Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I was (am) an idiot and have spun a car on at least two rotational axis. No front or back flip yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Only two spins:

Shelby GT500 on the drag strip - drove through the burnout box instead of around it, and didn’t warm up/dry the tires. 360 in my own lane and ended up 1” from the barrier. Felt fine til I got back to the pits and then the shakes set in.

Bronco - coming up a hill in winter and hit a patch of black ice. Veeeerrrryyyy slow spin into a field. It was calm and fun. When I stopped, I just put it into 4HI and drove away gently.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My first car (Saturn l300) showed me the true meaning of understeer by sliding up over the curb, continuing sideways until bouncing off a cinder block wall, and then proceeding through a 5" thick desert pine tree before coming to rest on the gravel of a parking lot island.

No spin, so I'm obv. a very good driver.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I spun a 240sx when I first started learning how to drive a manual. I was making a left turn in a heavy down pour and tried to go for a gap that was a bit smaller than I had liked. I dumped the clutch and spun after successfully completing the turn.

On the track I've spun sideways when I was practicing drifting so Im not sure if that counts.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The one time I honestly lost control of a car was back in 2014 when I was doing the slippery course part of my license and we had to do repeated runs through a short cone section. The instructor basically just told me to go faster and eventually to not brake at all before I reach the cones because the whole idea was to find the point at which you simply don't have enough traction to make the turn through the cones cleanly.

Anyway I think he misunderestimated how wide I'd be coming out of the turn since he legitimately jumped out of the way into the snowbank lining the course because otherwise he would've been right in my path. I did manage to correct course and brake enough that it wasn't actually a close call but it sure as gently caress looked dodgy coming in hot from the cones. Suffice to say it did function as a pretty good lesson on just how scary it can be if you take a slippery corner too fast and suddenly get to experience a very harsh physics lesson.

It's probably why the closest I've got to something similar has been a few instances of mildly surprising oversteer taking a corner on a narrow, freshly snow-covered road. Nothing dramatic, mostly caused by my desire to keep in my lane rather than go wide in a corner with poor visibility on an empty village road (it was Christmas Eve so literally nobody was out and about but it was also snowing and like 4pm so literally pitch black).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ruflux posted:

Anyway I think he misunderestimated

So does this mean overestimated, or estimated correctly?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ruflux posted:

The one time I honestly lost control of a car was back in 2014 when I was doing the slippery course part of my license and we had to do repeated runs through a short cone section. The instructor basically just told me to go faster and eventually to not brake at all before I reach the cones because the whole idea was to find the point at which you simply don't have enough traction to make the turn through the cones cleanly.

This is just like how my first 180 happened. We were doing swerves over a wet, plastic skid pad. I had managed well enough that the instructor wanted me to try it at faster speeds. The last attempt was at 50km/h.

The problem was that my family's old Saab had a sticky speedo and the needle wouldn't climb fast enough during the acceleration section. My idea was to accelerate to above 50 so the speedo would drag the needle with extra force and then I would slow down. With the result that I don't actually know how fast I was driving. I went over the braking section fast enough I barely managed to touch the pedal, then I turned, spun immediately, slid backwards over the skid pad and on to the dry tarmac. That let out quite a screech from the tires.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I lost control of my Quattro during Snowmageddon '17 in Atlanta because I hit black ice while trying to brake for an intersection. Haven't really spun out yet, at least in an uncontrolled manner.

https://www.weather.gov/ffc/20171208_Winter_Storm

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

So does this mean overestimated, or estimated correctly?

Yes.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I got going pretty good around the 3:00 minute mark here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZwgYHGWr8Q&t=180s

Now I live in the South, so I won't get the chance to do this again any time soon.

On the plus side, I won't have to worry about pirouetteing sideways through an intersection any time soon, either. Major takeaway there was that just because the road you're on is plowed and dry, it doesn't mean the turn lanes are... pulled into the right turn lane and just couldn't stop. I'm extremely lucky I didn't cream anybody.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

I had a 1985ish Charger that I “bought” from a college student* when I was like 17. It needed front brakes so my dad told me to just use the emergency brake. I needed to slow down in a corner and pulled the handle. That was at least a 180 spin. Thanks dad.

*college student was so far behind on the loan that it got repossessed from him/me lol. I was going to take over the loan so no money had actually changed hands yet.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Ruflux posted:

I was doing the slippery course part of my license

The what now?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
(autocrosses an mr2 with square tires)

I spin every 8 runs or so.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The after-license part you completely forget about until a year and a half after you've passed your license test and then call up your instructor around Christmastime that oops, I actually need to get the second phase done before the army. Also I'm due on for that on the 5th of January so it's probably urgent.

Technically speaking I only got my full driver's license in early 2015, despite completing driving school and passing in June 2013. My license expires in 2030 which according to current law IIRC requires me to prove on a basic level I'm still competent to operate a motor vehicle to get a renewal.

I realize this is entirely incomprehensible to most users so to make it easier for you: it cost well over a grand to get a license and because reasons I and everyone else in my age group skipped over a fair few hours of driving (which were still billed) once the instructor decided we'd gotten experienced enough to take the exam. He had a schedule to run, after all.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

no lube so what posted:

(autocrosses an mr2 with square tires)

I spin every 8 runs or so.

Look at the stig humble bragging over here.

:P

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ruflux posted:

The after-license part you completely forget about until a year and a half after you've passed your license test and then call up your instructor around Christmastime that oops, I actually need to get the second phase done before the army. Also I'm due on for that on the 5th of January so it's probably urgent.

Technically speaking I only got my full driver's license in early 2015, despite completing driving school and passing in June 2013. My license expires in 2030 which according to current law IIRC requires me to prove on a basic level I'm still competent to operate a motor vehicle to get a renewal.

I realize this is entirely incomprehensible to most users so to make it easier for you: it cost well over a grand to get a license and because reasons I and everyone else in my age group skipped over a fair few hours of driving (which were still billed) once the instructor decided we'd gotten experienced enough to take the exam. He had a schedule to run, after all.

Are you in one of those countries where you need more then a pulse to get a license?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

'79 LTD, turned a corner one winter and 180ed. Figured hell, nice wide road and no traffic, goosed the gas pedal and turned it into a 360, kept driving.

'97 S-10 Blazer, the little old farmer being courteous and pulling over on the shoulder to let me pass actually turned out to be a 14 year old girl who stole her dad's truck to go joyriding and didn't have a loving clue about mirrors, pulled back into me in the front fender hard enough to send me on a barrel roll and a half.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hey kid, wanna drive a Ferrari through a corn field?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

WhistlinDiesel just breaks stuff for the clicks. I'd love if he'd eventually just disappear off the internet. Destroying good stuff so people get mad is his whole thing, and it's a sucky thing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

drat dude just stands there while emergency services deals with his bullshit, I'm like make his dumb rear end put it out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat dude just stands there while emergency services deals with his bullshit, I'm like make his dumb rear end put it out.

Dude's a piece of poo poo, don't give him clicks. KakerMix is a hero for refusing to sell him a truck.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I assume all YouTubers are douchebags, even the ones I tend to watch (like samcrac). But I don't really give a poo poo if a Ferrari burns up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What a genius move to drive around a bunch of dried plants in a car that gets really hot.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

GD_American posted:

I assume all YouTubers are douchebags, even the ones I tend to watch (like samcrac). But I don't really give a poo poo if a Ferrari burns up.

Last time I saw him in person there was a Trump sticker in the back window of his truck.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

is there anyone in this subforum who hasnt spun a car?

spinning is too e-z, call me when you've end-over-ended (please don't do this, I was 18 and very lucky to live)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I ran over curbs plenty but never spun(it's the magic of always driving 4x4 shitboxes).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I once spun my 1984 Jetta with a little assistance from a big rig.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

madeintaipei posted:

Last time I saw him in person there was a Trump sticker in the back window of his truck.

I refer you back to the first part of my statement.

He's a rich farm kid in the Midwest. I assume just from watching five minutes of Bam MAGAera that he's an intolerable twit who makes things people find funny.

I just think burning a Ferrari to the frame on purpose isn't something that moves my needle

GD_American fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 19, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Well it did stop.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had to do mandatory low friction training as part of getting my licence back in the 1990's. It was on oiled pads sprayed with water, which is still a thing, though these days there are also cars equipped with caster wheels that give a similar effect on dry asphalt. I recall doing understeer and threshold brake drills with a FWD car (VW Golf) without ABS and also oversteer drills cornering with a RWD car (some kind of Mercedes) lacking traction control, also equipped with intentionally lovely funky looking rear tires. I think maybe I spun out once in that one, not sure though. Pretty fun day, but cost a fair bit of money. Looking at youtube, it seems like a very similar setup to what I did is used up to this day (video description says the course is like €250):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ALnkEq-8w

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://imgur.com/Us4t2HH.mp4

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

What is that a Bronco

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StormDrain posted:

What is that a Bronco

Ford Explorer maybe

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

What is that a Bronco

Murciélago maybe?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Holy loving poo poo volume warning please.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

What is that a Bucking Bronco

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

There it is!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

AirRaid posted:

Holy loving poo poo volume warning please.

do they control your phone volume or autoplay settings lolo

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

I was about 2/3rds of the way through thinking to myself that I was impressed with how strong that trailer hitch was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn. At least they strapped it down really well.