Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

koolkal posted:

Not to get all Tactical but it was a bit silly that she's standing on this gigantic ship that's a good 20x bigger than her and everyone just shoots at her instead of the rest of the ship. Although considering their shots were glancing off the unshielded hull, it doesn't seem like they had the firepower to take down an unmoving ship anyway.

Well, badguys just LOVE shooting at Jedi. :v:

As for the fighters. My excuse would be that they're armed with rapidfire blasters instead of proper anti-ship laser cannons like Xwings or Tie Fighters? Like a WW2 fighter armed with .30 cal machine guns instead of 20mm cannons. I dunno, probably does well enough against other snubfighters, but struggles with larger targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

koolkal posted:

Not to get all Tactical but it was a bit silly that she's standing on this gigantic ship that's a good 20x bigger than her and everyone just shoots at her instead of the rest of the ship. Although considering their shots were glancing off the unshielded hull, it doesn't seem like they had the firepower to take down an unmoving ship anyway.

All ships have shields in Star Wars unless otherwise stated.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Marsupial Ape posted:

I do like the idea that even if everybody can’t wield the Force, going through a Jedi regimen would at least help your general well being a person. Go spend a couple years at a remote Jedi temple to get your head on straight, that kind of thing.

The Jedi Order is funded by franchising out Jedi Wellness Centers.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

This smug motherfucker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Jedi fund the Order by means of an Amway-style pyramid scheme.

Holocron paperweights and such.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gonz posted:

The Jedi fund the Order by means of an Amway-style pyramid scheme.

Holocron paperweights and such.

The Sith had the pyramid market all sown up.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It feels a little too on the nose that this style of training is canonically called "Zatochi" now.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I really liked this episode. Wasn't as baggy as the others, though I did worry in the opening scenes which had Ahsoka standing cross-armed a bit too much but then it settled down to some good as hell Star Warsing.

I don't mind episodes being shorter if they are tightly made, and this episode *looked* expensive as hell. After some of the cheapness of BoBF and Obi-wan, this was a full "all the money is up on the screen" episode with some superb space battle effects. Those fighters were great, and I liked that we didn't get the usual Mando thing where it doesn't matter how many TIEs are chasing that one ship they're all gonna get blasted super easily, there felt an actual sense of threat and challenge much closer to the original 4 TIEs chasing the Falcon in A New Hope.

I guess that's all I want from a good Star War these days, smaller fights that mean more and involve fewer participants.

It's a (war) crime how little we've seen of Chopper so far though. Hurry up and get the band back together.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It still makes me very worried they named the kid JACEN, of all things. Thats not a good name in past Star Wars stuff.

Luke

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They're talking about Jacen Solo in the Legends EU.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

wasn't she friends with a blind guy

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

30 minute run time’s are probably here to stay and it’s going to get worse from here on out. Streaming services are going through an identity crisis, the arms race for studios to get new originals out there is over and there’s a backlash happening. Whole shows that are wrapped and completed aren’t even making it to release. Then throw in the badly needed strikes and poo poo is going to be bad the next 2 years. There needs to be an equilibrium reached but I don’t think it happens till the strikes conclude.

Here’s an article:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/aug/29/the-great-cancellation-why-megabucks-tv-shows-are-vanishing-without-a-trace

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

exmarx posted:

wasn't she friends with a blind guy

He could use the Force to help him adapt, that's kind of the point, she's worried that she CAN'T do what he could.

Nameless Pete posted:

This smug motherfucker.

God I would love so much if she closed her eyes during this scene, heard the mug shatter on the floor and got all excited only to discover her cat - which they better have brought onboard with them rather than abandon in that communications tower :argh: - had whapped it off the side of the table.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

30 minute run time’s are probably here to stay and it’s going to get worse from here on out. Streaming services are going through an identity crisis, the arms race for studios to get new originals out there is over and there’s a backlash happening. Whole shows that are wrapped and completed aren’t even making it to release. Then throw in the badly needed strikes and poo poo is going to be bad the next 2 years. There needs to be an equilibrium reached but I don’t think it happens till the strikes conclude.

Here’s an article:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/aug/29/the-great-cancellation-why-megabucks-tv-shows-are-vanishing-without-a-trace

Episode 5 is suppose to have the longest run time of any Star Wars TV show, ever. Clocking in at about 50 minutes apparently. It's probably gonna be when we first get to see Thrawn or have some kind of huge confrontation. It's also the next episode that Dave Filoni directed.

Great episode though. My only complaint was that it was too short.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Why did they write a ~30 year old veteran partisan of a galactic civil war have the exact same reactions to Jedi training as a precocious pre-teen?

e: And loving don't pretend that Ahsoka hasn't blindfolded Sabine before.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 30, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Episode 5 is suppose to have the longest run time of any Star Wars TV show, ever. Clocking in at about 50 minutes apparently. It's probably gonna be when we first get to see Thrawn or have some kind of huge confrontation. It's also the next episode that Dave Filoni directed.

Great episode though. My only complaint was that it was too short.

It’s maddening to see the inconsistency in these run times.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why did they write a ~30 year old veteran partisan of a galactic civil war have the exact same reactions to Jedi training as a precocious pre-teen?

e: And loving don't pretend that Ahsoka hasn't blindfolded Sabine before.

I'm nearly 50 and i hate being told what to do

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Never seen much of the animated shows, but is Ahsoka always this detached and vaguely smug? I thought her whole deal is that she isn't a Jedi so why is she doing the whole emotionless robot thing?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Necrothatcher posted:

Never seen much of the animated shows, but is Ahsoka always this detached and vaguely smug? I thought her whole deal is that she isn't a Jedi so why is she doing the whole emotionless robot thing?

No, she's kind of a compassionate git

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nameless Pete posted:

This smug motherfucker.

coming to the disney store

$35.99 + tax and shipping

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

I really liked this episode. Wasn't as baggy as the others, though I did worry in the opening scenes which had Ahsoka standing cross-armed a bit too much but then it settled down to some good as hell Star Warsing.

I don't mind episodes being shorter if they are tightly made, and this episode *looked* expensive as hell. After some of the cheapness of BoBF and Obi-wan, this was a full "all the money is up on the screen" episode with some superb space battle effects. Those fighters were great, and I liked that we didn't get the usual Mando thing where it doesn't matter how many TIEs are chasing that one ship they're all gonna get blasted super easily, there felt an actual sense of threat and challenge much closer to the original 4 TIEs chasing the Falcon in A New Hope.

I guess that's all I want from a good Star War these days, smaller fights that mean more and involve fewer participants.

It's a (war) crime how little we've seen of Chopper so far though. Hurry up and get the band back together.

Bring back Zeb too while you’re at it

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Larryb posted:

Bring back Zeb too while you’re at it

There's no way they modelled and rigged up his live action CGI for a single scene in the last season of Mando. He's coming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no way they modelled and rigged up his live action CGI for a single scene in the last season of Mando. He's coming.

Tbf, I assumed that was all for the dead Rangers show, and what we got was the backdoor pilot showing their sets/cast/etc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
man imagine being on that Rangers show and thinking what a cushy gig that would be until she ran her mouth lol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tbf, I assumed that was all for the dead Rangers show, and what we got was the backdoor pilot showing their sets/cast/etc.

Maybe. I don't think Rangers ever got far enough along to build sets, let alone rig a CGI character but I might be wrong.

Wasn't there rumors that Rangers was being retooled with Olyphant as the main character? What an upgrade that would of been! Either way I assume that after the current batch of already made Disney + Star Wars is dead/severely cut back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe. I don't think Rangers ever got far enough along to build sets, let alone rig a CGI character but I might be wrong.

Wasn't there rumors that Rangers was being retooled with Olyphant as the main character? What an upgrade that would of been! Either way I assume that after the current batch of already made Disney + Star Wars is dead/severely cut back.

The reason I got the vibe of "backdoor pilot" was it felt very complete to me. They had their own musical sting, a fairly complete standalone set (the Cantina interior and external base) and Zeb as a character was a bit much for a one-off cameo. He could well pop up in Ahsoka as you say, but the way the shows have lead-time felt more like it was more a preview/jumping-in point to Rangers.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I remain entertained by this show. The space P-47s were cool.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
My predictions for Ep4 and Ep5 are that in Ep4 we'll see exploration of the planet and an eventual conflict between all the force users there, then end on an escape and travel to the hyperring to try and stop that 6th drive from being put into place.

Then in Ep5 we'll get a conflict on the ring, they can't shut it down in time and in comes Thrawn and possibly a fleet.

Should be a great next couple of episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Are The Acolyte and/or Skeleton Crew still happening?

Aside from that the only other things left on the docket at the moment (as far as I remember) are the final seasons of Andor and Bad Batch (though the former has been delayed by the strike and the latter won’t be until next year) and another round of Tales of the Jedi episodes at some point. I believe that Lando show with Donald Glover is still happening as well

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Larryb posted:

Are The Acolyte and/or Skeleton Crew still happening?

Aside from that the only other things left on the docket at the moment (as far as I remember) are the final seasons of Andor and Bad Batch (though the former has been delayed by the strike and the latter won’t be until next year) and another round of Tales of the Jedi episodes at some point. I believe that Lando show with Donald Glover is still happening as well

Yep. The Acolyte and Skeleton Crew are filmed and presumedly fairly far along in post production.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CubanMissile posted:

It’s ok Sabine, I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to force pull cups that are out of my reach my whole life too. :(

All I could picture was Silent Bob doing the same.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. The Acolyte and Skeleton Crew are filmed and presumedly fairly far along in post production.

That hasn’t stopped Disney from pulling completed but unaired shows so far. But I think Star Wars material gets tons more eyeballs than the other comparatively similarity budgeted but pulled shows would. And even then, it seems like the “canceled” completed series are getting shopped around elsewhere. Dumb fake Hollywood accounting.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-spiderwick-chronicles-canceled-disney-plus-cost-cutting-shopped-paramount-1235528689/

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Shows and films are definitely pulled all the time, even after they are all but done.

And this strike is monumental in that it'll likely last until next 2024 due to the timing of it all. You basically don't shot around the holiday seasons so why not just push until next year anyway? With that you see, and already have seen, massive delays. That pushes back every single production on the slate and even cancels them. You discover a lot when you are basically 6 months behind schedule on every single thing. Some shows are good, some are bad and not worth it, post production costs and marketing can really add up so a lot of productions just take the tax breaks and move on.

I shot something in early 2021 that still hasn't come out, and while it's been shown at Tribeca and has many A-list actors, including a recent Oscar winner, i'm still questioning if it will come out. It ran on a shoe-string budget and when they look at marketing costs they might decide to just shelve it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jerusalem posted:

Not a huge fan of the casual reveal that there used to be shipping lanes to entire other galaxies and it was just a casual thing? You'd think being cut off from whole other galaxies they used to have access to would have been some cause for concern for both the Old Republic and the Empire both. Is this show where we discover that the Star Wars Galaxy was the Universal equivalent of North Korea?

I don't think it's a shipping lane, and it's sort of implied they need to make some super-special-awesome hyperspace ring that uses seven (7) SSD hyperdrive cores to get to so it's not like anyship we've seen previously could have possibly used it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nameless Pete posted:

This smug motherfucker.

Even this guy got a smug reaction shot. I am so mad about it

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Ring ship is cool and good, I like the design a lot, and the shot of it appearing over the orbital horizon was great.

Space fighter weapon sound design was underwhelming. Their lasers sounded wimpy, and with the lack of any visual damage on Ahsoka's ship, the scene ran out of urgency real fast, IMO. Like there was just a sense that the fighters were literally incapable of shooting her down.

Shooting at the jedi instead of the unshielded, crippled ship around her was really dumb.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think it's a shipping lane, and it's sort of implied they need to make some super-special-awesome hyperspace ring that uses seven (7) SSD hyperdrive cores to get to so it's not like anyship we've seen previously could have possibly used it.

I'm kind of curious now, if the whales just travel the lanes slowly or if they have some unknown biological trait that lets them equal or match seven SSD hyperdrives. Has Thrawn been in this other galaxy for years or did he just get there?

Vernii posted:

Space fighter weapon sound design was underwhelming. Their lasers sounded wimpy, and with the lack of any visual damage on Ahsoka's ship, the scene ran out of urgency real fast, IMO. Like there was just a sense that the fighters were literally incapable of shooting her down.

My beef was that when they finally took her out, instead of exploding like every other ship it just had minor damage and could easily be fixed while in combat. I know the characters have plot armor but that's what ruined the battle for me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I did like that the Sith/Inquisitor ships were casually waiting at a distance from the planet - exactly where Jedi procedure stated was the best place to drop out of hyperspace.

Big Daddy is definitely ex-Jedi.

Vinylshadow posted:

Hello Hamato Xiono, did not expect to see you again

Once a jerk, always a jerk.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CornHolio posted:

I'm kind of curious now, if the whales just travel the lanes slowly or if they have some unknown biological trait that lets them equal or match seven SSD hyperdrives. Has Thrawn been in this other galaxy for years or did he just get there?

He's not even there, he's just like 30 miles out from Lothal as the whales take their sweet rear end time.

quote:

My beef was that when they finally took her out, instead of exploding like every other ship it just had minor damage and could easily be fixed while in combat. I know the characters have plot armor but that's what ruined the battle for me.
Like the show ends with them crash-landing on the planet anyways. Why bother having them dead in space, just have them crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Nameless Pete posted:

This smug motherfucker.

Can't spell smug without mug.