Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's gonna get even more like that with EVs. Basically everything will coalesce to a single design with a few negligible differences like with the smartphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's gonna get even more like that with EVs. Basically everything will coalesce to a single design with a few negligible differences like with the smartphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAkyneShufY

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah RAV4s at used to at least look unique.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously insane people will keep making crazy stuff but mass-market daily driver cars will be mostly differentiated by the shape of the tablet on the dashboard and the fake sound they make at low speeds. Which is fine for appliances, imo, whatever.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

mobby_6kl posted:

Obviously insane people will keep making crazy stuff but mass-market daily driver cars will be mostly differentiated by the shape of the tablet on the dashboard and the fake sound they make at low speeds. Which is fine for appliances, imo, whatever.

Yeah, I was posting it to agree with you, when a manufacturer puts an ev drivetrain into something it genericises the car, I agree.

Even making something as iconic as a Series Landie into an EV ends up taking most of the personality out of it.

I don't really think it's a bad thing for 95% of the people on the road, they just need An Driving Appliance, not a pet. Things tend toward kammback soapblobs which quietly go bzzzm for 200 miles. That's fine.

meltie fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 14, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

What kind of stuff? Pushy upsells?

Kind of. The most annoying thing with my closest dealer is that they always, always, always end up quoting a different price over the phone than they do in person. The price in person is undoubtedly a few hundred bucks higher, and by that point, you have to get to work and you don't want to deal with it, so you just agree and take the loaner. This last time I skewered them in the survey so they were very apologetic and gave me $300 to use for my next over-priced service. Annoyingly, this dealer is under 2 miles away from my house, and the other options are significantly further away.

The Porsche dealer gives you a price, sticks with it, and doesn't try to dick you around. They were also hundreds cheaper than the Mercedes dealer for essentially the identical service. I can't wait to get rid of this car in a few years and buy a Toyota/Lexus.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Residency Evil posted:

Kind of. The most annoying thing with my closest dealer is that they always, always, always end up quoting a different price over the phone than they do in person. The price in person is undoubtedly a few hundred bucks higher, and by that point, you have to get to work and you don't want to deal with it, so you just agree and take the loaner. This last time I skewered them in the survey so they were very apologetic and gave me $300 to use for my next over-priced service. Annoyingly, this dealer is under 2 miles away from my house, and the other options are significantly further away.

The Porsche dealer gives you a price, sticks with it, and doesn't try to dick you around. They were also hundreds cheaper than the Mercedes dealer for essentially the identical service. I can't wait to get rid of this car in a few years and buy a Toyota/Lexus.

Have dealt with this lots of times and it’s just how certain dealers do it. It gets them a lot of money to be less honest / committed to the price they quote on the phone. Just demand to get everything emailed to you with out the door price for service, and that’s solved all the issues for me. You usually have to request to speak w/ service advisor rather than coordinator over the phone because only the advisor can generate the PDFs and quote actual service. Yes it is annoying to have to do this vs. just walking in, most people patronizing these dealers won’t sweat a few hundred bucks so the dealer sometimes works with you if you call out the BS.

Gotta love those $75 “shop fees” hidden in the bill at service pickup that were not discussed at all previously. I’m sure there’s no profit margin in those fees and all the shop supplies were actually used during the service right?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 14, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Inner Light posted:

Gotta love those $75 “shop fees” hidden in the bill at service pickup that were not discussed at all previously. I’m sure there’s no profit margin in those fees and all the shop supplies were actually used during the service right?

I have a Kia with their DCT and its dealer only clutch fluid changes (it takes their maintenance computer to tell the car to pump fluid into the service position) and they started hitting me with a "documentation fee" on fluid changes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since 2019 I've driven few enough miles every year on my two cars for then both to be emissions exempt (<5000 miles).

Every. Single. Year. for both cars in different shops I have to get them to do the paperwork again at checkout because they charged me for an emissions inspection (which just involves plugging into the computer) that the car was exempt from.

"Here's the invoice"

"You charged me for emissions, I'm exempt, I didn't drive enough."

"Oh, yeah, you're right. Let me take that off."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If we're stereotyping marques, which brand seems to build the most dealer profit into their scheduled maintenance? Which brand has invested the most in making their cars dealer-only to repair?

I don't know any car stuff off the top of my head, but in motorcycle-land, a lot of the cheaper, smaller Honda bikes have really frequent valve clearance check / adjustment intervals that are really expensive to get done at the dealer, but valves are rarely out of spec and if you look at the maintenance schedule for the same vehicles in Asian markets the valve check interval is much longer. Are they throwing their dealers a bone?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

If we're stereotyping marques, which brand seems to build the most dealer profit into their scheduled maintenance? Which brand has invested the most in making their cars dealer-only to repair?

A special case of course, but my last maintenance on the Ferrari was multiple thousands of dollars, and I don’t think anyone is taking them anywhere other than a dealer. At least newer ones that is.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Inner Light posted:

Have dealt with this lots of times and it’s just how certain dealers do it. It gets them a lot of money to be less honest / committed to the price they quote on the phone. Just demand to get everything emailed to you with out the door price for service, and that’s solved all the issues for me. You usually have to request to speak w/ service advisor rather than coordinator over the phone because only the advisor can generate the PDFs and quote actual service. Yes it is annoying to have to do this vs. just walking in, most people patronizing these dealers won’t sweat a few hundred bucks so the dealer sometimes works with you if you call out the BS.

Yeah, it's just annoying to see it every time, and this dealer is just such a different experience than one of their competitors. We like our wagon, but the local dealer makes me want to never buy a Mercedes again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

meltie posted:

Yeah, I was posting it to agree with you, when a manufacturer puts an ev drivetrain into something it genericises the car, I agree.

Even making something as iconic as a Series Landie into an EV ends up taking most of the personality out of it.

I don't really think it's a bad thing for 95% of the people on the road, they just need An Driving Appliance, not a pet. Things tend toward kammback soapblobs which quietly go bzzzm for 200 miles. That's fine.

It just fills me with a bleakness about the future. Just less and less to look forward to.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We have a local Chrysler place and a ford place that are owned by the same people, but the ford place is notably better/easier to deal with than the Chrysler one and will generally quote hundreds less for the same work as the Chrysler shop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno, the Ioniq 5 and 6 and Kia EV6 all look and feel quite different despite being similar under the skin.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hyundai even said they programmed in fake shifts into the Ioniq 5 N :v:

I don't fully agree with the "all EVs will feel identical", but I think a lot of vehicles will become more similar. Particularly the appliance cars that aim to be as inoffensive as possible will probably homogenize. But I do think cars that target enthusiasts will have to do things to distinguish themselves beyond just looks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sab669 posted:

Hyundai even said they programmed in fake shifts into the Ioniq 5 N :v:

I don't fully agree with the "all EVs will feel identical", but I think a lot of vehicles will become more similar. Particularly the appliance cars that aim to be as inoffensive as possible will probably homogenize. But I do think cars that target enthusiasts will have to do things to distinguish themselves beyond just looks.

Power delivery and engine character will be largely homogenized because there’s no exhaust note and the torque curve is pretty much flat so the it really comes down to how much power you get. But there’s still plenty of room for differentiation. A Taycan S and F-150 lightning are going to be pretty different driving experiences. Even the F-150 vs Rivian or Taycan vs Audi Etron will feel different. It’s not just going to a bunch of identical bars of soap.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/08/the-lexus-lc-500h-has-great-craftsmanship-weird-hybrid-powertrain/

quote:

Mated to the engine, there's an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission and planetary gearset. The eCVT has six virtual gear ratios—yes, this defeats the point of a CVT, but that's just how the world works. But before the driveshaft heads back to the rear wheels, there's a second transmission, which is a conventional four-speed automatic.

In practice, that gives you 10 gears, which you can control manually via the wonderfully tactile metal paddles behind the steering wheel.

I don't follow this at all, how does a CVT with 6 "virtual gears" upstream of a 4-speed automatic transmission result in 10 gears? Wouldn't that make 24 gears, or am I insane?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Twerk from Home posted:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/08/the-lexus-lc-500h-has-great-craftsmanship-weird-hybrid-powertrain/

I don't follow this at all, how does a CVT with 6 "virtual gears" upstream of a 4-speed automatic transmission result in 10 gears? Wouldn't that make 24 gears, or am I insane?

Maybe some of those gears are so close in ratio it's not worth counting them separately.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't love the giant grille trend on Astons. It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't feel as special when everyone else is doing it too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I kinda love this, with everything being so exaggerated. It’s like a 1950s Buick, or Project Satan

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

I don't love the giant grille trend on Astons. It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't feel as special when everyone else is doing it too.

Then you're gonna love this!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I kinda love this, with everything being so exaggerated. It’s like a 1950s Buick, or Project Satan

"...The windshield wipers from the car that played Knightrider"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KillHour posted:

I don't love the giant grille trend

I don't think it's helped a single vehicle.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

davebo posted:

I don't think it's helped a single vehicle.

I cannot wait until Lexus moves on from their horrifying grilles. I just can't stand them and it's enough to prevent me from considering them at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sab669 posted:

"...The windshield wipers from the car that played Knightrider"

Knightrider was evil?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Twerk from Home posted:

I cannot wait until Lexus and bmw move on from their horrifying grilles. I just can't stand them and it's enough to prevent me from considering them at all.

Ftfy

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

Then you're gonna love this!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Knightrider was evil?

The wipers were but it didn't really come up in the show.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Maybe some of those gears are so close in ratio it's not worth counting them separately.

I'm sure it's a combination of this, plus not ever shifting into those specific gear combinations. The last time I can recall regular cars having "two" transmissions like this were add-on overdrives like the C4 Corvette and redblock Volvos had with their manuals. In both of those cases they'd only let you engage overdrive with the manual transmission in certain gears.

Chrysler did similar gear counting on the 545RFE by calling it a five-speed automatic with both "second gear" and "second prime" gear, and you'd only get one or the other on any given shift sequence. Upshifts would be 1-2-3-4-5, kickdowns would be 5-4-3-2'-1.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 15, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Now wrap it around to the sides so the grill covers the doors too.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Now wrap it around to the sides so the grill covers the doors too.
"You're hired!"

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

lol just lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was strongly against CVTs at one time, but after flying planes with constant-speed props and turbocharged engines, I'm convinced it could be awesome if it were executed in a way that doesn't suck.

I have no hope that any manufacturer will execute it in a way that doesn't suck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PT6A posted:

I was strongly against CVTs at one time, but after flying planes with constant-speed props and turbocharged engines, I'm convinced it could be awesome if it were executed in a way that doesn't suck.

I have no hope that any manufacturer will execute it in a way that doesn't suck.

Sure they will. Electric drive.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

Toyota has an eCVT which doesn’t work like a cvt that is fantastic. So that’s the trick.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PT6A posted:

CVT's dont belong in cars, they are just not compatible with the real world.

Russian Bear posted:

Toyota has an eCVT which doesn’t work like a cvt that is fantastic. So that’s the trick.

Contrary view - Toytoa had to add poo poo like actual gears and electric motors because CVT's suck that badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Russian Bear posted:

What all have they put this in?