Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Three hundred? Is that possible? I can get up to 60 right now. Do I just need to start paying them huge bribes every turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dolash posted:

Three hundred? Is that possible? I can get up to 60 right now. Do I just need to start paying them huge bribes every turn?

Be at war with the people they are at war with and repeatedly kill them. Also yes bribes.

Confederating in WH2 is hard and is largely an effort to poach LLs before they die, not earn territory.

E: also don't be allied with people they don't like.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ravenfood posted:

Confederating in WH2 is hard and is largely an effort to poach LLs before they die, not earn territory.

This is the main thing. Want Mannfred and the Red Duke to round out my gang of legends with Kemmler, Vlad, and Isabella, walking across the map. I do also need Castle Drakenhof for my victory condition, though a military alliance will do and Mannfred wants one of those real bad.

Now I just need to figure out how to fight the Wood Elves without being turned to mulch. Cavalry archers that can break contact and disappear and Treekin/Dryads who couldn't care less about rusty swords and spears is making my usual tactics ineffective.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is why I got the "recruit dead LLs" mod.

It's nice because, so long as a vampire faction exists, you'll fight the full menagerie of vampire legendary lords. Much more importantly, it's extremely nice because you can just get the LLs from factions that die across the world if you want. Or kill them. Whatever you want!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i love it when weird poo poo happens

in my latest kislev game kraka drak have pushed back all their enemies and are comfortably chilling in their own province

i have never ever seen them survive past 20 turns before

It's great when minor factions come out on top. Like a non league club going deep in the FA cup.

Not dissimilarity the current dominant greenskin faction in my current campaign is Skarsnik of all people. He has confederated a few other LLs but I haven't seen Grimgor yet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dolash posted:

Spam agent actions on people they don't like, repeateadly sack their settlements, etc.

Dolash posted:

Now I just need to figure out how to fight the Wood Elves without being turned to mulch. Cavalry archers that can break contact and disappear and Treekin/Dryads who couldn't care less about rusty swords and spears is making my usual tactics ineffective.

Against WE in general I go for a 2:1 army advantage if I can't outshoot them. That or armies made up of mostly fast moving units.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Number advantage is my go-to against woodelf, can't shoot my army dead if they don't have enough ammo for everyone.

Then sack and burn the forest to the ground.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Cythereal posted:

I never used crane gunners in my Cathay IM campaign before, but I've got a couple on loan from Miao Ying in this Katarin RoC campaign and they feel remarkably useful. I feel like something I've struggled with as Kislev is picking off hard targets that are too small for little groms to be reliable against (like, say, Valkia whenever she comes knocking), but adding a couple of crane gunners has felt very handy.

Katarin's doom-ish stack consists of her, a patriarch specced for healing, a couple of little groms, a whole lot of ice guard with glaives, and now a couple of irondrakes and crane gunners each. Seems to be working very, very well, and now I can focus my money on kitting out Boris with all the bears.

Warplock jezzails fit the same niche and are hugely valuable in being able to reliably take out single models and high-value targets - jezzails and crane gunners (and iirc vampire coast also have an equivalent) are an expensive hammer that do really well at solving a lot of problems, so the ideal use case is using them to solve a problem that the rest of the army doesn't have a good answer for before they get a chance to be a problem. But they're bad value against high-model count units (except to apply shieldbreaker vs shielded targets while your crossbows or equivalent do the actual work), they're vulnerable to bad LOS from terrain making it hard to give them good lines of fire, and they're extremely frail if something gets into them.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

I actually am playing 2, I just saw there was the one thread. Maybe next Steam sale!

I'm sure I could just force it with a mod, but I was hoping to figure out how you're supposed to do it. I vassalized the orcs of Massif Orcal and I know that gives me a diplomacy penalty, but is it an absolute no to vassalize/confederate while they're around? I did also mange to confederate Vlad and Isabella, but they were down to one province and the empire had just destroyed their last army. Even then I had to pay them like 20k.

there actually is a wh2 thread but everyone posts here. confederation is interesting in that you need to be checking every turn. it mainly depends on your relations with the faction, the relative disparity between your army strengths, and if they feel actively threatened by another faction. you can trick some factions into confederating if you Military Alliance them, then declare a bunch of wars

it also helps not to have too many alliances at once so you don't get pulled into wars and your main bae doesn't. which would lower your relative rankings

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My favorite Kraka Drak story was where I helped them as Nakai in WH2 (as a norscan enemy in the north, it seemed fitting) and helped them slowly expand by consuming any army that got near them and ensuring their enemies were always weak. Got them up to like 3 whole provinces even, where they had full control. Military alliance, working together for the good of Order!

And then like 80 turns in they declared war on defenders of the great plan.

So I turned around and razed their entire empire to the ground. They clearly didn't respect the Old Ones.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Just ran into the most obvious "AI cheats" moment yet. I've got Grombrindal about to attack Taurox's herdstone on the next turn, and I have an army encamped next to some ruins in the bloodground (which I can't colonize, because, bloodground), so when I drop the stone I can pop right in.

Khatep just settles it. Herdstone's still there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ulthuan is spicier than I expected now that Belakor and his vassal immediately rush down to double team the northeast minors with N'kari. Eltharion can handle one but not both and Alarielle's gone feral and is racing Noctilus to see who can murder the western helf minors first.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 2, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sindai posted:

Ulthuan is spicier than I expected now that Belakor and his vassal immediately rush down to double team the northeast minors with N'kari. Eltharion can handle one but not both and Alarielle's gone feral and is racing Noctilus to see who can murder the western helf minors first.

Yeah Ulthuan can get pretty hectic now, it's great. Even the Dark Elf minor that starts up north can cause a lot of trouble. That said my last Tyrion campaign I ignored Ulthuan entirely and started shipping armies off around the world to seize every elven colony. Pretty fun dumping a stack of early game units in the middle of Lustria and telling them to figure it out

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Followed the advice here and collected the whole set of Counts like Kemmler was Zordon looking for five legendary vampires with attitude, thanks for the assist!

My plan to finally stick it to the wood elves got derailed when Chaos showed up from the north and suddenly all my second-string lords with armies of skeletons on garrison duty arent cutting it. I may have to buckle down and build some serious high-tier armies instead of just filling up on grave guard and black knights and calling it a day, but the temptation to expoit vampire immortality and dirt cheap, upkeep free, instant raised zombies and skeletons and just drown them in endless waves is real.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Chosen die as easily to Winds of Death as everyone else.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've been too in love with spamming summoned skeletons to pay enough attention to the attack spells, but I tried a vampire on a flying mount blasting enemies clean off the wall until my skellies had a clear path to climb up there and now I see what I've been missing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dolash posted:

I've been too in love with spamming summoned skeletons to pay enough attention to the attack spells, but I tried a vampire on a flying mount blasting enemies clean off the wall until my skellies had a clear path to climb up there and now I see what I've been missing.
Winds of Death is the most powerful spell in WH2. Zombies and skeletons, especially summoned zombies, are there to hold enemies in place so you can overcast Winds and vaporize everything.

The real powergamer move is to prioritize getting the Knowledgeable trait on heroes in general and necromancers in particular. IIRC it adds 5 Winds of Magic to all armies factionwide, so you can just never stop casting.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Dolash posted:

WoD is literally the best spell in the game and you should be going straight for it with every lord who can cast it. But the real trick is since you're on game 2, is you need a lore keeper trait stack running around and building up your provinces for free, with a focus on the growth building, since at tier 3 it gives +1 start rank to necros. You'll eventually be able to have freshly recruited necros that can cast WoD from the word go and free up points on lords for other things, like casting WoD on another part of the map.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they nerfed knowledgeable hard in the warhammer 3 transition

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ravenfood posted:

Winds of Death is the most powerful spell in WH2. Zombies and skeletons, especially summoned zombies, are there to hold enemies in place so you can overcast Winds and vaporize everything.

The real powergamer move is to prioritize getting the Knowledgeable trait on heroes in general and necromancers in particular. IIRC it adds 5 Winds of Magic to all armies factionwide, so you can just never stop casting.
and iirc you can park them all on Drakenhoff for a multiplicative income bonus to make something approaching Elf Money (unless you want to peel a few off to boost construction times)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Dolash posted:

yeah, that's the missing piece

zombies and skeletons won't do jack against the heavily armored Chaos roster except tire them out a bit, but vampire magic is no joke

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They nerfed vampire magic pretty hard in 3. It's still good, but wind of death isn't killing half an army that you tricked into piling on your zombies.

Instead that's what pit of shades is for.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

They nerfed vampire magic pretty hard in 3. It's still good, but wind of death isn't killing half an army that you tricked into piling on your zombies.

Imo, Winds is still better. It ate a big nerf but still is one of the best spells around. The real nerf is not having access to several hundred winds of magic by the endgame.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they nerfed knowledgeable hard in the warhammer 3 transition

Knowledgeable is indeed useless in WH3, but for those still playing WH2, it rules. There is another trait that vamps get in WH3, Lore Keeper, which is arguably better but functions differently:

Winds of Magic power reserve: +1 per turn (own army)
Winds of Magic power reserve capacity: +8 (own army)

Also dread incarnate (-4 leadership local region) doom stack.

Adding +10% research rate isn't great on it's own, even stacking it with heroes is meh because you can get +research followers easily by fighting battles with research turned off. Minus construction cost on heroes (not lords) is more useful but you only need 10 max because it stacks additively.

Ravenfood posted:

Imo, Winds is still better. It ate a big nerf but still is one of the best spells around. The real nerf is not having access to several hundred winds of magic by the endgame.

winds still does rule. Lore of Vampires has been nerfed 3 times and is still the best lore, though arguably lore of life is coming up on it.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 3, 2023

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Winds of death is for certain better if you can get the enemy lined up properly, though it can be tricky if the enemy has ranged superiority/a lot of skirmish units and you have to charge them.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The thing that took awhile to click for me with Winds of Death in TWW3 is, regular-cast it's a fine whatever spell. Overcasted it's the "ohhh word, every model in that unit now has 1 hp remaining" spell we know and love and run a mortis engine past for an instant huge chunk of murder

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
oh and since it's a wind, it's easy to line up for a bounce during walled settlement battles.

Carcer posted:

Winds of death is for certain better if you can get the enemy lined up properly, though it can be tricky if the enemy has ranged superiority/a lot of skirmish units and you have to charge them.

With enough experience, you can lure the AI+time the spells to hit moving units. AI does attempt to dodge if it's units are stationary, but if they are moving, you can hit them. Overcasting depends on the whether you can risk eating the damage. For one-sided battles it probably doesn't matter, for close battles it might.

With human players, you have to catch them out and hope they aren't paying attention or else stress their micro.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dwarfs can't move quick enough to get out of the way of a Winds of Death which is good because it's the perfect spell to use on them.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

wiegieman posted:

It wasn't that bad, although you do want to be a bit more strategic with it. The main nerf was the WoD did something most winds didn't do - it had multi-hit. It would hit 2 times per model within it, which is quite strong (and might have been an accident/bug, not sure on that). It now only hits once per model, but they reduced the cost to compensate somewhat. However, mastery applies to it, and the Skull of Katam is uniquely great for VCounts because it gives you 40% spell mastery for a DoT on the user for 27 seconds. Skull + Overcast = pretty close to old WoD, for less winds.

To be clear, it did get nerfed, but they compensated for that nerf on the WoM cost. And, I'd say, it was straight broken in game 2 and ultimately degenerate because it was so insanely good it dictated The One True strategy. The changes made some other approaches have similar utility which has overall made the faction more flexible, even if WoD is still the main strat.

However, it does still absolutely wreck entire armies, it just won't delete entire stacks of chosen at once now. That's what the second cast/pit of shades/pendulum/cav charge is for.

As a side note, its actually fairly easy to get allied with cathay as a lot of VCounts, which can give you access to the war compass. 4 of those in your blob will bring your WoD back to old WoD level, add in a Skull of Katam and you're at 200% intensity and full old WoD, while being cheaper on WoM. And since you're blobbing anyways, its actually not that hard to keep them safe. Win-win!

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

jokes posted:

Dwarfs can't move quick enough to get out of the way of a Winds of Death which is good because it's the perfect spell to use on them.

9/10, the moment Vlad gets WoD, I stomp the immediate dwarven neighbors out of existence. Mind you, half the time Zhufbar has declared on me instead of dealing with their greenskin threats, so that's a bit annoying, but it makes sieging a breeze. The climate ain't the best, but there is a lot of money in securing the northern World's Edge, and it gives time for the empire to get torn apart in civil war/chaos/wood elf hell. Chorfs have changed this calculus though - in the ideal setup the Slayer King is already at war with them, so you can parley the shared war (or even the war dec) into treaties with chorfs, and then all the kicking rear end of shared enemies tends to make that front relatively safe. God I loving love VCounts.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
VCounts would be a solid 25% of my games if Lizardmen didn't exist.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 3, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
same, but just oxyotl and his different-faction-fighting rear end

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Random question here, has anyone ever encountered a bug where they cannot recruit heroes? doing co-op as Kemmler and I can't recruit anything, 0/2 capacity and it says I've reached the cap and can't recruit more.

No idea what could be causing it, only got the community bugfix and the new immortal empire map + mixer's unlocker going, wondering if the new map has issues somehow.
Deleting every other hero let's me get a replacement but still limited to 1 dude, even downloading a +20 cap mod doesn't let me get any.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 3, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Random question here, has anyone ever encountered a bug where they cannot recruit heroes? doing co-op as Kemmler and I can't recruit anything, 0/2 capacity and it says I've reached the cap and can't recruit more.

No idea what could be causing it, only got the community bugfix and the new immortal empire map + mixer's unlocker going, wondering if the new map has issues somehow.
Deleting every other hero let's me get a replacement but still limited to 1 dude, even downloading a +20 cap mod doesn't let me get any.

mods are probably fuckin it up

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
My personal favorite is lining up a wall of dudes at the map edge waiting for enemy reinforcements to arrive and dropping WoD on them and instantly watching them flee

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Of course the first game I have where Oxyotl doesn't completely clown Kairos, is the first time I play Tiktaq'to and need big bird to die

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

WoD is the reason I hesitate to put all my necromancers on corpse carts. Sticking them on a normal horse helps them get much better angles.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I keep trying to play through a high elf game in WH2 but they're just so boring. Same with dark elves :shrug:

Keep getting pulled into a vc game cuz of how interesting their campaign and battle mechanics are, which is funny cuz one of my other favorite factions is dwarves which are the polar opposite.

Come to think of it, all the wh1 factions are very interesting and unique to play and the elves just feel very.....standard. Stereotypical fantasy, I guess.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

WoD is the reason I hesitate to put all my necromancers on corpse carts. Sticking them on a normal horse helps them get much better angles.
I think the corpse carts are worth it. Just make sure your necromancers are relatively near the flanks of your blob and your vampire can cover anything else you need. You'll easily be able to redirect your Winds to cover pretty much anything you need from there and the passive bonuses the carts give are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1687493851588521984?s=20

i guess announcement next week?