Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm very bummed. It's worth it to get people paid fairly, but still a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If it weren't for those greedy actors and writers we'd have this movie this year.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not surprised, and nor am I that unhappy about it.

Denmark managed to make McDonalds recognize a union back in the 80s and as a result the folks working there get a salary of more than $20/hour, 6 weeks vacation each year, and sick pay just like everyone else - and this win translated into much bigger support for unions, because it proved that they work, and they're the only way we have a chance against the greediest of our entire civilization.

So if it means not seeing a movie for a bit, in order to give unions a realistic chance to become more powerful in Usania, I say it's worth it.

Yeah, except it has nothing to do with the strike other than studios hoping the public will blame the workers for the delay and hedging the studios bet if the strike lasts another six months…

But yeah, a Big Mac in Denmark costs about 30¢ more than in the US and their workers get all of the above benefits. Which reminds me of that time Papa John said that if he wanted to offer everyone in his company healthcare it would increase the price of each $9.99 large pizza by ten cents and I thought “how evil does a person have to be to not have already done that for ten cents?”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sounds like jihad's back on the table

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lmao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

If it weren't for those greedy actors and writers we'd have this movie this year.

The people who can destroy a thing, control it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

just a reminder that variety is a studio-controlled rag. notice some of the language they're using here

quote:

The “Dune” delay comes as the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes continue to drag on. Due to the SAG-AFTRA strike, actors may not do press for any struck films, which would have meant the star-studded “Dune” cast would not have been on the press circuit for the big-budget film.

The date change is not expected to have a material impact on IMAX, who has fall product in titles like “The Equalizer 3,” “Wonka” and “The Marvels” (assuming none of those titles move on the calendar, as well). Both WB and Legendary are confident that next year’s spring break for students and the Easter holiday will provide runway for both titles to succeed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

“Dune: Part Two” has been delayed to 2024.

The story of Paul Atreides, played by Timothée Chalamet, will be continued on March 15.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

it's already 2023 and now i have to wait until 2024 for this movie? what the gently caress???

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Wafflecopper posted:

it's already 2023 and now i have to wait until 2024 for this movie? what the gently caress???

Keep in mind under normal conditions this movie would have been out for a year by now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Eh, it's a longer wait but it's no New Mutants.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The people who can destroy a thing, control it.

:hmmyes:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
In the meantime Rowan J Coleman talks about the first Dune most of us ever saw, the SciFi Channel Miniseries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iFMrP-TchA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5WxABzbC1I

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 16, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm reading "The Sabres of Paradise", and the influence on Dune is immediately obvious. It's very compellingly written, but even by the standards of 1960 it leans incredibly heavily on race science and orientalism. Blanch also loves pseudo-etymology: I've been fact-checking his claims about the origins of certain words, since I find that stuff interesting anyway, and virtually every etymology he puts forward matter-of-factly is completely wrong. It's a good read, if you treat it more or less like a work of fiction.

ETA: It's not all uniformly retrograde. Blanch is surprisingly blunt about British hypocrisy when it comes to their critiques of Russian imperialism.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 15, 2023

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
not sure why they're still releasing trailers for this thing when it came out a month ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

what’s the future like?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Boris Galerkin posted:

what’s the future like?

it sucks

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

I hate to overreact but, this is the best trailer I have ever seen in my life.

aledesma fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 12, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

aledesma posted:

that's what I said about the dunc 1 trailer

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kalel posted:

that's what I said about the dunc 1 trailer
and look how that turned out

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd be okay with skipping all that plot and character stuff, and just having two hours of sandworms emerging from dust storms.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The banners freaking rule. Thats some Warhammer 40k grim dark poo poo.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Pretty good trailer, some insane costume and set designs. I like how they expanded on the atreides theme in the trailer music. I'm a dumbass so consider me hyped.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
Loved the Pokeball ship. It's like Muad'dib said, "Gotta Catch 'Em All".

On a more serious note. Some of the fx are really cheap looking, the overall tone of sterility persists, and what we have seen of Emperor looks rather bland. He's the loving 81st Padishah Emperor of House Corrino, ruler of the known universe Denis, not "some bloke".

JockstrapManthrust fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 13, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JockstrapManthrust posted:

Loved the Pokeball ship. It's like Muad'dib said, "Gotta Catch 'Em All".

On a more serious note. Some of the fx are really cheap looking, the overall tone of sterility persists, and what we have seen of Emperor looks rather bland. He's the loving 81st Padishah Emperor of House Corrino, ruler of the known universe Denis, not "some bloke".

he's described in the books as a geezer in black army surplus, there's zero pomp/circumstance

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
He's Christopher Walken and he says "Send assassins!", sounds great to me

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

sebmojo posted:

he's described in the books as a geezer in black army surplus, there's zero pomp/circumstance

I know, but that makes for rather dull cinema and mutes the epicness of the overall story. I'm not looking for the Golden Throne from Lynch's version either, but something a tiny bit grander than bloke in shirt. Anyways, it’s one scene and let’s see how it is when the film is out.

JockstrapManthrust fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 13, 2023

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Tree Bucket posted:

I'd be okay with skipping all that plot and character stuff, and just having two hours of sandworms emerging from dust storms.

I'd be okay with skipping the sandworms and just having two hours of the most intense stareoffs in cinema history.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's so nice to see a trailer without excessive noise deadening, loving clock ticking sounds or the entire movie described in voiceovers, so yeah

aledesma posted:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

sebmojo posted:

An old geezer who looks in his mid-30s.:eng101: Also described as having a slim face and cold eyes, so Walken fits in that regard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There are things much easier to describe in text than convincingly portray in a visual medium.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it's in keeping with the general decayed feeling of the Imperium. The Emperor wears a bare military uniform because that's all he has to keep him in power. The ideology that once raised up this state is dead and all that's left is greed and force holding the whole shambling enterprise together.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It also reflects on what Paul becomes upon achieving the throne - not a hero-king but another, more terrible emperor. Shaddam affects the appearance of that which backs his power with the Sardaukar, and with the Fremen so does Paul.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, but in the end it's not really about Paul, it's about steering mankind against an enemy that doesn't appear for tens of thousands of years later that Paul can see with his futuresight. I gave up after book 4, though. When you look at Warham, you kinda have to laugh how much they took from everyone.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 13, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Four thousand years of stagnation to destroy the woke mind virus.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jewmanji posted:

Four thousand years of stagnation to destroy the woke mind virus.

No. Four thousand years of stagnation to create the woke mind virus.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

aledesma posted:

agreed, but AND a heartly lol @ the subtle but undeniable Walken cadence on "Deal ,,,,, with this prophet -"

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Philthy posted:

Yeah, but in the end it's not really about Paul, it's about steering mankind against an enemy that doesn't appear for tens of thousands of years later that Paul can see with his futuresight. I gave up after book 4, though. When you look at Warham, you kinda have to laugh how much they took from everyone.

Wait... what? I thought Paul was just trying to avoid the galactic jihad that would have taken place after he assumed the throne?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

breadshaped posted:

It's so nice to see a trailer without excessive noise deadening, loving clock ticking sounds or the entire movie described in voiceovers, so yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOdjqyG37A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:perfect: