Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kliras posted:

i imagine the regular fans' noise profiles are above par beyond basic cfm and db measurements, but i wouldn't default to their coolers just because

This is something even GN could improve on in their testing. It might be too much work to do noise normalized testing over a range of noise levels, but I have seen written reviews that do just that.

(I’ve harped on this before, but their current methodology overrates coolers like the Arctic 34 Duo, which looks decent at high RPM, but is relatively noisy in the mid range)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also, along with my other possible misgivings with some noise weirdness, the rubber cover for the screw holes on the phanteks t30 are way too squishy and easy to distort too much by placement and screwing down, which is next to impossible to address in a review

i don't think anyone can accuse noctua of not finetuning their products, it's just that they're a little too complacement with the pace of new releases as well as some pricing

fan hysteresis noise measurement would also be an interesting data point, since a lot of benchmarks and sff people run their fans at more or less constant high speed

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

The Illusive Man posted:

I bought a NH-D15 in 2017 and it’s pretty awesome that I was able to use it in my new build this summer with only needing a simple adapter. Noctua is still unmatched as far as longevity and long-term support, but they’re definitely due for a refresh of the D15 in the face of current competition.

In 2018 I actually went back and bought an NH-D14 because I wanted to see how far my old LGA1366 Xeon would go. When I built an AM4 system several months later, all I had to do was email Noctua the proof of purchase and they sent me a bracket. A newer model with the same footprint might perform better, but it turns out that a 220W-rated cooler is still way overkill for a 5800X3D even if it was originally released in 2009. If Noctua keeps putting out brackets then it might one day follow me again to a third system.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Sure, but you can get +90% there with a lot of tower coolers half the price or less of a NH-D15. Noctua is great but anyone with a budget will do just fine with a lot of alternatives. 100$ for a tower cooler is a lot of money.

A thing that is still really good about Noctua is that when a new socket with different mounting specs comes out, they make mounting kits for their old coolers and will send you one for for free if you have your receipts. Air coolers last forever, having to replace them for mounting specs is dumb. Noctua have by far the best track record in this area.

Also Noctua fans are high quality, and have great longevity.

So it's like, noctua is more up front, but if you are still using it a decade from now when a cheaper option needs to be replaced twice then you come out ahead.

(But also yes, if you're on a budget the D15 is both expensive and probably overkill. Plus I'd hate to buy a D15 right now when they're finally about to release a new version.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

to be fair i wouldn't put any stock in noctua being "about to release" anything given their tendency to delay products for entire years

i'll believe it when it's on store shelves

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
as much as i like my black d15, waiting an extra like two years for it was less than great

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Man has it really been a week and a half since the last video and a full week of radio silence? I feel like there some kind of communication that I've been missing.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

i mean if they didn't do any work for a week it'll probably take a little while for them to get their production pipeline back up and running, especially if they've decided to start taking more time on their videos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Man has it really been a week and a half since the last video and a full week of radio silence? I feel like there some kind of communication that I've been missing.

Tech team is working out the bugs with their system of nested kill-switches that will be monitored by 6 different people that can shut Linus up in varied ways.

Final kill switch is just a Dr. Evil style trapdoor under Linus that sends him to the furnace.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Also remaining silent lets the whole thing fade into the background. I assume someone is stationed next to linus smacking his hand with a ruler whenever he reaches for a keyboard or phone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the keep quiet and pretend it never happened once the heat's died down strategy isn't the most entertaining but it's the most effective for the purpose of making everyone forget it happened.

Also does Noctua still basically have sole ownership of the low profile SFF air cooler market just because literally no-one else is even trying in that market?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

Yeah the keep quiet and pretend it never happened once the heat's died down strategy isn't the most entertaining but it's the most effective for the purpose of making everyone forget it happened.

Also does Noctua still basically have sole ownership of the low profile SFF air cooler market just because literally no-one else is even trying in that market?

I think Thermalright makes some decent ones

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

njsykora posted:

Well, LTT is bleeding subscribers and advertising money right now, so who knows how long they can keep that up with their absurdly expensive lab to pay for.

njsykora posted:

Thermalright and Be Quiet! both make low profile coolers, though I'm pretty sure Thermalright's are better. There's also a large, dual-fan low profile cooler from a company called Jiushark that's supposed to be pretty good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at AMD news breaking and LTT can't make videos about it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

grack posted:

Well, LTT is bleeding subscribers and advertising money right now, so who knows how long they can keep that up with their absurdly expensive lab to pay for.

Are they? They're only down 200k subs since this began, with a remaining subscriber base of 15.4 million. That's not fatal bleeding, that's an ouchie at best, perhaps only a boo boo.

I haven't heard anything about advertisers loving off beyond that one company that said something like "yeah this is weird we need to see what they do and will reevaluate in the future." From what I recall it was pretty standard exec speak for when someone starts @'ing you on twitter about how you're advertising with a monster.

Note that this is just Youtube, I have no idea wtf is going on in their private video streaming setup.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

njsykora posted:

ID-Cooling has made some real gains in that market and have models in tons of height / overhang configurations to suit various SFF restrictions

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are they? They're only down 200k subs since this began, with a remaining subscriber base of 15.4 million. That's not fatal bleeding, that's an ouchie at best, perhaps only a boo boo.

Subscriber counts don't directly drive revenue - views and impressions do. The only good way to determine if this was a deep cut is to watch their viewing trends over the next 2-3 months and compare to the months pre-footgun. Obviously they're going to surge in the short term when they start re-uploading because everybody wants to see how they handle themselves, but the sustained trend is more important because they've got some big bills to pay over the long run to keep their Labs idea afloat.

e: Another thing to keep in mind is subscribing to a channel is a one-time thing, so accrued sub counts are largely passive and accrued over time while unsub rates are an actual active measure of short-term sentiment.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 25, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cenodoxus posted:

Subscriber counts don't directly drive revenue - views and impressions do. The only good way to determine if this was a deep cut is to watch their viewing trends over the next 2-3 months and compare to the months pre-footgun. Obviously they're going to surge in the short term when they start re-uploading because everybody wants to see how they handle themselves, but the sustained trend is more important because they've got some big bills to pay over the long run to keep their Labs idea afloat.

e: Another thing to keep in mind is subscribing to a channel is a one-time thing, so accrued sub counts are largely passive and accrued over time while unsub rates are an actual active measure of short-term sentiment.

Honestly I don't think it will matter at all, either way. Yeah, individual videos will see a bump. Their weird apology video got 5M views. But the sort of person who is idly clicking this: (the video right before the 5M hit apology video)

That person likely doesn't give a gently caress. poo poo, they're likely not aware of the drama at all. Page through his videos and it's wall to wall clickbait titles (It's getting really hard to hate Apple! Extra monitors DO hurt your gaming performance! I watercooled my bed - genius or insanity?) with youtuber face thumbnails.

I think people in general, and people ITT in particular, really over-estimate just how dialed in the average LTT viewer is to this kind of thing. His core audience is a 16 year old kid who is putting together a gaming desktop and is googling guides, then gets sucked into the clickbait. Maybe they're aware of it now because of the stop in production, but I'd be amazed if most of his casual viewers cared beyond "oh hey drama stopped that thing I watch on occasion."

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I haven't heard anything about advertisers loving off beyond that one company that said something like "yeah this is weird we need to see what they do and will reevaluate in the future." From what I recall it was pretty standard exec speak for when someone starts @'ing you on twitter about how you're advertising with a monster.

Note that this is just Youtube, I have no idea wtf is going on in their private video streaming setup.

Floatplane may be a better indicator, their subscriber count is barely above 35k at this point, which is down about 800 since I last looked two days ago at most.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Floatplane lost something like 6000 subscribers and that's 5 bucks a pop per month. Not great, not terrible.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think people in general, and people ITT in particular, really over-estimate just how dialed in the average LTT viewer is to this kind of thing. His core audience is a 16 year old kid who is putting together a gaming desktop and is googling guides, then gets sucked into the clickbait. Maybe they're aware of it now because of the stop in production, but I'd be amazed if most of his casual viewers cared beyond "oh hey drama stopped that thing I watch on occasion."

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that many people simply do not care about a lot of the issues, and they'll continue to watch LTT for the same clown-shoes poo poo they're well-known for. But the big pivot that LMG is trying to make to get into the serious methodical data-driven trustworthy review space is in jeopardy, and given that it's where they have invested a lot of money lately, I believe they're in for much bigger issues than just a minor drop in viewership. That could be the smallest domino. Whether they keep up their investment into Labs depends on them being able to finance it through the entertainment channels.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Cenodoxus posted:

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that many people simply do not care about a lot of the issues, and they'll continue to watch LTT for the same clown-shoes poo poo they're well-known for. But the big pivot that LMG is trying to make to get into the serious methodical data-driven trustworthy review space is in jeopardy, and given that it's where they have invested a lot of money lately, I believe they're in for much bigger issues than just a minor drop in viewership. That could be the smallest domino. Whether they keep up their investment into Labs depends on them being able to finance it through the entertainment channels.

I think this is a very important point that shouldn't be overlooked, in terms of whether or not LMG losing subscribers is going to hurt them in the long run. They have a core audience that will never abandon them no matter what, but at some point if all you have are the diehards, you're not growing, you're stagnating. And those labs likely cost too much money for Linus to be able to keep paying all the bills by only keeping the subscribers and diehards his channels currently have.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

watho posted:

i watched the gamers nexus video and it dawned on me that the grossly misleading LTT cpu cooler video definitely influenced my decision to go with a noctua when i got a new cpu and cooler a couple of months ago. i did ask some other people who vouched for it and my thermals are perfectly fine but still

Eh, I did the same with their review of the LG 38" Ultrawide a few years back. Since then I've bought four more of the loving things because they really are that good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

They've lost nearly 7000 Floatplane subscribers so far. That's ~21k in monthly revenue

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Very importantly, Floatplane also exists as a separate business unit that is entirely self sustaining.

Or was planned to be, anyway. This doesn't mean they shut down the Floatplane project in a month but it does mean that the stress there is magnified, and/or they start reaching across into other business units to sustain their funding.

Not even going to begin to try and guess how poorly the entire thing is constructed but that could be bad? Illegal? Who knows!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

grack posted:

They've lost nearly 7000 Floatplane subscribers so far. That's ~21k in monthly revenue

About 17% of their diehard fans in about a week and a half. Even with everyone at the lowest $5 tier that's about 35k per month. My guess is there are a fair number like me who haven't canceled yet to see Linus do something really stupid.
Yeah, there are diehards who are going to stay, but a lot of his base is already gone. Last week was a hell of a one-two punch.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

grack posted:

~$21k/ month USD minimum, if they were grandfathered in. If we figure it's probably more like $5-10/month per lost sub, that's more like $35k-70k/month, USD. At LMG writer wages ($55-60K/year CAD,) that's up to 10ish employees wages in revenue. That's obviously a high end estimate, but yeah, it's a kick in the teeth.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 25, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Apparently I suck at math this morning. I'm blaming the wildfire smoke.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
I've been wondering how much merch sales have changed. I don't think numbers for those have ever been public, but that's clearly a big chunk of revenue given how much emphasis they put on it. I feel like the kind of people who were into LTT enough to subscribe to Floatplane were also the type to buy clothing and screwdrivers and the like, and they've clearly been losing that audience.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dogwood Fleet posted:

About 17% of their diehard fans in about a week and a half. Even with everyone at the lowest $5 tier that's about 35k per month. My guess is there are a fair number like me who haven't canceled yet to see Linus do something really stupid.
Yeah, there are diehards who are going to stay, but a lot of his base is already gone. Last week was a hell of a one-two punch.

He already did, he went on his forum and spread more lies.

He lied about gamers nexus calling it a sale.

He lied about already having a hold of billet labs before steve put out his piece.

The trust is dead for me, he needs to step down and retire or admit he intentionally lied multiple times.

I would feel differently if that post did not exist, but it does.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

lol you're a floatplane subscriber?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Isnt a lot of their revenue and why they have so many employees is from doing commercial work (commercials etc)

Wonder if that took a hit too.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol you're a floatplane subscriber?

Yes, but do I really deserve to be mocked for it? Yes, relentlessly.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

just cancel it, it'll get mirrored, don't give money to sex pests cmon

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And you can then spend that $5 on something less embarassing, like porn.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Yes, but do I really deserve to be mocked for it? Yes, relentlessly.

Whatever floats your plane I guess

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

just cancel it, it'll get mirrored, don't give money to sex pests cmon

I'm not cancelling because it looks like I cancelled a few days ago. I guess that's why all the posts were locked.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Something that just came to mind, how is there not a tier on the Gamers Nexus patreon to get cat photos every month. drat business amateur Steve leaving money on the table.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

Something that just came to mind, how is there not a tier on the Gamers Nexus patreon to get cat photos every month. drat business amateur Steve leaving money on the table.

what do you think the gamersnexus onlyfans is for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm not cancelling because it looks like I cancelled a few days ago. I guess that's why all the posts were locked.

well.

im sorry. i think?