Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do any of the new Twitter-like platforms have good embedding? I think that’s a must for any of them to be true replacements. If nothing else, it lets lazy journalists crowdsource their articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whydirt posted:

Do any of the new Twitter-like platforms have good embedding? I think that’s a must for any of them to be true replacements. If nothing else, it lets lazy journalists crowdsource their articles.

There's a standard for that called Open Graph, if the social media platform implements it properly it should be very easy,

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

whydirt posted:

Mastodon has really fantastic embeds in iMessage now

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

101 posted:

Mastodon has really fantastic embeds in iMessage now

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Red Baron posted:

Hey can the format option when text is highlighted be moved to the front?

I’m on iOS and given the layout I think “no” is the answer but gently caress I use those more than any other option in that menu except [img] and paste

Huh wow, I never even looked at that, I’ve been typing out that stuff like a loving animal

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowy posted:

Huh wow, I never even looked at that, I’ve been typing out that stuff like a loving animal

I find it faster to type out though the [/…] is super useful

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yeah that button is mvp status for sure

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

agreedo

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

A hushed voice whispers through the thread

smiley filter…

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

whydirt posted:

smiley filter…

🙏

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

whydirt posted:

smiley filter…

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whydirt posted:

smiley filter…

:pray:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Musk really has hosed Twitter embeds for this place now. The twat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m good with that.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

whydirt posted:

smiley filter…

:emptyquote:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

smellmycheese posted:

MarcusSA posted:

I’m good with that.

i, too, vote that x.com posts are never parsed.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

smellmycheese posted:

*twit :v:

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

whydirt posted:

smiley filter…

How many people would scream if the smiley keyboard (i.e. the additional keyboard in iOS Settings that lets you use sa smileys in other apps) disappeared?

Do people use that? Because it's one of the things that makes replacing the smiley picker difficult. And I'd find creating something new easier than updating the current one

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
Wouldn't bug me but I don't text any people from SA (that I know of) so I don't want to have to explain it to them, and also I don't think it works properly unless you are texting with another iOS user, and most of my regular texting folk are green bubble losers.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I never heard of this smiley keyboard feature before and have not used it. Just one data point I guess.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

commie kong posted:

How many people would scream if the smiley keyboard (i.e. the additional keyboard in iOS Settings that lets you use sa smileys in other apps) disappeared?

Do people use that? Because it's one of the things that makes replacing the smiley picker difficult. And I'd find creating something new easier than updating the current one

That keyboard is not great but I wonder how difficult would it be to spin off into a separate app if anyone does use it?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

commie kong posted:

I have never used that in the app because it's clunky as heck and hard to use.

And I have never used that out of the app because it can't insert the images.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quackles posted:

I have never used that in the app because it's clunky as heck and hard to use.

And I have never used that out of the app because it can't insert the images.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I use is very occasionally but not so often that I’d be bothered with it leaving.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Seems like a bug with the color picker for the bookmarked threads. When you assign (some) colors it works correctly until the bookmarks are reloaded, then the thread color changes (sometimes?)

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 17, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

commie kong posted:

I’d be fine with it but I’d love a link to the smilies page to so I can remember what some of them are.

Fwiw I use it a fair bit.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I’d be fine with it but I’d love a link to the smilies page to so I can remember what some of them are.

Fwiw I use it a fair bit.

I keep a tab group in Safari with search, smilies, and saclopedia

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

commie kong posted:

You can do that? Wouldn’t this effect other alternative keyboards, like for other languages, possibly wrecking accessibility for many people?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Unless their other language is exclusively made up of SA smileys I don’t see how it would

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Unless their other language is exclusively made up of SA smileys I don’t see how it would

Ohh, just the SA smiley keyboard, I didn’t even know that existed until this moment. I thought CK meant the keyboard picker itself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grassy Knowles posted:

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah that button is mvp status for sure

Thanks, it’s the first ObjC I ever wrote! These posts made me smile so I’m going to try to set up my Mac for coding this weekend to see if I can fix the iPad posting crash I see periodically, and maybe poke at some other little stuff to learn a bit of Swift.

(I really need to do a version of [/..] for SALR in the browser, too.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I would love to use the smiley keyboard but it currently sucks and looks weird.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks, it’s the first ObjC I ever wrote! These posts made me smile so I’m going to try to set up my Mac for coding this weekend to see if I can fix the iPad posting crash I see periodically, and maybe poke at some other little stuff to learn a bit of Swift.

(I really need to do a version of [/..] for SALR in the browser, too.)

Seriously fantastic work, I love that it even handles nesting

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love the SA Smilie keyboard because even my iMessage friends and I send around :sad: and :negative: every now and then. It's the one thing if I had time to contribute I'd prioritize, but I realize I'm probably in the minority

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

And y'all called me crazy for bring this up.

It still happens for me. :(

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Hed posted:

I love the SA Smilie keyboard because even my iMessage friends and I send around :sad: and :negative: every now and then. It's the one thing if I had time to contribute I'd prioritize, but I realize I'm probably in the minority

I wanted to try this one time with Telegram but when I sent the message the smilie was blown up to a huge size and it looked awful, and the person I sent it to was like "wtf is this" :negative:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What’s this smiley keyboard? Explain it like I’m a boomer parent

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

What’s this smiley keyboard? Explain it like I’m a boomer parent

You get an extra keyboard so that everywhere you could type (including Messages) you could switch over from QWERTY to SA Smilies, and select a Smilie to send in the message. The rough edges are trying to select (it's currently a big, refreshing list you have to scroll through and the area is comparatively tiny) and that sometimes it will send "blown up" versions like the posts above.

But it lets you send :owned: or :pressf: .

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ultimately to modernize the idea it should become a sticker set you can access in messages which fits the current paradigm and is easier to use. I think that would make it only available in Messages but not sure people need that elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hed posted:

You get an extra keyboard so that everywhere you could type (including Messages) you could switch over from QWERTY to SA Smilies, and select a Smilie to send in the message. The rough edges are trying to select (it's currently a big, refreshing list you have to scroll through and the area is comparatively tiny) and that sometimes it will send "blown up" versions like the posts above.

But it lets you send :owned: or :pressf: .

Oh I didn’t realize that menu was called a keyboard. That’s where I was hoping to get a filter/search. Or at the very least make it so each smiley isn’t diplicTed in the UI 2-3 times somehow