Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Roosevelt posted:

an otter could just as easily have taken a finger. those things are vicious

Weasels are well known for their flesh-ripping abilities, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8f6SGtV9c

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 12, 2023

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do people still have dedicated classes/tools to learn typing or do they just pick it up from using phone/ipad

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Progressive JPEG posted:

do people still have dedicated classes/tools to learn typing or do they just pick it up from using phone/ipad

i learned everything i need to know from Mario Teaches Typing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

i learned everything i need to know from Mavis Beacon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

but actually aim

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain Foo posted:

but actually aim

yeah same. took some rudimentary typing class in elementary, didn't click. tried mavis beacon or some similar, didn't click. but having to keep up with my friends' conversations forced me to go faster and faster, using more and more fingers, until i could type normally

just don't look at my "home row" positioning, or lack thereof, lmao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i learned in the battlefield of irc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i never learned to type properly and now i use a bunch of dumb ergonomic gear to ward off RSI (while still not actually typing properly). works4me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was joking about mavis beacon, I actually learned to type on an Apple II with a cover over the keyboard while our teacher called out letters to hit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had a few typing classes but i credit my current typing skills almost entirely to the forums.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i learned to type from using icq and talking poo poo on video games

never bothered with any of that poo poo pushed on you by Big Home Row

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I was joking about mavis beacon, I actually learned to type on an Apple II with a cover over the keyboard while our teacher called out letters to hit.

same for me, but instead of a teacher it was a nun and they eyed everyone diligently checking we weren't peeking :ninja:

i still glance to reset myself while typing and the rest is muscle memory

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i honed my typing skills on the battlefields of irc

you gotta type as much bullshit as you can before you’re kicked and banned when you’re out trolling

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
warforged typing abilities

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i played a lot of typing of the dead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

this is the best answer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

their stupid giant battery backpacks are the best

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

they weren't batteries, they were dreamcasts. apparently in the mac version they were macintoshes which sounds bad for the spine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I learned to type when I was around nine or ten, on our old IBM PC. We had a typing game that involved castles or something? I might be confusing it with another game we had, "Adventures in Math."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I remember playing someath game on the school's old apple iis in the basement. Math blasters maybe? I remember conveyor belts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:hmmyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

they weren't batteries, they were dreamcasts. apparently in the mac version they were macintoshes which sounds bad for the spine

there is a cartoonishly oversized yellow and black battery powering each dreamcast in your very screenshot.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
But they're labeled Dreamcast, and the Dreamcast was not a battery. :rolleye:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kitfox88 posted:

I remember playing someath game on the school's old apple iis in the basement. Math blasters maybe? I remember conveyor belts

everything we had were some sort of 'muncher or racing game powered by words or math, which was incredibly formative

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

number munchers!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beve Stuscemi posted:

number munchers!

:yeah:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

number munchers!

hell yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beve Stuscemi posted:

number munchers!

Oh yes

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

njsykora posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Progressive JPEG posted:

i learned in the battlefield of irc

same; it has done wonders for my teams chats at work

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

realising I could run winamp in the background on games so I could listen to Spybreak while playing Max Payne it was loving siccckkkk

also my typing is completely dogshit and getting worse, I genuinely need to go download typing of the dead 2023 or something.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I had a pirate version of Max Payne with some mods already installed, and it took me many years, until I've played the game from Steam, to learn that during bullet time a very loud fragment of "Smack my bitch up" doesn't play in the original release

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

laserghost posted:

I had a pirate version of Max Payne with some mods already installed, and it took me many years, until I've played the game from Steam, to learn that during bullet time a very loud fragment of "Smack my bitch up" doesn't play in the original release

This reminds me of the pirated version of Alpha Protocol (should probably buy it and play it again) where all the UI sound effects were replaced with an injury "Ugh!" sound

Edit: wasn't there a game that had an anti-piracy thing make the game unbeatable a few hours in? I remember the idea was that the crackers would only play the first level so they wouldn't realize they hadn't fully cracked it

Gubbinal Girl fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 15, 2023

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i had a pirate copy of Kingpin that had been compressed by converting all the textures from .tga to jpeg. so all the alpha channel info was gone and the chain link fences were no longer transparent, so you'd walk into an area and immediately get killed by a bunch of enemies you couldn't see

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Gubbinal Girl posted:

This reminds me of the pirated version of Alpha Protocol (should probably buy it and play it again) where all the UI sound effects were replaced with an injury "Ugh!" sound

Edit: wasn't there a game that had an anti-piracy thing make the game unbeatable a few hours in? I remember the idea was that the crackers would only play the first level so they wouldn't realize they hadn't fully cracked it

http://media.earthboundcentral.com/2011/05/earthbounds-copy-protection/index.html

Earthbound would crash on the final boss and delete your saves.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mantle posted:

http://media.earthboundcentral.com/2011/05/earthbounds-copy-protection/index.html

Earthbound would crash on the final boss and delete your saves.

Yeah, there's a few of these. Apparently Spiro's devs sprinkled a ton of little traps all over so that cracking groups never even encountered them, they just assumed "ah, this MUST be it!" then got flamed about it.

I still like Arma's copy protection of "the game gradually degrades into you turn into a seagull and fly away"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Arkham Asylum disabled Batman's cape glide for the cape gliding tutorial, leading to a lot of "How do I cape glide?" posts with "Buy the game instead of stealing it" as an answer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of the early scene releases of Deus Ex had a bunch of NPC chatter stripped out for size, but the trigger to end the first level was when the NPC boat captain spoke to you, famously leading to 10,000 "how do I get on the boat?" forum posts.

I think there have also been a number of strategy games that just silently give the CPU a huge advantage in resources and build time and make the game unwinnable

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I think one of the "pizza tycoon" games (maybe it was Pizza Syndicate?) upon being cracked improperly, was able to "break down" the more you played. Only read about it in the magazine, though.

Pirated Red Alert 2 had a functional tutorial, but in the campaign/skirmish mode all your units exploded after a minute.

So maybe I should post about the quite local thing of "russian localizations" of pirated games. PC games piracy was an industry in the Eastern Europe on a scale that I don't think could be compared with any other place, except maybe Asian markets like Hong-Kong, with their own bootleg games for long-dead systems. Russia was absolutely leading in the markets here (I live in Poland :poland:), so of course when we were kids we were going "to the Stadium" (now replaced by the current national stadium in Warsaw), the "greatest market in Europe", to buy the games, in foil envelopers, with cheaply home-printed covers. I have inherited a collection of those "releases", someday i should scan at least the covers and upload them somewhere.

One thing that official distribution had over pirated games was more and more titles being localized, with movie/theater actors doing voices for stuff like RPGs and adventure games. So the Russians have come up with their own localisations. Russian and Polish are quite different langauges, but because of centuries of shared history, there is quite a big range of understanding between our people. But still, the cheap, "russo-polish" localizations were obvious when heard/read. Heavy accents, obviously young dudes reading from the piece of paper, no acting whatsoever, and of course, the fluid mix of both languages were an absolute hit. People here to this day reminsence those bad translations, with some of the phrases entering the common language. Classic example is "Ruchać się biegiem", due to bad variation of "ruch" (move), so instead of "poruszać się biegiem" ("to move quickly"), was morphed into "ruchać się", meaning, and I am serious, "to gently caress in a hurry". The game was a seminal hit, Commandos: Behind the Enemy Lines. A lot of kids my age saw this on their PCs. Commandos got their official translation here few years later, as a part of re-release with the sequels, iirc.