Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
There's a better way that's ten bucks cheaper, too. i only had the problem when i'd spin up little random windows vms for ham radio stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well if it's just a random vm then who cares yeah. but dont have that poo poo on the corner of your real computer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my desktop is covered by windows, aint got time to look at the backgorund :clint:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

cd-audio cables from your cdrom drive to your sound card, so you can listen to music by pressing the little play button directly on the front plate of the drive

e: or use the windows cd player app, i guess

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

well-read undead posted:

cd-audio cables from your cdrom drive to your sound card, so you can listen to music by pressing the little play button directly on the front plate of the drive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:allears:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

well if it's just a random vm then who cares yeah. but dont have that poo poo on the corner of your real computer

yeah mac os doesn’t have it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
remember when you had to pay to upgrade mac

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

git apologist posted:

yeah mac os doesn’t have it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

same but ios

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Pulcinella posted:

A bunch of PC Capcom games became unplayable when GFWL went down, including RE5, Street Fighter × Tekken, and I think some of the Lost Planet games. Not sure if Capcom ever went back to patch it out.

Capcom didn't, but cursory glance at software section of archive.org shows that gamers did mod the poo poo out of those games. Somebody uploaded a hefty 25gb package of Gears of War, with GFWL stripped and tons of maps/mods included and who knows what else

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sagebrush posted:

i'm baffled at any yosposter who has an unregistered copy of windows with the shameful nag text in the corner. you know you can buy a license for 10 bucks from a goon in sa-mart right? don't be pathetic.

Yes, of course I do now that you've mentioned it, thank you.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 17, 2023

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sagebrush posted:

i'm baffled at any yosposter who has an unregistered copy of windows with the shameful nag text in the corner. you know you can buy a license for 10 bucks from a goon in sa-mart right? don't be pathetic.

You can run a kms server on almost anything that runs linux or python and will allow you to install your own software. As a bonus it will let you use a ton of other microsoft products too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
there’s one command you can type into powershell and it does it all permamently too

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Wild EEPROM posted:

there’s one command you can type into powershell and it does it all permamently too

Microsoft will do anything to get people to using powershell.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

well-read undead posted:

the little 2 pin SPDIF header on motherboards. I actually used this back in the day when i set up a lovely "htpc" across the living room from the stereo, and it passed flawless surround sound with no fiddling. i was amazed

e: run was about 35 feet of cat5 that i just soldered RCA plugs on to lol

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

fins posted:

named after Hector D. Byrd, who's still going strong!

e: 13 years ago today, i asked asked Andrew Welch about the rights for further development of the EV series

I would totally buy a new EV, none of the 'spiritual successors' that i've tried have scratched the itch

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

the little 2 pin SPDIF header on motherboards. I actually used this back in the day when i set up a lovely "htpc" across the living room from the stereo, and it passed flawless surround sound with no fiddling. i was amazed

e: run was about 35 feet of cat5 that i just soldered RCA plugs on to lol

There were a few optical drives that had a 2 pin digital out from the drive itself

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sound cards having a cdrom controller onboard because “multimedia PC” was the buzzword of the day

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

echinopsis posted:

i waited in line outside an apple store with 50 other people to buy Leopard. they did give us all free tshirts tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol why would you do that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The windows right click option for "Create New Shortcut"

has anyone in the history of computer touching ever used that?

i literally used it today

before this i couldn't tell you when

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

extremely wrong buzzer noise! one of the unregistered win10 things is that you can't go to the control panel and set your wallpaper, but you can right click any image and set as wallpaper and it works. lol

yeah smh at anyone that doesn’t have a wallpaper folder full of jpgs set to “large thumbnail” view for this purpose

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

lol why would you do that

did you even read the post?

tmesis posted:

free tshirts

sheesh!

I'd wear a big leopard X t-shirt for sure

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i stopped setting desktop wallpapers somewhere along the way, i just don’t care anymore

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
desktop is where the anime babes go

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

well-read undead posted:

i stopped setting desktop wallpapers somewhere along the way, i just don’t care anymore

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tmesis posted:

i waited in line outside an apple store with 50 other people to buy Leopard. they did give us all free tshirts tho

i think that's the one i stood in line for, too! i did it for the spectacle of it, mostly

some dude really liked the secure delete feature being easier to use, and there were a bunch of iphone users clinging to the store wifi

i don't know if i bought it that day? probably

Silver Alicorn posted:

desktop is where the anime babes go

these are supposed to come with the distro and auto-rotate, why would you want to change them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i only change my desktop background once a year, if that. but damned if i'm gonna have the shameful default picture. boooo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Agile Vector posted:

these are supposed to come with the distro and auto-rotate, why would you want to change them

they only come with the good distros like uwuntu

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol if you ever look at your desktop

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

njsykora posted:

they only come with the good distros like uwuntu

good gravy, it's real :aaa:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah michaelmjd on youtube did a video on it, it's not even the only one like that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

i literally used it today

before this i couldn't tell you when

i sometimes use it to create new shortcuts

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bill gates gave us the perfect desktop backdrop back in 2001

what possible reason would anyone have to ever change it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The very first thing i do to a new computer is downlod the whole Propaganda tile set and set it to tile and rotate every 30min

(if you're old like me -- these are the backgrounds that came with Enlightenment back in the day)

https://github.com/BenjaminHCCarr/PropagandaTiles

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I still have Birthday-For-Bajit-3, Brian-Likes-Bush-1, Fire-In-The-Hole-3, Hans-Ponders-5, Insane-Purple-Dinosaur-3, In-The-Shade-1, Life-After-Death-1, My-Lovely-Ginger-4, and Sasquatch-Suction-2 in my wallpaper directory.

not that I ever use any of them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tmesis posted:

“free”

mf you paid for them

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

posting on page 100

btw, the least useful right-click menu item was 'create new briefcase'. idk if anyone every used ms briefcases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the least useful was everything that wasnt create new folder