Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Are they really doing Celebrity Jeopardy without any actors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

That latter part is confirmed, because she's on strike and he isn't. They're using material for Celebrity J! that was written before the writer's strike.

I wouldn't be surprised if this strike ends up getting Mayim pushed out permanently over Ken. He did the majority of the hosting during the season, including the last couple of weeks. People are just used to having him and almost exclusively him on their TVs now.

That would be a wonderful silver lining to all of this, and we could all move on and pretend the last couple years were a fever dream (except for Amy).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HookShot posted:

That latter part is confirmed, because she's on strike and he isn't. They're using material for Celebrity J! that was written before the writer's strike.

I wouldn't be surprised if this strike ends up getting Mayim pushed out permanently over Ken. He did the majority of the hosting during the season, including the last couple of weeks. People are just used to having him and almost exclusively him on their TVs now.

Gotcha. I had forgotten that she was on strike.

Also: I had forgotten about Andrew He saying that he used a chatbot to study for Jeopardy. Andrew, you're a good player but I don't know what it is about Silicon Valley types who think that A.I is the font of all knowledge. It's really weird.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Game shows are A-OK for actors to appear on during the strikes. Info is here:
https://www.sagaftrastrike.org/interim-agreement

Since those questions were written pre-strike, they shouldn't have qualms being on the show.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Real monkey’s paw moment imo if the thing that gets her pushed out is retaliation for acting in solidarity with writers.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

christmas boots posted:

Real monkey’s paw moment imo if the thing that gets her pushed out is retaliation for acting in solidarity with writers.

Not so much retaliation as the boomers in charge realizing their fantasy that the audience actively wants Mayim over Ken is a delusion, that most fans don't give a poo poo but the hardcore fans (and the contestants) want Ken. Really all that was needed was any reason for her to take a more extended hiatus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Call me Kat(nceled)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely there are focus groups telling them how much she sucks?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

Surely there are focus groups telling them how much she sucks?

I took my mom to a taping earlier this year and everyone in the audience was openly disappointed when we found out we’d have Mayim instead of Ken. I’m talking like, audible sighs moving through the line as the information trickled back lol

So yeah there’s no way they don’t know that the fans have a clear favorite.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh god I just shuddered at the thought of online "celebrities" being called up if all the actors refused to join and they needed ANYONE to fill the slots

"A freelancer specializing in NFTs and cryptocurrencies whose net worth has ranged from $30 million to 30 cents - Jaxon 'SlurpinMahJuice' McIntyre"

"An animator whose popular Skibidi Toilet videos have amassed billions of views - Alexey 'DaFuq!?Boom!' Gerasimov"

"And finally, a content creator who speaks in a sickening baby voice and has 73 million YouTube subscribers - Jessica 'BabyPoopyScreamz' Carlile"

Horrifyingly, one of these is real

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Now jontron, the producers tell me you have had some unique experiences when you tell people your thoughts on racial hygiene.”

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

bucksmash posted:

Oh god I just shuddered at the thought of online "celebrities" being called up if all the actors refused to join and they needed ANYONE to fill the slots

"A freelancer specializing in NFTs and cryptocurrencies whose net worth has ranged from $30 million to 30 cents - Jaxon 'SlurpinMahJuice' McIntyre"

"An animator whose popular Skibidi Toilet videos have amassed billions of views - Alexey 'DaFuq!?Boom!' Gerasimov"

"And finally, a content creator who speaks in a sickening baby voice and has 73 million YouTube subscribers - Jessica 'BabyPoopyScreamz' Carlile"

Horrifyingly, one of these is real

I regret reading this post. I honestly can't decide which of those would be the best or worst one to be real.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I regret reading this post. I honestly can't decide which of those would be the best or worst one to be real.

I legitimately don't know the real one but given they already had a cryptobro on regular Jeopardy, I'll go with poopy screams since I can't see Disney allowing dafuq on airwaves

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

If you really want to know:

What is Skibidi Toilet by DaFuq!?Boom!?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I believe that all of those are real and you cannot convince me otherwise

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Even if the actors refuse to go on under the guise that they're strike breaking (which they wouldn't be), there are plenty of people nominally considered celebrities who could work:

ESPN people (corporate synergy)
Podcasters
Musicians
Broadway people (Actor's Equity isn't S-A)
Reality show people, they could probably fill a tournament by themselves

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's always Wolf Blitzer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PSA: The Season 37 Second Chance tournament begins today.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i (season 36 loser) DM'd davies on instagram to campaign for myself if they do that but i also told him i wouldn't cross a picket line so i can't imagine that plays well

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
imo they should exclusively bring back contestants who lost in 1 game in season 31 to guys who ended up in the tournament of champions

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
First two weeks are up for Celebrity Jeopardy [TV show they are/were on noted here]

September 27th: Mark Duplass [The League], Emily Hampshire [Schitt's Creek] and Utkarsh Ambudkar [US Ghosts]
October 4th: Brian Baumgartner [US The Office], Lisa Ann Walter [Abbott Elementary] and Timothy Simons [Veep]

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
David’s double jeopardy wagering had me yelling at my TV. Why bother if your not playing to win?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

davecrazy posted:

David’s double jeopardy wagering had me yelling at my TV. Why bother if your not playing to win?

Lol my husband and I had the exact same reaction. Utterly baffling

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Edit: CLAIMED

If anybody would like a LearnedLeague referral, holler my way. I am probably not going to renew after this season myself, though.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 27, 2023

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Poque posted:

Edit: CLAIMED

If anybody would like a LearnedLeague referral, holler my way. I am probably not going to renew after this season myself, though.

I'd be interested in one if anyone had a referral to give, feel free to PM me if you do

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Island Nation posted:

I'd be interested in one if anyone had a referral to give, feel free to PM me if you do

PM sent

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Celebrity Jeopardy is off to a pretty bad start, but in a funny way.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Please tell me Mark Duplass ate poo poo. That guy sucks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WarEternal posted:

Please tell me Mark Duplass ate poo poo. That guy sucks.

He did not win, but came in second.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Any particular reason he sucks or just a personal dislike kinda thing?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
10/11 Celebrity Jeopardy

Christopher Meloni (Law & Order: Organized Crime)
Katie Nolan (Ex ESPN/Fox Sports personality)
Sherri Shepard (Talk show host)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I like the new format for Celebrity Jeopardy where they show a split screen of the board (with category highlighting) and the contestants' faces. I hope they keep that.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Island Nation posted:

Sherri Shepard (Talk show host)

Wikipedia posted:

Shepherd was criticized after one 2007 broadcast of The View.[15] The show was often filmed "live", with little or no editing. She stated she did not "believe in evolution. Period." Co-host Whoopi Goldberg asked her, "Is the world flat?" Shepherd responded, "I don't know," and expanded that she "never thought about it".[16] Shepherd later referred to her statement as a "brain fart" brought on by nerves. Barbara Walters and Shepherd talked after that episode: Walters said, "Dear, the Earth is round", and Shepherd responded with: "Barbara, I know that!"[17][18]

Similar criticism erupted after the December 4, 2007, broadcast of The View when, during a discussion initiated by Joy Behar about Epicurus, Shepherd attempted to assert that Christians existed in classical Greece, and that the Greeks threw them to the lions. When confronted on this point, she further claimed that "Jesus came first" (before Greeks and Romans) and stated, "I don't think anything predated Christians", to which Behar responded: "The Jews."[19]

Shepherd garnered criticism after admitting to never voting partly due to her upbringing as a strict Jehovah's Witness. She was quoted as saying that she just "never knew the dates or anything"; she stated, "I've never voted for anything in my life."[20] In January 2008, Sherri referred to Gospel singer Shirley Caesar as "the black Patti LaBelle." LaBelle, like Caesar, is black.[21]
Should be interesting.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Should be interesting.

Is the O/U line for her Emily's score? Or Wolf's?

Also, does SAG-AFTRA really count as a charity?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Maybe it's for the strike fund?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Sherri Sheppard is really funny as a comedian. She's great in 30 Rock and Trial & Error but god drat is she dumb as a pile of rocks. I can't believe she's going to be on Jeopardy!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FrumpleOrz posted:

Sherri Sheppard is really funny as a comedian. She's great in 30 Rock and Trial & Error but god drat is she dumb as a pile of rocks. I can't believe she's going to be on Jeopardy!

People do like the way she says "ham."

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
calling myself the white ken jennings

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Maybe it's for the strike fund?

It's for the emergency fund, which comes into play when union members suddenly lose their home in a fire, or have staggering unexpected medical expenses, things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Amy Schneider's memoir is out today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/03/books/review/amy-schneider-in-the-form-of-a-question.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/books/2023/10/03/amy-schneider-jeopardy-interview-transgender-community-memoir/70998226007/

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/30/1202828664/-jeopardy-champion-amy-schneider-on-her-new-memoir-and-what-it-takes-to-win