Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Torquemada posted:

And teppanyaki is meat covered in sauce.

Named for its tendency to make your carpet yucky if you drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

For a long time, maps used to have the East as the top of the map, because that's where the sun rises. It's also why, when you are trying to get your bearings, you orient yourself.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Ibáñez

Son of Ivan

Johnson

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Samovar posted:

For a long time, maps used to have the East as the top of the map, because that's where the sun rises. It's also why, when you are trying to get your bearings, you orient yourself.

Also the direction the Holy Land is in.

(Relative to Europe)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Samovar posted:

It's also why, when you are trying to get your bearings, you orient yourself.

exploding-psyduck.gif

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Samovar posted:

There were a couple maps that put west on top, but that was occidental.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The title screen for Super Cycle on the C64 doesn't feature a black man wearing cool sunglasses craning his neck surprised at the words above him.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I put onion powder on my eggs now

I'm an onion powder eggs guy

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Cage posted:

The title screen for Super Cycle on the C64 doesn't feature a black man wearing cool sunglasses craning his neck surprised at the words above him.

No, it features a heterochromatic, inexplicably brown Cookie Monster

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also the direction the Holy Land is in.

(Relative to Europe)

Pretty sure it’s more this than the sun

Like plenty of times there I point west bc ya know, it’s afternoon. Or if it’s not summer and is the northern hemisphere at night, I use north-south navigation bc Polaris and Orion are really easy to spot. Or even if it’s super overcast you can catch the moon, Venus and Saturn

It is a useless skill in the modern age, but fun

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B14Gtm2Z_70

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Samovar posted:

It's also why, when you are trying to get your bearings, you orient yourself.

I uh, yeah? That's what you do?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ironhead posted:

I uh, yeah? That's what you do?

"Orient" comes from Latin for "rising" (sun), not to ascertain direction like in common usage

Same with the west being the occident, ie falling/setting

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Carthag Tuek posted:

"Orient" comes from Latin for "rising" (sun), not to ascertain direction like in common usage

Same with the west being the occident, ie falling/setting

Is that why it's an occident when someone falls?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Baron von Eevl posted:

There were a couple maps that put west on top, but that was occidental.

:mad:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Calling someone naive a "sweet summer child" is apparently a thing entirely made up by George RR Martin in Game of Thrones:

The couple of earlier bumps are mainly from obscure poems about the wind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aw gently caress, now I have to stop using it on principle :negative:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I'm open to correction on this from any Southern grandmas in the chat

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Aw gently caress, now I have to stop using it on principle :negative:

Don't give him short shrift, authors and English idioms have always been strange bedfellows.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rollick posted:

Calling someone naive a "sweet summer child" is apparently a thing entirely made up by George RR Martin in Game of Thrones:

Is that surprising? I thought the whole meaning about it was talking to children in the books that had spent their entire lives in the summertime because of the way seasons worked in the setting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It makes sense, it just feels like a more general phrase that's been around forever. Although, that first book has been around since the 90s, so that's effectively the same as forever in terms of me potentially seeing it used online :corsair:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Is that surprising? I thought the whole meaning about it was talking to children in the books that had spent their entire lives in the summertime because of the way seasons worked in the setting.

I guess I assumed summers in the south are also sweet and easy, because of the Gershwin song.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I absolutely remember when nobody ever said sweet summer child at all. Then the throne game tv show went viral and so did the phrase, which people heard on the show. I feel old or something that there are people who don't remember the tv show reference

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The amount of time from A Dance with Dragons until now is 12 years...and The Winds of Winter ain't coming out anytime soon (to say nothing of A Dream of Spring), so it'll be well over twice the wait for it that A Dance with Dragons was from A Feast for Crows, which everyone was complaining about at the time on how drat long it took to come out.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

I absolutely remember when nobody ever said sweet summer child at all. Then the throne game tv show went viral and so did the phrase, which people heard on the show. I feel old or something that there are people who don't remember the tv show reference

I do too, but I guess it's one of those things like 'bucket list'. Someone posted in here earlier saying that that term was invented by the guy who wrote the movie The Bucket List, and it only entered common use when he was shopping around his script in like the 90s. But it still feels like a term that's been around forever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sweet summer child and bucket list were coined contemporary with Shakespeare and there's no proof you can offer to make me think otherwise.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The phrase "double down" was created by Kentucky Fried Chicken 2010, and by 2021 uttering that phrase had officially replaced baseball as the national pass time. If you think it was originally a blackjack term that's just the Mandela effect.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

The phrase "double down" was created by Kentucky Fried Chicken 2010, and by 2021 uttering that phrase had officially replaced baseball as the national pass time. If you think it was originally a blackjack term that's just the Mandela effect.

hosed up if true

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Didn't it take off after being used by a presidential candidate a few years ago? (I want to say Romney)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The "mab" suffix on so many drugs that are advertised on American TV right now indicates that the substance is a Monoclonal AntiBody.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

The "mab" suffix on so many drugs that are advertised on American TV right now indicates that the substance is a Monoclonal AntiBody.

There's a whole long list of those standardized drug name segments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_nomenclature#List_of_stems_and_affixes

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm still not over "I see you" as used on Twitter being from Avatar. why would you adopt a stupid phrase from a stupid movie?!?!?...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

rollick posted:

I'm open to correction on this from any Southern grandmas in the chat

Nobody likes summer in the south, you're golden

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

rollick posted:

I guess I assumed summers in the south are also sweet and easy, because of the Gershwin song.

They’re not it’s hot as balls here send help

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Petition to rename the above poster Joey Swampwater.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Monkey posted:

Petition to rename the above poster Joey Swampwater.

Joey Asswater

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Falcons aren't part of the hawk/eagle family at all and aren't even closely related. They're much more closely related to parrots
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falconiformes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

Is that why it's an occident when someone falls?

*very toulousainishly* oc !

Also, sorry to return to Harry Styles chat, learned Sansa Stark is NOT married to Harry, she’s married to a Jonas brother

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody likes summer in the south, you're golden

Seriously I haven’t been dry since like April and I don’t mean that in a horny lady kinda way

God bless the south but

In winter only

E: the U.S. south, but I also once lived in the french south, which is also an horrifying bog of stench and tourists in the summer but not enough that I beg the sun to just finish the job and engulf earth

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Aug 17, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Vista Cruiser was an actual car and not just made up for Red Foreman to drive in That 70s Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

The Vista Cruiser was an actual car and not just made up for Red Foreman to drive in That 70s Show

The Wagon Queen Family Truckster from National Lampoon's Family Vacation was an obviously fictional vehicle but the car they modified for it was a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon (several of them, actually) which wasn't all that different from the Family Truckster. They took a lovely ugly station wagon and just uglied it up a little more

My dad drove a similar model Ford station wagon in the late 80s which was was a little cleaner in its lines and didn't have the fake wood paneling :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Aug 17, 2023