Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The HP Pavilion DV Series. I would like to posit that this is the shittiest laptop of all time.

1) It overheated constantly. Dogshit thermals meant that it was too hot to use on your lap. HP eventually released a BIOS update to try to fix this, but their "fix" was to just ramp the fan up all of the time. So it became slightly cooler (but still hot) and really loud. Also the battery life went from lovely to more lovely

2) The trackpad was stuck in that inbetween period between single touch and multi touch. Synaptics eventually made a new driver that supported multi touch, but it was janky and never worked right.

3) You could get them with Blu-Ray drives, which was cool for their time, and played into their "DV" name, but they had terrible resolutions, with most of them stuck at 1366x768 or 1600x900, so you couldnt even watch a 1080 Blu-Ray at full resolution.

4) The worst, piss poor industrial design of all time. The abstract floral-ish pattern, the shiny, finger-print attracting plastic everywhere, the contrasting colors all over it. Garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What a snype

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ew that design looks like someone spilled milk on it in the thumbnails

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

WARNING
this is not a laptop of honor
no good deeds can be committed here
we are not proud of this product

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i recoiled at the shiny interior. why

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Agile Vector posted:

i recoiled at the shiny interior. why

so you can never turn the monitor on

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I remember when laptops were all made of that bendy plastic poo poo. Bad times.

my work HP gets dangerously hot because its vents are in such a dumb place but I didn't pay for it so who csres

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I shudder at the thought how many families were duped into buying this plasticky piece of crap as a "family laptop"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
most hp laptops are absolute garbage and always have been

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Beve Stuscemi posted:

2) The trackpad was stuck in that inbetween period between single touch and multi touch. Synaptics eventually made a new driver that supported multi touch, but it was janky and never worked right.

omg i had an acer notebook that had this exact same situation, the half-assed multitouch would gently caress up single-finger usage all the time but it was impossible to do multitouch

it was a really bad laptop but my expectations were "slightly better than a phone with a slideout keyboard" so I really liked it until it got stolen; it was small enough you could hold it like a big hardback book to read pdfs :3:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

laserghost posted:

I shudder at the thought how many families were duped into buying this plasticky piece of crap as a "family laptop"

Its me, im the idiot you're talking about, which is why I know so much about the specific ways in which that laptop was lovely. The aforementioned BIOS update made the fan so loud that I couldnt use the laptop in bed any more because it kept my wife up. And before the new driver came out to make the trackpad multitouch, the only option was a hacked driver from a forum somewhere that ironically worked better than the thing that Synaptics put out.

I work in ewaste and that laptop just came in and gave me serious PTSD

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

a loud fan would help me sleep, unless it had noticeable oscillation in its speed, then that’s all i would be able to focus on

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lol remember those Alienware gamer laptops that were absolutely massive and had a battery life of about 5 minutes?

also external GPUs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh gently caress I just remembered when some salesman guy turned up with an Acer Ferrari brand laptop in bright red with a Ferrari logo on the back and when you turned it on it made the noise of an engine revving

absolutely incredible mid level sales energy lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

polyester concept posted:

a loud fan would help me sleep, unless it had noticeable oscillation in its speed, then that’s all i would be able to focus on

Not my wife, she needs something like the TV to fall asleep, and she focuses on white noise for whatever reason.

The ironic part was that the bed was the easiest place to use that laptop, because it ran so drat hot, so if I wanted to relax and use it, I couldnt kick back in the la-z-boy with it, because it would fry my lap

Then a couple years later the world got the ipad and poo poo like that was never a problem again

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol remember those Alienware gamer laptops that were absolutely massive and had a battery life of about 5 minutes?

also external GPUs

thankfully the gamer laptop with hilarious battery life, massive sound and equally massive fan noise is a timeless aesthetic

there's a weird external GPU resurgence happening lately thanks to the adoption of thunderbolt 4 and people trying to use mini PCs as hardcore gaming setups for youtube views

oh gently caress I just remembered when some salesman guy turned up with an Acer Ferrari brand laptop in bright red with a Ferrari logo on the back and when you turned it on it made the noise of an engine revving

LGR on youtube has covered this thing before, its hilarious. also a lamborghini one because asus wanted some of that action too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to have an alienware with a 4th gen i7 and DUAL GTX 880M's in it.

It was like 5 inches thick, and even with the reduced GPU power that it forced you to use when on battery, the battery still only lasted like 30 minutes if the GPU's were actually in use. If you kept it on the intel embedded GPU it was slightly better. The fact that it ran a desktop i7 didnt help matters. It was a monster for the time, but it was essentially a really small desktop.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh god desktop processors in laptops lol

I think I remember that we had one of those in the electronics shop I worked in that had a 1ghz P3 in it and that had about 15 minutes battery life and was basically a fire hazard

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

My idiot father for some dumbass reason thought that getting two of these, used, was a good investment. One turned up non-functional and the second one ran like poo poo. He was always easy to hype for stupidest poo poo somebody wanted to get rid of lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

most hp laptops are absolute garbage and always have been
hp

huge pile

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

oh god desktop processors in laptops lol

I think I remember that we had one of those in the electronics shop I worked in that had a 1ghz P3 in it and that had about 15 minutes battery life and was basically a fire hazard

the funniest thing I’ve found watching the current trend of windows xp laptop nostalgia is that the desktop pentium 4 got used in laptops a bunch because the mobile p4 was such dogshit

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
a few years ago, gaming laptop’s started drawing so much power that they needed 2 power bricks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The HP Pavilion DV Series. I would like to posit that this is the shittiest laptop of all time.

I had to work on dozens of these in my computer shop days

how did they manufacture a laptop that was greasy, stright out of the factory

Disgusting overheating pieces of poo poo, failing power jacks and nasty kid fingerprints covering all of them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh god thats so embarrassing :o:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there was this sales dude that joined one of the places i worked at (long long time ago)

"hey jonny what laptop should i get? they said i get $x"

"Well, for sales, I think a macbook air or low end pro is really classy, it'll never break, and the battery lasts a long time"

"okay"

Comes in the next day with this thing. "Got a great deal!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think my biggest question about those Ferrari Acers is why the hell did Ferrari lend their name to that? you’d think they’d be more protective of their brand.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

polyester concept posted:

for whatever reason the sound of a HDD motor and the seeking sounds would help me fall asleep if i was using my laptop in bed or laying on the couch

i could just shut my eyes and focus a bit on the whirrrr and the clicks, and i'd be out cold in a minute or two

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also external GPUs

A college friend of mine had one of the first Alienware gamer laptops. The desktop CPU and GPU drew so much current that it could not run at full power on the battery alone. Even throttled down, as you note, it had like a 30 minute battery life.

That's pretty dumb, but what really put the cherry on top was that the desktop hardware of that era didn't have BIOS-level power control. To throttle the CPU and GPU down to a level the battery could handle, they had a little taskbar program that ran in the background. Since this didn't load until windows loaded, the laptop would always start up at full power, which meant you could not boot it up on the battery. Once it was running and logged in you could unplug it and carry it around for half an hour, but if you shut it down without a power supply handy you were out of luck. :discourse:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
late-era blackberry had a design relationship with porsche

it went about as well as everything else late-era blackberry did

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I think my biggest question about those Ferrari Acers is why the hell did Ferrari lend their name to that? you’d think they’d be more protective of their brand.

i'm guessing they bet that the kind of people who buy ferraris would never mingle with the kind of people who would buy a ferrari acer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kitten smoothie posted:

for whatever reason the sound of a HDD motor and the seeking sounds would help me fall asleep if i was using my laptop in bed or laying on the couch

i could just shut my eyes and focus a bit on the whirrrr and the clicks, and i'd be out cold in a minute or two

yea i kinda miss the clicks tbh, idk felt like stuff was happening

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF4GPKaOIWk

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

FMguru posted:

late-era blackberry had a design relationship with porsche

i had one of those lacie "porsche design" external hard drives.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
too bad there's no real reason any more to track down the old bmw x thermaltake collab

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

there was this sales dude that joined one of the places i worked at (long long time ago)

"hey jonny what laptop should i get? they said i get $x"

"Well, for sales, I think a macbook air or low end pro is really classy, it'll never break, and the battery lasts a long time"

"okay"

Comes in the next day with this thing. "Got a great deal!"

hey

hey what the gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this was mid 00s too so it was a p4 fusion plant. just screaming fans and 27 minutes on battery.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

that looks like a standard sales guy laptop to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's what i'm saying

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

there was a sales guy at my old job who kept breaking his stuff (by throwing computers out of windows, running them over, etc.), so he always had POS laptops like that

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if it was the p4 era then it would be ibooks and powerbooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

there was a sales guy at my old job who kept breaking his stuff (by throwing computers out of windows, running them over, etc.), so he always had POS laptops like that

king poo poo

on pavilion chat, the desktops were righteous turds too. every fall at gatech.edu a bunch of freshmen would show up with them and they all defaulted to workgroup name and computer name "pavilion" so they just poo poo all over each other until a volunteer resnet computer janitor like me came by and changed it for them.