Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“Jerry was a Race Car Driver” was about Nick all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

“I was going to be the bassist for Metallica after Cliff Burton died but they thought I was too good” is a bizarre one because that’s actually what happened to Les Claypool.

See, I thought the story was he was going to be the bassist before Cliff joined the band, making him Ron McGovney but Bad Terry always has had a unique perception of time's unceasing flow like how when he was seven he was a huge fan of Dusty Rhodes tearing it up in Florida, the catch being Dusty would have been about 15 at the time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sting rules. Love the surfer persona.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr Hootington posted:

Sting rules. Love the surfer persona.

Thanks Hulkster for giving Sting the idea from your experiences when you almost co-starred in that one Elvis movie from 1973.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Surfer Sting had such a big kid energy that really connected with young fans. Just this "Hey everyone, I'm a wrestler, isn't that awesome?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Surfer Sting had such a big kid energy that really connected with young fans. Just this "Hey everyone, I'm a wrestler, isn't that awesome?"

For whatever reason aside from Saturday Night's Main Event the only wrestling I knew for a long stretch was JCP/NWA/etc. so after Junkyard Dog my favorite wrestler was Sting who (to me) burst on the scene at the Clash versus Flair and I was a Little Stinger from then on.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yeah he rocks so hard. Clash of champions 1 is being advertised in the shows now. I'm looking forward to the end of March 1988.

Lmao at rock'n'roll express just poofing out of existence in February 1988 ending 3 different fueds and storyline aburtly. Same for all the UWF wrestlers lmao. Dusty rhodes ftw

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the JCP office is absolutely hosed up at this point iirc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

the JCP office is absolutely hosed up at this point iirc.

Yeah you can really tell. About half of the storylines make no sense. The Zbyszko/Rhodes thing was interesting, but Rhodes is inserted into horseman stuff and tag team stuff. He is in too many stories!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah he rocks so hard. Clash of champions 1 is being advertised in the shows now. I'm looking forward to the end of March 1988.

Lmao at rock'n'roll express just poofing out of existence in February 1988 ending 3 different fueds and storyline aburtly. Same for all the UWF wrestlers lmao. Dusty rhodes ftw

Well the RnRs didn't like their spot on the card because at that point they'd been pushed to mid-card and feuding with the Sheepherders and the payoffs for it it sucked, particularly the Bash that year. As mentioned the office was also a horror show so they (I think) negotiated with Vince first but that fell through so they bounced to AWA where Verne 100% did not get them so they don't last long there but do have a brief feud with the (Midnight) Rockers.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah you can really tell. About half of the storylines make no sense. The Zbyszko/Rhodes thing was interesting, but Rhodes is inserted into horseman stuff and tag team stuff. He is in too many stories!

You're starting to hit peak 'Dusty ignoring the fans are fed up with him.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 28, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Well the RnRs didn't like their spot on the card because at that point they'd been pushed to mid-car and feuding with the Sheepherders and the payoffs for it it sucked, particularly the Bash that year. As mentioned the office was also a horror show so they (I think) negotiated with Vince first but that fell through so they bounced to AWA where Verne 100% did not get them so they don't last long there but do have a brief feud with the (Midnight) Rockers.

You're starting to hit peak 'Dusty ignoring the fans are fed up with him.'

The RnRs were right. They were top card talent. The Sheepherder fued would have been better if there had been any build up. It is funny how stacked the tag team talent is at this time.

Yeah I want Dusty to back off. It feels like Lugar and Windham have been sacrificed for Dusty's ego.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I never could stand Dusty and eventually learning about all that made it worse. What a dickhead.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dusty was super burned out as a booker in 88 but wouldn't give it up cause he was afraid others would backstab him.

But given the state of JCP in 88 I'm not sure any booker would of been able to save them

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Tomb of the Unknown Hulkamaniac

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dusty was super burned out as a booker in 88 but wouldn't give it up cause he was afraid others would backstab him.

he was probably right lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But given the state of JCP in 88 I'm not sure any booker would of been able to save them

He wouldn't give up because he was an egotistical dickhead.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I have it on good authority that one hot stuff eddie gilbert couls

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

I have it on good authority that one hot stuff eddie gilbert couls
Would that be one Eddie Gilbert?

MassRafTer posted:

He wouldn't give up because he was an egotistical dickhead.

Yeah that too

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
never give a wrestler the book... unless it would be funny

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Just gonna leave this here. Rest in peace, brother dude jack.
Edit: the horns at the beginning remind me of Earthbound lmao at the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9JfhANM9B0

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

never give a wrestler the book... unless it would be funny
Wonder who had the funniest self booking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

hollywood hogan is one of the greatest heels of all times, jack

I mean, I think most agree he was a great heel? It's just he and the nWo didn't realize, as bad guys, they had to eventaully lose.

I was gonna say Nash proved himself the smartest man in the business by turning face but then he immediately turned heel after becoming World Champion and pissed it al away so I duno what he was thinking.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Numero6 posted:

“If I lose, I will never challenge for the World Title again”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Building on the being sick of Dusty I will say that I am not sick of Ric Flair. The man coming out and having a manic episode after doing a pound of cocaine is incredible ever time.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, I think most agree he was a great heel? It's just he and the nWo didn't realize, as bad guys, they had to eventaully lose.

Hold on, it sounds like you didn't realize that Hollywood had creative control, brother. Even though he basically didn't have to use it, because everyone knew Hollywood was best for business.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

disaster pastor posted:

Hold on, it sounds like you didn't realize that Hollywood had creative control, brother. Even though he basically didn't have to use it, because everyone knew Hollywood was best for business.

Hey now! Bad Terry never used that creative control! He just wielded the threat of it like a club and got what he wanted because people knew he had it. It's different!

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Jonny Nox posted:

If I lose, I will never challenge for the World Title again

lol. lmao

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve never seen Hulk Hogan and Les Claypool in the same place at the same time

My Name is Mud was originally My Name is Wood, brother.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Numero6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Kkn0RuQns

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dawgstar posted:

Hey now! Bad Terry never used that creative control! He just wielded the threat of it like a club and got what he wanted because people knew he had it. It's different!

It's not robbery if you don't shoot your gun!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Somebody a few pages back said dusty turning Heel in '88 would have been a good idea. I agree with this now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

20 years later on Geraldo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I miss Jimmy Valiant. He is gone in '89 and there isn't a goofball wrestler around anymore. Hayes filled the whole, but he is gone too.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But is the water hot, Geraldo?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Somebody a few pages back said dusty turning Heel in '88 would have been a good idea. I agree with this now.

Yeah. Dusty and Murdoch versus Flair and, I dunno, Windham could have made some money.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Dusty and Murdoch versus Flair and, I dunno, Windham could have made some money.

Dusty being turned by Kevin sullivan.. they flirted with the idea of Sullivan turning other baby faces with his "demonic powers" and he tried kidnapping Windham. Could have been interesting if that stable had kept growing and corrupting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

I miss Jimmy Valiant. He is gone in '89 and there isn't a goofball wrestler around anymore. Hayes filled the whole, but he is gone too.
I knew an indie wrestler. He said you could just walk up to Valiant at any time and say "Boogie tell me a story" and it would always be brilliant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Dusty being turned by Kevin sullivan.. they flirted with the idea of Sullivan turning other baby faces with his "demonic powers" and he tried kidnapping Windham. Could have been interesting if that stable had kept growing and corrupting.

This comes to fruition more or less with the Varsity Club, one of my all time favorite gimmicks. Sullivan is basically a satanic sports agent and he's got all these blue chippers and it rules.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I knew an indie wrestler. He said you could just walk up to Valiant at any time and say "Boogie tell me a story" and it would always be brilliant.

I watched a couple podcast interviews with old man Valiant and he did them in character. He rules.

Dawgstar posted:

This comes to fruition more or less with the Varsity Club, one of my all time favorite gimmicks. Sullivan is basically a satanic sports agent and he's got all these blue chippers and it rules.

Yeah the Varsity Club is good. Steiner and Rotunda are hamming it up with the under a spell ot compulsion stuff.

Like stuff is obviously wrong in '88, but there are still good stories here and there.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Every time I go somewhere new I yell "I've never been here before!"