Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Also it depends which SKS you got because there's like three of them and they have quite different levels of compatibility with addons. I think one of them has a canted sight and can take a lot of scopes, while the basic one is pretty crap.

Crap? Hardly! Sure it can't take many attachments or fancy bits but it'll still reliably dome bandits from as far away as you need to be, and handle early army or merc guys no problem either. Honestly the biggest trap is trying to keep it fed without going flatass broke early on like others have said.

Bishop Beo posted:

As I start looking for assault rifles and the like, is there any real reason to go NATO vs WP? I would assume that WP stuff would be easier to get ammo for.

Like everyone else said that choice mainly lies in who you're friendly with and can expect to secure a steady supply of ammo from.

When you move on to fancy battle rifles and the like, I have to say I definitely prefer NATO, fancy new rifles like the SCAR-H have more options in attachments than the generally older WP Draugnovs and whatever.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bishop Beo posted:

I actually just found an SKS with a barrel in great shape, should pair nicely with my TOZ-34!

As I start looking for assault rifles and the like, is there any real reason to go NATO vs WP? I would assume that WP stuff would be easier to get ammo for.

like Arrath says, most of the high end weapons use 7.62 nato ammo, but if you can get your hands on the 7.62 ACE, you can convert it to use 7.62x54.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

76.2x54 7n14 is a great round that'll penetrate drat near everything short of an Exo, and even those won't hold up to multiple shots. Puts many light to medium armored stalkers down into bleed out in a single chest shot. Wonderfully effective round.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
This may be a case of not be properly balanced yet, but they introduced a new Groza in GAMMA called the OC-14 "Dolg" that is chambered in 5.45 and it absolutely shreds. At first I thought I was just being a crackshot with it, despite its short barrel, but it turns out that its damage value is actually higher than a typical 5.45 or 5.56 gun should be for its weight class. It's a rare case of "but we have Groza at home" being better than the actual 9X39 Groza, provided you don't miss the integrated grenade launcher. It's like having a 60-round, pointable SMG with a laser that spits out intermediate rifle damage. I guess this is balanced out by the fact that it requires an advanced weapons repair kit it so you'll have to wait for expert tools or get lucky like me and find one early on with a repairable barrel.

Also, I just love its hideous, bubbafied look that takes an already short, bullpupped Krink, then chops the barrel down even further to the point that you have to weld on a bit of pic rail to fit a foregrip that leaves your handle practically parallel with the muzzle. I love topping it off with the cheap Groza adjustable scope because its tube sticks out even further than the barrel.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arrath posted:

Crap? Hardly! Sure it can't take many attachments or fancy bits but it'll still reliably dome bandits from as far away as you need to be, and handle early army or merc guys no problem either. Honestly the biggest trap is trying to keep it fed without going flatass broke early on like others have said.

I found the SKS with a PU to be more affordable than anything else early game, simply because it meant that I was rarely using more than a couple shots to kill any given target, and often one. 9mm, .45, and god forbid buckshot against most humans means you will be pumping way more lead downrange to get the same kill, and probably take more damage (and meds) in return. Note that this advice sucks for mutants, but that's what .45 is for.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

moot the hopple posted:

This may be a case of not be properly balanced yet, but they introduced a new Groza in GAMMA called the OC-14 "Dolg" that is chambered in 5.45 and it absolutely shreds. At first I thought I was just being a crackshot with it, despite its short barrel, but it turns out that its damage value is actually higher than a typical 5.45 or 5.56 gun should be for its weight class. It's a rare case of "but we have Groza at home" being better than the actual 9X39 Groza, provided you don't miss the integrated grenade launcher. It's like having a 60-round, pointable SMG with a laser that spits out intermediate rifle damage. I guess this is balanced out by the fact that it requires an advanced weapons repair kit it so you'll have to wait for expert tools or get lucky like me and find one early on with a repairable barrel.

Also, I just love its hideous, bubbafied look that takes an already short, bullpupped Krink, then chops the barrel down even further to the point that you have to weld on a bit of pic rail to fit a foregrip that leaves your handle practically parallel with the muzzle. I love topping it off with the cheap Groza adjustable scope because its tube sticks out even further than the barrel.

I believe its improperly balanced cause the gun is still doing 9x39 damage but using the 5.45 round. Or, at least, the gun still displays "40 damage".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arrath posted:

Like everyone else said that choice mainly lies in who you're friendly with and can expect to secure a steady supply of ammo from.

I admit I would probably rather just stick with a mossberg for that, slugs work well at range.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I cleaned up a kar98k and a mossberg shorty and that did me good for a long time. Use the same weapon kit too which is nice.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hope we get to see some of the Stalker 2 demo at Gamescom.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Twitch streamer Lennic should be getting some footage of it. He's a pretty hard core Stalker streamer.

lol he was in queue:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1906385181?t=952s

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Floor is lava posted:

Twitch streamer Lennic should be getting some footage of it. He's a pretty hard core Stalker streamer.

lol he was in queue:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1906385181?t=952s

Man I kinda feel bad for Lennic. Dude has been streaming almost exclusively Stalker and Stalker adjacent stuff for years and iirc they wouldn't give him any access to the setup that would let him stream the demo because his metrics aren't good enough.

Did he ever get to play?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Man I kinda feel bad for Lennic. Dude has been streaming almost exclusively Stalker and Stalker adjacent stuff for years and iirc they wouldn't give him any access to the setup that would let him stream the demo because his metrics aren't good enough.

Did he ever get to play?

Wut? Were they hoping Dream would show up or something?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm sure a lot of people have already heard, but since I don't think it's been brought up in this thread yet, STALKER 2 has officially had its release date pushed to Q1 2024 https://wccftech.com/stalker-2-is-delayed-to-q1-2024-says-official-fact-sheet/

The good news is that it at least appears to be real, and various outlets are getting their hands on it https://www.pcgamer.com/stalker-2-hands-on-gamescome/

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

nexus6 posted:

Wut? Were they hoping Dream would show up or something?

Basically yeah, I think they wanted the space left open for people that average like 3k+ viewers and since Lennic is a small streamer that built his audience playing STALKER (mostly Anomaly) he does not reach those numbers.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I finally got a new system, on windows 11, stalker runs but there is no sound…. Googling seems to yield that stalker games don’t really like windows 11.

Anyone experienced this and managed to resolve it? The game runs perfectly, just no sound

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Works fine on my 11. Try this unintuitive trick; alt-tab out and back in, maybe start some other program in-between like calculator etc, try running windowed or fullscreen.

There's something very old school about stalker, where it rewards you for having that "10 year old with to much time and patience" magic computer touch

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Welp ive no idea what I actually did, but through an unrepeatable series of actions i now have audio.

:iiam:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDHClWRHd8

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

when did the name change from Chernobyl to Chornobyl

i've been the mandalorian effect-ed

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 24, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Floor is lava posted:

when did the name change from Chernobyl to Chornobyl

Apparently Chernobyl is the Russian spelling, whereas Chornobyl is the Ukrainian spelling. I don't know when, specifically, this changed with STALKER, but I know that after Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine, efforts were made to reemphasize the spelling and/or pronunciation of Ukrainian words. You see the same thing happen with "Kiev" (Russian) --> "Kyiv" (Ukrainian)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Sounds better when pronouncing it with the O.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Looks really cool. Hope they don't have the super grindy survival things of GAMMA/EFP.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hopefully we can mod the poo poo out of it so modders can add all the super grindy survival things of GAMMA/EFP

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah that’s basically my ideal scenario. The game itself is a fun, modern version of the originals that also will be modded to the nines GAMMA style in a few years.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Control Volume posted:

Hopefully we can mod the poo poo out of it so modders can add all the super grindy survival things of GAMMA/EFP

I recall reading that adding in VR support to existing unreal games is doable.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

That looks like everything I could have ever wanted. Question is why a guy with a distinctly American accent is in the Zone unless he's with some independent contractor or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

That looks like everything I could have ever wanted. Question is why a guy with a distinctly American accent is in the Zone unless he's with some independent contractor or something.

If our universe had a demonstrably real room that grants wishes and magical artifacts that have basically superpowers I think it’d be way more than a purely Russian/Eastern European endeavor, at least after a bit.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Orv posted:

If our universe had a demonstrably real room that grants wishes and magical artifacts that have basically superpowers I think it’d be way more than a purely Russian/Eastern European endeavor, at least after a bit.

Yeah I do hope there are some other countries involved this time and it isn't just a random American protag for a new audience.

Anyway,

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Phoix posted:

Yeah I do hope there are some other countries involved this time and it isn't just a random American protag for a new audience.

Anyway,

If they added a separate "Hardcore" mode like Fallout did that would be ideal. STALKER's already notoriously tough, so I don't know what that guy's on about unless he's a newbie to the franchise.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 24, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's already precedent for foreigners with the mercenaries in the previous games, although yeah giving the protagonist a clearly American accent is probably a concession to western audiences (given the political situation between Ukraine and Russia it's not too surprising that they might not be aiming to make too many sales there).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's dubbed. I guarantee you all the characters are Ukrainian speaking diageticly and the English voice actors aren't attempting fake accents this time. I for one will now absolutely never play it with American voices on

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Phoix posted:

Anyway,

Games journos have trouble with games where you have to jump, so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I hope they keep the wonky difficulty settings of the first games where hard is the only reasonable way to play. Game actually looks good!

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I figured I’d share the details on my “Stalker has no sound on windows11” issue:

Despite having my sound in windows set to the HDMI primary monitor, directx in stalker was not respecting that setting and instead just choosing a device from the list of all available, which seemed to consistently pick the secondary monitor on the displayport that does not have audio. Once I disabled it in the “manage audio devices” menu of Settings, stalker would now send audio to the expected monitor and i have sound now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

my bony fealty posted:

I hope they keep the wonky difficulty settings of the first games where hard STALKER is the only reasonable way to play. Game actually looks good!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Killswitch posted:

I figured I’d share the details on my “Stalker has no sound on windows11” issue:

Despite having my sound in windows set to the HDMI primary monitor, directx in stalker was not respecting that setting and instead just choosing a device from the list of all available, which seemed to consistently pick the secondary monitor on the displayport that does not have audio. Once I disabled it in the “manage audio devices” menu of Settings, stalker would now send audio to the expected monitor and i have sound now.

For the little bit I was on Win11, I had some weird bugs like this, sound just totally going away.

I solved it (and the other Win11 problems) by going back to Win10 :v:

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

manero posted:

For the little bit I was on Win11, I had some weird bugs like this, sound just totally going away.

I solved it (and the other Win11 problems) by going back to Win10 :v:

Haha, yea I was reeeeally not wanting to downgrade, i just bought the win11 key!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
yeah, Ukranian voices, and subs. some people say they hate the stalker VA, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013