Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

daslog posted:

I have a shed without windows and it really sucks because there isn't power for lights. When the door closes on me (and it always does) it's pitch black. Then I kick it open and try to get my poo poo done in 10 seconds before it closes again. At my last house my shed had 4 smallish windows (proportional to the size of the shed as if it was a small house) and I had no problems with lighting.

Maybe invest in a brick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe invest in a brick?

Look at mr practical over here

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
If I ever build a shed, Im putting in a skylight.
We threw away the old skylight (which cost money) when we redid the roof, so there has to be free ones kicking around on the internet somewhere.
The current shed has a window in one end, and one in the door, so lighting isn't bad, but still, skylight would make it better.
The plastic costco shed had clear roof along the ridgeline, and it made a huge difference to lighting inside.

If that high side of the shed faces south, its probably a great window place - hard to tell from the photos

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
If that solar shed light is anything like the one at my parents it'll last year's until some dumbass (me) pulls the cord too hard and it exploderates into a hundred pieces

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I installed a basement window high up on my shed and put some frosted privacy film on it. It added enough light but would have been difficult for someone to use to break in. Though my shed was in the middle of a neighborhood so different risk profile.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not too worried about privacy, yeah.

Seriously considering doing clear corrugated plastic up there now. It won't be useful for like a quarter of the year but that's what headlamps are for.

Not gonna do a skylight though, those leak too easily.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I guess plastic photodegrades, leading to it breaking down faster than a normal roof would? But it's not like that's a terribly big deal, it's easy to remove and replace when the time comes.

EDIT: vvv ahh, nice

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 6, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That polycarbonate cell plastic stuff lasts like 10-20 years, it's UV-resistant and pretty good.
This sort of thing: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-Sunlite-24-in-x-48-in-x-5-16-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Twinwall-Sheet-174040/305560353

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guess plastic photodegrades, leading to it breaking down faster than a normal roof would? But it's not like that's a terribly big deal, it's easy to remove and replace when the time comes.

It does but that just seems to make it cloudy as it sits up there doing its job for decades anyway. Most barns around here just have a sheet of corrugated plastic every few panels and you swap them out every 20 years or whatever. The only time I've had issues was with really old stuff and hail storms.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
End walls now done

The first one with no door was a pain in the rear end to stand up, drag over to where it belonged, and then gradually wiggle-drag out far enough diagonally to get the sheathing (which is by nature wider than the opening between the two corner studs) past the corner studs and push it back into the gap without dropping it off the edge or letting it tip over on me.

Also found out that my harbor freight generator runs a lot better once warmed up if you, uh, turn the choke off

Whoops! Who could have possibly expected that?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Kastein: The generator strangler

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Leperflesh posted:

That polycarbonate cell plastic stuff lasts like 10-20 years, it's UV-resistant and pretty good.
This sort of thing: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-Sunlite-24-in-x-48-in-x-5-16-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Twinwall-Sheet-174040/305560353

It lasts way longer than that but is easier to damage the older it gets. The stuff on my greenhouse doors is probably at least 30 however its probably brittle enough that you could walk right through it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Even cheap solar recharged LED lights are super impressive just in terms of how long they last. Even here in the PNW they hold enough charge in the winter to be useful. I have some that are about 10 years old that still work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Galler posted:

I installed a basement window high up on my shed and put some frosted privacy film on it. It added enough light but would have been difficult for someone to use to break in. Though my shed was in the middle of a neighborhood so different risk profile.

I managed to find four 1' x 2' (as I recall) side sliders at my local Lowes that were returns, and therefore cheap. I assume someone bought them thinking you could use them vertically, but discovered a fact of windows (springs...)
I slide them shut when it get's below about 60F, then open them back up when it gets above that.
Between the open windows, eave vents, and, crucially, the ridge vent I installed (peaked roof,) the shed is actually tolerable in summer here in Texas. It does help that it's mostly shaded by trees, but I'm surprised by how not-hot it is inside.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Don't have any comments on the build process (I have no idea when it comes to that stuff), but man, that Comanche has served you really well. Better than most modern trucks.

Though I can hear the "GODDAMN RENIX" screams from here when it does break.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This one really loves to stick a knife in my back but I think I've finally dragged it out of maintenance debt. The white one was... Far more reliable, despite being in far worse condition. I miss it :sigh:

We've done a few lumber runs with my mother in law's 94 f350 just because it's got an 8ft bed and a 16ft lumber rack and means I didn't have to unload literally everything out of the trailer just to haul lumber with it, but if I had had to, I could have gotten it done with just the MJ and the MJ trailer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well I had to go back east to pack up the hangar because the airport got sold and the seller decided that meant they needed to serve every tenant with notice to quit. A few other tenants decided to straight up ignore it (since it was not sent via a communication medium considered legally enforceable) and a few others decided to file a lawsuit challenging it, but my friends and I found a new spot for the two of them (Jack and Chuck) to move their stuff to and I considered it impetus to get the gently caress out. So I was out there packing all my crap into a 16ft pod for 2 weeks.

Came back to the west coast for good a few days ago and been working on the shed since then. I guess I am putting all the crap from the hangar in the shed, not the stuff in my storage unit... :sigh:

Summer sure is nice here. I got a view of Tahoma while putting the rafters up.

Sure is a big fuckin mountain. 60 miles away and I can see it from drat near sea level.

I'm about to have the roof done (putting the drip edge on now, and using clear poly corrugated like people suggested here) then I can add the door and go hit up a steel supplier for an I beam to run my chainfall and dolly on, since it looks like a 1200lb rotary positioning stage, a 600lb drill press, a 400lb tire machine, and a 300lb tire balancer as well as my 60 gallon air compressor are going to be the first things in the shed, not a bunch of moving boxes. I'm not moving those by hand and the Jeep crane can't do the angle right, so I'm putting an I beam out the door with a support under the far end so I can drive loads under it and just pick them up out of the truck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's a great idea. Lot simpler than a swinging crane or whatever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is going to be a magical place to live, and I don't mean Disney.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's so drat nice out here. That point was really driven home to me by going back east in July to pack. I was soaked with sweat to the point that my entire shirt was saturated and dripping and so were my pants down to the knees, 90 degrees, 98% humidity, moving heavy objects in full sun with no wind. Dew points into the 70 and 80 degrees range. Getting absolutely mobbed by mosquitoes and noseeums and black flies.

Then flew back here and it's, well, today it is partially cloudy, 50% humidity, 60 degree dew point, 75 degrees, and that's the warmest it's going to get today. I'm on my way to home depot and just rolled one window UP because it was a little too chilly for the highway with both down. I haven't used bug spray in this timezone.

Last night I got half the drip edge done and 6 of the 8 rows of roofing.

Barely broke a sweat doing it, too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh man, I thought this was a quick and dirty knock together shed. That looks really nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, I thought you were just gonna do the open vertical bit above the wall in clear polycarb. Doing the whole roof will let in tons of light, but now I'm worried you're inadvertently building a greenhouse. If so, at least it'll be nice and warm in the winter! Anyway it looks like a really solid shed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I would have extended the roof a good foot or more past the wall, but maybe I've spent too much time getting water down the back of my neck at the woodshed, or listening to my dad complain about the lacking eaves in all the wartime housing that went up in Vancouver and Portland with minimal drip edges like that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This IS the quick and dirty knock together version :v:

I'm worried about sun as well but oh well I can always put a tarp over it to cut down on light.

I wanted to make the roof with big eaves but it wasn't in budget at the moment. Maybe in a few years but I also need to plan on moving this shed at some point (fairly certain it encroaches on the area the barn will occupy and it's definitely where the driveway will go) so I decided to save money on roof size and hopefully make it easier to rig and lift by not having eaves.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

Then flew back here and it's, well, today it is partially cloudy, 50% humidity, 60 degree dew point, 75 degrees, and that's the warmest it's going to get today. I'm on my way to home depot and just rolled one window UP because it was a little too chilly for the highway with both down. I haven't used bug spray in this timezone.

I've been in NW Oregon 4 and a half years now and I haven't had a single mosquito bite. I got them all the time back in Illinois and I spent way less time outside there because it was always either way too hot and humid or way too cold. Big fan of the PNW.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I’ve never experienced south/east coast humidity and from that description and from what I’ve always heard from people talking about it, I don’t ever want to. It’s been a bit more humid than usual out here an hour east of Seattle cause of the overcast and a little bit of rain and any more than that sounds absolutely brutal.

Tahoma views ftmfw

I need to get my dirt bike down there to explore your neck of the woods more, looks nice around there. MiL is in Port Townsend area, and I have a friend that has a cabin near Shelton.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Aren’t the fasteners on the roofing meant to be on the peaks not in the valleys?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoSpoon posted:

Aren’t the fasteners on the roofing meant to be on the peaks not in the valleys?

It sucks either way - in the peaks and you have too much flex and heat expansion which will either break the roofing material or loosen the fastener or you put it in the valley and rely on the gasket that is part of the fastener. Putting them in the valley is the accepted correct way. I'm not even sure how you control the torque well enough to put them on the peaks without breaking stuff or bending stuff (in the case of metal roofing).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm a mosquito magnet so I get bit a few times a day regardless (and allegedly this summer is the worst ever for mosquitoes here... Yay climate change) but it's still an order of magnitude better than it was in Mass.

Yeah I'm not really a fan of corrugated roofing for this reason. I've been putting them in the valley since it's easier to get them torqued right but eventually this is probably gonna get snaplock roofing and lights inside once it's moved to a more permanent location.

We're closer to Shelton, I think Port Townsend is about 2hr? Not sure. We went to a state park up there in January '21 and it was pretty nice.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Corrugated roof closure strip. I've seen them in wood and plastic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I used the foam rubber ones at both the top and bottom.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Most of the roofs in this part of the planet are corrugated iron, including mine. Definitely screws on the peaks. I guess we use fancy tek screws that probably help get them just right. Something like this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoSpoon posted:

Most of the roofs in this part of the planet are corrugated iron, including mine. Definitely screws on the peaks. I guess we use fancy tek screws that probably help get them just right. Something like this.

Those look similar to the ones I used for my last metal roof install. The manufacturer very much wanted you putting screws in the valley or the warranty (20 year?) was void.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In Australia we are heavily on the side of metal roofing most of it corrugated. Even the clear stuff comes with a tek screw that only really differs from the normal variety with a jumbo sized rubber cup that not only clamps the sheets down but provides a weather seal and expansion room.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Almost as if it's something you can just look up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It looks like I should have read the manual because guess who didn't lap the roofing 2 rows?

I'm going to ignore that until after I move this drat thing, use caulking or tape if it leaks, and do it right on the second try... Probably with different roofing and lights inside too.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

It looks like I should have read the manual because guess who didn't lap the roofing 2 rows?

I'm going to ignore that until after I move this drat thing, use caulking or tape if it leaks, and do it right on the second try... Probably with different roofing and lights inside too.

You might be able to just cut a piece up to cover the joints and create some overlap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I could, but I'm going to either do nothing or half rear end it for now until after I end up moving it to its final location, and then I'm going to do it correctly.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I recently did some under decking with this stuff and also didn't lap by two, only one. I regret it.
It doesn't leak a ton but definitely leaks during heavy rains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Zipsystem tape it is