Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mike Jackson was a hell of a Jobber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Officially finished 1987 of the NWA/WCW. You can tell the promotion is starting to decline and wrestlers are starting to leave.

I really like the new additions of the UWF wrestlers. Sting, Micheal P.S. Hayes, and Kevin Sullivan are the stand outs. The end of the 4 Horsemen has begun. Not a bad storyline. Nikita is plummeting off the card, but I know this is due to outside wrestling poo poo. Dusty always cuts great promos, but his matches are getting worse. I've come around on Lex Lugarand Barry Windham as they get better in the ring. The tag teams have a number of teams that are fun to watch, but I'm saddened by the short life of the new breed. Mike rotunda, Terry Taylor, barbarian, warlord, and Larry zbyszko are all great mid cards now.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Mr Hootington posted:

Officially finished 1987 of the NWA/WCW. You can tell the promotion is starting to decline and wrestlers are starting to leave.

I really like the new additions of the UWF wrestlers. Sting, Micheal P.S. Hayes, and Kevin Sullivan are the stand outs. The end of the 4 Horsemen has begun. Not a bad storyline. Nikita is plummeting off the card, but I know this is due to outside wrestling poo poo. Dusty always cuts great promos, but his matches are getting worse. I've come around on Lex Lugarand Barry Windham as they get better in the ring. The tag teams have a number of teams that are fun to watch, but I'm saddened by the short life of the new breed. Mike rotunda, Terry Taylor, barbarian, warlord, and Larry zbyszko are all great mid cards now.

How are you watching all of this stuff? I’ve always been interested in watching a chronological year of various promotions and there used to be some good twitch streams for this but they’ve long since gone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

How are you watching all of this stuff? I’ve always been interested in watching a chronological year of various promotions and there used to be some good twitch streams for this but they’ve long since gone.

Youtube playlists and peacock. I started with starrcade '83 and '84 then watched every show I could find from December '84 to January 1988 so far. I recommend it. There are a few bumps, but a lot of good funds, matches, and wrestlers are in there.

I was told to stop at 1988, but I'm thinking about trying to go straight through until the wcw end. I know there are a lot less of the 1989-1994 shows available just from eyeballing.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

im fairly certain all those eps exist between being uploaded on tube site or being on xwt.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

im fairly certain all those eps exist between being uploaded on tube site or being on xwt.

What is xwt?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Hootington posted:

What is xwt?

A private wrestling torrent tracker.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

A private wrestling torrent tracker.

Oh. I have no idea how to torrent so I won't worry about that.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh. I have no idea how to torrent so I won't worry about that.

could i interest you in some *eyes dart around* bootlegs??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If torrents were cool, they would reduce quality slightly every time they're transferred for the real tape-trading experience.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hoot you can also just watch more 80s territory stuff if modern wrestling isn't your bag. There is lots out there and some of it is really good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

Hoot you can also just watch more 80s territory stuff if modern wrestling isn't your bag. There is lots out there and some of it is really good

My current plan is to finish wcw and maybe start aew depending on what my time is like. I had thought about watching what i could of the old wrestling like mid-south, try to find florida stuff, and wccw. I do want to watch wwf/wwe stuff at some point, but I'm unsure on where to start. Either with attitude era or go all the way back to when Hulk Hogan starts.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

by finish do you mean watch until the year 2001?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

by finish do you mean watch until the year 2001?

Yeah. It is a big undertaking, but I can do it. I've done other similar projects.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 7, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

thats badass, you can do it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I cannot wait for you to experience chris champion vs don valentine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I cannot wait for you to experience chris champion vs don valentine.

Oh I should be watching this today sometime in fact if the air date is correct lol

Edit: nevermind. The one site I looked at said an air date of 1-2-1988 but it looks like it actually aired August '88. Something to look forward to.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 7, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And Don Valentine v Kevin Sullivan

And Don Valentine v Dr Death

And Chris Champion v Rick Steiner

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You'll get to one of my favorite stables (sorry, Bobby) in wrestling with the Varsity Club soon.

It's also about this time Dusty should have maybe turned heel because the established heels and faces had gotten kind of stale (people were already ready to cheer the Horsemen) but he wanted to be John Wayne so whatcha gonna do.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

You'll get to one of my favorite stables (sorry, Bobby) in wrestling with the Varsity Club soon.

It's also about this time Dusty should have maybe turned heel because the established heels and faces had gotten kind of stale (people were already ready to cheer the Horsemen) but he wanted to be John Wayne so whatcha gonna do.

I really can't imagine dusty as a heel, but he was over as the top dog by this point. Only so many times can you watch him win, but have it taken away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I really can't imagine dusty as a heel, but he was over as the top dog by this point. Only so many times can you watch him win, but have it taken away.

He was big in the early 70's as a heel, teaming with huge racist a lot of folks' best wrestler ever list Dick Murdoch as the West Texas Outlaws. Dusty could do it if he wanted but he didn't.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

He was big in the early 70's as a heel, teaming with huge racist a lot of folks' best wrestler ever list Dick Murdoch as the West Texas Outlaws. Dusty could do it if he wanted but he didn't.

Going to travel back in time to suggest to dusty to heel turn from the American dream to the American nightmare and blink Cody out of existence

Edit: I knew Dusty and Dick were tag team partners once, but didn't know they were heels. When dick showed up during the nwa shows I watched he was a baby face at first before turning heel.

I've read dick was a racist dick, but he was also a great heel.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 7, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Murdoch's ability was matched only by his dislike for non-Whites, so he was one of the best ever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Hootington posted:

Literal Klan member. Seems a funny coincidence that one of his trainers was Killer Karl Kox

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Literal Klan member. Seems a funny coincidence that one of his trainers was Killer Karl Kox

Somebody once asked something along the lines of "So, Killer Karl Kox, were those initials significant?"

And whichever old timer who was being asked, Corny maybe, just sort of sucked his breath through his teeth and said "Yeah."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Is Dusty's memoir any good?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
whats the point of a dusty memoir if he isnt alive to narrate the audio book

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Murdoch's ability was matched only by his dislike for non-Whites, so he was one of the best ever.

Wow so he wasn't even a hall of fame racist, sad.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
in b4 26 pages of "who was the best wrestling racist" and the thread gets locked.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

its probably Dick Murdoch topic closed

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Suplex Liberace posted:

its probably donald trump topic closed

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Didn't those 2 brothers who showed off their sweet SS tats to Heyman try to buy WCW?

v: oh yeah duh

Hirez fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 8, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hirez posted:

Didn't those 2 brothers who showed off their sweet SS tats to Heyman try to buy WCW?

they tried to buy TNA

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr Hootington posted:

Is Dusty's memoir any good?

It's alright if you don't mind reading how nothing was ever Dusty's fault.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hirez posted:

I'd say the continued employment of the Harris brothers in wrestling is a mystery but.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
didn't they also try to buy Lucha Underground or something?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LvK posted:

didn't they also try to buy Lucha Underground or something?

No they started their own Lucha Libre company with some business partners called Arolucha. I think only one might be involved in those business deals.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I finished watching all of WCW 1996 and I totally forgot Piper put Hollywood Hogan out with a sleeper at Starrcade. That got a legitimate pop out of me almost 30 years later :lol:

On to 1997! Hogan is such a dick, knowing what we know about him puts those promos with the Giant over the big gold belt title shot in a new light as far as holding people down, brother

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

I'd say the continued employment of the Harris brothers in wrestling is a mystery but.

The Harris Brothers are a mystery
Nazi tats that Heyman sees
Mein Kampf is in their library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NWA World Championship Wrestling 1/16/1988 has a very good Dick Murdoch vs Nikita Koloff match.