Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

That Little Demon posted:

Music was nice and I like that you can get the music to play at your house.

Oh and this is also something that only gets better with every expansion. Not that the base game soundtrack is bad but compared to what comes after...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I really enjoyed the music in the Coils raid, especially the final fight with Bahamat

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm currently near the end(?) of HW's main MSQ, and the story has improved since near the end of the ARR patches.

Is it the best thing ever? No, but it's entertaining me and the fetch quests/etc seem less oppressive overall.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I’ve done every fight even extremes synced and it was cakewalk so far. Music was nice and I like that you can get the music to play at your house.

That being said this game lives and dies by the RP and social aspect for me so far

I think even then, they're still mechanically powercrept since a bunch of mechanics are a lot easier to do nowadays since jobs in general are a lot simpler, and melee jobs don't have to worry about TP management. I suspect a lot of ARR fights, and to a lesser degree, HW fights, were balanced around resource management which people don't worry about nowadays cause TP was dropped in general.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also i'm not sure you're actually out of ARR yet. i believe credits roll twice. but things will start actually happening soon. stormblood is good

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The one big issue with this game still is that the big fights pre-Stormblood are too powercreeped and die too easily. The prae remake helped with that a lot but I still don't know why they don't put ilvl sync on a lot more key fights

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

what I think comes through in heavensward is a lot of the game's design starts getting its bearings. some of this isn't as meaningful as it used to be since they redesigned the ARR/2.x dungeons, but stuff like bosses starting to have combat routines designed around a central gimmick, the overall MSQ leveling and dungeon release structure, and improved storytelling come through here. I'd say it stops shy of being great - the MSQ will always stop you several times to go around and talk to people because they're padding out ten levels over 40 hours, for example - but compared to ARR it's a light in the darkness.

I think especially you get to see the cutscene direction start to find its legs. they don't really start showing off until the heavensward patches, but there's some cool looking scenes in the base expansion.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

One thing I do appreciate about this game is the sheer number of cat girl prostitutes trying to gently caress me for being a tall elf, which is apparently a rare race and gender to be lol

Most of the playerbase can't survive playing an Elezen long enough to find flattering armor.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

also if you keep doing the 8 man content synced you'll start getting a lot of good combat encounters with boppin music, particularly in the back half of the raids.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also suddenly reminded about how tanks and healers used to do stance-dancing to do DPS.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Is it true that Bahamut Coil bosses will never show up in Duty Roulette? So if I want to queue up for them individually I'll probably never see it pop?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you just want to check them off your list, you can throw them up on party finder unsynced with the promise of poetics and first timer bonuses to bait people to help you. one person can solo all of them.

if you want to do them synced at 50, you'll either need to organize that out of game or just post them in PF and hope seven other people bite.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pryce posted:

Is it true that Bahamut Coil bosses will never show up in Duty Roulette? So if I want to queue up for them individually I'll probably never see it pop?

You might ruin a Mentor's day if it pops up in their mentor roulette, but otherwise it'll likely never pop outside of 7 other people who also didn't know queuing for it.

EDIT: Oh I was mistaken, mentors don't have Coils in their roulette either.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Allarion posted:

You might ruin a Mentor's day if it pops up in their mentor roulette,

that alone makes it worth it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

coil and savages arent in mentor roulette

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Doomykins posted:

Most of the playerbase can't survive playing an Elezen long enough to find flattering armor.

I’ll post my fits. I look good as hell

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

People will talk about when the story "gets good", but if you're hating getting through it it might be worth examining what you're trying to get out of the game. They get better at telling it but the story doesn't change, the way you interact with it doesn't change, and the game being story-first doesn't change.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bruceski posted:

People will talk about when the story "gets good", but if you're hating getting through it it might be worth examining what you're trying to get out of the game. They get better at telling it but the story doesn't change, the way you interact with it doesn't change, and the game being story-first doesn't change.

thats not my issue, its the godawful writing and design approach (so far). What I get out of the game is largely so far been awesome RP and social interactions

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bruceski posted:

Looking at his complaints, his issues are the "Primal of the Week" format, repetitive and pointless busywork, being treated like an errand boy by people who should know better, and the bad voice acting. All of which go away by the time you hit Heavensward.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
arr feels like ragtag squad of randos on their back foot being caught unawares by primals

HW is when i felt like i was becoming Powerful and starting to work together with other powerful and competent characters to get poo poo done.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

arr feels like ragtag squad of randos on their back foot being caught unawares by primals

HW is when i felt like i was becoming Powerful and starting to work together with other powerful and competent characters to get poo poo done.

sure but what are these other bozos doing? absolutely jack poo poo...

Selane
May 19, 2006

GilliamYaeger posted:

It unironically takes until like 2.4 to get good (ie when Sir Aymeric and the Ishgardians start to show up in the main plotline). Mentally exhausted from the Titan bullshit and the pre-nerf corrupted crystals wild goose chase I personally couldn't take it, bought a skip to go from 2.X to Heavensward, watched a few vids on what happened in 2.4 and 2.5 and never looked back. I wouldn't recommend wasting money on that unless you really can't handle it and are about to drop the game, but the option's there.

Trust me when I say that Heavensward onwards is a completely different beast to what you're going through now. Even the voice actors get replaced with better ones.
Lol, I was wondering what he was talking about with the bad voice acting, I forgot that they only hired the good actors starting with the first expansion.

I also used an ARR story skip and it was the best decision I ever made. Put me on the long list of people that would have quit the game long ago if I had to actually make it through ARR in its entirety. More power to those who muscle through the whole thing, but I sure as hell couldn't do it. And for the people saying that it's not suddenly going to become a different game once you get to later expansions, that's true. It doesn't become a different game, just a much better one. You're still wandering around going places and talking to people, but the people and places are a lot more interesting(mostly) and the storylines as a whole are a lot better(mostly). Generally speaking the dungeons and poo poo get a lot better, as well.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Looking at his complaints, his issues are the "Primal of the Week" format, repetitive and pointless busywork, being treated like an errand boy by people who should know better, and the bad voice acting. All of which go away by the time you hit Heavensward.
Yeah, come on. I mean, yeah, it's still talk to this guy, then the other guy, then do the dungeon or whatever. But the ARR level of "oh no, tribe X are summoning A! oh no, now tribe Y are summoning B!" times eight or whatever is much worse than anything that happens later.

Selane fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 16, 2023

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Selane posted:

Lol, I was wondering what he was talking about with the bad voice acting, I forgot that they only hired the good actors starting with the first expansion.

Hmph! How very glib.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

I’ll post my fits. I look good as hell

Yeah your drip was dabbed up in that gambling thread. Just getting past the character select screen and THAT NECK is rough.

I agree that ARR format and post 2.0 patches are super rough. And the game presentation of MSQ doesn't change. As much as I love HW on and ShB and EW I am still not done EW MSQ because I need to be in a specific visual novelesque mood to put up with the frankly Sisyphean double length MSQ zoning EW has.

It's great stuff and I like all the characters in but I feel like I've already done two expacs worth of walk and talk. I've done the ruined town dungeon after the moon.

It turns out I can do pvp, dungeons and RP goofiness without pushing the MSQ, though Dawntrail is coming. In a year!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ojjeorago posted:

Hmph! How very glib.

They should've kept Richard Epcar.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Funky Valentine posted:

They should've kept Richard Epcar.

:agreed:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

sure but what are these other bozos doing? absolutely jack poo poo...

On the plus side, if you've peeked at the Duty Support system, Heavensward is when you finally start seeing actual named NPCs as your party members, instead of All Generics All The Time. So, if you're not allergic to not moving as fast as physically possible through dungeons, those are worth a look.

(I very much enjoy Duty Support due to my fascination with Friendly AI in all sorts of games, this is not an exception)

So, you know, "these other bozos" are now, officially, doing something material to help in the form of helping you in dungeons.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

IIRC the writing in HW is also where they start trying to emphasize that other characters are doing things and working on problems in the background, instead of the strong sense in ARR that the Scions are just sitting on their hands while you slay gods and collect bear asses

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

At least the Scions start appearing in Duty Support more and more as you progress through, as well.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The best thing is much later when an NPC says "okay we need a bear rear end, special mud and a rare flower. wait here in the pub while I go and collect them"

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

nanamo, tataru, and krile are all cool and good but most lalafells suck its true

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I will not stand for this Pipin erasure

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
ARR is all about being Minfilia's mute, brainless weapon. She sends you to do a thing. You do the thing. She says thank you, now kill this thing. You kill the thing. Maybe make an emote.

It took a while for the WoL to develop any MSQ agency, and I suspect a lot of that is because making you a robot is a lot easier to write.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Even as early as 3.0 you get the "please collect a bear rear end, a bee hive on a sequoia, and a fistful of hen's teeth" request and the jackasses (affectionate) you're traveling with take care of two of them. It's an immediately notable change

As far as writing goes, I didn't mind most of ARR but it's also like... only notable for story because it was born in an environment where most MMOs didn't really have story. And even I was very annoyed with the padding at certain points cheesequest, crystal hunt, tail end of 2.x. It helps to have other things to do (like fall into a craft fugue for a month), but it's still more giving yourself the emotional distance to not be too annoyed by ARR's weaknesses.

And yeah it takes until 3.0 for the WoL to have even the slightest hit of personality besides "can sometimes be silly in responses". WoL's a cardboard cutout with a [weapon of choice] for a while.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Like Clockwork posted:

Even as early as 3.0 you get the "please collect a bear rear end, a bee hive on a sequoia, and a fistful of hen's teeth" request and the jackasses (affectionate) you're traveling with take care of two of them. It's an immediately notable change

As far as writing goes, I didn't mind most of ARR but it's also like... only notable for story because it was born in an environment where most MMOs didn't really have story. And even I was very annoyed with the padding at certain points cheesequest, crystal hunt, tail end of 2.x. It helps to have other things to do (like fall into a craft fugue for a month), but it's still more giving yourself the emotional distance to not be too annoyed by ARR's weaknesses.

And yeah it takes until 3.0 for the WoL to have even the slightest hit of personality besides "can sometimes be silly in responses". WoL's a cardboard cutout with a [weapon of choice] for a while.

I have been playing all day since complaining and I am now sparing a moment to indulge the attention of the Doman children for Minfilia. This story is absolute loving rear end lol

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The story being dogshit is not notable for MMOs of over a decade ago yes, if someone was somehow hyping up ARR of all parts of the the story that's on them.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Like Clockwork posted:

The story being dogshit is not notable for MMOs of over a decade ago yes, if someone was somehow hyping up ARR of all parts of the the story that's on them.

They have been, from what I’ve seen. I’m giving it poo poo specifically because of that.

You know what I like? A story in a game that you get from exploring and actually engaging in quests and finding things and story bits and putting it and the lore and world and history together yourself, like EverQuest. I know this isn’t that type of game, I understand that, but it isn’t above criticism and reproach lol

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

They have been, from what I’ve seen. I’m giving it poo poo specifically because of that.

You know what I like? A story in a game that you get from exploring and actually engaging in quests and finding things and story bits and putting it and the lore and world and history together yourself, like EverQuest. I know this isn’t that type of game, I understand that, but it isn’t above criticism and reproach lol

Who the gently caress is hyping up ARR?

It is near-universally considered the weakest part of the game, story-wise, the patches especially.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

They get much better at putting story into side quests as things go along -- I feel like the stuff you can do in Coerthas in ARR starts that trend, although the story they're telling there is mostly "it sucks so much to live in Coerthas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

BlazetheInferno posted:

Who the gently caress is hyping up ARR?

It is near-universally considered the weakest part of the game, story-wise, the patches especially.

as a whole, the story has been claimed to be "Worth it" for the game alone lol. Stop acting dense. The fact it takes 100+ hours to get to "the good part" is insane and should be criticized.