Technocracy molds the Awakened into the Technocratic Mages of the future. All Chantries have a physical representation on Earth, while many have a permanent Umbral form as well, often existing in their own Horizon Realms, located in the space between the Near and Deep Umbra.

Each Chantry serves different purposes, and more information can be found in the corebook under Life in the Traditions.

Nodes

Nodes are reservoirs of Quintessence, aka the source of Magic, and are found all over the world in spots where the inherent magical energy is strong. Chantries built on Earth are usually built on top of Nodes, while a Chantry with a Horizon Realm needs to draw energy from a Node to power the existence of the Realm itself. Chantries with larger or incredibly powerful Realms require multiple Nodes.

Of course, Mage’s aren’t the only ones who need Nodes, as the Garou, Wraiths and Kithain also need to access these power sources for their own reason. To the shock of literally no one, this has led to battles over these locations. However, the best way to resolve these disputes is sharing the Nodes, or trading Nodes. In some cases, a Node is leased to a Chantry or even a single Cabal, though the price for such a lease is extremely high, even by the standards of Mages, and these bargains are referred to as “Devil’s Deeds”.

To which I say, if the Garou come stomping in, you let them have the goddamn Node. Take your dumb wizard poo poo and get out, Gaia’s warriors are here to do stuff. Granted they’re probably going to gently caress up in some spectacular way, but that’s beside the point.

Horizon Realms

A steady supply of Quintessence is required to create and support Umbral Realms, the aforementioned Horizon Realms. These Realms offer Mage's control over the physical laws of the created Realm, allowing for the safe practicing of Magic without fear of Paradox. Because these Realms exist on the periphery of the Umbra, and are often well hidden, only those who are aware of their existence may find and enter them.

No two Realms are the same, each is unique in its environment, ambiance, ecosystem and magical qualities, and are often much larger and awe-inspiring than the Chantries that support them.

A Note to the Storyteller/A Warning to Players Sidebar

For the Storyteller

While this book provides backgrounds, rules and info, the authors have left plenty of room for ST’s to play around with.

quote:

“As usual, the tale is the thing; all rules presented here are guidelines only. Appendix Two allows for personalized Chantry building, but should not be considered gospel”

All terminology used in this book, unless otherwise noted, is considered Tradition parlance, as common terminology is easier to understand.

For the Players

quote:

“For maximum enjoyment, players should not read the sections detailing either the Chantry write ups or the enclosed scenario. Mysteries are best unveiled gradually. Knowing the best surprises of a book before play is not fun at all, but the choice is, of course, yours….”

And that’s it for the introduction. While I understand the warning/note to players/ST, it always feels odd to me when the authors take these moments to speak directly to the reader and either remind the ST’s to do what they want or to tell players not to spoil the contents of the book/their gaming experience by reading the book.

I don’t have a satisfactory solution to the problem of “Maybe players are going to read a book directed at ST’s” because as I noted in the Sabbat Handbook review, there’s literally nothing stopping a player from picking up and reading any of these books, other than cost and availability.

Basically, you just have to work on the honor system that players who may or may not have read the same sourcebooks as the ST aren’t going to gently caress with the game by arguing about some element of the game that the ST drew from a book and presents differently. Which I feel like most players would be cool with but considering the scolding tone these books have taken at various times when addressing game elements, it's hard to not immediately start thinking about worst case scenarios.

With all that said, this is a short and concise introduction, taking up just two pages. It’s fine as far as introductions go.

Chapter One: Tradition Chantries

What follows are several examples of Tradition controlled Chantries. These are meant to give ST’s an idea of how to develop their own Chantries and should not be taken as the only possibilities of what a Tradition Chantry could look like.

Tradition Chantries

The last 300 years have given rise to the multi-Tradition Chantry. These are diverse, often powerful collectives that have achieved success through their ability to meet any challenges head on. Even in the Mythic Age, the Traditions (or Hermetic Houses of the time) realized the value of working towards a common goal, and with the expansion of the Technocracy, cooperation has become the norm.

Many believe that the multi-Tradition structure is essential to survival, as it presents a dynamic evolution from the more rigid single Tradition form, while more conservative factions lean towards inter-Tradition rivalry, though some see this as feeding stasis instead of encouraging growth. With the Technocracies iron grip on reality, dissension among the Traditions is the last thing they need.

The Ages

Chantries are not static, as they grow and change just like their inhabitants. These ages are often compared to seasons and represent the rise and fall in fortunes of the Chantry. Like the Awakened themselves, Chantries gather power and influence with age, but that vitality is eventually lost, and the torch must be passed from old to new, even if it must be pried from the fingers of the elders.

Newly Established Chantry

New Chantries, those established within the last few decades, generally have had a rough go of finding Nodes to support the creation of Horizon Realms, and so are uncommon among newer Chantries, while some older Chantries have lost their Realms due to loss of Nodes to either being captured or completely drained.

Most of these newer Chantry's support between two and four Cabals, ranging from Disciples to Masters, though Disciples are the majority. While the diversity of these Chantries helps them defend against a common enemy, they lack the guidance of elders and often value their independence over good advice.

New Chantries are typically found in cities or towns, often in estates, small apartments or large houses, penthouse suites and even entire floors of buildings. Most of these Chantries have loose structures, but this isn’t always true. Most have some loose covenants, which are typically direct and functional, and unlike older covenants, they generally deal with current issues head on, while older laws require regular reinterpretation.

New Chantries are rarely in direct contact with older Chantries, though elders still tend to watch them from a distance. Older groups are not above using younger Chantries as pawns, though they will protect them from the Technocracy when necessary. Most younger Chantries try to establish themselves, but often encounter difficulties in achieving this goal, and many have supernatural enemies (such as Garou, Kindred, etc.) Young Chantries that are targeted by Constructs don’t tend to last very long. The research capabilities of these Chantries tend to be limited, though they usually have ultramodern information tech, as the Virtual Adepts typically belong to younger Chantries. While these Chantries often have many contacts, they generally only have a few spies.

Respected Chantry

Status 2-4

Most multi-Tradition Chantries fall into this category, having succeeded where their peers have fallen, and while warring with the Technocracy has taken its toll, it has also honed these Mages abilities to survive. Usually composed of three to five Cabals, each Cabal has its place within the grand scheme while also following their own path. The Mages of these Chantries have learned the value of secrecy, respect and wisdom, and while the leaders may have lost their naive vigor, it has been replaced by hard earned experience.

Petty rivalries are common but never serious, and these Chantries are more cautious than their smaller and larger counterparts. These Chantries typically control three to four Nodes of varying power levels, which generate approximately 15-20 points of Quintessence a day. These Nodes are of course well protected.

Despite this wealth of power, few of these “middle-aged” Chantries support Realms, as the cost to do so is too prohibitive, and those that do rarely create Realms of a massive scale. Generally differing in appearance and ecosystems from Earth, these Realms tend to be only about 25 miles wide. These Chantries are usually found in discrete areas like a suburb, and are treated more as meeting places than homes, often stockpiled with weapons, equipment and cash reserves.

The internal structures vary, with most being under the leadership of a panel of Deacons, and the covenants are heavily detailed but outdated, lacking provisions for such things as mass-media, information system access, high tech monitors or rules about the treatment of Rogues. Often the resident Mages have unofficial policies to deal with these matters, but these are rarely put in writing.

The rise of computer technology has led to changes in these “Summer” Chantries, with some offering places to the Virtual Adepts to take advantage of their expertise in magical computers and information resources. These computer systems are often protected by elaborate tech-wards, and the Cult of Ecstasy has adapted well to the new tech, with many enjoying BBSes, faxing things all over hell and creation or jacking into VR for new kinds of stimulation.

Nearly all Chantries of this type have some Status, though rarely above a 3, and while they generally have a Reputation amongst other Awakened, they are typically unknown to sleepers. The many Contacts these Chantries have allowed them to verify incoming data more quickly, though few have spies. These Chantries also tend to have excellent laboratories and libraries, a handful of enemies, a rival or two and some allies.

Old and Revered

Doissetep is a perfect example of an old and revered Chantry, those that have survived since the Mythic Age, though there are less than 15 of these known to exist, while others are still sealed in Realms or obscure corners of the Earth.

These older Chantries typically have four to seven Cabals, with Doissetep having 10, and the internal strife of so many Cabals would surely destroy a younger Chantry. Most limit their membership in some way, either with strict initiation tests or just straight up discrimination, to say nothing of the way new recruits are treated. “Tenured” members hold the highest ranks while apprentices handle all the poo poo work and Orphans, Renegades and refugees are looked down on.

While outright hostility is rare, that doesn’t mean that resident Cabals aren’t working against each other in secret, nor does it mean that individual rivalries are not potentially deadly serious. Cabals rarely do more than is absolutely needed from them to aid their fellow Cabals, and while these Chantries put up a unified, powerful front, the constant bickering, especially amongst the older Mages, undermines this. Some believe that decades of magic use have had a corrupting influence on the older Mages, ranging from extended Quiet to raging Hubris, while others claim that the resonating effect of Realms seems to have affected those who have been long time residents. Either way, these older Chantries seem to ferment intrigue and weirdness.

Old Chantries are believed to control 10 or more nodes each, that provide between 15-40 Quintessence points a day, and with such power, they have little difficulty supporting their Realms, prolonging the lifetimes of the Mages within at the potential risk of their sanity.

Unlike the considerably smaller Realms of the Respected Chantries, these Realms are rarely smaller than 200 miles in diameter, and most have their own ecosystems and unique natural inhabitants. These Realms are subject to the powers of their founders, and some believe, their moods. Old Mages do not tolerate upheaval in their Realms and so rule them with an iron fist.

The buildings that house these Chantries are also massive, and while their appearances vary, they all bear the marks of power and leadership. Most have more Acolytes than they need, allowing the Mages to ignore worldly matters and focus instead on their “hobbies”. These Chantries often have multiple Earthly outposts.

Their covenants are often dry, lengthy, tedious and painstakingly hand scribed on parchment, and many apprentices have honed their handwriting by copying these endless documents. New circumstances must be drafted into the covenant, leading to many being contained in thickly bound books. A panel of Deacons, featuring a representative of either the Cabal or Traditions represented in the Chantry is common, though dictatorship is not unheard of. The politics of these massive Chantries involve intricate alliances, deceit, trickery and debts.

Because for all their cosmic power, Mages are just as petty as Sleepers (and the rest of the supernatural community of the WoD if you think about it.). Few Mages gain the power to establish a Chantry like this, and as such these Chantries are immensely powerful and well respected, with high Status and widely known Reputations (for good or ill, usually ill). While they regularly make and break alliances, they at least try to do so honorably, and alliances with younger Chantries are backed with more force than in the past, as the survival of the Traditions is in danger. Orphans are not welcome here.

Magical tutelage is good, with a healthy dose of real-world political experience and hands-on sparring to supplement the academics. Libraries of these Chantries are often massive, as it is customary practice for all books owned by a Mage to be bequeathed to the Chantry upon their death. Their mundane libraries are also large, but generally 15-20 years out of date, with a few being hundreds of years out of date. Information systems are on par with middle-aged Chantries, but rarely better. Older Chantries have dependable contacts and spies within the Technocracy and other Tradition chantries, and their laboratories are great, though the lower-ranked generally get pushed off to the lovely research spaces.

Types of Chantries

A Chantry is typically shaped by its purpose, and provided are several of the most significant types for on-going chronicles.

War Chantry

Some small Chantries are devoted to a singular purpose, with only one or two Cabals, usually formed of Rogues from other Chantries, uniting under a common banner. Membership is by invitation only, and these single purpose Chantries typically have short life spans, either disbanding or going out in a blaze of glory within their first five years of existence.

War Chantries are just such an example of a single purpose Chantry, specializing in leading attacks against various enemies. Some are splinters of larger Chantries, but most are free agents who have pledged to avenge a fallen friend. These are not a modern invention by any means, as these types of groups have existed for centuries, though the war with the Technocracy has given them more targets to focus on. Many have some of the best warriors in existence but need to engage in open combat to achieve their goals.

A War Chantry merges a lot of power, both mystical and other, and often have heavily fortified buildings, compact but secure Realms, powerful Guardians and as many Nodes as they can take and hold. Their obsessive nature often leads to debts and risk taking that no rational Chantry would consider, but the sheer fervor of the Cabals within often leads to triumph, even if only temporarily.

The politics of such a Chantry are generally simple and direct, traitors die, and loyalty is fierce. Arguments are resolved quickly for the greater good, and while their research capabilities are limited, their hands-on training is excellent. Outsiders are always suspect, and new recruits are put through a gauntlet of tests. Visitors are welcome but carefully watched at all times.

The intensity of these Chantries offers ample room for storytelling, such as a player who must deliver an important message to a Chantry that is hostile to their Tradition, or an obsessive warrior becoming fixated on a player and dragging their entire Chantry into the mess. Players being players might want to form their own War Chantry or join an existing one, and in that case, the enemies, trauma and friction of total war will take its toll.

Exploration Chantry

These Chantries serve the same purpose of the Void Engineers, to map reality, though instead of imposing their reality on the cosmos, they simply record what they find so that others can interpret it. Today, most see the members of the few remaining Explorer Chantries to be dreamers without dreams, simply playing around at the fringes of Ascension.

These Chantries are generally not well regarded by the more war-like or practical Mages, with some claiming they are connected to the Void Engineers or Nephandi as the explorers seek the secrets of the Deep Umbra. Explorer Chantries typically house two or more Cabals, who spend their time in research and experimentation, with most specializing in astral travel, spirit walking and the altering of consciousness through VR, drugs, fasting or any other means. The Dreamspeakers, VA and Cult of Ecstasy are the most common Mages to find in these Chantries, which doesn’t help their standing with the other Traditions. The Sons of Ether have at least one Chantry that orbits the Moon, decked out in Victorian splendor and utterly unconcerned that its very existence violates scientific reality. It’s said they’ve made a pact with the Fae to protect this Chantry from the Void Engineers.

Because Arcadia is either on the moon or in the Umbral reflection of the moon? I don’t remember exactly, but the Kithain are associated with the moon.

These Chantries tend to tap Nodes that others haven’t noticed and have small Realms as their true focus is outside. After all, what’s the fun of exploring something you can create? Often found in inaccessible and remote places such as mountaintops, ocean depths or deserts, they typically have extensive research facilities and their internal morale is typically high, with plenty of debate but few major problems.

Stories involving these types of Chantries could include breaches in the barriers of perceived reality, assaults by strange and unknown forces or visits from other groups hell bent on proving a pet theory at the expense of the Chantry.

Ancestral Chantries

Most of the earliest Chantries were Ancestral or controlled by a single Tradition. While Mages have been teaming up since the Mythic Age, many only feel comfortable around their own Tradition. As such these Chantries are more of an aspect of the past, having been replaced by the newer, multi-Tradition Chantries, though some still try to return to the old ways.

Some have survived on the outer fringes of the Horizon, powerful but inflexible, as they are steeped in their heritage, their lack of diversity makes it difficult for them to survive outside of their Realms. To step into one of these Chantries is to step into a forgotten world, and it is this embracing of stasis that has led these Chantries into long “Winters”.

Hereditary Chantries

Some smaller Chantries are just extended family groups, such as the Crombey Farm in Chapter 5. This form of Chantry is common among the Verbena, Dreamspeakers, Euthanatos and Celestial Chorus, who often raise their children to shrug off consensual reality. Some of the Euthanatos Chantries are composed entirely of the first son of each generation, while all-female Chantries are more common among the Verbena, and even some members of the Order of Hermes keep their traditions within their families.

Hereditary Chantries generally have stronger bonds, but fall more easily to familial trust, hubris or isolation.

College Chantries

While all Chantries are centers of learning, only those known as College Chantries devote the entirety of their resources to educating the newly Awakened, providing neophytes with the most well rounded and intense tutelage in the universe. It is in these Chantries that those destined for greatness are honed for the tasks set before them.

A holdover of the Mythic Age, they saw a resurgence during the Victorina era prior to the Technocracy locking down reality through the laws of science. Magic Colleges are exceedingly rare, with small classes of three to eight students. When these schools were originally formed during the Mythic Age, the halls were packed with students and the attention of tutors was at a premium. In the modern age however, the halls are mostly empty, standing as monuments to a bygone era with Acolytes and servants making up much of the population. Despite this, getting accepted to such a college is difficult and the work is more demanding than ever before.

The remaining Chantries of this kind were founded in the 1800’s, though some smaller schools have opened during the Ascension War, with only three from the Mythic Age still known to exist, the Nerentus University in the Cloud Realm, Yulen Academy of Internal Mythology in the Dream World of Orthos and the School of Ghenrojok in the Kingdom of Strykar.

Whole chronicles could be built around students at a magical college, and not just your lovely Harry Potter fan fic.

Magical Tutelage Sidebar

Training at a magical college is more detailed and diverse than apprenticeship, as students are trained in not only the philosophies of magic, but Continuum Lore, which covers a general overview of the other Traditions and Conventions. Continuum Lore can be purchased as a Knowledge, but generally only available through college training. Most colleges will have tutors of each Tradition, though this is not always the case. The VA have broadly had a tough time joining colleges as either students or instructors, while the Order of Hermes and Sons of Ether are widely represented as they can take advantage of the resources to conduct experiments in their free time.

Admission Policies

Students can be either apprentices or sleepers with Avatars that show promise. The former must pass a board of sponsorship and review, while the latter are typically just recruited off the street by Acolytes. The dedication, character and talents of these “Applicants” is weighed heavily before admission is considered.

Tuition

Ain’t nothing free, and generally students are expected to perform assorted services for their tutors, ranging from the mundane like washing windows to the more extreme, like capturing or killing an enemy. Students are regularly put into situations that require them to consider and make a sacrifice of some kind, testing both their knowledge and character. Even after graduation, they remain in debt to the school, because even though you’re a wizard with amazing cosmic powers, student loan debt is still a thing because gently caress you. This debt can be repaid in service, arcane books or Talismans. Generous Alumni often receive more assistance from their Alma Maters, while those who default suffer reputation damage or worse.

Fellowships

Some colleges have fellowships, or more plainly, fraternities including both male and female students. These groups compete in debates and special competitions. They stress honor, achievement and excellence through hard work and skill.

Grading

Students are tested and graded, being rated by degrees as they face various challenges. These test scores can be provided to any Chantry the student wishes to join after graduation and can work for or against their admission to a Chantry.

Disciplinary Codes

Each college, like the Traditions, has a certain code of conduct, though the specifics, of course, vary. A college sponsored by the Celestial Chorus for example would likely have strict rules about sexual relationships while a Cult of Ecstasy college would be considerably more lenient in that regard. Honor and Responsibility are the heart of disciplinary codes, and a Mage who lacks either is a danger to all. Repeat violators are sometimes punished with Gilgul, though most punishments are far less severe, and range from simple revocation of privileges to expulsion.

Graduation

Displaying a level of comprehension of the Spheres is required to graduate, though other skills play a part in the “Degree Requirements” such as Knowledges of Cosmology, Culture and Occult, Skills in Leadership, Meditation and Technology or Talents like Athletics, Brawl (Martial Arts) and Expression.

The Alumni

Graduates tend to have strong bonds with their classmates, and these bonds can lead to many story opportunities, from rivals, partnerships, love affairs, or even master-student interplay. Players may also take Backgrounds like Mentor, Allies or Destiny through their college association.

So magic school is as overpriced as regular school, and lord help you if you get stuck going to a Celestial Chorus school, which sounds like it would be one of those lovely “Faith” based schools Jerry Fallwell started.

Squatter Chantries

Places without Nodes to sustain them are known as Squatter Chantries, and typically have a bad reputation as they often make a habit of raiding other nodes for their Quintessence. Like Small Chantries, they have no Realms, few if any magical protections and low to no status. These Chantries are common among the Hollow Ones and other Orphans, because other Mages are dickheads who won't help them out.

Which isn’t to say there aren’t younger Tradition Mages or even single Tradition Cabals and Chantries that lack permanent Quintessence sources. Unfortunately for everyone involved, these are common targets for the Technocracy, as they prove to be easy targets. Generally, these Chantries are based out of abandoned buildings, large apartments or out of the way houses. Others are completely mobile. As these Chantries have so little to lose, more powerful Cabals will use them as pawns, offering help or Quintessence for “just a little favor”. These don’t have to be collections of outlaws and vagabonds, though that is the common belief. Some are simply temporary HQs for established Mages who are on the run, while others are fortified strongholds that have been cut from a permanent supply of Prime energy.

Typically, they house between one and three small Cabals, with a sparse covenant and meager research capabilities. Bickering is common but tight friendships are regularly formed in the face of adversity. A strong internal rift could be deadly not only to the Chantry itself but to everyone associated.

Players are likely to form their own squatter Chantry at some point, and stories such as the search for Quintessence reserves, hiding from powerful enemies, or facing off against a rival over turf are all possibilities to explore.

The Chantries

Each of the Chantries provided below include a list of the resident Mages and detailed write ups of members of interest. Background, Nodes, Realms, etc., are all outlined as well. Story ideas associated with each Chantry are also provided. Chapters Two and Three cover Technocracy and Nephandi Chantry descriptions in the same format, while rules for Chantry creation are provided in Chapter 4, and alternative rules provided in Appendix 2. The adventure Harvest Time in Chapter 5 also has a fully detailed Chantry.

Chantry Listings sidebar

There are 10(!) Chantries detailed across Chapter 1-3, and they all follow the format laid out below.
  • Name of the Chantry
  • Brief introduction
  • Cabals: listing the Cabals, their history, purpose and nature, including characters of note to represent the tone of the Cabal, as well as offering a template for other characters in that Realm. Each character also has various story possibilities. While not every Cabal can be represented, the included should serve as inspiration.
  • Nodes
  • Horizon Realm
  • The Chantry
  • External Relations
  • Stories

Tomorrow: We delve into the mysteries and secrets (and thousands of words) of the Traditions most powerful Chantry, Doissetep

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm serious, they definitely reject Pride. They love to talk about it online.

Clearly, they're a million times as humble as thou art.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Our adventure begins with the deaths of the PCs. The circumstances of how they died are left to the players, who describe what was happening themselves. Each such scene is individually acted out, although the DM is encouraged to give the player as much autonomy as possible in determining the events of the scene. Once each player has acted out their death scene, they will reawaken in the afterlife of the Veil:

quote:

Your consciousness fades as your last thoughts drift through your mind. You feel one last surge of emotion that you can’t quite place... almost like walking into a room and then forgetting why you’re there. Then there is nothing, and the world goes black.

[pause]

A moment later, you slowly become aware of a soft, gray light coming from a source you cannot see, and the form of someone leaning over you. You feel yourself regaining awareness of your limbs as a warm, comforting voice asks:

“Are you ready?”

This is Azrael, and the PCs’ souls are their bodies, which take on an idealized version of how they view themselves. This particular scene is just for one player/PC, where Azrael will introduce himself and his title as the Angel of Death, explaining that they’re dead, and that they’re not yet in Heaven or Hell but a realm known as the Veil. He can answer a few questions, although the conversation inevitably drifts to him asking for the PC’s help in protecting souls on the way to the true afterlife, and that those who aid him are known as Reapers.

Before the PC can answer, the decision is thrust upon them when Azrael senses a soul in danger, where he uses a magical pocketwatch known as Timekeeper to transport himself and the PC elsewhere in the Veil. Said soul is another PC, and a group of monsters known as Soulreavers and Bloodfiend Furies are lurking nearby to attack. Individually these monsters are quite weak: Soulreavers are spiderlike fiends who can attach themselves to souls both living and dead, draining hope from them via a pseudo-grapple and their bites deal physical and psychic damage. Bloodfiends are fiends who tend to spawn when blood is spilled on the Material Plane, being literal manifestations of hatred and destruction. Bloodfiend Furies are the weakest of their species, basically being small flying bloodsuckers who heal damage by biting targets.

Such an encounter is intentionally meant to be easy even for a reduced party size, and Azrael will be on their side for it as well as serving as a DMPC for roughly the first half of the campaign. In terms of stats Azrael is a pretty powerful physical attacker with a fast fly speed (90 feet), 18 AC from plate armor, and has pretty keen senses such as high modifiers in Insight and Perception plus the ability to detect any spoken (but not written) lie as well as being aware of the location of any creature on the Material Plane, as well as any creature that is in the process of dying. He also has three unique magic items on his person: the Scythe of Death, a +2 weapon that deals bonus necrotic damage which ignores resistance and immunity, advantage on attacks and double damage to undead, and can be used to cast Power Word Kill once every 1d4 Long Rests. Timekeeper can be used to travel through time and space to any location in the universe but can only exist while in the Veil (can be effortlessly retrieved when you return). Finally, the Book of Souls is used to track the locations and destinies of every creature in the universe, allowing one to cast Locate Creature with unlimited range provided you are in the same Realm and they don’t have anti-divination magic protecting them. The book can also give general information on the creature’s personality, relationships, and significant events. All in all, Azrael’s archetypal role can be summed up as a martial investigator, and he’s operating on a power level where he is less of a sidekick and basically PC-tier all his own.

Going back to the adventure, Azrael will introduce himself to the new PC, ask them “are you ready?” in stating his offer about joining the Reapers, and the general events sans combat encounters will repeat for the remaining PCs. At this point everyone is encouraged to get to know each other, and we have a sidebar about general roleplay info for Azrael via Ideals, Bonds, Flaws, and his goals. Overall he’s a rather introspective individual, who tends to encourage people to speak more about themselves than about himself in conversations. As an angel, he has a vested interest in helping others find ways to right their past wrongs and redeem themselves. In fact, helping the PCs grow and change for the better during the adventure is his primary goal, although he shrouds this under the cover story of helping “save the world” as Reapers. But the world is doomed to end anyway; the adventure may be Biblical Cosmic Horror, but it is also one that intends to place heavy emphasis on the personal journey. As for how well it does it…I have mixed thoughts we’ll get into later during this review.

Eventually Azrael will use Timekeeper to transport the party into a dimly lit stone room with medieval architecture, where seven lampstands burn. In reality this is the tallest tower in the Citadel of the Glassy Sea, a former military fortress in Heaven that has been converted to a place of rest and learning after Satan’s failed rebellion against God. Each lampstand bears the name of some of the oldest Christian churches such as Laodicea and Pergamum, and it is through the braziers that the voice of God sends messages to Reapers informing them of upcoming missions. There are seven lampstands because the PCs have seven missions to do, which make up the entirety of this campaign. Each lampstand’s fire will go out with a completed mission, and if asked what happens once the final one dims…Azrael will say that “it is finished…Everything…is finished.” An adjacent room holds a teleportation circle that transports Reapers to where they’re needed for missions.

Guard Her Heart is the first mission the PCs receive. They will be transported outside a church (or synagogue if Christianity hasn’t yet been established as a religion) in the Material Plane, although the PCs will still be in the Veil. The house of worship is empty save for a teenage girl kneeling in prayer, her anxious heart weighed down by something. Through the Veil Azrael and the PCs can sense that the girl’s soul is in turmoil. Her identity is left vague, and the adventure suggests making it someone relevant to one of the PC’s backstories, along with a d6 table for inspiration of what is troubling the girl. It’s even possible that she may not be anyone the PCs know. In the latter case, “all souls are sacred in the eyes of God, and even a random teenager deserves the protection of the Reapers.”

Azrael warns the party that evil forces are on their way, seeking to drain her soul of hope. These are a group of fiends led by Ashmedai, a demon who works directly for the Antichrist, and they attack the church/synagogue in three waves. While the fiends cannot physically harm the girl, the soulreavers will attempt to sneak up during the fight to attach themselves to her soul. The fight is considered “lost” if she fails three saving throws, but if she saves three times then the soulreavers will be repelled by damaging holy light (this isn’t a plot device, this is how their stat blocks are set up) and will thus be immune to any such further attempts. The first two waves of fiends include Infernal Legionaries (longsword-wielding footsoldiers who are the weakest among Satan’s forces) and a single Infernal Warlord leading them (much stronger fiend that uses a greatsword and pistol that shoots hellfire, can give commands to allies to let them move or attack as a reaction).

The third and final wave is special. The fiends showing up this time are members of the Antichrist’s Marked Taskforce, 12 shock troopers showing up in three AFVs in sets of 4. They’re also in the Veil, and Azrael will inform the party that Satan’s forces have access to technology from all time periods and these ones have the souls of demons despite looking human. Ashmedai, a particularly cunning and old demon, will call out from one of the vehicles to offer Azrael and the Reapers to surrender, but immediately rescinds this before anyone can respond. Each Shock Trooper has a Bag of Holding containing a Soulreaver which they’ll unleash once they get close to the girl, while being supported by Ashmedai who will fire an AFV’s rotary cannon as an AoE lair action which affects everyone in the building, even his allies.

If the three waves are defeated Ashmedai will grow frustrated, attempting to stall for time by “negotiating” with the PCs as the final wave of three more soul reavers come in through the back. He will crush a gemstone to summon an Infernal Dreadnaught, which is an incredibly powerful Huge-sized demon that operates out of instinct and not tactics. The Dreadnaught relies on melee attacks and a trample that can knock people around. If at any time the girl fails three saving throws, she will leave the church depressed, her prayers abandoned.

The fate of the girl has brief consequences later on in the adventure. Azrael’s Guide to the Apocalypse makes use of something called a Story Tracker, where certain decisions made in the adventure can alter future characters and encounters. For PCs who helped protect the girl, they will gain bonuses to certain rolls in battle against Babylon in the final chapters of the campaign.

All in all, this shouldn’t be a particularly hard encounter for 10th level PCs. The enemies individually can be easily dispatched, there is enough time between waves for PCs to heal and make preparations (but not enough for a Short Rest), and someone who stays near the girl can intercept Soulreavers without much trouble given that their sneakiest abilities are a +6 Stealth.

Ashmedai will attempt to flee whether the Reapers succeeded or failed, using one of the AFVs. PCs who pursue via using one of the other AFVs can engage in a car chase, which is resolved as a skill challenge. Characters who aren’t the driver can still contribute, such as tracking Ashmedai’s movements via looking for tread marks on the road with Perception, or accurately guessing the urban layout with History.

Sadly, this doesn’t amount to much, as even if the PCs catch up to Ashmedai he will use a scroll of Plane Shift to escape by traveling backwards in time to his lair. Azrael will use the Book of Souls to track Ashmedai’s location, narrowing it down to a cave in the mountains near Jerusalem when Jesus Christ was alive and preaching. The rest of Chapter 1 is thus a dungeon crawl where the PCs go through Ashmedai’s lair, solving puzzles, overcoming traps, and fighting his guardians.

But first, the party will meet one of Azrael’s allies after being transported to a road outside Jerusalem. A nephilim woman by the name of Gethsemani (her parents named her after the garden in Jerusalem) will greet Azrael and ask about his new friends; she’s still alive on the Material Plane but is wearing a Ring of Dark Glass, a magic item that lets her detect and interact with celestials and fiends. While traveling to the nearby mountains the PCs will get the opportunity for a Short Rest, and while camping she asks if there’s still anything that scares the party now that they’re guardian angels. This is another Story Tracker moment during the battle against Babylon, and also when fighting Satan directly. The PCs will also pass by a large gathering of people off in the distance hearing Jesus give a sermon. Partway through Jesus gives a slight head nod of recognition to Azrael who returns the gesture. Eventually the group will arrive at the mountain region of Gennesaret, where Gethsemani will point out a hidden entrance into Ashmedai’s lair. She will warn them that the lair was built to house a dangerous creature known as the Shamir, and share with them a vague prophecy about the Antichrist who seeks to destroy all religions and convert the world to worshiping demons. Which I suppose is still technically a religion, but I get what she means.

There’s more to Gethsemani than meets the eye: she will eventually join the Reapers later on in the campaign and also serve as a recurring ally two times before that happens. When she was very young, Gethsemani fell in love with another girl by the name of Ari, a decision that her family and community disapproved of. The two girls tried to keep their relationship secret, but once their nightly gatherings were discovered the community’s elders assembled an angry mob to murder Ari. Naamah, the Archdemon of Lust and a major villain in Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible, helped fan the flames, taking personal pleasure in ending genuinely loving relationships. Gethsemani later found this out from the Witch of Endor (another AGttB character), which instilled in her a newfound goal of opposing the plots of demons and destroying them wherever they can be found.

quote:

What was the Problem with Ari?
This part of the story has been left ambiguous so that you, as the GM, can give Gethsemani’s story similarities to one of your player characters. Gethsemani and Ari lived during a time fraught with discrimination, and their relationship could have been condemned for any number of reasons, the most likely being race (Ari was an immigrant), sex (Ari was also a girl), or religion (Ari was a different faith).

The reason for this discrimination is not important, but ideally the story will resonate with one or more of your player characters who have had a similar experience. Thus, try to make Gethsemani’s backstory one that your player characters will immediately latch on to and identify with.

So Gethsemani is very clearly a queer woman. While Red Panda Publishing has given indications of being the more progressive kinds of Christians, their treatment of sexual orientation in their first adventure was quite vague. It’s a lot more explicit in this one, as none of the angelic or Godly characters have a problem with her. While the adventure still tries to play coy in the above quote, the homophobic undertones of Ari’s murder are placed at the feet of a demon. Even so, it’s still a cliche, and I feel that the writers want to give an “out” by going “you can change the details if you want.” But IMO this is much better than the vagaries of Adventurer’s Guide.

Ashmedai’s lair is a mid-sized dungeon crawl. And an interesting thing about it is that the elements within draw not as much from the Bible but more from Talmudic writings and Jewish folklore. For example, the Shamir is a wormlike being whose mere gaze can cut through stone and metal, and Solomon used it for constructing the First Temple. Additionally, the first room is inspired by a story in the Talmud (Gittin 68a-b), where an adventurer acting on the orders of King Solomon flooded Ashmedai’s lair with wine to capture him and thus gain access to the Shamir.

The top level has four magical juglike vessels spilling out an eternal stream of wine, whose dark consistency conceals a trapdoor at the bottom of the pool. Each vessel has Hebrew letters on them, spelling out Emeth, or “truth.” The wine can be stopped if the first letter (aleph, or א) is removed from the vessel to spell Meth, or “death.” There’s a sidebar for alternative solutions such as using magic to drain or stop the flow of wine, and Azrael can help out the PCs if they’re struggling with the puzzle. One of the guardians is a stone golem carved to look like a hoopoe (a type of bird); it’s been tasked with guarding the Shamir from evil, and PCs can avoid a combat encounter by convincing them that they’re here to stop Ashmedai. The demon’s personal chambers can be unlocked by a Passkey Amulet, which is broken into two halves found in different places in the dungeon, although picking the lock, using the knock spell, or breaking down the door can also bypass this obstacle.

When the PCs find Ashmedai, he is in a room full of creature comforts, of food and drugs taken from all manner of eras and cultures. In fact, it is this devotion to earthly pleasures that makes the demon a rather unreliable ally of Satan and the Antichrist. He isn’t eager to see the world destroyed, so while he still serves the Devil there have been times when he’s ruined the plans of other demons if only to prolong his fun and games. This personality is reflected in the battle, where he’ll waste turns to pour himself a drink or engage in small talk even as Azrael and the PCs attack him. In terms of stats Ashmedai is a “skill user/tricky mage” style of character. He has a variety of innate spells with a preference for illusion and enchantment, has very high modifiers in social skills, is immune to magical effects that would force him to tell the truth and magic cannot determine when he’s being deceitful, and his main physical attack is a magical dagger known as Spell-Splitter that can expend 1 of its 3 charges to cast Dispel Magic on the struck target. And this dagger can be gained as a treasure after the battle.

In reality, Ashmedai is hoping to get captured and thus will willingly surrender if the PCs make the offer. This is part of a greater plot to engineer a prison break later on in the adventure, where several archdemons are released to distract the PCs and other angelic forces in order to deliver the Scroll of Seven Seals to the Antichrist. Said scroll is instrumental in bringing about the End Times and unleashing the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. As for the Shamir, Ashmedai stored the monster in one of his gemstones which he will deploy as yet another distraction if he is pursued. While PCs can use skill checks to sense that something is off about Ashmedai, Azrael’s top priority of capturing the demon remains the same. When he’s captured, Azrael will leave the PCs in the lair as he teleports away. As part of taking a long rest, the party can learn about Ashmedai’s research into storing creatures in gemstones along with a handwritten letter by “J.R.” on a vague plan to “be ready to move when Wormwood makes the drop off.” Afterwards, the PCs will hit 11th level.

In case you’re smelling a railroad, you’re right. This, and the Scroll of Seven Seals, is one of the low points of this campaign, for it requires various characters and events to act and happen in very specific ways.

Thoughts So Far: Azrael’s Guide to the Apocalypse has a pretty novel opening idea: PCs die and act as angelic guardians of mortal souls. The initial combats are rather forgiving, where they fight waves of weaker enemies, Ashmedai doesn’t use optimal tactics as a boss, and failure to save the praying girl isn’t a “Game Over.” However, its extreme linearity and fast pacing is a marked contrast in comparison to Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible, and this is a recurring element. PCs who are playing this one as a sequel may be let down, as the original book had great love and detail in making the First Century Middle East feel like an organic, breathing world that the PCs can shape with their decisions. The car chase skill challenge, Azrael’s hurried recruitment, and having the opening parts of the game (and first combat encounter) happen without the entire party assembled isn’t an optimal way of starting things in my humble opinion. I do like the dungeon crawl, which ironically has the most open-ended options in moving through it and tackling its challenges.

Join us next time as we learn about recruiting DMPCs on missions in Appendix C: Elders and Heroes!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh welcome back.

Can't say whether or not I'll be back for long, though. My review schedule is rather unpredictable and this is really the only place I hang out on Trad Games. Still, I'm posting this cuz it's both interesting and can see it generating equally interesting discussion.

Asterite34 posted:

On the one hand, that is one of the better designed "666 Mark of the Beast" logo interpretations I've seen, sort of a ouroboros/swastika deal. On the other hand, it feels like kind of a waste to take demonic fiends bound in human form and then just use them as unremarkable stormtroopers with assault rifles that could just as easily have been indoctrinated normal people. Like they don't even have any devil magic or anything.

If I had to guess, the Amalgam nature is to make "faceless stormtroopers to mow down" while getting around the tricky "thou shalt not kill" deal. It's implied that conventional human soldiers still exist and the Marked Taskforce are kind of an elite force, but again the worldbuilding is very vague so I'm unsure to what extent it's like XCOM or Half-Life where practically the entire planet's human population is demilitarized.

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I remember, the AGttB was basically well received. But you can't really do the "Book of Revelation prophesying a badass dystopia" thing without working in the genre of some very trashy and very fashy stuff from the 20th century, I don't think.

The predictions about the Antichrist being able to get the kings of all nations following him commonly maps out to the "one world order" deal in contemporary pop culture. Which coincidentally is a view held by a lot of Alex Jones and Rapture types who think the United Nations is a global evil empire picking away at American independence.

AGttB got positive reviews where I could find them, but overall conversations about the book have been relatively mum. There aren't any other reviews like mine for it out on the Internet, as far as I can tell.

Berkshire Hunts posted:

I notice they used a romanization of the Hebrew letter ר for the antichrist’s surname, but I don’t know if they were going for something with it.

Based on my quick Googling, Resh can be used in a Hebrew phrase to mean "lie," which is rather on point for the Antichrist.

quote:

Resh is used in an Israeli phrase; after a child may say something false, one may say "B'Shin Quf, Resh" (With Shin, Quf, Resh). These letters spell Sheqer, which is the Hebrew word for a lie. It would be akin to an English speaker saying "That's an L-I-E."

Everyone posted:

If they're indoctrinated normal people then killing them is basically murder. If they're basically demonic flesh robots (like they apparently are here) then it isn't.

Are there rules for hi-jacking the vehicles or otherwise taking them over in combat?

Nothing in the vein of explicit "make opposed grapple checks," but as people piloting a vehicle occupy specific Seats which have anywhere from half to total cover, you presumably kill the pilot and push them out of the way to take control of the vehicle yourself.

Cythereal posted:

Hell, Jesus directly loving says in the Bible that no one will know the hour of His return and the end of the world. You can't know, and anyone who says they do is trying to deceive you.

It's part of a sermon about how you should strive to life your entire life in a Godly fashion, because your life could end at any time. He was railing against the 'sin today, repent later' mentality that some early Christians had.

I always felt like the ideal era of an End Times fiction would be in a cyberpunk future. The genre is vague enough to always be just around the corner without ending up too dated, like you would with Left Behind being very solidly 90s.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 3, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I appreciate this characterization of Ashmedai, someone who's evil but still finds enough about the world enjoyable that he's hesitant to see it all end even if it's the big key point of the party line. Sorta gives a Crowley in Good Omens vibe. I feel that comes up in a few myths about him, like that story about him impersonating Solomon for like seven years and his subjects not really noticing him being that much more evil than the real one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I also noted that his "chief propagandist" is named Mendax, as in mendacious. A bit on the nose.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

joylessdivision posted:

Mortars fire in an arc and thus cannot be fired inside a building, doing damage similar to explosives, losing 1 die of damage per yard away from the impact zone. These are generally rare to see in the Amazon conflict, though they will occasionally lob mortars at suspected Garou camp locations. If questioned by outsiders, Pentex hand waves the whole thing as “Scheduled demolition” of hard to remove stumps, with falsified documentation to back up the story.

Between this and all the art of Crinos with guns, I'm more than ready for the Jagged Alliance 2: Woofmode. Once you get the warcrime rounds, attacking Pentext outposts must become a hoot.

I also like how many of the Fomori have tragic backstories. What I still don't understand tho if their personalities are composites of human and Bane, or if the bain is just there to mutate the body?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

JcDent posted:

Between this and all the art of Crinos with guns, I'm more than ready for the Jagged Alliance 2: Woofmode. Once you get the warcrime rounds, attacking Pentext outposts must become a hoot.

I also like how many of the Fomori have tragic backstories. What I still don't understand tho if their personalities are composites of human and Bane, or if the bain is just there to mutate the body?

At a guess, since it was still 1e and I don't think Book of the Wyrm came out yet, probably more just the Bane warping the body in these cases. Or maybe not Banes specifically, but some other Wyrm.....goop for lack of a better term.

And despite the somewhat....awkward way the adventure in that book is written feels a bit like it's ignoring the big action movie nonsense that the rest of the book practically waves in your face.

Especially not letting the players hit Haight at all, but I already ranted about that at length in the review.

I'll show you 90's White Wolf, when I write my own Samuel Haight adventure, with black jack and hookers!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Part 2

Doissetep: Chantry of Cal Ladeim, The Lands of Thunder and Twilight

The greatest of the Tradition Chantries stands alone, with cyclopean towers, ominous black walls and gargoyle covered stonework, the Chantry of Doissetep exudes power like the Shard Realm it is found in. If a case were to be made about the resonance effect, Doissetep is the example. While it is nearly invulnerable to external assault, the Chantry rots from within as the Mages squabble over who will rule next.

Cabals

The largest known Chantry houses ten Cabals, each dedicated to their own agendas, and all wishing to dominate it. While only a few of these powerful Mages hold real power, the goal of Ascension has been mostly forgotten, replaced with the hubristic quest for dominance.

Doissetep is a dangerous place for those who live there as well as for visitors.

The Drua’shi - Seekers of Truth

Members: Porthos (Order of Hermes-Master), Alonius (OoH-Master), Hue de Frome (Verbena-Master), Lillian Weihl (Verbena-Master), Kwon Hsu (Akashic Brotherhood-Master)

Don’t be surprised when essentially every vaguely Asian sounding name is associated with the Akashic Brotherhood.

Background: This Cabal has existed for centuries, though those now associated joined long after its formation, and it is the oldest Cabal in residence. While they hold enormous power, they are no longer able to stave off potential usurpers, and are quickly losing power to the same tactics they once used: lies, deceit, conspiracy, blackmail, murder and more. While they cling to power, they put too much faith in their servants, many of whom are now secretly serving the three contenders to the throne: The Janissaries, the Followers of Bonisagus and the Followers of Tytalus.

While not the recognized leaders of the Chantry, the collective voice of the Cabal still holds tremendous sway in the council with three members sitting on the Panel of Deacons. They continue to strictly adhere to doing things by custom and the Chantries covenant. This has led Doissetep to gain a reputation for its adherence to the ancient practices of loyalty, honor and politics. Which has done nothing to push back the tides of greed, lust, hatred or secret disrespect.

The Cabal meets once a week to discuss the status of the Chantry and decides on the best course of action. They fear the other Cabals and know they will be assassinated if they appear to be too much of a threat. Two members have already made this mistake, and to keep themselves alive, the Cabal distracts its rivals by keeping the Chantry firmly locked in the Ascension War.

The Cabal has many loyal servants (except the ones who are selling them out) who serve as their eyes and ears everywhere, though their rivals have nonetheless kept a great degree of secrecy. They take an interest in all new entrants to the Chantry, with the intention to use them as pawns, and especially focus on field agents as the Cabal no longer leaves the Chantry for any reason, fearing ambush and assassination that could be easily blamed on the Technocracy.

Porthos

Greasy looking bastard
  • Nature: Martyr
  • Demeanor: Caregiver
  • Essence: Primordial
  • Tradition: Order of Hermes
  • Spheres: Correspondence 4/Entropy 5/Forces 6/Life 4/Mind 5/Matter 3/Prime 5/Spirit 4/Time 3
  • Willpower: 10
  • Arete: 9
  • Quintessence: 16
  • Paradox: 10

Background: Born to an urban crafting family in Breslau, Germany in 1403, Porthos became an alchemist, renowned for his elixirs that could cure everything from the common cold to the Black Death. A Mage from Doissetep recognized Porthos as an Orphan of tremendous power, and took him in.

Porthos wife and child were killed by Hermetic Mages of another Chantry, and while he sought revenge, he could not take the lives of those who had wronged him. This failure has haunted him ever since, and he has never forgiven himself for his own betrayal of his family.

He has dedicated his life to acquiring magical knowledge in the hopes of achieving either atonement or self-confidence. He has failed at both. Though he is incredibly powerful and generally a loving, fatherly figure, he still considers himself weak and unworthy. He takes a special interest in those that remind him of his lost children and occasionally suffers delusions that certain individuals are, in fact, his children, caring for them, watching over and scolding them as only a near Oracle father figure could. In many cases his “Fatherly punishments” have led to the death or insanity of his wards, which has done nothing but reinforce his guilt.

He does not like being part of the Panel of Deacons, as he fears betrayal and trickery from all, and while he has never intentionally killed anyone, he has sent plenty to their graves through his occasional lack of self-control. He manages to keep his political clout through sheer power and respect, as everyone fears him, not because he is devious or evil, but because he’s near omnipotent and crazy as gently caress.

Image: A gaunt man of average height, he has greasy, straight black hair that he rarely combs or washes. He has a penchant for antique bifocals and gray pinstriped suits with vests. He also wears a gold watch that tells the time of the location of a person he visualizes while looking at the watch. He also wears a platinum right with a large ruby which belonged to his mentor. Occasionally he can be found dancing naked in the halls and singing old folk songs, wandering around in a pink bathrobe or dressed in armor, claiming he is off to fight some mythical beast in another Realm, often returning with bizarre Tass.

Roleplaying Note: You’re a friendly, fatherly, honorable, gentle and completely batshit crazy wizard. Power radiates from you in a tangible aura, and when you get angry the static electricity is strong enough to cause others hair to stand on end. You protect and help those that remind you of your children while avoiding those you dislike. While you will defend yourself, you prefer not to kill. However, your sleepwalking raids are often deadly to any who happens to be wandering the halls at the time.

Sanctum: Porthos maintains a series of large, octagonal chambers made of mahogany and gold, varying in size with a central chamber over 100 feet across and 30 feet tall. These chambers are filled with magical devices, Talismans, fetishes, animal trophies, Tass in various forms, antiques and junk, several cats and countless books, beakers and vials.

Boy oh boy, I sure do love my wizards overpowered and bug-gently caress crazy! What could possibly go wrong with such a being?

The Janissaries

Members: Caeron Mustai (OoH-Master), Robin Herod (Verbena-Master), Geneva Bye (OoH-Master), Tokiko Anzue (Akashic Brotherhood-Master)

Background: The Janissaries trace their history as far back as the early 1700’s and became a highly respected addition to the Chantry shortly after their formation in Turkey, and their history is littered with great successes against the Technocracy.

Some would say that they are the real leaders of Doissetep, and that Caeron is the real leader of the Cabal. They wield great power and command even greater respect due to their prior tangles with the Technocracy. The Cabal is waiting for the right time to make their move against the Drua’shi, knowing the older Mages' schemes and playing along for now, hopeful that some other rival Cabal will do the job for them. They act with precision and unity, just the way Caeron wants, and Caeron always gets what he wants.

In the last few years, Caeron has claimed a seat on the Panel of Deacons, becoming its most outspoken member, especially loved by the younger Mages who have yet to tire of blood and battle. He fully backs the plans of Drua’shi, but this is subterfuge as his Cabal implements the plans and gets most of the credit for the success. The Cabal has spies everywhere, many of the household servants, especially among the Drua’shi and Tytalus are Janissaries spies. Caeron has begun using Rogues to carry out assassinations and has already removed one of the Drua’shi this way.

The Cabal are bitter enemies of the NWO, and they are the primary convention the Cabal focuses their attacks on in any outside conflict.

Caeron Mustai

Pretty sure I knew this guy in the 90’s
  • Nature: Architect
  • Demeanor: Visionary
  • Essence: Dynamic
  • Spheres: Correspondence 3/Entropy 3/Forces 5/Life 4/Matter 2/Mind 2/Prime 4/Spirit 3
  • Willpower: 9
  • Arete: 7
  • Quintessence: 14
  • Paradox: 6

Background: Born the son of a Bedouin leader in Syria, he was kidnapped by a Doissetep Mage 200 years ago when he was 12, where he was instructed in the ways of the Order of Hermes. In that time, he became one of the most powerful and ambitious Mages of the Chantry.

Over the last 200 years he’s been a soldier, a traveler, a sheik and a spy, and has served Doissetep well, and now he seeks to be repaid by the Chantry by being made undisputed leader, as either Pedagogue or as the Deacon with the most influence. While he has many enemies, his allies are secretive and nearly as many.

He has deluded himself, becoming a victim of his own hubris as he seeks to destroy the NWO, and if given the chance, he would turn Doissetep into a great war machine. He may soon put wheels into motion that cannot be stopped. He has few interests beyond political power, and his pastimes include killing Technomancers, discovering rare and perverse pleasures of the body, mind and spirit, and forming alliances with supernatural creatures. He always uses others, especially younger Mages as pawns, sending them on missions and collecting objects for him.

Image: Broad-shouldered, handsome and athletic, appearing to be in his mid-30’s, he has tanned skin, blue-black straight medium hair and a goatee. He dresses in stylish, custom fit suits for business, and jogging suits or jeans and a t-shirt when relaxing. He always walks with a quick pace and speaks in a deep, confident, accented voice.

Roleplaying Notes: You’re a highly adept political shark, friendly to the right people and never openly declaring your hatred for anyone. You prefer to do your own dirty work, sometimes in the shadows. You never reveal your secrets unless you gain greater knowledge in return, and you pick at others through feigned friendships or sharp and confusing conversations. In your mind there are only two kinds of people, enemies and potential enemies.

Sanctum: Caeron maintains a ten-room complex within the Chantry, decorated with antiques and many modern conveniences stolen from the Technocracy. He spends much of his time in the Barcelona aspect of the Chantry, where he is free from the threat of enemies telepathic probing, he can plot his strategies for continual accumulation of power.

The Fraternal Society of Bonisagus

Members: John Visballi (OoH-Master), Avis Malone (OoH-Master), Ronald Veatch (OoH-Master), Georgina Milono (OoH-Master)

Background: Founded shortly after the end of the Mythic Age, many of the Hermetics of House Bonisagus wished to keep their house and turned it into a fraternity. Over the centuries the fraternity has dwindled, and now only this Cabal carries the legacy of the once glorious House.

The members of the Cabal are ruthless conspirators and merciless fighters against the Technocracy, powerful and harsh in their dealings with those who openly oppose them. However, they are challenged by the Janissaries whose methods rival the Bonisagus in cunning and deadliness. The Cabal is unaware of the danger posed to them by the plans of the Glass Eye.

Their purpose is the destruction of Metropolis2, a Technocracy stronghold, and they constantly work towards this goal, providing freedom fighters in the Realm with as much food and equipment as they can smuggle in, and while they have numerous spies within the Realm, one of their spies is actually a Technocracy double agent, as well as having spies in both Doissetep and other Tradition Chantries.

The Cabal rarely spends time on political debate, preferring open action or covert favors. Avis Malone suspects that Doissetep has been infiltrated by Nephandi and is determined to find them.

Avis Malone

• Nature: Rebel
  • Demeanor: Traditionalist
  • Spheres: Entropy 2/Forces 5/Life 3/Mind 4/Matter 4/Prime 3/Spirit 3
  • Arete: 6
  • Quintessence: 18
  • Paradox: 2

Background: Born in San Francisco the illegitimate child of an opium dealer and a prostitute, she ran away from her mother and became a prostitute herself, soon learning she had the power to make others do as she wished. By reading the thoughts of her johns, she could give them pleasure, pain or simply kill them.

She left San Francisco and traveled the country until she reached New York, where one night a strange man came to her with an offer of a considerable sum of money if she would spend the weekend with him at his estate. Unable to refuse, she was taken to Doissetep and became his apprentice.

A strong-willed woman, she refuses to be bullied or controlled, and while she supports the political status quo, she is nonetheless ruthless and cunning, constantly striving for both political and magical power. A true rebel at heart, she studies Technocracy magic and knows how to use it to her advantage. Her ability to counter this magic, as well as working around Paradox are amazing and almost certainly the result of knowledge acquired from her enemies.

In her spare time, she enjoys photography, traveling the world to take pictures, and is quite skilled, with some of her photos appearing in bestselling magazines. She’s also known for her taste for sadomasochism, taking intense pleasure in conquering new apprentices she finds attractive, bold or charismatic, though her interest rapidly fades.

Image: A lithe and athletic woman in her early 40’s, she has long curly auburn hair and dresses in jeans, t-shirts and a black leather jacket bearing the House Bonisagus symbol. When taking part in official Chantry business she wears attractive dresses of the latest fashion. Her voice is soft and deep, commanding attention, though she rarely speaks among crowds. She wears sunglasses, a nose ring and frequently carries a handgun and camera when traveling abroad.

Roleplaying Notes: Rough and tough when you need to be (or when it’s fun), you are usually reserved, allowing John Visballi to lead the Bonsagai and represent the Cabal to the Chantry. You enjoy manipulating people to ascertain their attraction to you.

Sanctum: Avis’s sanctum covers an entire floor of the main castle, where she keeps her technology. Only one large room serves as a laboratory, while the others are very cozy and personal. She has a dog named Ambrose and a large, enclosed aquarium, filled with bizarre sea creatures from both Earth and other Umbral Realms. She also has an S&M room filled with various devices.

The Followers of Tytalus

Members: Klaus Hortremone (OoH-Master), Juanita Quave (OoH-Master), Leontine Overmyer (OoH-Master), Beatrice Rentschler (OoH-Master), Winifred Tiagonce (OoH-Master)

Background: A fraternal order like the Bonisagi and formed around the same time, they too have dwindled in size over the years, there are three other known Tytalus Cabals that do not hold membership with Doissetep. The Followers are also in contention for control of the Chantry, considering the Janissaries their primary rivals. They have been considering assassinating Caeron, but have yet to decide on when or even how to carry out this goal. Turns out Caeron is really good at staying alive.

The Tytali have other goals of course, such as returning the Tremere to the Order of Hermes after their abandonment of the order to become Kindred. Many Hermetics believe the Tytali are in league with various Tremere, if not the entire clan, and if that’s true, who knows what they’re planning?

The Tytali have long supported the Drua’shi because they support their efforts regarding the Tremere. Regardless, with the Cabal’s dwindling health and collapse inevitable, they have been forced into the fray for control over the Chantry, fearing the Janissaries will use the Chantry as a personal weapon, thus preventing the Tytali from achieving their Tremere related goals. The Cabal has a long-standing feud with the Bonisagi, fearing certain members are in league with Nephandi, though they despise the Janissaries more.

The Cabal enjoys competing amongst themselves and against other Cabals, quick to call for duels against those they can defeat and prove themselves magically superior to, while preferring conspiracy for those of greater power. They are considered very aggressive and violent in comparison to the other leading Cabals.

Klaus Hortemone

• Nature: Bravo
  • Demeanor: Director
  • Spheres: Entropy 4/Forces 5/Life 4/Mind 4/Prime 4/Spirit 3/Time 2
  • Ghoulish Powers: In addition to enhanced Physical attributes, he has the natural power to see in pitch darkness (Forces 1) and can grow claws and fangs at will (Life 3) as well as possessing two levels of Thaumaturgy.
  • Quintessence: 10
  • Paradox: 9

Background: Born into a noble Swiss house, he was formerly a manorial Lord, abbot of three Abbeys and Bishop of two bishoprics in France. He was selected by the Order of Hermes to become an apprentice at the age of 40 as his wealth and influence could help the declining Chantry.

He enjoys testing himself and strives to develop his mind, body, soul and Arete beyond that of his fellow Mages, hoping to become as great and powerful as possible. He is also an expert swordsman and master of fencing who trains and spars with many of the Chantries inhabitants.

He has a deep interest in stage magic and uses it as a shield against paradox. He spends a great deal of time on Earth and has strong connections to the Tremere. He is, in fact an independent ghoul, having collected a great amount of Kindred vitae through his work. He hopes to one day reunite the Tremere and the Order of Hermes, directing most of his efforts to this goal. His loyalties may lie with Doissetep, but he is not above entangling young Mages in missions for the Tremere against other Clans, paying generously for the dangerous work.

Image: A stocky but athletic man in his 50’s with short silver-gray hair and bright emerald eyes, he has scar on his face from an old sword injury. He never displays emotion of any kind and is always a well composed gentleman who speaks with a mixed French/German accent, and when speaking about magic, lapses into Latin.

Roleplaying Notes: You’re always in control and never lose your cool or display open hatred, love or fear. The only time you laugh, or smile is when fencing, your true love. You are a manipulator and killer, but you’ve never wavered from your path of Ascension.

Sanctum: A labyrinthine complex below the Chantry is where Hortemone makes his sanctum, and rumor has it he’s one of the few Mages in Doissetep who knows every secret passage and tunnel and where they lead. The sanctum is like a modern home, with many antiques, including a study full of books, televisions that can pick up early broadcasts and various Talismans of great power. He has a live-in manservant named Clive.

The Glass Eye

Members: Walter Thrun (Euthanatos-Master), Julianno Galbrese (OoH-Master), Christophe Fenaes (Verbena-Master), Marian Rampullo (Cult of Ecstasy-Master), Aido-Wedo Magnum (Verbena-Master)

Background: The Glass Eye formed 150 years ago, serving as the lead Cabal of Sentinels. Its members proved so dedicated and skilled that the Cabal was given the permanent position of Chantry security. The Cabal acts like an external police force whose authority is only second to the Drua’shi. Additionally, they are now the overseers of the Horizon Realm and its inhabitants, guarding the Portals and serving as liaisons to other Chantries.

Secretly, they wish to control Doissetep, though it has kept this quiet, to the point that none are aware they are responsible for the death of one of the Drua’shi. They are not above murder, extortion or bribery, though usually it is done in the name of the Chantry. The Cabal members are deeply loyal to each other and are slowly ingratiating themselves with members of the other leading Cabals.

They have spies everywhere and are in league with two Nephandus and three Technomancers. As these Mages are not loyal to their causes, they barter with the Eye, supplying information concerning the activities of the Nephandi and Technocracy. The best informed of all the Cabals, the Eye shares much of their knowledge with the Drua’shi, and some with rival Cabals, putting all sides in their debt. While they feign loyalty to the rival Cabals, they refuse to openly display any loyalties, instead waiting for the rival powers to eliminate each other so they can take over.

Aida-Wedo Mangum

• Nature: Caregiver
  • Demeanor: Caregiver
  • Tradition: Verbena
  • Spheres: Entropy 4/Forces 3/Life 5/Mind 4/Prime 4/Spirit 5/Time 5
  • Quintessence: 15
  • Paradox: 5

Background: A priestess of the Ibo tribe in Africa before being captured by the allies of slave traders who traded her for rum, Aido’s time as a slave on a Saint Domingue sugar farm was worse than other plantations, and her ability to provide her fellow slaves with a sense of hope and self-respect made her a threat. She was a founder of Vodun and through her efforts, the disparate, formerly enemy tribes were united under a common spiritual belief.

Her role in the creation of Vodun drew the notice of a Verbena Mage who purchased, then freed and mentored Aida. She quickly picked up the teachings as they perfectly meshed with what she already knew from being a tribal priestess and Mambo. An excellent student, she later used what she learned to aid Toussant L’Overture, Henri Cristophe and others in the uprising that freed Haiti from the French, and to this day she keeps an interest in Haiti and the West Indies. While she has not been able to restore Aristide to power, she is trying.

In the 1800’s she spent much of her time living and socializing among the freed black and Creole communities of New Orleans, and in the 1850’s assisted with the Underground Railroad. Today she continues to fight for the downtrodden, with her focus on equality among the races and sexes, as well as providing money and assistance to help abused and runaway children.

She has not given up her goal of Ascension, and it has rewarded her more than hubris could. Aida attempts to befriend all Mages who enter the Chantry and assists young Mages as long as they do not become dependent on her, or use her for their own gains. Despite this, she has made many personal enemies among the Mages of Doissetep, as she is not afraid of doing what needs to be done, understanding intrigue and when to use it. While she’s never taken a life without a good reason, she’s ruined numerous schemes and brought down more than a few powerful wizards.

Image: A short, elderly black woman in her mid-60’s, she’s slightly overweight and wears her white hair in a bun and wears plain dresses or the occasional traditional African robes. She nearly always has a smile on her face and speaks with a slight French accent. An odd aspect of her appearance that no one has commented on is that she appears to be getting younger and improving in health. This effect is a result of an elixir she developed that ages the drinker to the age they feel in their heart. With this potion, it’s possible she could return to her mid-20’s, a time when she was a vibrant and attractive woman of influence and power.

Roleplaying Notes: You seem like a caring, maternal figure but there is more to you than that. You know how to have a good time and continue to attend various social functions on Earth as well as keeping close relations with your descendants, including one you intended to take on as an apprentice. You will trust characters so long as they deserve trust and aid when presented with problems contrary to your view of Ascension. Those foolish enough to make you an enemy see their personal schemes for power backfire with distressing regularity until they make amends or prove their sincerity to your satisfaction.

Sanctum: A single large wood paneled room with low tables, Japanese screens and dozens of plants nurtured by sunlight that comes from an unknown source. The room has a pleasant cinnamon smell and colorful, hand-woven carpets everywhere.

The Eye of the Storm

Members: Vigenza Garcia (OoH-Master), Syed Pinckey (Sons of Ether-Master) Eve Haisten (Verbena-Master), Suzanna Quintana (OoH-Master) Ohren Brune (OoH-Master), Chon Won (AB-Master)

Background: Established in the 1400’s, its current membership aggressively brings the fight to the Technocracy, as all members have lost much in the war. The Eye is now dedicated to the destruction of the Technocracy. They are loyal to Doissetep, and while they do not wish to control the Chantry, they also haven’t chosen to support another Cabal’s bid for leadership.

A militant Cabal, they spend much of their time in the field and have brought down a Technocracy outpost on their own. They are true warriors with hearts of steel, and have little use for spies, though they have numerous contacts. The members are very mysterious individuals, though their ferocity precedes them. The Eye concentrates its efforts on Iteration X and the NWO, as well as making long term enemies out of a Progenitors Amalgam as the genetic masters have proven especially difficult to kill permanently.

Syed Pinckey

• Nature: Deviant
  • Demeanor: Fanatic
  • Essence: Questing
  • Tradition: Sons of Ether
  • Spheres: Correspondence 2/Entropy 2/Forces 4/Life 4/Mind 5/Matter 5/Prime 4/Spirit 5
  • Willpower: 6
  • Quintessence: 10
  • Paradox: 10

Background: A surgeon and barber in the mid-1800’s, Dr. Pinckney’s “experiments” eventually caught the attention of a Doissetep Son of Ether who took him under his wing and trained him in the ways of the Tradition. Syed learned the “alternate science” of the Sons and began applying it to his work, eventually giving up his practice and dedicating himself solely to the study of his Traditions magic. Through his efforts at Doissetep, he has achieved great acclaim and power.

His experiments often use unsuspecting Sleepers he recruits as assistants, making his labs places of death, discovery and far, far worse. His latest field of study is psyche-reshaping, developing devices that will allow him to reprogram the beliefs and personalities of his test subjects. He’s been partially successful and hopes to develop new emotions never experienced to unleash upon the Technocracy. However, those who know little of his experiments fear he will use his devices on Tradition Mages. And even if Syed himself doesn’t, what’s to stop other Sons of Ether, or Doissetep from doing so? Or perish the thought, it falls into the hands of the Technocracy or some other enemy faction?

loving wizards, never asking if they should do something, only if they can.

In addition to his current research, Syed has taken a keen interest in the cavernous complexes that riddle the Earth’s crust, and his hobby of rock collecting has led to several encounters with Wyrm things living below the earth, and in turn, leading Syed to fanatically research the nature of the Wyrm, often using younger Mages to handle these “Fact-Finding” missions into Wyrm tunnels.

Image: Syed has a scarecrow like build, with short straight black hair and brown eyes. He wears thick, black framed glasses for his myopia, and dresses in old-fashioned suits, or a button-up dress shirt, tie, slacks and a (regularly blood splattered) white lab coat when working. He moves around a lot when talking and generally has a nervous demeanor.

Hobgoblins: Syed has a Hobgoblin that is a 14-year-old version of himself. It is a lusty brat going through puberty that pesters every woman in the Chantry. Worse, “Woody” as the staff have affectionately taken to calling him, runs around the chantry nude and constantly plays practical jokes on people. Dr. Pinckney feels very uncomfortable about “Woody” but has been unable to get rid of it.

That’s a long way to go for a dick joke.

Roleplaying Notes: You are the stereotypical mad scientist, ranting endlessly about experiments and spending days on end without food or sleep while working on projects, you take failure miserably. While you keep a gentlemanly composure most of the time, you are always excited and obsessed with some new research or experiment.

Sanctum: Dr. Pinckney has a large sanctum on one of the upper floors of the Chantries main keep, and it is almost always a mess despite the efforts of the brace staff who try to pick up after him. It is filled with gadgets, beakers, tubes, wires, nameless appliances and tools. Half-eaten, days-old food lies on the floor and only the bedroom is in any way organized or clean, as he seldom uses it for more than a crash space. He has three large containment machines built into the sanctum with large antennae protruding from the side of the keep collecting electricity Elementals for use in experiments.

The Society of the Esoteric Answer

Members: Virgil Endrina (OoH-Master), Yu-Chian Chou (AB-Master) Katsuhiro Kawamoto (AB-Master)

Background: Founded 20 years ago with the purpose to seek Ascension, the Cabal does this through study and contemplation, as well as spending a time traveling everywhere they possibly can. The members have survived many conflicts with supernatural threats ranging from zombies and demons to Wraiths and Garou.

They control many supernatural creatures that they use in their quest, and the Society does not want power of its own sake but does have some influence among certain groups of supernatural's on Earth. They primarily study these creatures and analyze their magical nature.

The Society is believed to be closely aligned with the Arcanum and is said to share information with many of their leading members. They occasionally carry out missions for Doissetep against the Nephandi and other creatures but confronts the Technocracy only when they stand in the way of their quest for Ascension.

Virgil Endrina

• Nature: Bon Vivant
  • Demeanor: Avant-Garde
  • Spheres: Forces 5/Life 3/Mind 2/Matter 4/Prime 3/Spirit 5/Time 5
  • Willpower: 8
  • Quintessence: 16
  • Paradox: 4

Background: Virgil Endrina was a knight of the Order of Calatrava (A Castilian religious/military order), who despite fighting valiantly against the Saracens, was accused of devil worship. While innocent of the charges, he was still tried by the Inquisition. In a daring rescue attempt led by a fellow knight (who was a companion to one of the Mages of Doissetep), a group of Mages from Doissetep assaulted the trial and rescued Endrina and three others.

When the Mages discovered Virgil’s magical potential, they offered him an opportunity to serve as a companion which he accepted, eventually taking it upon himself to learn magic from the various Mages who offered their knowledge freely. After 30 years of study, he was a masterless, self-taught Hermetic Mage, and had achieved success in developing a longevity elixir.

Virgil has remained a loyal member of Doissetep ever since and has a great deal of influence within the Chantry. This may be because he never became power hungry like many older Mages. He is a swordsmith with 100 years of study in both Kyoto and Toledo and makes Talismans and fetishes for those who do services for him. He is deeply interested in studying the Fey and Marauders, and has become the unofficial spokesman to both groups, spending centuries seeking a truce with a group of Marauders but has been unsuccessful so far. He has been successful in turning these potential allies into pawns against enemies of the Chantry, earning him a place of power and respect within its walls.

Image: A brawny, large chested man with bronze skin, long, shiny black hair and a golden patriarchal cross earring that represents his continued belief in Catholicism despite his Arete and experiences. He wears his hair tied back with a red ribbon and generally dresses in jeans, button up shirts and boots, looking more like a ranch hand than a wizard or former knight. He carries a powerful fetish sword named Latarigus which stays hidden in a pocket Realm until needed.

Roleplaying Notes: You’re a friendly, down to earth fellow who would rather discuss horses than magic, and you’re very masculine in a coarse way. While you’re friendly, you’ve learned to be suspicious of all newcomers until you know more about them. You are very moral and continue to live by your knightly code of honor.

Sanctum: Endrina lives in a two-story stone building attached to the main keep. The lower level serves as his stables with the upper floor serving as his home. The smell of the stables is blocked via magic (naturally), and he has a sword foundry, laboratory, a large bedroom, private library, den and dining room. He spends most of his time either abroad or in his sanctum.

The Crucible of Thig - The Ruby Children

Members: David Kavannagh (AB-Master), Sharad Osei (OoH-Master), Sarah Rao (OoH-Adept), Ulice Scott (Dreamspeakers-Master) Vanessa Rosser (OoH-Adept), Malcolm Sebaugh (Orphan-Adept), Altimeas Cowing (OoH-Adept), Beulah Frith (OoH-Adept), Teodora Maldonado (Verbena-Disciple), Marvin Thigpin (OoH-Disciple)

Background: Founded as a mystery sect in the early 1700’s, the “C.o.T” grew into a larger society with its own Sleeper mystery sect. Based in Manchester, England, the CoT has a few chapters in the US. The Cabal that resides in Doissetep is one of three Cabals that make up the CoT.

The Ruby Children, Doissetep’s branch, maintains several customs and practices, with the Cabal readily accepting new members, though leaving the group is…problematic as they seek Ascension through occult means, while others feel they are missing the point. Members seldom unite for a cause and the Cabal has its own internal cliques and intrigues. Two members made plans to gain power but were quickly put down by the Tytali.

The Ruby Children put loyalty to the Cabal above loyalty to the Chantry, though they have always been willing servants of Doissetep, serving faithfully in numerous missions against the Technocracy. Most members spend their free time studying, and the group meets once a week. Once a month on a full moon, they hold mysterious ceremonies at one of the Chantries Earthly Nodes.

Altimeas Cowing

• Demeanor: Deviant
  • Spheres: (Variable, based on sanity. The more insane, the more powerful) Entropy 2-4/Forces 3-4/Life 2-4/Mind 3-4/Prime 2/Spirit 2-4
  • Willpower: (Variable) Insane 8, Sane 3
  • Arete: (Variable) Insane 5, Sane 3

Background: Altimeas was never liked by the other kids in school because he was “different”, and even his parents and teachers knew something was off about him after they discovered he’d brought the remains of his dog, Snoodles, to school to explain how he’d tortured it to death. His family quickly started taking him to a psychiatrist, though it did little good. After another year of morbid games and psychotic episodes he was placed in a sanitarium.

His Avatar was accidentally awoken by Technomancer shock treatments, and over the course of the next three years he gained greater control of his Avatar, making him immensely powerful, though it seemed his control over magic was linked to his sanity. As he became saner, his power over his Avatar dwindled. After growing tired of the sanitarium, he forced his doctors to release him.

A year earlier his mother, father and baby brother were killed in a car accident, thanks to Altimeas’ unusual experiments with controlling spirits. With no one to stop his release, he walked out into an unsuspecting world and began having fun.

While traveling through Detroit, he rescued a Doissetep Mage who had been captured by an NWO outpost that Altimeas had been terrorizing. While this may have seemed like an altruistic act, he was simply curious about the Hermetic. After being rescued, the Mage offered to take Altimeas back to Doissetep to be an apprentice. He agreed and has remained in the Chantry ever since.

While his insanity has proven incurable, it is somewhat treatable, and he now has much greater control. However, he’s taken to raising rats and believes himself to be an agent of a being he calls the “Rat God” who supposedly relayed this information to him via his 100’s of pets. He has never revealed this secret mission to anyone out of fear of being cast out of the Chantry, or worse. He spends most of his time in his room reading and studying magic.

Somehow, I feel like being the servant of something called the “Rat God” is less likely to get you booted from a Chantry than the whole being a psychopath who killed his parents via magic but what the gently caress do I know.

Image: Thin fellow in his teens, he’s very plain looking with medium brown hair and brown eyes, dressing in jeans and collared shirts. He is soft spoken and shy, a recluse who acts normally and is generally unnoticed by his fellow Mages.

Roleplaying Notes: You’re usually sane, though still bizarre. You no longer revert to your cruel and twisted ways. You avoid most people, but those who attempt to befriend you find that you’re unswervingly loyal. Aside from the belief that you are a minion of a rat deity, you are perfectly sane.

Except for the part where he killed his dog and his family. That seems pretty loving insane to me.

Sanctum: Altimeas has a small apartment in the keep that is very neat and organized with most of the conveniences of Earth. He also keeps his rats in cages here. None are allowed into his sanctum, not matter how well liked they are.

The Golden Dragons

Members: Tomoyuki Hashimoto (Dreamspeakers-Master), Kunio Ashida (AB-Master), Shih Feng (Dreamspeakers-Adept), Karoe Hashiba (Celestial Chorus-Adept), Risaburo Kawamoto (AB-Disciple), Tsun-Hsiung Kao (Virtual Adept-Master)

Background: Established 200 years ago, the Cabal was originally based in Japan, but its members immigrated to the US in the 1870’s, establishing a squatter Chantry in New Jersey before being offered membership at Doissetep. They now have the duty of protecting Sleepers from the Nephandi and the Technocracy.

The Golden Dragon members decided to use wealth as a means of accomplishing their task, and now control a number of Japanese corporations, as well as a couple in the US. Several Syndicate run companies, two Yakuza clans and a “Mysterious company called Pentex” have all battled the Dragons, and how the Cabal has lived to tell the tale remains a mystery.

The Cabal is not interested in the politics of Doissetep, instead focusing on their own success and accomplishing missions. While very loyal, they are competitive, and they meet every morning to discuss agendas. Recently they have met with strong resistance from Pentex who have seemingly infiltrated the Dragons companies and learned of the Mages’ involvement. The Cabal has figured out that their rival has supernatural ties and fear they have jeopardized the security of Doissetep in the process. They are keeping this information extremely quiet.

Kunio Ashida

• Nature: Architect
  • Demeanor: Director
  • Tradition: Akashic Brotherhood
  • Spheres: Correspondence 2/Entropy 3/Forces 4/Life 4/Mind 5/Matter 2/Prime 4/Spirit 1/Time 2
  • Quintessence: 18
  • Paradox: 2

Background: A former Buddhist monk, Ashida was taken in by the Mages of Doissetep in the mid 1600’s and trained by the Akashic Brotherhood. Since then, he has been a Japanese warlord, a VP and spy within Pentex owned companies and a cult leader. He is also the representative of the Chantry when dealing with the Yakuza and the Gaki. He is currently the CEO of a Megacorps dedicated to crushing the Syndicate and Pentex.

Kunio is a powerful man with a keen understanding of spiritual and practical matters, spending much of his time overseeing the operations of his company while also making time to study magic, Do, military strategy, history, philosophy, comparative religions, and criminal science.

He has many allies and well as enemies among the Gaki and Glass Walkers of Japan and controls his own cult of Acolyte terrorists who carry out his every order, preying on unsuspecting Pentex subsidiaries.

Image: A slight, athletically built man in his late 40’s, he has black hair and amber eyes, dressed typically in expensive, custom fit suits, and he moves with grace and precision.

Roleplaying Notes: You have an imposing presence despite your size and appear to be very self-confident and with a head for business. You are kind to all but hate to be bothered and have little time to waste on trivialities.

Sanctum: Kunio keeps a small set of chambers within the keep, decorated in a plain but elegant traditional Japanese style, as well as an office that is set apart from the apartment where he meets with other members of the Chantry, especially his Cabal. The office is very western and modern, filled with fax machines, computers, and televisions broadcasting 24-hour news channels.

The Society of the Case-Hardened Soul

Members: Mack Freeman (OoH-Adept) Misako Hatanka (AB-Adept) Felicia Thomas (SoE-Disciple), Leroy Alderman (Verbena-Adept) Jeffrey Jackson (Celestial Chorus-Adept)

Background: Formed only five years ago by survivors of personal suffering at the hands of Iteration X, the Cabal now seeks the Conventions' destruction. They are magical terrorists and loose cannons, but they get the job done.

FREEMAN! TURN IN YOUR WAND AND BADGE!

They are an efficient and cohesive Cabal, and most of their missions have been successful because of this. They do not seek to control Doissetep, as they know they have no chance. The Cabal has considered starting their own Chantry, for fear of the Masters growing tired of their inability to follow orders. Ironically, the Cabals' members are better respected than they know, as their successes reap great rewards within the Chantries halls and various rival factions are seeking the Cabals' support. Currently they are leaning towards the Bonasagi as the two groups have similar goals and have worked together on several missions.

Mack Freeman

• Nature: Bravo
  • Demeanor: Rebel
  • Spheres: Correspondence 2/Entropy 3/Forces 4/Life 4/Mind 2/Matter 3/Prime 2

Background: A former insurance salesman from Mason City, Illinois, Mack was taken to Doissetep by a Hermetic at the age of 29. He was already Awakened at this point and had been pursued by the NWO who kidnapped and murdered his parents and sister. He proved to be a good student, turning his anger into his studies and dreaming of the day he would avenge his family.

He originally belonged to the Crucible of Thig but left to create the Case-Hardened Soul after discovering other Orphans whose lives had been destroyed by the Technocracy. He has become a contact for the freedom fighter Sons of Ether in Metropolis2, and implacably destroys any Technomancer activities he discovers. His personal interests include becoming as magically powerful as fast as he can, to better increase his destructive abilities, finding the secret to immortality, accumulating wealth, bodybuilding and creating reanimated servants to act as unthinking shock troops. While he’s taken little interest in the politics of the Chantry, he will eventually, and when he does, he’ll prove himself as ruthless as every other power seeker.

Image: A burly man in his mid-30’s with medium length dark brown hair and dark blue eyes. He looks more like a lumberjack than a Mage, visibility displaying his emotions at all times. When angry, he suffers a permanent Paradox effect, of his eyes glowing and blue electricity flashing back and forth between his teeth. When wounded in this state, bursts of energy blast from his wounds, injuring anyone close to him.

Roleplaying Notes: You chew tobacco and have a habit of spitting on things you don’t like, including people's feet. While rough, you are generally friendly to new Mages, especially those with a hatred of the Technocracy. You’re also a very emotional individual, but also very tenacious and dedicated. Nothing stands in your way for long.

Sanctum: Mack lives in the Fugeson Estate in upstate New York and maintains a sanctum in Doissetep that is comfortable but lacks any sense of decor. His pet rottweilers, Sodom and Gomorrah, serve as his friends, pets and guards. Gomorrah is expecting puppies and Mack is looking for anyone interested in taking one.

Quite the collection of NPCs hanging out in this Chantry, and as we move from the top of the Doissetep hierarchy down, I find the Cabals much more interesting. The Dura’shi are about what I expect from a group of high-powered Mages, accomplishing not a whole lot other than being paranoid, while the lower-level groups are actually doing interesting things that aren’t just politicking for power within the Chantry. There’s an Ascension War happening you dorks, stop in-fighting and deal with the Technocracy!

Tomorrow: Even more words about Doissetep :dogstare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They did a bunch of novels with Porthos. Or, like, enough that my high school friend never stopped talking about Porthos. Until he got really into Wicca and decided he liked the Verbena better.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There weren't really that many with the greasy bastard - he was killed off in 1997 (though he has a role in some later material too) in Weinberg's second trilogy, so if I ever finish the first's FnF we might actually see it in this thread. As my memory (and database) serves, he didn't really appear in any other novels.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Libertad! posted:

For example, the Shamir is a wormlike being whose mere gaze can cut through stone and metal, and Solomon used it for constructing the First Temple.

Found a picture of this happy little guy. Why didn't he become a staple D&D monster/magic item? Using a monster's gaze attack to solve problems seems remarkably like a PC's plan.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Found a picture of this happy little guy. Why didn't he become a staple D&D monster/magic item? Using a monster's gaze attack to solve problems seems remarkably like a PC's plan.

As someone with only passing familiarity with Christianity, it does feel like official canonical biblical text has a sad lack of Cool Monsters and poo poo in it. Like we have the Leviathan somewhere in Job (explicitly already killed by God himself at the dawn of time), we have weird angels in Ezekiel (good guys), we have all the zany bullshit in Revelation (don't exist yet), and that's pretty much it? Other world mythologies have all sorts of cool monsters you can put in an RPG, but the Bible for the most part has, like, lions and a Giant that's maybe 6'9.

e: I guess there's cool stuff in non-canonical folklore and various apocrypha, but that feels like a cop-out.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 3, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I remember seeing an article somewhere that talks about this, arguing that the Jewish tradition in general is uncomfortable with the idea of supernatural beings that aren't closely connected to God.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
To be fair, we really don't know what was in the Bible to begin with. Maybe there was a war against giant termite creatures but some dork monk named something like Brundson the Funt just find-and-replaced them all with "Romans" because King Jimothy XII was born missing the part of his brain that responds rationally to termites and they didn't want him suddenly dying of the vapor shakes during Tuesday Mass.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

To be fair, we really don't know what was in the Bible to begin with. Maybe there was a war against giant termite creatures but some dork monk named something like Brundson the Funt just find-and-replaced them all with "Romans" because King Jimothy XII was born missing the part of his brain that responds rationally to termites and they didn't want him suddenly dying of the vapor shakes during Tuesday Mass.

That's not really how it works. Textual criticism has catalogued variations/corruptions across various manuscripts pretty extensively, and there definitely weren't universally propagated drastic changes like that in the Middle Ages!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

Well yeah, they had to edit the termites out. It would be offensive to that one civilization of giant intelligent ants that Solomon met that one time.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite kind of biblical creature is the giant kaiju frog from the Torah. You see, when the Torah talks about the plague of frogs, it actually uses the singular for frog, so the only logical conclusion is that God sent Frogzilla to plague Egypt. Most rabbinical commentators agree that the frog later summoned reinforcements, either by making noise or spitting out smaller frogs. The Little Midrash goes with the latter interpretation:

This is the perfect setup for an RPG scenario.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amanda was, I believe, Kathleen Ryan's own character so you'll see her pop up a lot going through older Mage stuff. There's a big story about her past in the opening of Mage 2E but not a whole lot after although if I remember right Ryan got to send her off in Ascension, which is nice.

Doisstep is weird. It's just so chock a block full of OP Mages that it never really felt like a PC group could get much done there, save get quests and such I suppose. Maybe if you're big into your PCs doing a lot of chatting and you're willing to flesh out the other several dozen NPCs who just get named these hypothetical PCs might enjoy hobnobbing. My one Mage game we never went there, too busy fighting somebody... in Chicago. They'll come up.

Porthos was never as big a deal as one might imagine. Somebody else in the book (no, sadly not him) would be a big threat to the setting going forth.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bel and the Dragon which may or may not be in your bible depending on your denomination, does have a dragon but the story is mostly about how it's just a dumb animal unworthy of worship.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Amanda was, I believe, Kathleen Ryan's own character so you'll see her pop up a lot going through older Mage stuff. There's a big story about her past in the opening of Mage 2E but not a whole lot after although if I remember right Ryan got to send her off in Ascension, which is nice.

Doisstep is weird. It's just so chock a block full of OP Mages that it never really felt like a PC group could get much done there, save get quests and such I suppose. Maybe if you're big into your PCs doing a lot of chatting and you're willing to flesh out the other several dozen NPCs who just get named these hypothetical PCs might enjoy hobnobbing. My one Mage game we never went there, too busy fighting somebody... in Chicago. They'll come up.

Porthos was never as big a deal as one might imagine. Somebody else in the book (no, sadly not him) would be a big threat to the setting going forth.

How dare you fight with my precious Chicago Cabal :colbert: they are cool and good and my favorite Cabal in the book.

And I have a lot to say in my wrap up of Doissetep but that's for tomorrow...I think....I don't remember how it broke down, I've got a bunch of tabs with chunks of review formatted for easy posting each day :eng101:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

How dare you fight with my precious Chicago Cabal :colbert: they are cool and good and my favorite Cabal in the book.

We all wanted to be Kurt Russell on some level.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

We all wanted to be Kurt Russell on some level.

Ohhhhhh That Chicago Cabal. Somehow that chantry being in Chicago slipped right out of my head

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Asterite34 posted:

As someone with only passing familiarity with Christianity, it does feel like official canonical biblical text has a sad lack of Cool Monsters and poo poo in it. Like we have the Leviathan somewhere in Job (explicitly already killed by God himself at the dawn of time), we have weird angels in Ezekiel (good guys), we have all the zany bullshit in Revelation (don't exist yet), and that's pretty much it? Other world mythologies have all sorts of cool monsters you can put in an RPG, but the Bible for the most part has, like, lions and a Giant that's maybe 6'9.

e: I guess there's cool stuff in non-canonical folklore and various apocrypha, but that feels like a cop-out.

http://esotericarchives.com/solomon/lemegeton.htm

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yeah, I'm not sure that's in the canon of any denomination a person would reasonably call "mainstream." Like I'm not gonna go to Sunday Mass and hear the preacher tell me to open my Bible up to the Ars Goetia. At least not around here, I dunno, maybe church is way cooler in your neighborhood.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Book of Enoch has more creepy angels in it, and is canon in Ethiopia.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Ohhhhhh That Chicago Cabal. Somehow that chantry being in Chicago slipped right out of my head

Joyless! I'm surprised at you! Thinking I'd ever take part in harming one precious dyed jet black hair on their heads. :allears:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Joyless! I'm surprised at you! Thinking I'd ever take part in harming one precious dyed jet black hair on their heads. :allears:

You never know, Storytellers are wild and unpredictable creatures.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's in the canon of any denomination a person would reasonably call "mainstream." Like I'm not gonna go to Sunday Mass and hear the preacher tell me to open my Bible up to the Ars Goetia. At least not around here, I dunno, maybe church is way cooler in your neighborhood.

And if you do maybe look for the exits, if I remember my Charles Stross, before you end up summoning Nyarlathotep.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SkeletonHero posted:

Um

You know Jews exist and many of our scholars can read Aramaic and Hebrew, right

And have extensive commentaries and discussions of cool mythic poo poo

Christians just don’t listen to us

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

After the PCs finish their long rest, Azrael will have deposited Ashmedai in a prison near the end of time. He and the party will be summoned back to the room with seven Lampstands, one of their fires no longer burning. The Reapers' next mission is as follows: the Woman is in labor and giving birth to the Child under the protection of the archangel Michael. A seven-headed Dragon seeks to kill her in this moment of weakness. “Find the Path. Resist the Dragon. Protect the Woman.”

But the PCs and Azrael won’t be alone in this: the lampstand’s fire will open a portal to a room filled with Elders, valiant people of God who have passed on but turned down the final path to Heaven so that they may continue to do good work in the rest of reality. The book explains that it should be up to the PCs who they choose, but in asking for guidance the above quoted text is repeated.

The Woman is an Enigma of mystery, and even the oldest celestials don’t know the truth, nor where to find her at the moment. What is known is that she is faith made manifest. The fact that the Woman is giving birth is a momentous event, even if most don’t know the specifics of its significance. There’s a sidebar offering various suggestions for her true identity,such as her as Eve being eternally at war with the serpent (who is thus reflected as the Dragon) or the personification of the global Christian community. Her current location with Michael is in the Veil, hundreds of light-years away from Earth. While she cannot be located via the Book of Souls, there are various means of finding her: Find the Path spell will automatically lead to her, using the Book of Souls to track Michael instead can also work, and using lower-level divination spells such as Locate Creature and Commune require bending the physics of the Veil or succeeding on an Arcana check. Otherwise, a skill challenge can be done, such as charting a course through space via Nature, History or Religion to find meaning in scriptural verses and prophecies, or sussing out otherwise nonsense patterns in the Book of Souls via Perception or Survival.

If the PCs succeed in finding the Woman without taking a short or long rest, they manage to catch up to her and Michael before the Dragon has arrived. Otherwise they arrive with combat having already begun, giving them no time to prepare and the Woman and archangel already having taken damage. As this combat takes place in the middle of space, PCs who don’t have a means of gaining a fly speed are given a Mantle of the Reaper to make up for this.

The Dragon is actually one of the forms of Satan himself, and is actually the final boss of this adventure. However, he and the Woman both have abilities which cancel out each other’s Legendary Actions and Resistances, and since the Woman cannot concentrate on spells due to giving birth, both beings are very limited in what they do for this encounter. That being said, the Dragon is still very powerful, and the goal isn’t to defeat the Dragon but to protect the Woman for three rounds, which gives her and the baby enough time to escape.

In terms of stats Michael the Archangel is a very powerful CR 21 celestial. He has a fast fly speed, loads of hit points (243), 21 AC, stellar ability scores with Dexterity being the lowest at 22, and can attack 3 times with a unique longsword that prevents struck targets from regaining hit points for 24 hours. He also has an assortment of “holy magic” spells like Resurrection, Flame Strike, and Commune, legendary actions, and once per day can Pronounce Judgment to make a creature suffer either disadvantage on saving throws, make all attack rolls gain advantage on the target, or damaging attacks deal 7 extra radiant damage. This last ability cannot be resisted.

The Woman is a more fragile yet still powerful entity. She has 238 hit points, 16 AC, and her lowest ability scores are Constitution and Intelligence at 20. She is also a 20th level spellcaster, having mostly Cleric-style spells such as Greater Restoration and Holy Aura. She is immune to spells of 6th level and lower unless she wants to be affected, advantage on saves vs all other magical effects, can change shape into a Medium size teenage girl (she’s Gargantuan normally), and once per day can Restore Faith. This last ability is an encouraging phrase that grants a permanent benefit to a single target: having a Flaw reduced or removed, +1 to an ability score, a new proficiency, or a new Boon or Blessing.* Finally, her Legendary actions include granting a target +5 on their next saving throw, throwing a Crown of Stars as a ranged attack dealing radiant damage, casting a spell of 5th level or lower, or “Let it be done” where each creature of her choice has advantage on attacks, saves, and ability checks until the start of her next turn. Additionally, if at least one creature continuously prays to God which takes the form of concentrating on a spell, the Woman has resistance to all damage (she will tell them as much during combat). Overall, an extremely powerful “support” character.

*But she won’t use it until much later in the campaign, during a plot-relevant moment.

However, the only action she will be using in this battle is Suppress Power, which causes each creature of her choice within 240 feet to be unable to use features or abilities that contain the word “Legendary” in its name. And the Dragon has a similar ability, Preeminent Suppression, that eliminates her legendary actions, but this doesn’t require any action on his part.

Now let’s cover the Dragon. While technically Gargantuan size, each of his seven heads is treated as a Huge size creature on the game mat and can move independent of each other up to 50 feet per turn despite otherwise sharing the same stats and overall action economy. Satan has 666 hit points, appropriately enough, 20 AC, a mere 10 Dexterity (and no proficiency in Dexterity saves) but every other ability score of his is 26 to 32, meaning his non-DEX saving throws are through the roof. He’s immune to quite a bit of conditions as well as fire, necrotic, and nonmagical physical attacks. He has a similar limited magical immunity as the Woman, and his major attacks include making a number of bite attacks equal to his active heads which individually deal a moderate amount of damage but with +19 to hit he’s practically guaranteed to strike. The Dragon also has a rechargeable breath weapon from each of his active heads (can only be damaged once) that deals damage as well as forced movement. Finally, he can also perform Call of the Unworthy in conjunction with his bites, an AoE effect that deals psychic damage on a failed save where targets are overwhelmed by their sins and feels deep despair.

The Dragon has a variety of Legendary Actions, but I figure those are best saved for the final battle of this campaign. So what’s this about “active heads?” Well if the Dragon fails a saving throw against something that would otherwise reduce the amount of actions it has such as stunned, paralysis, sleep, and so on, one of the heads is affected and thus is taken out of commission during the fight.

Satan is very much a “death by a thousand cuts” kind of guy. He doesn’t have very damaging individual attacks, but if his heads coordinate efforts along with Call of the Unworthy he can seriously damage a target. Additionally his 120 foot fly speed can catch up with most characters save Michael who can keep up with his pace. Unless he’s rolling a Dexterity saving throw Satan is going to succeed on saves the vast majority of the time, although ironically his CON and INT are the next-lowest at +11 and +10. Being a Gargantuan creature with 30 Strength and a Proficiency Bonus of +9 (he should have +10 for being CR 30) shoving and grappling him are suboptimal tactics and he’s immune to the prone condition.

We even get an “area control” optional rule where PCs who minmax in dealing single-target damage can still feel like they’re protecting the Woman. Basically, they trade a certain amount of damage to impose some kind of effect or forced action on the part of the Dragon. For example, 10 points of damage can be exchanged to impose disadvantage on the Dragon’s next attack roll, 20 points can move a head 20 feet and halve its movement speed until the start of the attacker’s next turn, 25 points can stun the Dragon until the start of the attacker’s next turn, and 30 points can increase the stun duration to 1 minute. Due to how stun works, this will take one of the heads out of the fight for that amount of time.

Between the action economy of the party, Michael, Azrael, and the Elder, they can do a bunch of stuff to the Dragon in just a single turn, and unless the monster focuses on one PC (something his default battle tactics don’t do) it’s likely that they can survive for 3 rounds, even if the Dragon is likely to resist many of their effects. Amusingly the area control optional rules make it easy for a damage-heavy party to stunlock a bunch of heads.

The Woman gives birth to a newborn child at the end of the third round of combat, triggering cutscene-time boxed text as she hands the baby to Michael, who asks Azrael if he can trust the Reapers to continue protecting the Woman. The Woman will then transform into her Medium shape, use a healing spell to restore the party’s hit points, then fall unconscious. Azrael will carry her and call for the party to retreat, prompting a skill challenge chase scene as the PCs flee across space via some kind of cosmic wormhole with the Dragon hot in pursuit.

For this skill challenge, the party must succeed on 6 of these rolls, with one check being made per round to a maximum of 9 rounds. A single character makes a roll, being the Active Player, although they can gain bonuses, advantage, or even auto-success on the roll if they use limited resources (typically per-rest or per-day) or use a tool or environmental feature in a creative way. Each round has its own appropriate skills and DC, which range from 16 to 20. They include things like using colored clouds of cosmic gas to hide from the Dragon’s gaze, Perception to follow Azrael as they fly past blindingly bright stars, or tricking the Dragon into veering too close to the gravitational pull of a collapsing neutron star.

PCs who fail a challenge end up careening off course in a 1 on 1 encounter known as a Consequence before they reunite with the party at the end of the challenge. If the skill challenge lasts for 9 rounds, the party has one last chance by grappling the Dragon and throwing it away. If the Active Player fails all the remaining PCs go off course, or an Active Player can automatically succeed but risk going off course themselves if they then fail a DC 21 Dexterity save.

So technically speaking, failing this skill challenge doesn’t cause a Game Over, but it does cause additional complications to arise via encounters. The 6 Consequences involve a PC being flung through time and space, sometimes ending up in another realm of existence. One example has them crash into a post-apocalyptic Earth overrun by demons, where they have to escape via a nearby planar portal 500 feet away as flaming eruptions and bloodfiends threaten them. Another has a character sent back into the past during a momentous occasion of their life and are stuck in a time loop, and the encounter is resolved via roleplay or a Deception/Insight check (to either lie to themselves or realize their growth). A third has Gethsemani summon that PC to 16th Century Earth via a Candle of Invocation, where she needs their advice for fighting demons. A fourth has a PC end up on a lifeless desert planet where they meet the Horseman of Famine, who hasn’t been summoned by the Scroll of Seven Seals yet and is enjoying the bleak desolation.

quote:

This is an opportunity for you to introduce the Horsemen, and allow the player character to have a brief conversation with Famine, before the Horsemen are unleashed later in the story. During this conversation, it is important to convey to the player that the Horsemen are not villains, but inevitable and unstoppable forces of neutrality. Famine will be polite and cordial with the character, but will also openly admit that the Horsemen will not hesitate to kill them if the time comes.

Sure, I’m going to knowingly and willingly help plunge Earth into a post-apocalyptic hellscape and kill off a third of humanity in all manner of horrific ways, but that doesn’t make me a bad person…right?!

A fifth has a PC end up in the nightmarish dream realm of Babylon, where they take a small amount of psychic damage every hour they do not find a way out. And a sixth has the PC relive the last moments of a pastor and his flock being hunted down by the Antichrist’s Marked Taskforce, and they have an opportunity to sacrifice themselves as a distraction to help the rest of the congregation escape.

All of these Consequences save the post-apocalyptic Earth have permanent effects upon resolution. For example, the time loop can reduce, remove, or modify the involved PC’s Eternal Trait, while a PC who helps out Gethsemani can gain proficiency in a new language or Intelligence-based skill that isn’t Nature. And the encounters involving the Horseman of Famine, Babylon’s Realm, and the Marked Taskforce grants that PC advantage on attacks and saving throws (or checks instead of attacks for Babylon) during combat with those specific characters.

One way or another, the party ends up in the Garden of Eden, a safe place to protect the Woman and her child. The region is a lush and scenic environment overrun with colorful flora and fauna. In the center of the Garden is the Tree of Life, a wise and ancient creature who telepathically communicates with the party, welcoming them to Eden and offering to protect the Woman for 1,260 days. The Tree says that they will meet again, but in less happy times. This is a prophecy for when the Horseman of Famine arrives in Eden to kill the Tree and thus destroy life itself.

Once the Woman and her baby are confirmed safe, Azrael will check the Book of Souls, which has a brightly glowing page. He then transfers the party to World’s End, which is Earth in the far, far future with the end of the universe just around the corner and no life remaining. The archangels use this point in time as a prison for Satan’s most dangerous demons, and the landscape is charred rock with the sky filled with falling meteors and a blood-red moon. As the PCs are in the Veil they aren’t at risk of danger from this hostile environment. The captured fiends are housed in iron buildings with vault doors covered in angelic runes and the names of the fiends imprisoned within, such as Ashmedai along with the Archdemons from Adventurer’s Guide to the Bible. The runes are so powerful that nothing short of a Wish spell or plot device can open them.

The reason for Azrael’s sudden teleportation here becomes evident by the presence of the Horseman of Conquest, who falls to the surface via a glowing white meteor. The reason she came is that she sensed a betrayal, but the specifics escape Conquest and thus she is here to merely bear witness. During her conversation with Azrael and the PCs it will become clear that she has contempt for the Angel of Death, but the PCs have opportunities to learn more about her and ask her things. Conquest is cold and aloof, caring little for the wars between angels and demons, and that as a Horseman she is the representation of conflict as a concept. She claims that the PCs will die at her hands some day, but that it’s nothing personal for her violence is “fair and unbiased.”

When the conversation comes to a natural close, Azrael and the party will be summoned back to the Lampstands, leveling up to 12.

Thoughts So Far: This is a relatively brief chapter in comparison to the ones before and after it, really only having one big set-piece battle. But it introduces the concept of Elders which is a big deal, and I do like its skill challenges, neither of which softlock the PCs from progressing the main plot but come with consequences. Amusingly, the Consequences for failing to escape the Dragon aren’t really that much of a hindrance; on the contrary, they can give positive mechanical benefits to a PC while also foreshadowing future characters and encounters.

I am unsure of how challenging the fight against the Dragon will be. A lot can happen in 3 rounds, but as it’s the only real combat scenario and given that the PCs outnumber the bad guy in action economy I am a bit concerned it may be too easy. The encounter with Conquest at World’s End is foreshadowing Ashmedai’s prison break, and once again it’s a railroaded event that the PCs can’t really investigate further.

Join us next time as we enter the Material Plane and infiltrate the Antichrist’s headquarters in Chapter 3: Desecration!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Writing down "escaping satan the space dragon by tricking him into flying too close to a neutron star" for use elsewhere because, as much as I wouldn't run this, that's power metal as gently caress.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

I think I said it before but I seriously consider Ryan one of the best writers White Wolf had in their long-term staff. Amanda's arc is a good example - the prose can be cringey and dumb, its not always well executed, and being spread across like fifteen books as it is it can be hard to follow, but it has legitimate narrative weight, isn't used as a 'put this NPC in your game. Whenever Amanda isn't on screen, the players should be asking, where's Amanda?' Poochie shenanigan, and sort of shows the maturation of the setting as the new chapters trickle out over its run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

I think I said it before but I seriously consider Ryan one of the best writers White Wolf had in their long-term staff. Amanda's arc is a good example - the prose can be cringey and dumb, its not always well executed, and being spread across like fifteen books as it is it can be hard to follow, but it has legitimate narrative weight, isn't used as a 'put this NPC in your game. Whenever Amanda isn't on screen, the players should be asking, where's Amanda?' Poochie shenanigan, and sort of shows the maturation of the setting as the new chapters trickle out over its run.

Ryan wrote the two best Clan Novels to my mind (Ravnos and Setite), which if you ever get that far in your fiction journey I look forward to.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Part 3

Nodes of Doissetep

I can’t begin to tell you how tired I am of typing the word “Doissetep”, but at least it's been added to my dictionary so when I inevitably spell it wrong, the spell check catches it and suggests the correct spelling.

The Nodes outlined below are not the only ones Doissetep controls, however these specific nodes stand out because of their potency. The Chantry controls at least 10 other Nodes, but they are not provided here as ST’s should bring these unnamed Nodes into their games as needed.

The Tain Burial Site

A burial site near Tain, Scotland that not only serves as the crypt of several chieftains but also as a Node, providing the Chantry with a massive amount of Quintessence that is used to fuel the Chantries Shade Realm.

The site is near a BSD labyrinth, which causes its own set of problems. Mages are often summoned by a guardian spirit to help protect the Node from Banes. The spirit is a Level 5, however when Banes raid the node, they do so in great number and very quickly.

The Mages want to explore the BSD tunnel system, as they believe the depths contain other beings besides the BSD, with some believing that the ley lines connected to the Node run deep into the earth, and that another Node may lie deeper down. If there is another Node, it is likely very powerful and while taking and controlling it would be a difficult task, it is one that could potentially reap great rewards.

Yes, please, go invade a loving BSD Labyrinth. See how well that works out for you when you’re all either devoured by horrible Wyrm creatures or likely worse, become possessed by Banes. That’s how you get Fomor Mages. Do you want Fomori Mages?!

The Lake Monster Dens

Several lake dens that are still inhabited by marine dinosaurs are controlled by the Chantry. The power of the node allows these creatures to survive the post-Cretaceous extinction, and they are believed to be evolved Plesiosaurs that are highly intelligent and sentient, capable of telepathic communication with each other, and potentially more. The Chantry has kept these creatures from being discovered, and in gratitude the creatures gather information and provide it to visiting Mages. Occasionally this is valuable information concerning supernatural events as well as creatures in the oceans of the Northern Hemisphere.

The Arms of Var

Very well-hidden monuments in the Balkans, they are protected by three spirit guardians (all level 4). The monoliths are alien in design, though one has power usable by Mages, allowing for travel directly into the Deep Umbra to any point the traveler desires. This is a one-way trip however, and once in the Deep Umbra, finding your way back is extremely difficult.

The monoliths are made of an unusual stone with mottled green and red-brown swirling patterns, resembling three large stone forearms rising from the ground, their seven fingered hands raised to the skies as if about to clutch something. The Umbral travel power actually requires that a Mage sit in the palm of one of these hands while concentrating. The other two hands likely have a similar power, but no Mage has been brave enough to find out.

The current conflict in the area (the Bosnian war) has threatened the security of the Node, and Sleepers have been stationed as guards, however these guards seem to always disappear or go insane, and no one has been able to determine why. Some suspect the Tremere, while others fear Deep Umbral entities are to blame.

The Manchester House

A haunted house outside Manchester, England (shocking, I know) is a powerful Node site but not an aspect of the Chantry. Once haunted by countless spirits, all but the most ancient and powerful have since been exorcised. Regardless, many Mages dislike spending extended periods of time there, and the spirit guardian, Vasiglias, has begun disappearing for periods of time. The Mages worry that the guardian is in league with the ghosts of the Node but are unclear on why. The house has also been raided multiple times, and the Mages are unaware of who or what is behind these raids.

Recently the guardian tangled with a small group of Malkavians, leading many to believe the Node is dedicated to insanity.

Gee, who could have guessed that hooking up to a Node that’s in a haunted house would be a bad idea? Once again, Wizards out here sticking their dumb noses where they don’t belong. Let the Wraiths have the haunted house you asshats. Or leave it to the Malkavians, what’s the worst that can happen when a bunch of crazy Kindred get their hands on a Node?

The Waterfalls of Acajutla

A waterfall outside the town of Acajutla, El Salvador supplies copious amounts of Tass in water form, that collects in natural crystal basins near the bottom of the falls, which is used for research. Many Mokolé have taken up residence nearby and they do not like Mages, often sending their own spirits to attack the Chantries guardian, who has survived so far. While the Mages could try to wipe out the Mokolé, they have no idea how many there are, and they could enlist them as allies, however, this is too dangerous an idea to follow through on.

Once again, wizards in places they shouldn’t be, and when the Mokolé are involved, just leave. It’s not going to end well for you when a loving were-dinosaur comes stomping through the jungle towards you because you’re in their habitat. If the Mokolé can wreck the Garou, I don’t think squishy Mages, even with magic, are going to stand much of a chance beyond being chew toys.

Stonehenge

The third most powerful Node on Earth, the stone ring may be a tourist attraction, but it has a very real power, and is necessary for the continued function of Doissetep. It is protected by the Chantries' most powerful guardian spirit, the Kurajal (level 8), an eccentric but loyal guardian. Of course, the Technocracy would like to take this Node or failing that, use it to lead them to Doissetep, though they have so far been unsuccessful.

Additionally, Stonehenge is closely tied to Luna and her children, the Fey. The Node serves as one entry to Arcadia but has fallen into disuse as Mages fear the potential paradox involved with such travel. Many faeries have a keen interest in Stonehenge, and while they allow the Chantry to use it, they still consider it theirs.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Stonehenge likely was at one point a path to Arcadia, but likely no longer functions as such because of the Shattering, so those Mages probably don’t have much to worry about.

The Caern of Black Clouds

Located somewhere in the mountains of Tennessee, it once belonged to the Uktena. It was taken by the BSD, who were in turn defeated by the Mages of Doissetep, who have controlled it for the last 200 years. The Mages have kept a low profile at this Node, but the Red Talons wish to reclaim the caern. It is made of large granite blocks that form the pattern of two intersecting arrows. Many strange and magical creatures lurk in these mountains, ranging from bone-eating monsters to Unseelie Fae and Sabbat. There are also rumors that a Progenitors construct may be working in a nearby small town.

Once again, just give the loving thing back to the Garou. Of all the tribes you don’t want to piss off, I feel like the BSD are at the top with the Talons and the Get following close behind. You’ve got the literal “Genocide all humans” tribe wanting to take this caern back and these dumb assholes are just hanging onto it because wizards gonna wizard.

I hope if Doissetep ever falls in-fiction, it’s because a bunch of Garou rolled in and hosed them up.

The Horizon Realm

Basic Concept

The Chantry resides in the Shade Realm of Forces, which is connected to the Shard Realm of Forces, though the connecting Portal never remains in the same spot for long. The Shade Realm has been shaped to resemble Earth in many ways, and at the center lies a mountain that resembles Mount Celidar, surrounded by mountains of slightly less grandeur. Doorstep sits atop this clone of Celidar, dominating the Realm.

The Shade Realm is a valuable key to the ultimate understanding of the Forces sphere, and if it were lost to the Technocracy or another faction, most of the Traditions’ Forces magic would be useless. The Oracles of Forces are known to travel the Realm, using it as a passage into the Shard Realms of Forces, though they are not known to visit Doissetep.

The Chantry is very clearly in its Winter stage, as it retains great power, its core is rotten with intrigue that cannot last in the way it currently is for much longer. Sadly, for the Mages who call the Chantry home, they are blind to this fact.

Because as I’ve said in every Mage review: Wizards are loving idiots.

Environment

All who enter the Realm feel like ants in the eye of a storm, and the power inherent in all things is overwhelming. While superficially like Earth, emphasis should be put on Superficially. The sky is reddish-purple, crackling with sparks, meteors and particle beam blasts. Impossibly symmetrical mountains stretch across the entire Realm, and between them are many forest filled vales, with plants and animals resembling the fractal structures of energy. Firepits, active volcanoes and energy vortices puncture the landscape, and the Realm is very rocky with reddish brown soil in most areas.

In some regions, vast plateaus of dried, cracked earth loom against the sky while black storm clouds hang overhead, and there is always a thunderstorm occurring somewhere in the Realm. During these storms the celestial display grows fierce, and the ground is splintered by lightning bolts, gravitic surges and magnetic pulses.

Denizens of the Realm

Despite the hostile environment, the Realm is home to numerous Indigenous lifeforms. Ballums (Sturm Giants as the Mages refer to them) are huge humanoids with grayish-blue skin, glowing golden eyes and long white beards and hair that dwell on the top of most mountains. These creatures are very territorial and have great control over electricity and storms.

Hirgujaks (Trolls) live deep in the earth, controlling the magnetic energies in metals, which they have used to fashion their own underground cities of steel. These creatures are also immensely powerful and xenophobic, resembling large, stocky humans with black skin and no hair, ovid eyes, large tusks. “Long black hair and tremendous amounts of body hair”

So, are they hairless or not? Literally one sentence they’re described as hairless and the next it says they have long hair. Get it together editing team! Also, I assume they mean “black skin” in the sense of like…the color black and not just how people of African descent are described.

The Hirgujaks wear beautiful silver armor that is mystically woven from monomolecular metal threads. Their outcasts, known as the Kalu, live in stone huts and caves, occasionally indulging in cannibalism.

The Vaskha (Forest People) live in stone and wooden buildings of their own construction and are ugly humanoid creatures with pale skin and chubby human features. They have language and culture and numerous clans across the Realm. They hunt the beasts of the Realm as well as serving as slave labor to some Hirgujaks, while a small number serve the Chantry as Realm Guides. They are proficient with bows and wide-bladed scimitars.

Are you just describing the Drow? Because it sounds like you’re trying to swing some D&D elves into this poo poo under the radar

Speaking of beasts of the Realm, there are several small animal breeds, including deer, rabbit, squirrels, porcupines and bears, that have adapted to living in caves to avoid Elementals. Some beasts have mastered Forces magic, including small snake-like beings that fly through reversal of gravitic fields and spiders that generate protective electrical fields to guard against outside energies.

In addition to these creatures there are also Energy Elementals. Fire Elementals gather in the volcanic region of the Realm, while the Electricity Elementals gather on the huge, barren fields. Kinetic Elementals that resemble collections of glowing black particles gather in the valleys among themselves, causing earthquakes that are felt throughout the Realm, while Gravity Elementals that resemble swirling vortices of dust and debris stay high in the air. Electromagnetic spirits are generally unnoticed as they stay in the upper reaches of the atmosphere, but when visible, they resemble balls of light.

Other Details - Magical Ratings: Correspondence -2/Forces +4/Life +2/Matter -1/Mind +1/Prime +2

Chantry Description

There are four earthly manifestations of Doissetep, though none resemble its appearance in the Shade Realm, and these locations provide for near instantaneous access to many parts of the world.

Doissetep Castle

Doissetep proper resembles a powerful fortress of black stone seated atop the highest mountain in the Realm with added wings, levels, etc. constructed on to it over time, presenting an architectural potpourri, ranging from the ancient, thick, squat buildings to Gothic flying buttresses. The castle is a mile in diameter at its widest and stands 30 stories high.

It is a formidable castle that is always guarded by the Chantries army, in addition to numerous special weapons. The area outside the castle is filled with huge lightning rods to attract the dangerous amounts of lighting produced by the storms. The interior is dimly lit with small electromagnetic Elementals bound in wire cages. The cages and the Elementals within them vary in size based on the room. The stone hallways are lit by bread box sized cages every 40 feet while the largest chambers are lit by cages that are nearly human sized. These Elementals can be commanded to vary their illumination levels from nothing to full daylight, and have been made incapable of communicating, to protect the privacy of the Chantries' inhabitants.

Yo, so they’re just enslaving Elementals for lighting. YOU ARE loving WIZARDS AND YOU CAN’T FIGURE OUT HOW TO JUST MAKE LIGHTBULBS?!

The castle is filled with catacombs and chambers, as well as innumerable secret passageways and all the buildings are connected, so that inhabitants can reach any point within the Chantry without ever seeing the light of “day”. Private chambers vary, though most public areas have a medieval ambience, including the computer and meteorological tracking rooms. The Chantry has an indoor garden, filled with exotic plants and creatures that are tended by the Verbena, and it serves as not only a source of magical accouterments, but as a place to relax. There is also a hangar where cloudships are kept.

Below the castle in the mountain are hundreds of twisting tunnels that lead into various chambers and at the lowest point, to the Gateway. The Gateway is a large well-lit domed chamber of pure gold with 60 doors along the walls, none of which are labeled. These doors lead to various Realms, earthly sites, the Chimerae and the Umbrae. Special Portals leading to the various earthly manifestations of the Chantry are not located in the Gateway, but in the upper portion of the castle.

The Delono House

This manifestation is in Boston and is a two-story wooden mansion surrounded by a low stone wall, located in a wealthy neighborhood. It serves as the home of the Jhonisett (detailed shortly) and as an outpost. It is an old house, but well-kept with all the modern conveniences, as well as a huge garage where 10 automobiles are kept, including the six belonging to the Jhonisett, two expensive sports cars, a van and a jeep. The underground area features labs and a hidden armory, and there is a holding cell in the basement.

Fulroony Manor

A three-story manor house on the outskirts of Manchester, England, it serves as the earthly home of the Crucible of Thig, and several smaller individual homes are located on the property. The manor house is stockpiled with weapons, as well as there being 15 or more cars at the estate as well as a helicopter.

Castigo’s

A three-story building in Toledo, Spain with an antiques shop serves as the facade, both literally and figuratively. It is exceptionally large, incredibly old and the home of the Tytalus. Like the earlier locations, it has a stockpile of weapons and equipment, but only two cars.

Purpose

Doissetep has numerous purposes, as each Cabal seeks to use the Chantry for their own goals, however the true goal as established by the rewritten covenant is to provide all Traditions and Tradition Mages a bastion of safety against the Technocracy, as well as leading the fight against the Technocracy to bring about the Ascension of all mankind. Ignore that no details about Ascension are given, so even if they did succeed against the Technocracy, the Cabals would likely fall to internal struggles.

History

Founded before recorded history, some claim that the Pure Ones founded the Chantry, but most consider this theory to either be wishful thinking or simply an outright lie. The Chantry originated in Southeast Asia in what is now Thailand, and was home to a sorcerer king named Kwa Hu, who some claim is now an Oracle of Forces.

The Chantry survived war, plagues and peasant uprisings, and by the 4th century was a center of magical learning. By the 8th century, it had succumbed to internal dissension and was taken over by usurper Mages, then magically moved to Turkey. By the 9th century, it was overtaken by Mages who would become the Order of Hermes and was again moved, this time to Spain.

During the Mythic Age, the Chantry was a strong center of power for the order, but with the rise of the Technocracy, it became a prime target. Eventually, the earthly manifestation was destroyed, and the Mages vowed to keep the remnants hidden in the Shade Realm where it would be safe. Eventually the war against the Technocracy forced the Order of Hermes to abandon its xenophobic practices and embrace the Verbena and Akashic Brotherhood as members, and soon earthly manifestations of the Chantry were established, though they change continuously as the Technocracy finds and destroys them.

Now, on the edge of the new millennium, the old leaders are dying, and the Chantries Mages must make the right choices, as well as surviving those choices, if they are to reach Ascension. But as has been established at this point, Power, not Ascension, is what most within its walls seek.

Chantry Inhabitants

Doissetep retains over 400 servants, while the earthly manifestations generally only have a few servants each, most being descendants of former Mages, Acolytes and servants. These servants know the Chantry like the back of their hands, and most know more than they’ll reveal, often more than even the Mages who live there know about the place.

Each servant has their duties, and they have shifts, holidays, days off, etc. like any other job. They are also well provided for, and have access to any material items they desire, so long as the request is not too greedy, ridiculous or a detriment to security. The Mages treat the servants with respect and the servants in turn are humble and respectful of the Mages, as they fear the Jhonisett, the secret police of the Chantry. Few who live in the Chantry ever travel to Earth, and even fewer travel the Realm, other than via cloudships.

Many of the servants have aligned with the various Cabals, providing secrets in exchange for special services or gifts, though most keep a bit of information to themselves for an emergency. There are two special servants in the Chantry as well, the Vantikor and the Jhonisett, the stormtroopers and secret police.

The Vantikor serve by defending the Chantry by dealing with unwelcome visitors and serving as shock troops when the Chantry comes under attack from the Technocracy. There are 200 members that are subdivided into divisions of 50 and units of 10, and they are also tasked with patrolling the Realm and piloting the cloudships.

The Jhonisett are the insidious secret police and are considerably smaller in number than the Vantikor at only 50. They have the power to arrest anyone in the Chantry, including Mages, to be brought before the Chantries judges for trial. They also perform reconnaissance, advanced scouting and espionage missions. Oh and a bit of kidnapping and assassination of the side.

quote:

“It has been pointed out more than once that these groups seem uncomfortably close to the Technomancer organizations that Doissetep so despises. While many in the Chantry agree, the Bonisagus, Tytalus and Glass Eye Cabals argue that such measures are necessary for the Chantry’s security. Retorts that similar arguments have been used to justify the Technocracy’s own methods have fallen on deaf ears.”

I’m glad the authors are well aware of how this place comes off to a reader, because yeah, having secret police sounds exactly like some Technocracy poo poo, and lol of course the wizards just hand wave it away.

Internal Structure and Relations

As has become plainly obvious at this point, Doissetep is chock full of fuckery and conspiracy. But on the surface, the Chantry appears to be an amiable place, though the Panel of Deacons wield all the power, and isn’t that interesting, most of the Deacons are members of the Drua’shi, and they could probably lead the Chantry more effectively if they weren’t paranoid about the other Cabals. Instead, they lead the Chantry into pointless conflicts to keep the others busy.

Unsurprisingly, they’ve been very successful.

The covenant was rewritten 200 years ago, but is still full of volumes of precedent and bylaws, to the point that some servants spend all day just studying the covenant so that they may serve as barristers and judges for cases, most of which are focused on other servants, though they do hear cases against Mages and are protected by the Jhonisett.

External Relations

Doissetep serves as the foremost Tradition Chantry, and has led the way in maintaining inter-Tradition relations, proving the effectiveness of teamwork. It also serves as a symbol of the Traditions unity against the Technocracy, and while other Tradition Chantries and Mages may not like or trust the Mages of Doissetep (and let’s be real, they absolutely shouldn’t), they still take pride in the power it represents.

Status and Reputation

All the skullduggery and bullshit has not gone unnoticed (except seemingly by the Mages who live there) and rumors about the various Cabals are rampant. This of course has led other Tradition Mages to fear and distrust the Chantry, but that doesn’t change that the Chantry is still powerful and can be called upon for assistance in times of need, as well as serving as a beacon of the Traditions war efforts.

Status 5/Reputation 2

Policy Regarding Outsiders

The Panel of Deacons has ruled that no one should be brought into the Shade Realm from the outside world. Outsiders need to be handled somewhere else, and even those seeking initiation must complete the rituals on Earth. The fear that the Technocracy will discover the location of the Realm is real.

Rogue Cabals are not openly endorsed or used, though covertly speaking, some Mages do hire them to carry out personal missions. Orphans are not allowed into the Realm unless they’ve proven themselves loyal and undergone all initiation rites. Good Acolytes are put through their own initiation, and successful “Pledges” become members of the Order of Questari. Like a Cabal, the Questari have their own rites, secrets, initiations, rights and duties, and only those who have proved their loyalty may join, which also requires deep telepathic probing.

Allies and Enemies

Cataloging the enemies of Doissetep is a fool's errand, as every Cabal has ties, both good and bad to Sleeper agencies, supernatural beings, Umbrood and other Mages of all factions, and they use these connections rather liberally.

Of course, the Technocracy, Marauders and Nephandi would love to see the Chantry fall, though they lack the power to do so themselves. Each of these groups, however, has agents within, hopeful that it will crumble under the weight of its own intrigues, while many independent supernatural agencies are trying to manipulate the stronghold to their own purpose. Essentially, everyone who knows the Chantry exists, wants a slice of its future or downfall.

Research Capabilities

A center of magical learning, Doissetep has no known rivals in this matter, and they pride themselves on the freedom they allow their members in their research. Mages can do as they wish within the Realm, so long as nothing causes permanent damage. The more dangerous experiments are however, handled in temporary lab bases constructed by the Vantikor in distant locations within the Realm.

Most of the Mages of the Chantry have apprentices, and despite the amount of time and secrets a Mage and their apprentice share, these Mentors rarely encourage their apprentices to join their Cabals. Apprentices spend 10 hours a day in schooling, as well as performing chores each day for the Chantry and their masters. It is a tough program and those who do not “pass” either get memory wiped and dumped back on Earth or become servants. Students must survive numerous trials, especially those apprenticing under the Followers of Tytalus.

The Chantries arcane library is potentially the largest in existence, though some claim Ancestral Chantries and some College Chantries have larger libraries, it is still a point of pride for the Chantry. There are libraries dedicated to each Sphere as well as two covering various forms of unclassified magic. Access to a Sphere library is limited to the Mages rank, so students need to know the Sphere in question before they can study it, and then be at the level they wish to study.

Turns out this rule is in place because centuries ago, a Mage accidentally burned down half the library because he was studying something he didn’t comprehend. This is also why the separate Sphere libraries were established. In addition to these libraries there is also a massive mundane library that fills an entire three-story building, and all inhabitants of the Chantry have access to the mundane library.

I’m starting to notice that the three-story buildings and 30-foot-high things are extremely common numbers in a lot in these books.

With the acceptance of Virtual Adepts, the Chantry has joined the computer age, now sporting a powerful computer linked to numerous networks, as well as slightly less powerful models being built in each of the Chantries' earthly aspects.

Stories

Corruption is the theme of Doissetep (no poo poo?), and many of the Mages there are centuries old, riddled with hubris and nearly insane (again, no poo poo? I couldn’t tell). The mood of the place is foreboding as the Chantry is a big gun in the Ascension War, but it is ultimately a loose cannon that will crush anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Story Ideas
  • 1.A war for control breaks out among the Cabals. The players must choose a side, or everyone will turn against them. On top of this, Marauders and Nephandi swoop in to attack. Could someone within the Chantry be aligned with these evil forces?

Yes, yes, they are. We have established that some of them are.

• 2.Terrible energy storms and powerful Elementals force the Mages to move the Chantry to a safer location. But where? The trouble is being caused by a Celestine-like being that has been accidentally summoned to the Realm.

Or you know, they’re pissed that all their Elemental homies are being caged up to be lightbulbs because apparently wizards don’t understand that you can just buy a 60w bulb at the drugstore. Or you know, torches. Literally anything else other than enslaving sentient creatures to generate light.

• 3.The Crucible of Thig are suspected of sacrificing innocent Sleepers to increase their own power. Is it true? If not, where is their new found power coming from? Can the players join the Crucible and acquire some of this “Free” power, or are they the next victims?

• 4.The remaining Deacons of Drua’shi die. Caeron and others with political power within the Chantry back the players to become the new Deacons. How do the players handle this new power? Are they really in control? What do the masters want? Can they stave off assassination attempts, and what are they going to do when it’s revealed the Dura’shi Deacons were murdered?

I dunno, maybe don’t accept becoming the loving Deacons of this hell hole. That’s an effective way to avoid the issue.

• 5.The players discover a spy in the Chantry. The traitor is a Mage of great power and has planted an energy Elemental “bomb” in a heavily populated area. If the players don’t assist in their schemes, the device will be detonated, killing hundreds of innocents. Do the players betray the Chantry to save the innocent or is loyalty more important?

Hey look, a confusing political alliance chart!

On the one hand, I hate Doissetep, which I’m sure was part of the authors' intentions, as they point out in the above notes about the Mood and Atmosphere of the place. On the other hand, I’m really impressed with what a dysfunctional mess this place is. Everything about this Chantry is a giant red flag, from top to bottom.

I do like that it’s glaringly obvious that for all the good this Chantry does as a representation of unity and power against the Technocracy, they’re really no better than the Technocrats. It’s almost as if they’re trying to make a point that the more powerful Mages become, the bigger bags of douche they become.

Not to mention that when you really think about it, Master Mages, and to a lesser degree all Mages for that matter, are essentially walking, talking nukes that can unleash obscene devastation on the world, and as their destructive power increases, they tend to get crazier and crazier.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but bravo Mage, you’ve done a really good job of making clear a concept about the setting with this Chantry and I dig that. Still think 99% of the folks running around his place are loving monstrous lunatics who should probably be cast into the Deep Umbra for the safety of the rest of the universe, but what can you do.

The House of Helekar: Chantry of the Forbidden Lands

The Euthanatos have a subcult known as the Consanguinity of Eternal Joy. Throughout the Traditions history, the Consanguinity have served as an independent sect of assassins, killing any who pose a threat to the Euthanatos as a whole. The sect has always been loyal to the Tradition, despite their secrecy, leading many to wonder if they have ulterior motives.

I mean, probably, let’s be real here, the entire WoD is thick with ulterior motives.

The true depths of the sect would make most of the Tradition shudder, and Voormas, master of the faction, has lost sight of the Traditions ideal, instead leading a collection of cold-blooded killers whose “Ascension” has less to do with the recycling of souls than it does the “Eternal Joy” of straight up murder.

The House of Helekar, despite its great age, has sustained itself in a period of long Summer, and the popularity of murder and genocide in the modern world only encourages the cruelty of the Chantry.

Cabals

The CoEJ is composed of three Cabals and a dictator above them. While the names, nationalities and methods of these Cabals may have changed, their motives remain the same. They are the penultimate fanatics, ready to die and kill at a single word from their leader’s lips.

Voormas is going to lead a jihad across the Umbra isn’t he. This is all just an elaborate Dune reference isn’t it you loving nerds!

Maudib! Maudib!

The Grand Harvester

The House of Helekar is dominated by a single figure, the Grand Harvester of Souls (which is such a cool loving title, got drat) named Voormas.

quote:

He is very, very wicked

No poo poo? You mean the guy who has a title that sounds like a Mortal Kombat villain is wicked? Perish the thought!

Voormas rules over the Chantry as a dictator and claims to be in contact with the Oracles of Entropy. In truth, he does venture into the Shard Realm of Entropy and returns bearing “orders”. Other strange human figures are seen entering the Realm, though none of the Chantry's Mages have approached them, for fear that it would be an insult to the Oracles.

Voormas is a master death-dealer and the sole authority among the 13 Mages of the Chantry and all Cabals answer to him (That is usually what a Dictator is). He gives them missions but does not stand over them. Mages are allowed a great deal of freedom, as they wouldn’t abuse it or make mistakes. They are all aware that the punishments for such stupidity are swift and merciless.

Voormas, the Grand Harvester of Souls, Master of the Realm

• Nature: Curmudgeon
  • Demeanor: Fanatic/Deviant
  • Tradition: Euthanatos
  • Spheres: Correspondence 3/Entropy 6/Forces 4/Life 5/Mind 4/Matter 3/Prime 3/Spirit 5/Time 5
  • Willpower:10
  • Quintessence: 19
  • Paradox: 0

Background: Once a Thugee priest, Voormas spent most of his early life killing for his Euthanatos masters, passing through various ranks, learning more truths along the way. By the time he’d reached the innermost body of the sect, he was a Euthanatos Mage, having given up the ways of life for those of death.

The young Thuggee’s acceptance into the Euthanatos was accompanied by membership into the House of Helekar, and he continually provided more of the chosen with the “Good Death”, gaining fear, respect, trust and power as the centuries wore on. Finally in 1709 he was named the Grand Harvester of Souls. In an elaborate ceremony, he killed the old Mage who held the title and assumed the mantle. Since then, his name has been synonymous with death and fanaticism.

He is now a Postulate, hoping to gain acceptance into the ranks of the Oracles. However, unbeknownst to him, the beings he believes are the Oracles are not, in fact, the Oracles of Entropy, instead they are mighty spirits aligned with the Wyrm, but they are not Nephandi.

He has few personal interests save morbidity, and spends much of his time meditating, studying magic and traveling about the Shard Realm “testing” himself, scrying on potential threats to the Tradition and directing the Mages of the Chantry. Occasionally he handles assassinations on his own if the target is worthy or powerful.

Despite the provided picture and description, I can’t help but imagine Mola Ram from Temple of Doom

Image: Voormas is a bony, dark-skinned man of at least 100, nearly bald and dressed in black, dark brown or white robes. He hobbles around on a sturdy cane made of solidly joined human vertebrae with a child’s skull on top. He has an evil, near-toothless smile whenever he’s plotting.

When engaged in physical combat, he uses a Life effect to assume the form of a giant, black-skinned, multi-armed demon, an aspect of the goddess Kali. In this form his Physical attributes increase to the parenthetical numbers listed (lol I’m not listing those stats), though his appearance drops to 0.

For those who may not know what Kali looks like.

Roleplaying Notes: To most you seem totally insane. And while that may or may not be true, you are undeniably brilliant, paranoid and evil. You hope more than anything to be accepted into the ranks of the Oracles before it comes time for your own “Good Death”. No one knows, and it’s doubtful you consciously know it, but you fear your own death.

Sanctum: Comprising one entire “arm” of the Chantry that appears as a tower, it is dark, gloomy and filled with implements of death and destruction. Any who enters feels an overwhelming sense of impending doom.

The Abyssians
(All members are Euthanatos unless otherwise noted)

Members: Ulku Baydar, Eugene Clemens, Serge Pajak, Joseph Russo

Background: Founded in India centuries ago as a Thugee sect, the name has changed as language has evolved, but it has always meant “Those who sit over the vast pit of nothingness”

Which is Metal as gently caress

The Abyssians quickly climbed the Chantries ranks and were the top Cabal in short order. They are the brains behind the Chantry and carry out all extortion and spying, collecting and examining information and determining what needs to be done, and who needs to die next.

They report their findings to Voormas, who has the final say. While they are trained assassins, they don’t usually perform the actual killings.

Friends of the Soul

Members: Jorge Salbon, Fleta Natrajan, Richard Somnitz, Rosa Zlonstreth

Background: The Friends of the Soul are the Mages who seek out those who deserve the Good Death and have more leeway in how they conduct missions than the Freedom Razor. This Cabal performs most of the long-term missions for the Chantry.

Richard Somnitz

• Demeanor: Judge
  • Spheres: Correspondence 3/Entropy 3/Forces 1/Life 3/Mind 3/Matter 2
  • Arete: 3

Background: Richard was an all-American boy, he wasn’t abused as a child, and he had the best middle class suburban home life a white kid could hope for. He was star quarterback and king of the Homecoming dance, went to an Ivy league university and had better than average grades. He seems to be a kind, gentle, level-headed and honest person.

Which begs the question: Why is Richard a Serial Killer?

He took up what he affectionately refers to as “the hobby” while a senior in high school, having a knack for choosing the right girl to butcher and the intelligence and luck to not get caught. He found murder to be a thrill greater than anything mundane life could give him. He felt like he was a cold and merciless God who could destroy anyone without reason. It felt good.

He committed two more murders in college, but after graduation and taking a job as a lawyer, the murders picked up, and in all he claims to have murdered over 90 people without a hint of remorse or pleasure, just cold satisfaction. Generally, he preyed on widows and young girls, but old men, boys and babies were also chosen.

His penchant for killing drew the attention of Ulku Baydar, a member of Helekar who tested Richard and once finding him worthy, offered him an apprenticeship. Richard had never believed in the supernatural, but he did believe in death (so goth), and Baydar offered him a chance to take even more lives than he could with his current MO.

He’s now a fanatical killer who obeys the will of Voormas without question, and his only interests are the killing of others, raising exotic birds and meeting other Mages.

Image: Richard is an attractive man of average height and build with short black hair and brown eyes. He dresses to fit the occasion but has two basic looks, nerdy recluse and Blood Doll. The first includes drab clothing, glasses and a pocket protector. The Blood Doll outfit is his more common attire. He does not carry guns unless necessary, instead relying on a large hunting knife, honed to a razor’s edge.

Roleplaying Notes: You’re totally insane, but your charm and apparent innocence are deceptive. You have no real friends and do not care to have any. You respect those who “understand” what it is to take a human life, and you’re very brave but cautious, never killing rashly or allowing your trail to be known. You are a cold, rational killer.

Sanctum: Richard keeps a small, three-room sanctum filled with items he has collected over the years that he keeps meticulously neat and clean and allows very few into the sanctum. He also keeps several exotic birds, as well as a fingerbone from each of his victims, mounted on a few large boards with the date and location written below each, along with the name, age and occupation of the victims, if he knew it.

So, we’re swinging for the psychopath fences so far it seems.

The Freedom Razor

Members: Ayman Loutfi, Virginia Adams, Shelton Bruntee, Theora Hetirck

Background: Charged with handling the standard assassinations for the Chantry, the Razor is composed of the youngest of the Consanguinity’s members. What they lack in experience they make up for with fanaticism. Originally founded in Persia in the 800’s as a Euthanatos assassin cult, they joined the Consanguinity shortly after it was formed. While the names and faces associated have changed over the years, the Cabal holds on to its old customs and ceremonies, as vile as they may be.

Theora Hetirck

• Nature: Bon Vivant
  • Demeanor: Conformist
  • Spheres: Correspondence 3/Entropy 3/Forces 1/Life 3/Mind 2/Prime 2
  • Willpower: 5
  • Arete: 3
  • Quintessence: 17
  • Paradox: 3

Background: Born into a family of morticians, she appeared to be an otherwise “Normal” child. She of course wasn’t, and her Avatar Awakened at an early age through a Mage who had died.

While working on the body, she somehow “reanimated’ the Mage, though he was in a delusional state. The walking, talking corpse then woke her Avatar, as well as giving her a ring that allowed her to see the spirits of the dead. The zombie Mage then wandered out of the mortuary and smashed to pieces while crossing a busy highway out front.

I wish I had thought that last bit up as a joke, but it is not, that’s literally what happened to him, and bravo, that’s hilarious.

Theora never told a soul about her experience, and it was only the beginning of her journey into the world of death. She developed enough power to animate corpses in the mortuary who she would sing, dance and play perverse and childish games with. When her father caught her one day, he thought she’d been possessed by a demon. He then dragged her into a back room to beat her. In terror for her life, she grabbed a scalpel and slashed her father's throat. Unable to comprehend what she’d just done, she fled the mortuary and never returned, wandering aimlessly for a year before Voormas sensed her.

She has served Voormas ever since, though she dreams of escape. She’s interested in studying vampires, playing flute and performing assassinations for Voormas.

Image: Theora is an attractive woman in her mid-20’s with a slender build, medium length dark brown hair and bright brown eyes. She dresses mostly in black, as is the custom around the Chantry. On Earth, however, she dresses in colorful dresses.

Roleplaying Notes: You are a frightened, innocent and slightly crazy young woman in a no-win situation. You would do anything to be free of your responsibilities to the Chantry and to live a “Normal” life. You’re jovial and friendly but perform your duties with the solemnity and precision of a seasoned assassin.

Sanctum: Theora spends as much time as possible on Earth in the Chantries Miami house. She has a cozy, five room sanctum filled with all the modern comforts, and filled with comfortable, modern furniture and pictures of her family.

Okay, so far, we’ve got two utter psychopaths and a girl who's mildly nuts but otherwise decent. While I can admit that House of Helekar is more obviously leaning towards being straight up evil, I still find these psychopaths more amusing and interesting than I do the Doissetep Mages.

Nodes of the House of Helekar

Dachau Death Camp

quote:

“This despicable place of human atrocity now serves the Chantry as a place of magical power. The disgusting energy of the death camp is very great, and no other Tradition (or Convention) would employ such a place as a Node”

Jesus Christ. Even the evil Technocracy draws the line at taking Quintessence from a loving concentration camp, so I guess the Technocracy has some morals. Also I may be misremembering but I’m pretty sure that Dachau is also a Necropolis in Charnel Houses of Europe, so not only are these Euthanatos rolling in and harnessing a source of incredibly dark energy, ignoring that it’s just loving gross to harvest Quintessence from a god drat concentration camp, but they’re also likely loving up the Shadowlands version of Dachau with this poo poo.

Okay I take back what I said about liking these guys, they’re monsters.

Rothchild’s Wax Museum

A wax museum built in Winchester, England by the Euthanatos, it rests over a node site where an ancient temple once stood. The museum uses the embalmed and wax coated bodies of those who have been given the Good Death and altered to look like famous historical figures. Hell, some of them are historical figures.

Okay you’ve swung me back to kinda liking these guys because the spooky, corpse filled wax museum is great, even if they’re just stealing from House of Wax.

The Obelisk of Thanatos

Located in Jordan and well hidden by members of the cult, it is a large bluish-black, rectangular marble column standing (wait for it….) 30 feet high and adorned with carvings and a stone door. Anyone who steps into the small black chamber behind the door and closes it will receive a vision of someone’s death, usually their own or that of someone the viewer must kill to accomplish a personal goal. This death scene takes place as if it were an illusion before the viewer. If the Mage commits the murder, they often feel as if they are being watched (possibly by themselves from another time and place)

Okay, that’s also cool. Though I wonder what old Talaq thinks about having Euthanatos running around his country.

The Necropolis of Brujhi

Located below the streets of Old Delhi, the necropolis is accessible only through a special entrance found under an old building which leads into a maze filled with various deadly traps. The Necropolis is a huge underground city filled with strange creatures known as Crypt-Fiends, that feast on the ancient bones of the former civilization, as well as hunting and eating each other. They are gargoyle-like humanoids with skin colors ranging from moldy gray-green to dusty brown and greasy black, and they have glowing red eyes that allow them to see in absolute darkness. Besides the Crypt-fiends, the necropolis is full of buildings, bridges and streets, as well as a dark, brackish lake near the center. If something lives in the lake, no one knows about it.

Okay, once again, you’re swinging me back into thinking this group is pretty cool, as you’ve now given me three interesting Nodes that do a quite a bit of heavy lifting to make you forget that they’re using loving DACHAU as a Node.

The Monkey’s Heart

A giant red rock in the shape of a monkey’s heart located in Cameroon, Africa. It holds great power for those who know how to use it. With the correct ritual, a body placed at the foot of the Heart may be brought back to life. The victim suffers any ailments they had pre-death as well as rigor mortis which must be cured through magic. If the body was embalmed, the victim becomes an animated, zombie-like corpse.

The Nameless Pit

Another former BSD caern that was captured by the Euthanatos 40 years ago and located in northern Kentucky. The upper levels resemble a gigantic cave complex, but further down the tunnels become uniform and a ward placed by the Mages protects it from Wyrm minions. This is the only thing that has kept the Node from being overrun by Wyrm creatures from the depths or from being haunted by the spirits of the slain BSD, who are now trapped in the caern below the pit.

Tomorrow: The rest of House of Helekar and more tradition Chantries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The Technocracy overtones of Doissetep are pretty important late in the run: House Janissary are the latest incarnation of the Ixoi, who previously worked as the Order of Reason's secret police, and have been deliberately inducing infighting and paranoia in the Council for centuries. Caeron Mustai is a particularly weird guy who's simultaneously Ixoi, Ahl-i-Batin, and partly properly Hermetic, gets mirked fighting Porthos during the events of Weinberg's second trilogy, survives and returns for Ascension, destroying the House itself and working to bring about the apocalypse.