Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I'm the most excited for further optimization tweaks so I can run my megafactories at a reasonable framerate but I'll try the combat update too when they finish it, looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Soulfucker posted:

I'm the most excited for further optimization tweaks so I can run my megafactories at a reasonable framerate but I'll try the combat update too when they finish it, looks good.

we need more optimization so we can expand the factory to be slow again

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey I just started a new save file after finishing the game like two years ago. This time I'm going to try out some mods, and I'm getting a bit stuck. Apparently everything requires BepInEx, which is fair enough, but all the instructions for installing mods after that refer to subfolders that don't exist.

EDIT: you need to run the game with bepinex once, in order for it to create those subfolders.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 28, 2023

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Is there a mod manager yet that doesn't require that atrocious app that is constantly trying to pull down ads?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Slickdrac posted:

Is there a mod manager yet that doesn't require that atrocious app that is constantly trying to pull down ads?

Yes?

https://thunderstore.io/package/ebkr/r2modman/

I didn't even realize the R2modman was not the official method until just the other day. It's the #2 item on Thunderstore (behind BepInEx) for a reason.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 29, 2023

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

I'm so drat slow to get off the ground in this game. I set up trickles of everything, but can't ever motivate myself to scale up anything until I get ILSs with warpers, both because having to redo spaghetti seems like a chore, even though its also satisfying, and because I'm much too afraid of running out of some resource in the starting system.
Much easier to just let the game run for a while when doing a grocery run or walking the dog.
At 68 hours and just got to warpers (with 1.5 million silicon still remaining in-system...), NOW the real game begins!

I'll get my rear end handed to me by scaling enemy activity when combat comes out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Reduce or eliminate threat scaling based on time will probably be the move, I've been doing this in Factorio for years now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you guys gently caress with mk2 logistics? I skip the mk2 belts and sorters entirely, go straight to mk3

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I use them. Some things don’t need mk3 and it’s easy enough to upgrade the things that do

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mk1 anything is so drat slow I upgrade to mk2 asap and just move on to mk3 once I have an assembly line for them. I don't typically rush any particular tech.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Mk1 anything is so drat slow I upgrade to mk2 asap and just move on to mk3 once I have an assembly line for them. I don't typically rush any particular tech.

Same. Blue motors are a little annoying to get to, and I always end up bottlenecked at green motors anyhow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's because you are only making half as many engines as you need.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I never really used a lot of Mk3 belts, except where needed (e.g. fractionators). By the time I can easily make belt3s, I can also easily make towers, and belt3 setups can sometimes get kind of ridiculously long.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can make an ILS feeding four rows of 24 smelters per line for a 1:1 ore out of one tower using mk 3s. Max for mk2 is 12. (I think, I haven't played ina while) Like you should absolutely be using mk3 belts for all your smelting towers, if not literally everything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
/shrug. By that time I’m living in a post-scarcity world.

Edit: wait I think I’m mistaken and it’s the T3 sorters I rarely bother with.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 19, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

zoux posted:

That's because you are only making half as many engines as you need.

This is always true.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

/shrug. By that time I’m living in a post-scarcity world.

Edit: wait I think I’m mistaken and it’s the T3 sorters I rarely bother with.

Either way if you're post scarcity you can just swap everything to t3 and never worry about capacity ever again. Bonus: saves on logistics slots and inventory space.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Many dumplings died for this update.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1366540/view/3678926034857597016?l=english

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I appreciate the frank and playful tone they take in their updates. I’m waiting patiently for the update but am beyond excited.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Hey so I need some advice! Got this game awhile ago, loved it but didn't really have the time for it. I'm doing a lot of traveling now so have time in hotels to crank into it. Game is still so good.

However! I've reached a point where I am just overwhelmed with hydrogen. Initially I just plopped down a bunch of Casimir assemblers and that solved it, but then I started paving my gas giant in extractors for deuterium and the problem is back and way worse.

What am I supposed to do with all this hydrogen? It's gotten to the point my deuterium is stuck because the extractors turn off when full of hydrogen and I don't have space for it to be unloaded.

I just feel like I am missing something. Or am I not intended to use gas giants as a primary source of deuterium (long term I'm sure I'm not but leap frogging a bit before coming back to deal with the colliders and what not seemed like a nice idea)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Late game there's two options:

1) a disgusting amount of centrifuges running your hydrogen over and over again until it magically becomes deuterium. Takes up a lot of space, also is somehow affected by spray bonus last time I checked (don't ask why/how, it just works)

2) a disgusting amount of power to start smashing your hydrogen into deuterium.

Both will start making space by converting hydrogen into valuable deuterium. Option 1 is the "efficient" way due to the 1:1 conversion, Option 2 is the brute force way, but probably also gives you more breathing room in your storage since the conversion is less than 1:1.

Bonus Option 3) start turning your hydrogen into fuel cans and use those and only those to power some planets. Doesn't work super well when mixed with other power production options since the rate this burns hydrogen depends on how much power is being burnt.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Here's how I solved my hydrogen problems:

1. Build a massive casimir facility. Hydrogen inputs to this facility will be either exclusively belted in or set to local demand only.

2. Nearby build three logistics stations, A B and C.
A and B both belt hydrogen into a splitter that prioritises the input of A. The splitter then feeds into C.

3. Settings as follows:

A: Remote demand, local storage. Untick orbital collectors
B: Remote demand, local storage. Tick orbital collectors
C: Remote storage, local supply. Optionally belt hydrogen directly from this to your casimir facility

The result of this is that your casimir facility pulls all its hydrogen from C, and C will always prioritise hydrogen produced by your other factories. The ABC setup can be a bottleneck, if this is the case then just build copies of it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Always always always build out your initial hydrogen supply belts such that you can prioritize use of locally-produced byproduct hydrogen over off-planet H.

I like to source most of my initial Deuterium from a gas giant or three as well, and having that volume of hydrogen on interstellar logistics means that the simplest solution is to ensure that your production worlds never try to ship hydrogen off-planet as a form of sink and always need more besides.

To accomplish this, I might have a continent’s worth of thermal generators set up to preferentially burn just raw H even after new mining outposts are getting Deuterium rods for their power.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Finagle posted:

What am I supposed to do with all this hydrogen? It's gotten to the point my deuterium is stuck because the extractors turn off when full of hydrogen and I don't have space for it to be unloaded.

The gas giant extractors don't do this, even if hydrogen is full they'll keep on extracting deuterium. The problem is that they don't extract much deuterium, not enough to keep up with serious demand even with 40 collectors on a gas giant. (edit: I think farther out gas giants produce enough deuterium, but not the one you start in orbit of)

(Annoyingly the gas giant collectors do burn fuel to power themselves, and don't preferentially burn hydrogen before deuterium, so some deuterium will be burnt chemically. Nothing you can do about this though.)

Hydrogen byproduct is produced in three places:

1- Oil Refining
2- Fire Ice > Graphene processing
3- White cube production

From the sound of it you aren't dealing with either of the second two cases. For oil processing you can use the reform refining recipe and turn coal + hydrogen into more refined oil. Use a splitter to prioritize the reformed oil over the original refined oil.

Eventually down the road the only thing that strictly requires refined oil is plastic to produce particle broadband, but it takes some work and interstellar warping to get there. Acid and organic crystals can be extracted directly and doing so greatly reduces the footprint of things requiring them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a dumb question, but do you need your research buildings to have all ingredients simultaneously, or can you spread them out in different hubs?

In other words, can I have a set of research buildings consuming blue matrices, and another set of research building elsewhere, consuming red matrices, and a third set consuming yellow matrices in a third space?
Or do the buildings only progress technology if they have all ingredients simultaneously?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Depends on the tech. Some tech only needs one sort of cube, but a lot of the late ones need all of them. The repeatable infinite techs only take white cubes, but you make those as a combo of all the other ones.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

alright, thx

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All cubes have to go to the same lab complex.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Making cubes can happen separately. Burning cubes, they all gotta go in the same pot. That necessary 6th input for white cubes makes planning offramps tricky.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Enemies update is scheduled to release in December

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHphozlQCgk

I was super excited after the announcement of hostile AI, but I'm still not entirely sure how to feel about the way it looks to be implemented.

- we're getting cannon & missile turrets, each need to be supplied with ammunition
- dedicated (?) AOE type turrets that trigger supernovae
- personal, localized and planetary shields
- different kinds of critters that are coming after your infrastructure planetside
- interplanetary / orbital critters that target your infrastructure with beam-type weapons (looks pretty cool, but could use a bit more of a graphic spicing-up for the ground-impact)
- reconstruction tech that seems to automate repairing / rebuilding destroyed infrastructure
- both planetary AI bases and hostile structures in space

Not sure how the expansion and "aggravation" of the hostile AI as it was originally advertised is going to work. Are those AI starbases preexisting, and once you aggravate the AI through expansion / tech advance / energy generation (?), they start to expand and infiltrate planets, or are there AI-settled planets?
That said, still stoked for the update.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The only thing I'm not excited for is losing my nice neat 100/100 achievement score

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ugh. That's so incredibly not what I'm interested in in this game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah personally still bummed they went combat instead of megaprojects

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It looks like fun to me. A bigger design constraint to work around. Hopefully once they fully finish it off there’s a Death Star-type project to work on :getin:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I do hope they keep developing the non combat side of the game for the people who aren't into it. Maybe I won't be into it when I actually play it, I'm just excited to have another reason to revisit one of my favourite games

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Enemies update is scheduled to release in December

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHphozlQCgk

I was super excited after the announcement of hostile AI, but I'm still not entirely sure how to feel about the way it looks to be implemented.

- we're getting cannon & missile turrets, each need to be supplied with ammunition
- dedicated (?) AOE type turrets that trigger supernovae
- personal, localized and planetary shields
- different kinds of critters that are coming after your infrastructure planetside
- interplanetary / orbital critters that target your infrastructure with beam-type weapons (looks pretty cool, but could use a bit more of a graphic spicing-up for the ground-impact)
- reconstruction tech that seems to automate repairing / rebuilding destroyed infrastructure
- both planetary AI bases and hostile structures in space

Not sure how the expansion and "aggravation" of the hostile AI as it was originally advertised is going to work. Are those AI starbases preexisting, and once you aggravate the AI through expansion / tech advance / energy generation (?), they start to expand and infiltrate planets, or are there AI-settled planets?
That said, still stoked for the update.

Scond video showing them going into stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koLBbx1r9YI

So far they've only really shown off the ground stuff. I imagine you'll be building some sort of space ship to take on the orbital stuff which will show up in another video closer to release. I know combat isn't what everyone looks forward to but I do think it's at least looking kind of cool.

Also when they show off the Gauss Canon in the video I linked you can see the ammo icon on the box they're pulling from is, well, copper colored which lends some strength to the arguments about why star clusters had so much copper the player never felt the need to really worry.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

aren't they making the combat optional?

not like i've played any time recently...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Entirely optional. Turning on combat and upping difficulty just increases metadata.

Ultrapotassium
Feb 13, 2022

I wish the game had better performance. I cant build a second Dyson sphere in this system because perf drops too low :(. I enjoy the "end game" product optimization but I feel like you just have to optimize for fps instead of product efficiency. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Factorio.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm fairly amazed at how seamless the immense number of processes runs throughout the majority of the game. If they could find a way to optimize sails and frames that well, this game would be unbeatable.

But yeah, I'm fighting the stutters too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Ultrapotassium posted:

I wish the game had better performance. I cant build a second Dyson sphere in this system because perf drops too low :(. I enjoy the "end game" product optimization but I feel like you just have to optimize for fps instead of product efficiency. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Factorio.

In case you haven’t already, disable the rendering of the sphere / swarm. You won’t see it when flying around or on a planet but you’ll hopefully get an FPS improvement