Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i saw 300 in am imax theater and the picture was so big that I could clearly see the resolution mismatch/artifacts around the arrows in gerard butler's chest at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

resolutionin’

"Resolving" :eng101:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
1440p is a really nice resolution for a computer. i think 4k is pushing it. its nice for teevee tho

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

4k is great until you run into some application that doesn’t play nicely with dpi scaling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got a 29” 4k monitor and i’ll tell u what civ 6 looks sweet

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i got a 29” 4k monitor and i’ll tell u what civ 6 looks sweet

that’s ur posts actually

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
aw :3

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

git apologist posted:

that’s ur posts actually

:negative:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

git apologist posted:

that’s ur posts actually

is that a diabetes thing

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

why not 8k? eventually the content will catch up so no need to upgrade now, but let’s get all the graphics hardware specs going so in a few years i can have some 39” office monitors for text editing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's a class issue

an 8k screen needs a big enough room that you can sit back and utilize it without having a pixel density that isn't wasted (our eyes are only so good) or watching tv like a cat watches tennis

we're all dying and poor and living in shoe boxes

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

really. the only reason I’d get a 4K tv is cuz one of of my 1080s die and only the bottom of the barrel models are 1080 any more.

was literally doing that tonight with google searches like “does 1080p look worse on 4K tvs?”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
1080p looks fine on 4k cause it's a clean 2:1 scale.

And yeah, agreed. I was on a 720p 40" from the early Obama years when I bought my 4k last year; it was a huge upgrade. And yes i still have the old 720 and it's my bedroom tv [fighting commences]

It's so, so hot though. Like it's constantly making GBS threads out 273 watts of heat. I absolutely turn it off when i'm not actively watching it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^ this mf didn’t realise they bought a fire place

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

My 4k panel only runs on logs and has one really good channel that just shows burning logs.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

previous owner also had this horrible electric fake fire (that changes colour!) Under where their Samsung frame was and it's absolutely awful but I can't remove it because they walled the loving thing in with 50mm mdf

also I think it's got sawdust in it now from where I drilled into the wood above it to run some proper cables through to the TV because all they had was one garbage hdmi cable as they clearly didn't know how to fish cables

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sounds like you should renovate, really

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Tankakern posted:

sounds like you should renovate, really

gotta sort out the bathroom that looks great until you get close up and realise all the hosed up stuff

like how do you re-lay a tile floor and somehow manage to end up with it being lower than the previous one? how do you manage to fill a shower drain with tile adhesive? Or install a toilet that is trying to flush uphill?

e: the guy doing the replacement said "why are you replacing this it's all fine?" and we said "yeah well look at this" "oh..wtf yeah I understand now"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

gotta sort out the bathroom that looks great until you get close up and realise all the hosed up stuff

like how do you re-lay a tile floor and somehow manage to end up with it being lower than the previous one? how do you manage to fill a shower drain with tile adhesive? Or install a toilet that is trying to flush uphill?

e: the guy doing the replacement said "why are you replacing this it's all fine?" and we said "yeah well look at this" "oh..wtf yeah I understand now"

Some mfer always trying to flush uphill

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I feel this pain my whole house is filled with pretty decent renovations that variously require hours or days of labor to fix various minor acts of laziness or stupidity. I get the feeling that the guys who flipped the house spent the whole time getting wasted.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Internet Old One posted:

I feel this pain my whole house is filled with pretty decent renovations that variously require hours or days of labor to fix various minor acts of laziness or stupidity. I get the feeling that the guys who flipped the house spent the whole time getting wasted.

same except ours was just a boomer couple who had friends do poo poo cheap (and half-assed)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

look the previous owner knew how to get ahead. for example, you can save upwards of five dollars AND ten minutes if you make electrical splices with tape instead of wire nuts and a junction box

for even more savings, you can use duct tape instead of electrical tape

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

like how do you re-lay a tile floor and somehow manage to end up with it being lower than the previous one? how do you manage to fill a shower drain with tile adhesive?

if the old floor was floated or used cement board as a backer and the new one uses a modern uncoupling membrane, that cuts the thickness significantly. filling the drain with thinset can happen if you are installing certain types of bonding flange drains and use way too much

e: tile isn't a uniform thickness, so if they went from some kind of thick porcelain or natural stone to a thinner ceramic, that cuts the thickness too

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 9, 2023

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

look the previous owner knew how to get ahead. for example, you can save upwards of five dollars AND ten minutes if you make electrical splices with tape instead of wire nuts and a junction box

once saw an old metal lamp where for the wiring someone had used a couple of those plastic drywall anchor things instead of wire nuts

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

when I did a minor remodel and opened up a wall I discovered a previous owner fished in a new wire so they could have a three prong grounded outlet, and then just pushed the old wire back into the empty cavity behind the wall.

the old wire with bare ends. the old, energized, wire with bare ends.

also we went cutting a channel to run a wire to where we wanted a ceiling fan, only to discover there was an old wire running right there. and some previous owner just stuffed plaster over the bare ends of the wires and leveled it out. and yes it was also still energized

spent a fortune to have the whole place rewired so we could sleep at night

these were all terrible DIYs that probably happened when JFK was president and it’s a wonder the house didn’t burn down decades ago

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

the old wire with bare ends. the old, energized, wire with bare ends.

and yes it was also still energized

:staredog: you win. at least with all our messed up discoveries, there haven't been any bare energized wires.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Flushing up the hill by Kaet Flush

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The_Franz posted:

if the old floor was floated or used cement board as a backer and the new one uses a modern uncoupling membrane, that cuts the thickness significantly. filling the drain with thinset can happen if you are installing certain types of bonding flange drains and use way too much

e: tile isn't a uniform thickness, so if they went from some kind of thick porcelain or natural stone to a thinner ceramic, that cuts the thickness too

it was none of these, it was incompetence

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I used to do a lot of exhibit work for aquariums and zoos, one was a river otter exhibit and the gunite guys came in and sprayed their concrete all over the place and cleaned up by sweeping over spray into a drain, that drain coincidentally became plugged with concrete.

Spent most of a day drip pouring muriatic acid down there and using a 12 foot long stainless steel all thread rod to break it up so the main wash down drain for cleaning the exhibit was useable. People can be remarkably stupid.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Manzoon posted:

I used to do a lot of exhibit work for aquariums and zoos, one was a river otter exhibit and the gunite guys came in and sprayed their concrete all over the place and cleaned up by sweeping over spray into a drain, that drain coincidentally became plugged with concrete.

Spent most of a day drip pouring muriatic acid down there and using a 12 foot long stainless steel all thread rod to break it up so the main wash down drain for cleaning the exhibit was useable. People can be remarkably stupid.

did u get to pet the otters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trillian

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Riptor posted:

did u get to pet the otters

Not there unfortunately, but down in Miami I was replacing windows at an otter exhibit and they were standing at their holding cage like little inmates, I put my finger up to the bar and one reached out and held it. Was extremely cute.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Manzoon posted:

Not there unfortunately, but down in Miami I was replacing windows at an otter exhibit and they were standing at their holding cage like little inmates, I put my finger up to the bar and one reached out and held it. Was extremely cute.

I did that once but it was a ferret and it bit me

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

more than half the house (kitchen and laundry included) was on the same (knob and tube wiring) circuit (running through a federal pacific panel)

we're kind of amazed we never had a basement fire

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

an otter could just as easily have taken a finger. those things are vicious

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

energized, wire

:stonklol:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

:staredog: you win. at least with all our messed up discoveries, there haven't been any bare energized wires.

oh yeah also we never knew where our doorbell transformer was, and in the process of rewiring the house we found it buried behind a wall

dear reader, there were singe marks on the stud behind it. like i’m guessing every time someone rang our doorbell it was just rolling the dice on a house fire

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I thought the thermostat was not actually wired to anything but it turned out it was but was only powered when the system timer was "on" but then it was wired up backwards so it never actually did anything, like the switched live was always on or something and the dial did nothing.

so basically it was all managed as on/off on the timer and then radiator thermo valves, there was no "stop pumping hot water". we think the previous owner just flat out did not know what a thermostat was supposed to do

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

an otter could just as easily have taken a finger. those things are vicious

yeah, i've seen the magazines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I did that once but it was a ferret and it bit me