Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Internet Janitor posted:

decker 1.26 is out:

happy now, Zamujasa?

yes, though i'll admit that i'm very easily amused by the "e" in decker spinning around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

been working on this, a slow movie player based on an rpi 3 and a pimoroni inky hat e-ink screen. the software is just a GitHub pull but I did design the frame in blender and had a coworker print it for me, took an iteration to get the tolerances right but I like the way it fits even if it doesn’t look like much

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i feel like having a tiny computer with an e-ink screen (and maybe a backlight) would make for a really dank dynamic display. throw a clock and some weather poo poo on it or whatever

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

i feel like having a tiny computer with an e-ink screen (and maybe a backlight) would make for a really dank dynamic display. throw a clock and some weather poo poo on it or whatever

there are a ton of projects like that you can find around the web if you’re interested. You can even get raspberry’s pi again finally. I just wanted to do a cheap poc before I spend $400 on a 13” e-ink screen for this projects final form

also just realized how crazy that sounds when you can get like a 42” tv for that price lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yeah, im just an idiot with no real knowledge about that sort of thing (yet), so it's fun to think of the possibilities

like to really do anything with it you'd need software on top of that, and :suicide:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i posted this in the ergonomics thread (the mononcqc-posts-about-papers-and-we-sit-in-the-peanut-gallery thread) but might be worth posting here. i cut a prealpha of my planned economy dealio

https://github.com/howonlee/mertonon

its a budget but instead of you writing down what to spend, you write down the political situation in your org and the neural net tells you what to spend. noncapitalist module coming

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
my laser squad/xcom clone is coming along, its finally at the point where I basically have to play whole campaigns to make sure it's all balanced. I've also redone the graphics about a billion times but finally settled on an 8x8 tileset which is consistent but perhaps a bit busy

Recruit Sloan finds a vault in the swamp...I still need to add tons of 'props' for map decoration

Squaddie McCoy guards the door while Recruit Sloan searches the toilets for loot

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

toiletbrush posted:

my laser squad/xcom clone is coming along, its finally at the point where I basically have to play whole campaigns to make sure it's all balanced. I've also redone the graphics about a billion times but finally settled on an 8x8 tileset which is consistent but perhaps a bit busy

Recruit Sloan finds a vault in the swamp...I still need to add tons of 'props' for map decoration

Squaddie McCoy guards the door while Recruit Sloan searches the toilets for loot

this looks really cute, do you have a beta or somesuch linked somewhere?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

toiletbrush posted:

holy poo poo this is loving rad

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

i learned about huffman compression so i can hack the text of the shadowrun snes rom. maybe i’ll do more later but for now it’s a small win that i can find the compressed text and actually change it

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

quiggy posted:

holy poo poo this is loving rad
thanks!

Armitag3 posted:

this looks really cute, do you have a beta or somesuch linked somewhere?
yeah, it's an iOS game but I'm hoping to give out some TestFlight links if/when it feels ready!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is not recent but I can't remember if I ever talked about the rover game I started making

the vehicle here has some legs that effectively are spring loaded (so they bounce around) and the legs hold some balls, and the way I make the rover move in the context of the physics model isn't by driving the vehicle mesh but by applying rotational force on the wheels, and to go forward all the wheels get rototional force going fowards. to turn it applies inverted force to half the wheels to turn a bit like a tank does. and the implication is that you're driving the wheels and the vehicle comes for a ride. I made it so it could jump lol by setting the default angle of the legs really high and then change it to down low so it'd leap like a bug. you can see it working at the end of the second video

of course I gave up on it. but I saw it today while looking for something else and thought man that wasn't super poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKCP08e44b4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlTVursmcZs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

the legs hold some balls

:hmmyes:

the physics/movement looks nice. is it supposed to look like a toilet seat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I can’t model for poo poo and that’s what I ended up making. never thought about it like that before tho lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I really wanted a way to find and download windows updates that didn't involve parsing html from the Microsoft update catalog so I spent some spare time on and off over the past few weeks writing this:

https://github.com/xxbiohazrdxx/MSUpdateAPI

now I can fully automate injecting updates into my deployment images for vdi

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hey ij you should prolly kramer into hillel waynes email or something and shill decker to him cuz he's been complaining in his newsletter about how theres no such thing as a programmable slide deck anymore and you got the counterexample lying around

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
assuming you're referring this post https://buttondown.email/hillelwayne/archive/my-painful-futile-quest-for-programmable/,

it sounds like what he wants is somewhat different from decker; his main emphasis seems to be animation, rather than interactivity. decker does make some kinds of animation easy, but it also has strong aesthetic constraints and is raster-oriented rather than vector-oriented

what decker would be quite good for (in my opinion) in a presentation is providing "manipulatives"; show a little model of something and allow the presenter to push buttons and tweak sliders and demonstrate results live without leaving the presentation tool

if you still think he'd be interested i suppose i could write him an email

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i didnt actually read the email, i looked at the email title and said to myself, "hey ij has that post-hypercard dealio"

anyways the guys schtick is a lotta weenie touchin so who knows

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lotta weenie touchin

maybe he’s more interested in Docker then

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

maybe he’s more interested in Docker then

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Internet Janitor posted:

assuming you're referring this post https://buttondown.email/hillelwayne/archive/my-painful-futile-quest-for-programmable/,

it sounds like what he wants is somewhat different from decker; his main emphasis seems to be animation, rather than interactivity.

to me it sounds like he wants an equivalent to VideoWorks Director ShockWave Flash rather than HyperCard

IMO you should still ping him because he’ll probably love Decker on its terms

eschaton fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 29, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
have time to do more of this fancy stuff now

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

I really wanted a way to find and download windows updates that didn't involve parsing html from the Microsoft update catalog so I spent some spare time on and off over the past few weeks writing this:

https://github.com/xxbiohazrdxx/MSUpdateAPI

now I can fully automate injecting updates into my deployment images for vdi

lol that username

neat!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Armitag3 posted:

maybe he’s more interested in Grindr then

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

this is not recent but I can't remember if I ever talked about the rover game I started making

the vehicle here has some legs that effectively are spring loaded (so they bounce around) and the legs hold some balls, and the way I make the rover move in the context of the physics model isn't by driving the vehicle mesh but by applying rotational force on the wheels, and to go forward all the wheels get rototional force going fowards. to turn it applies inverted force to half the wheels to turn a bit like a tank does. and the implication is that you're driving the wheels and the vehicle comes for a ride. I made it so it could jump lol by setting the default angle of the legs really high and then change it to down low so it'd leap like a bug. you can see it working at the end of the second video

of course I gave up on it. but I saw it today while looking for something else and thought man that wasn't super poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKCP08e44b4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlTVursmcZs
this looks gorgeous and you should deffo carry on with it

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Jenny Agutter posted:

been working on this, a slow movie player based on an rpi 3 and a pimoroni inky hat e-ink screen. the software is just a GitHub pull but I did design the frame in blender and had a coworker print it for me, took an iteration to get the tolerances right but I like the way it fits even if it doesn’t look like much
haven't heard about this before, it's a neat weird concept. makes me wonder how far you'd have to downgrade the cpu in order to run flat out at that kind of speed

also reminds me of a question I look up every once in a while without success: are there any less-than-image e-ink displays? 7-segment, 16-character, bar graph, individual elements?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

have time to do more of this fancy stuff now

that’s very fancy!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

this looks gorgeous and you should deffo carry on with it

thankyou

realistically I don’t think I’ll ever finish anything unless I work with someone else, which I am hesitant to do because what if they suggest an idea that sucks?? I can’t stand up for myself so I’d just go along with it and

anyway I’ve been mucking around in unreal engine again. I do love it when I am inspired. I’m trying to make some kind of auto generating tree thing. not to look good but more from a behaviour point of view. I was inspired by some videos about wave function collapse (not the physics thing) but that was too difficult so I am going in another direction. but I wanna wait until I have something before I share it. but I really love using it

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Captain Cool posted:

haven't heard about this before, it's a neat weird concept. makes me wonder how far you'd have to downgrade the cpu in order to run flat out at that kind of speed

also reminds me of a question I look up every once in a while without success: are there any less-than-image e-ink displays? 7-segment, 16-character, bar graph, individual elements?

I was confused as to why this would be hard to find, surely this exists right?

I googled "7 segment e ink" and, this was the second result https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/7-segment-epaper-display.html

genuinely curious to know what words you were putting into Google every once in a while to come up with nothing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ComradePyro posted:

I was confused as to why this would be hard to find, surely this exists right?

I googled "7 segment e ink" and, this was the second result https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/7-segment-epaper-display.html

genuinely curious to know what words you were putting into Google every once in a while to come up with nothing

which of the things on that page is a 7-segment e-ink display?

you know, as opposed to the 7-segment led displays and the e-ink displays that are not 7-segments

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
oh my bad, here's the first result https://www.ynvisible.com/product/single-digit-display-pack-of-3

I picked the second result over the first cuz it was alibaba and didn't bother checking that it had the thing itself, very weird that it doesn't. maybe LEDs are so efficient that it's mostly pointless to use e-ink? idk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i won’t lie e ink rules

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

ComradePyro posted:

oh my bad, here's the first result https://www.ynvisible.com/product/single-digit-display-pack-of-3

I picked the second result over the first cuz it was alibaba and didn't bother checking that it had the thing itself, very weird that it doesn't. maybe LEDs are so efficient that it's mostly pointless to use e-ink? idk
that is cool. maybe it's been a few years. looks like they fade in an hour or two, electrochromic vs electrophoretic technology

lcd displays can be super efficient, think about a solar calculator that can run on half a square inch of indoor lighting

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

or digital watches that can run for like a decade on a single coin cell. lcds can be crazy low power.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

found this on an old stack exchange answer. sounds like they’re about as low power as lcd displays are.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/e-ink-corporation/SCB721001/6007723

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

idk how they make the e-ink displays, but another nice feature of the lcd displays is they’re pretty customizable. you can get custom ones without much issue since it’s just printing some poo poo on glass or whatever. since they’re also daylight readable, cheaper, well-known, and low enough power for pretty much any usage there’s probably not much of a market for e-ink stuff.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think eink is that much more complex (well, not complex enough that it can't be done in odd shapes and sizes anyway), just under a bunch of patents to it is not getting a lot of general use. iirc the key patents expire end of next year though, so thinks may change quick.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
eink is very simple, i suspect it's actually easier to customize to weird sizes than lcd

e-ink has some upsides relative to lcd (near zero power for static images, perfect off-axis contrast, better in direct daylight) but it also has some huge downsides (super slow refresh rate, hard to do color, can't do backlighting so only useful with ambient light)

so aside from any patent issues or whatever, it simply can't replace lcd in all applications

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

BobHoward posted:

can't do backlighting so only useful with ambient light
how do ereaders do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BobHoward posted:

can't do backlighting so only useful with ambient light)

You can do backlighting. The film isn't totally opaque, and a regular LCD style lamp and diffuser work perfectly fine.