Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Does it feel to anyone else like Dave and Bryan are really losing interest in the major shows. It could be the product being swingy, or just the overall amount of content, but it feels like both the WWE and AEW recaps are a slog that they just rush through with little passion. poo poo we didn't even get any proper long form math from Dave during the G1 this year.

I am glad that Dave said what I was already hoping with the Naito win, which is that we're getting Okada/Danielson at the Jan.4th show which I'm going to try to be at this year.

It felt like this week, with one of the most hit or miss Dynamites there should have been more to say. Maybe the Punk drama has drained them as well, because I know that it's certainly put a damper on my enjoyment of the product.

The Dave/Bryan shows are just bad audio now. Bryan saves all his takes and jokes for B&V, and in general the chemistry is rotten these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My Observer subscription recently expired and I haven’t renewed yet. I like most of the podcasts but I found myself skipping a lot of recap shows and really just browse the newsletter itself. I will probably renew but just thought I’d see how people find other subscription services. Does anyone subscribe to Fightful or VoW? Do you feel you get your money’s worth?

VoW is great

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

yea ok posted:

The Dave/Bryan shows are just bad audio now.

now you ruined the timing of the story

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edward Mass posted:

Ever since Collision debuted, they've made it clear there is Too Much Wrestling now. Just WWE and AEW coverage requires 12 hours a week minimum.

Sounds like a good time to drop the WWE.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like a good time to drop the WWE.

The best time to stop watching WWE was twenty years ago, the second best time is now.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

PaybackJack posted:

Does it feel to anyone else like Dave and Bryan are really losing interest in the major shows. It could be the product being swingy, or just the overall amount of content, but it feels like both the WWE and AEW recaps are a slog that they just rush through with little passion. poo poo we didn't even get any proper long form math from Dave during the G1 this year.

I am glad that Dave said what I was already hoping with the Naito win, which is that we're getting Okada/Danielson at the Jan.4th show which I'm going to try to be at this year.

It felt like this week, with one of the most hit or miss Dynamites there should have been more to say. Maybe the Punk drama has drained them as well, because I know that it's certainly put a damper on my enjoyment of the product.

Bryan has never been worst. Dave seems to be kinda walking on eggshells where you can tell he wants to rant about AEW's booking but is holding back either because of all the AEW tension, Bryan's apathy and shittiness, or some other reason.

Dave is much better with Garrett so I think the problem lies with how terrible and lazy Bryan has become. Just actively hurting the show because he wants to get it done so quickly and clearly does not give a poo poo about it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Thanks for the recs, i think I’ll give VoW a shot, especially since I do like the flagship.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bryan likes to post his vacation pics on Facebook, he seems happy there

He's probably not happy watching so much wrestling

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mad how the entire podcast empire is like one decent cohost (Vinnie V) and a bunch of hanger ons who loving suck. Once Dave quits (in 40+ years 🙏🙏🙏🙏) they’re finished

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Quantum of Phallus posted:

mad how the entire podcast empire is like one decent cohost (Vinnie V) and a bunch of hanger ons who loving suck. Once Dave quits (in 40+ years 🙏🙏🙏🙏) they’re finished

Fumi and Jim are great

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I subbed first time like a... decade plus ago, it was Monday for Raw, Late in the week Smackdown and then maybe a weekend show where they'd do questions to fill content time.

I do feel sorry for them now with 3 hour raw, Dynamite, Smackdown, Collision NXT and Rampage. Plus NJPW.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah, I won't hear Jim Valley slander.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And they're doing NWATNA purely for hilarious masochism

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i always look forward to bryan and vinny reviewing non wrestling content like when they reviewed frozen or the mickey mouse club

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

Ever since Collision debuted, they've made it clear there is Too Much Wrestling now. Just WWE and AEW coverage requires 12 hours a week minimum.

If your day job is producing content about wrestling, you can watch 12+ hours of AEW/WWE a week and not bitch about it being really hard to watch wrestling. It's insulting to your audience, a lot of who have actually lovely jobs.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Punch McLightning posted:

If your day job is producing content about wrestling, you can watch 12+ hours of AEW/WWE a week and not bitch about it being really hard to watch wrestling. It's insulting to your audience, a lot of who have actually lovely jobs.

they also watch more than aew/wwe which is probably what adds to it feeling like it's hard to keep up with, along with the fact they do have lives and families. the podcasts and setup is also hours of work each day, keeping up with everything likely does add up to being more than 60 hours a week worth of work especially ppv weeks

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

as a sample

3x bryan and dave shows a week, these are usually between 60-90 minutes of audio and probably 120-180 minutes including setup time.
3x bryan and vinny/bryan granny and vinny/bryan craig and vinny shows which range between 90-120 minutes based on whatever they are reviewing or doing for a show that week
1x bryan and filthy show usually 50 minutes
1x bryan and lance show usually 50 minutes
1x dave and garrett show, lately between 90 and 120 minutes
5x observer live shows, 60 minutes broadcast and 30 minutes prep

on top of that you have, just watching:

raw 180 minutes
nxt 120 minutes
dynamite 120 minutes
smackdown 120 minutes
collision 120 minutes
ufc usually airs each week and just the main card is often 180 minutes
the odd njpw show is usually 180-240 minutes
throwback TNA shows are 120 minutes

then dave has to squeeze an entire newsletter between this

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
If I had to watch 3 hours of Raw and then spend an hour detailing every single thing that happened on it multiple times a week I'd be sick of wrestling too.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

That’s just a byproduct of Dave existing

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
If I was offered a job like this, and it paid well, but they were like, you have to start watching every moment of RAW, Smackdown, and NXT every week... I'd have to think really hard about it. That sit through is miserable. It's not the hours, it's how lovely and corporate the content is. It feels even longer than it is.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Bryan has never phoned it in more and clearly doesn't care anymore. Dave is walking on eggshells about the tension in AEW and is terrified of bad faith attacks if he criticizes WWE, plus because WWE business is up he won't complain too much.

Highly recommend VOW patreon, lots of good audio and an awesome back catalog too

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

as a sample

3x bryan and dave shows a week, these are usually between 60-90 minutes of audio and probably 120-180 minutes including setup time.
3x bryan and vinny/bryan granny and vinny/bryan craig and vinny shows which range between 90-120 minutes based on whatever they are reviewing or doing for a show that week
1x bryan and filthy show usually 50 minutes
1x bryan and lance show usually 50 minutes
1x dave and garrett show, lately between 90 and 120 minutes
5x observer live shows, 60 minutes broadcast and 30 minutes prep

on top of that you have, just watching:

raw 180 minutes
nxt 120 minutes
dynamite 120 minutes
smackdown 120 minutes
collision 120 minutes
ufc usually airs each week and just the main card is often 180 minutes
the odd njpw show is usually 180-240 minutes
throwback TNA shows are 120 minutes

Bryan does not watch the full run timeof any of those shows.

Maybe TNA.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

He absolutely is a fast forwarder for some and others you can tell he didnt watch when he just throws to his cohost and just reacts to the things they say while he prepares his Sparta's order in the background

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the official Bryan Alvarez +10 of the Night

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Im now remembering the YOUR loving LYING discourse when he got caught fast forwarding TUF and claimed they didnt put name graphics for dudes up when they absolutely did

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan has noted at least a couple of times recently that he has basically begged Dave to do the shows earlier by either skipping a show (as in, have them switch up so one of them reviews NXT, one reviews Dynamite or G1 or what have you) or at the very least zipping through all the extraneous filler content on WWE shows, but Dave insists on watching everything before the start, and so by the time they do it's 1am or 2am and Bryan has to be up in 5 hours with two small children and he's just exhausted and trying his hardest to get them through the show so he can get some sleep.

Those times where Dave and Bryan do a show earlier or get together in person for a show, the energy is way up and Bryan is actually engaging in the show and it's way better for it.

Still really enjoy the various podcasts on Wrestling Observer/Figure 4 and think it's crazy value for money, but I can absolutely commiserate with how tired Bryan must be and how difficult it is for both of them to have to watch so much wrestling... and that's even before throwing stuff like UFC into the mix.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I wonder how well Bryan survives if/when Dave retires. I know Dave is the main draw for me and if you remove Dave then it's pretty much just a guy talking about old wrestling shows and recapping Raw and Dynamite with his high school buddies and family and I don't know if there's much setting him apart from the other 10,000 podcasts doing that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope Dave outlives me but I’d cancel the second he stops doing WOR

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
why is it always the garrett shows that become must listen

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

why is it always the garrett shows that become must listen

he’s so bad lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Garrett has never been involved with anything that was must listen

Dude could offer to tell me next week’s lottery numbers and I’d still be tempted to skip it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1692599169142108238

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
G1 snowflakes?

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

great first hour on the Flagship this week

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1692686355090829772?s=46&t=ZiGj6j-OsXu3OH1bWlxl5g

Oh hell yeah.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

God damnit the first WOL after the FTR news is a Semp solo show there is no god

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston

Sticky Nate posted:

great first hour on the Flagship this week

Loved it

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I liked VOW's first hour and I am going to look up Judy Martin's stuff and Lanza really called me out in regards to the Punk and the power structure in AEW as I was one of the hysterical people regarding that situation.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

More and more are saying how the Flagship knocks it out of the park week in week out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tenay still being salty decades later about the bad quality of MSG's printed programs compared to Japanese cards :allears: