Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

unimportantguy posted:

CS2: Oh hey that finale really did pop off that was cool. Credits now? Yeah that makes sen- Divertissement? Epilogue? Another dungeon? You guys weren't kidding this game does not end.

Yeah, CS2 is great :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

unimportantguy posted:

CS2: Oh hey that finale really did pop off that was cool. Credits now? Yeah that makes sen- Divertissement? Epilogue? Another dungeon? You guys weren't kidding this game does not end.

I remember I got to the final chapter and was like “I have the time I’ll just power through it. Lol.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Every single Trails game I reach a point where I think "OK, I'm basically done. I can wrap this up in another hour before I go to bed". At best, this has been 2-3 hours before the actual ending. At worst, it's been 10+.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're long freakin games

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Also, re: Alisa, I have gone two games without doing a single Alisa bonding event and I intend to keep it that way for two more. There are about half a dozen other characters I would choose to spend bonding points on first.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Rean can't kiss Alisa because he has to kiss Crow.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

unimportantguy posted:

Most fun segment in the series.

Also it sounds utterly insane to me to not drop a save and do all available bonding events. Is this how you guys sleep on Gaius being the best male character in the series?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
From CS2 onward I used Cheat Engine to give myself unlimited BP. Felt a lot better than hanging out with someone and then rewinding time so I could have hung out with someone else instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's silly how you can cheese seemingly any fight in CS4 as long as you have Jusis and some source of CP. I fought some cryptid like 20+ levels higher by just grouping everyone together and using Jusis + Altina/Alisa for CP. You occasionally take a hit, but very rarely - you can basically always win as long as you can survive a single hit.

My opinion of CS4 has improved a good deal of this playthrough. Some stuff that used to bug me doesn't so much anymore. I used to think the stuff with new class 7s' Panzer Soldats "resonating" with Valimar was dumb (since it seemed weird for this magical artifact thing to somehow resonate with human-made technology), but it's actually not that weird when you consider that orbal technology is literally magic-based, even if the magic is coming from a resource.

The stuff with the curse also isn't so bad on its own - it's more "the lack of a more interesting plot point" than a negative plot point on its own.

unimportantguy posted:

This part was insanely cool if you weren't expecting it and had played the Zero/Azure games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The end of CS2 rules for the simple reason that it's the only game in the series I've played so far that has falling action

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It's silly how you can cheese seemingly any fight in CS4 as long as you have Jusis and some source of CP. I fought some cryptid like 20+ levels higher by just grouping everyone together and using Jusis + Altina/Alisa for CP. You occasionally take a hit, but very rarely - you can basically always win as long as you can survive a single hit.

Smh if you weren't also using this exact strat in CS2.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Thoom posted:

They had a very "look at how cool and powerful my OC is" fanfiction vibe, but I enjoyed the one about Renne beating up a snotty rich kid and ruining his dad's political career. Little poo poo had no idea who he was messing with.

I enjoyed that one too but I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't just a bunch of white text on a black screen.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am finally at chapter 7 of Sky SC after years of putting it off. I have a couple of questions:

1. I am still wondering if I want to play Sky 3rd or start Zero again after that, but I was wondering how much does Zero follow up from 3rd? I understand 3rd is kind of its own story while tying up loose ends from the first two games.

2. I think I crystalized the biggest thing that bugs me about Trails combat, which is generally fun. However, in the late game, at least on Normal difficulty, enemies tend to be large piles of HP that are tedious at best and unfun at worst. Does going up to Hard mode in Zero or 3rd fix this? I am hoping that it makes it deadlier for both sides, but I kind of doubt it. I ask this because I completed the prologue on Zero on Hard and I was wondering if I should continue.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There is one side plot from 3rd that Zero continues to develop, but that's about it and its building on stuff you'd know from SC.

It is one of my fav parts of Zero though.

E: And I found hard mode to just be pretty bad over the Sky games at least i'd recommend keeping it at normal. I switched from hard to normal once I hit TC and never looked back until CS.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, I had forgotten that SC has one of my favorite tropes: Secret organizations filled with high ranking fight weirdos you need to face in every chapter.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A trails staple that I also personally think is great.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

MythosDragon posted:

Most fun segment in the series.

Also it sounds utterly insane to me to not drop a save and do all available bonding events. Is this how you guys sleep on Gaius being the best male character in the series?

I used a max bonding point save for my first run of CS 4, and I did indeed watch all available bonding events. It's just that for every woman except Alisa, I reloaded to before watching anyone else's who gave a heart, so their second events did not qualify for a heart. And I also skipped Emma's second event too.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Ytlaya posted:

My opinion of CS4 has improved a good deal of this playthrough. Some stuff that used to bug me doesn't so much anymore. I used to think the stuff with new class 7s' Panzer Soldats "resonating" with Valimar was dumb (since it seemed weird for this magical artifact thing to somehow resonate with human-made technology), but it's actually not that weird when you consider that orbal technology is literally magic-based, even if the magic is coming from a resource.

One thing to consider is that (CS4) even more than standard orbments, Sept-Terrions are heavily involved in Divergent Laws stuff. So it's not that surprising that two things based off the same origin can interface.

Unlucky7 posted:

2. I think I crystalized the biggest thing that bugs me about Trails combat, which is generally fun. However, in the late game, at least on Normal difficulty, enemies tend to be large piles of HP that are tedious at best and unfun at worst. Does going up to Hard mode in Zero or 3rd fix this? I am hoping that it makes it deadlier for both sides, but I kind of doubt it. I ask this because I completed the prologue on Zero on Hard and I was wondering if I should continue.

I think Hard in 3rd is a lot better than FC or SC, but I think Zero is where they actually started designing Hard as a difficulty instead of applying stat mods without consideration.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 14, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Zero Chapter 4: i cannot say I was expecting the steroids various NPCs were getting hopped up on to be from a devil worshipper cult, and also maybe literally magic. The intersection of “formerly classic JRPG setting experiencing its magic reverse-engineered Industrial Revolution” crops up in the weirdest ways sometimes, not that I’m complaining

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You might want to hold off this spoilerish comment until you know how the organization you brought up works (which might be now!) But does anyone else find it funny that the plot of this game is essentially the same thing as a giant part of the Q conspiracy, only written about ten years before said conspiracy cropped up? Like, to me, that's the funniest thing about those lunatics.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

You might want to hold off this spoilerish comment until you know how the organization you brought up works (which might be now!) But does anyone else find it funny that the plot of this game is essentially the same thing as a giant part of the Q conspiracy, only written about ten years before said conspiracy cropped up? Like, to me, that's the funniest thing about those lunatics.

Yeah, I was thinking about this yesterday. It gets even closer to it in Azure. I’m on the final chapter and chapter 4 was basically the entire Q conspiracy with Dieter using devil magic to make a new god while doing a false flag city scale terrorism campaign. Dieters job being a banker.

Especially considering it’s all opposed by the Catholic Church stand in.

Edit: I should mention that I don’t think anyone at falcom did this out of like overt antisemitism or anything, they just cribbed from exiting conspiracy theories.

(Huge Crossbell spoilers)

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 15, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kuro prologue: This combat system is very different and is going to take some getting used to, but it's really interesting and refreshing so far.

Is Agnes the girl from Renne's story at the end of Reverie?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Kuro prologue: This combat system is very different and is going to take some getting used to, but it's really interesting and refreshing so far.

Is Agnes the girl from Renne's story at the end of Reverie?

Yup

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, I hit the finale a lot sooner than I expected, yeah I have 80+ hours on my save file but that’s cause I’ve been doing the whole “talk to NPCs every time their dialogue changes” thing. It does kinda feel like things went from zero to a hundred pretty quickly though, but I guess that’s the SSS’s fault for busting up the auction and setting off this chain of events. Still feel like I’m gonna be very happy to be able to immediately boot up Azure thirty minutes after the finale of Zero though.

Also, I think Dudley might be the quickest I’ve gone from thinking “god, this guy sucks, what a loving lameass” to “he’s actually kind of a bro” in a JRPG. Helps that he sounds like Zoro, even if it might not be the same guy.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Green hair is voiced by Green hair yes.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Trails in general is real good at taking characters I think I won't like and turning me around on them. KeA is basically the only "adorable little girl everyone loves" character in an anime game that I actually like, for instance.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My favorite voice casting thing in Trails is that Lloyd and Guy are voiced (in Japanes) by Simon and Kamina from Gurren Lagann. That feels very intentional.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Helps that he sounds like Zoro, even if it might not be the same guy.
It's the same guy.

Thoom posted:

My favorite voice casting thing in Trails is that Lloyd and Guy are voiced (in Japanes) by Simon and Kamina from Gurren Lagann. That feels very intentional.
There's no way that's an accident, yeah.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Green hair is voiced by Green hair yes.

Some Numbers posted:

It's the same guy.

Rad, I wasn’t 100% sure since they’re acted fairly differently and it’s only really the kinda hoarse raspy quality in his voice that gives it away. Makes it very funny juxtaposition that Dudley is voiced by Travis Touchdown though, but I guess this is the same series where Lloyd’s dub actor is Kenshiro.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Natsu and Happy from fairy tail are voiced by Lloyd and Kea despite like being opposites in every way barring a single defining inner trait so that makes me giggle uncontrollably.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whoever created the clear file for my CS4 playthrough was a sick pervert who chose to omit bond events for most of the male characters; they have all the female character notes except for one of Laura's, and even missed out on Crow's great second bond event. What kind of sicko would be like "I'm more interested in Emma or Alisa's second bond event than Crow's"?! Unacceptable!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 16, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Whoever created the clear file for my CS4 playthrough was a sick pervert who chose to omit bond events for most of the male characters; they have all the female character notes except for one of Laura's, and even missed out on Crow's great second bond event. What kind of sicko would be like "I'm more interested in Emma or Alisa's second bond event than Crow's"?! Unacceptable!

I don't remember crows....

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Natsu and Happy from fairy tail are voiced by Lloyd and Kea despite like being opposites in every way barring a single defining inner trait so that makes me giggle uncontrollably.

This one’s genuinely adorable ngl.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ytlaya posted:

Sounds like my save file

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe they did Crow's first and then loaded to see other people's. You don't know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's silly how CS4 tries to absolve Hugo by being like "Wads was doing all this insane poo poo behind our backs!" It's at least the third time this has happened, why are you still even employing him lol. He just does crimes constantly! Ignorance is no excuse!

Clarste posted:

Maybe they did Crow's first and then loaded to see other people's. You don't know.

I don't buy it!

MythosDragon posted:

I don't remember crows....

Crow contacts various people involved with the ILF, including Scarlet. It's nice because the main story mostly ignores that stuff.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

It's silly how CS4 tries to absolve Hugo by being like "Wads was doing all this insane poo poo behind our backs!" It's at least the third time this has happened, why are you still even employing him lol. He just does crimes constantly! Ignorance is no excuse!

I don't buy it!

Crow contacts various people involved with the ILF, including Scarlet. It's nice because the main story mostly ignores that stuff.

Ah right
Yeah that was good
Not as compelling as Machias and Gaius, but that what happens when you are the white/6th(12th) ranger.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I ignored Crow completely and I will not apologize for that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I decided that getting the character notes achievements was not worth the price of seeing a lot of the bonding events and stringing along a bunch of characters I had no intention of going any farther with anyway.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't buy it!

But it's not his fault, it's that dang magic curse which made Wads do it. It's just like Ash, except Ash took responsibility for his actions and had actual lingering guilt for them. After all, we can't have assholes in the game, even assholes have to have a heart of gold or really be victims themselves, or otherwise be depicted as sympathetic. (Seriously, other than Campanella/Novartis, who was the last human character who was an out-and-out rear end in a top hat?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mariabelle?