Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

re: Chopper He'd also probably kill you if you tried to change out his speakers. He literally tries to steal new parts he actually wants, and he likes sounding like he does (the real reason for his voice is that it's funny that he's just garbled enough that his constant profanity gets by the sensors).

Since this is a movie thread, Chopper talk still counts since he's in Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

I just don’t really watch tv shows very often. I don’t have anything against cartoons

Neither do I and it’s weird that this is some kind of battle ground. I love cartons. I don’t like these Star wars cartoons. They’re ugly, mostly boring and just not everything I like about the series.

It just doesn’t work for me in cartoon form except for the Genndy show because it was so stylized and neat.

I’m not watching rebels. You can’t make me. If Dave can’t get me to care about his OC’s do not steal in live action form then he stinky

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like these Star wars cartoons. They’re ugly, mostly boring and just not everything I like about the series.

Ugly? The final season of Clone Wars is beautiful and looks better than Episode 2 and 6 definitively. Bad Batch generally looks very good as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s very ugly. Everyone looks like textureless a puppet

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

josh04 posted:

A Babu Freak, you might say.

Babu Freak on a Leash

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The star wars clone wars cartoon does intentionally look like cheap thunderbirds puppets, which lets it get away with wilder designs for planets and monsters and colors and stuff in the long run. But it is an acquired taste.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PeterWeller posted:

Chopper's speech parallels Zeb's the way R2's parallels Chewie's. Where Zeb is a Chewbacca that everyone can comprehend, Chopper is an R2 that everyone can comprehend.

I’m not really following you here. What’s interesting about that?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Chopper is a highlight of the mixed bag that is Rebels but I assumed they were just lower octave R2 style warbles, it being actual literate speech does diminish it a bit tbh lol

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think it would be great if artoo deetoo showed up voiced by John Carpenter or Paul Schraeder, and no other existing star wars character was present.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Wolfsheim posted:

Chopper is a highlight of the mixed bag that is Rebels but I assumed they were just lower octave R2 style warbles, it being actual literate speech does diminish it a bit tbh lol

I really dont get this complaint, its highly modulated warbles. Who cares what the base sound was to create it? Its mostly incomprehensible! I like Chopper's pitter patter :mad:

There are so many different types of droid voices in star wars, and honestly? They all gently caress.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FunkyAl posted:

Saying "star wars cartoon" feels a little redundant. Star wars IS a cartoon. They are friends with muppets and animated flying elephants. Most of the backgrounds are paintings, or models, which is a trick adapted from "Popeye."

The real question is, what is the difference between a bugs bunny short in the forties and an episode of "baby looney tunes?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-pnGFbwMQ

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FunkyAl posted:

Saying "star wars cartoon" feels a little redundant. Star wars IS a cartoon.

Ashoka is a live-action adaptation of cartoon adaptation of a ‘cartoony’ live action series, which is too many passes through the photocopier.

Decisions like ‘making your actors wear neon blue contact lenses’. Disney Live-Action Remake aesthetic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

feedmyleg posted:

Clone Wars is best watched with someone telling you which 10 episodes you should watch. If you dig them, get another 10 episodes from that person until you stop digging it. If you love, like, 30 episodes despite their faults, go back and watch all of it from the top. If not, move on. That's the beauty of it being more or less episodic (in arcs of 1-3 episodes).

On that note I'd recommend the Umbara arc if someone wanted to check out the show. It's a 4 episode arc about a unit of Clones during a disastrous offensive on a strange planet.

It looks cool, it's narratively self-contained while having obvious thematic links to the larger goings-on and it's one of the best things to come out of the cartoons.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
none of the clone wars is this bad. i think the show is at its best when it's aware of how every single thing the characters do is trapped under a thick layer of dramatic irony, because we know what happens in revenge of the sith.

the consequence of this is that the good episodes are mostly the opposite of the fan suggestions, since the fan suggestions focus on interminable garbage that has implications on later shows. season 6 is basically the only one i can recommend on the whole because it's just 'the clones are hosed', 'the republic is hosed', 'jar jar dunks on mace windu', and 'yoda doesn't learn anything' as four separate arcs, with all the plot threads tied up.

(i will second the umbara arc though, since that's just 'what is it like being a droid serving under general grievous')

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FunkyAl posted:

I think it would be great if artoo deetoo showed up voiced by John Carpenter or Paul Schraeder, and no other existing star wars character was present.

Artoo rolls onto the scene, a completely empty hangar. He stares out into the blackness of space, searching for Luke. He sings a moving rendition of Bring Him Home in dulcet tones that would move even the most hardened heart to tears. He then powers down, never to speak again...

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ashoka is a live-action adaptation of cartoon adaptation of a ‘cartoony’ live action series, which is too many passes through the photocopier.

Decisions like ‘making your actors wear neon blue contact lenses’. Disney Live-Action Remake aesthetic.

We are fast approaching the Star Wars stage musical performed mainly in high schools, "You're a good Man, Bib Fortuna"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

FunkyAl posted:

We are fast approaching the Star Wars stage musical performed mainly in high schools, "You're a good Man, Bib Fortuna"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ZvsFCxxCU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

oh...yea i think ill get off here thanks.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

People may laugh, but that takes SERIOUS talent to pull that off under all those costumes. Mad respect to Lord Vader and the New Troops on the Block.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I would like to think that a Star Wars fan would see how that's obviously just fun poo poo because Star Wars as a whole is goofy to begin with. I mean look at the sparkly glove. Unfortunately we're talking about Star Wars fans. I mean, the lightsaber noise right as Vader raises his arm? Cmon.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 31, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's drat good fun, and even the emo-est Sith is willing to krump it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B1hLltaDbg

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Don’t they not do that anymore since Galaxies Edge opened, what with their bizarre obsession with even the drat theme park being “canon”. It’s so stupid people don’t go to theme parks to experience canon they want to take pictures of their kids with Darth Vader and ride a roller coaster shaped like an Xwing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The new Star Wars threat should be a race of invading aliens that look and act exactly like Disneyland tourists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

The new Star Wars threat should be a race of invading aliens that look and act exactly like Disneyland tourists.

Flinstones comic did it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

galagazombie posted:

Don’t they not do that anymore since Galaxies Edge opened, what with their bizarre obsession with even the drat theme park being “canon”. It’s so stupid people don’t go to theme parks to experience canon they want to take pictures of their kids with Darth Vader and ride a roller coaster shaped like an Xwing.

They do some stuff outside of the star wars park but it is stupid they decided to make everything canon post rise of sky walker

Fine before bc why not but it’s over. Put Vader in that poo poo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I might watch the new show if it had some dance numbers

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

YaketySass posted:

Mando S4: a bunch of churro-waving children hunt down Baby Yoda followed closely by their Punisher hat-wearing father who refuses to hug them and is visibly drunk by 2pm.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Owns

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

This is the most dad Star Wars pic ever.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I was watching "The Pervert's Guide to Cinema", which has Zizek using the imagery of Darth Vader's emergency surgery intercut with his childrens' birth to exemplify the Freudian idea of the primordial father that refuses to die, and he nonchalantly refers to the droids as just "the doctors", lol. Dude doesn't miss.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 31, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

do you think they’re not doctors

Are you mechanist

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DeimosRising posted:

I’m not really following you here. What’s interesting about that?

I was noting it more as an explanation than a point of interest, but what I do find interesting about it is it's another way in which the Rebels cast is this sort of TTRPG Star Wars party where every character is a riff on established characters. So you get "Chewbacca but can be understood and has a laser staff instead of a crossbow" or "Boba Fett, but she's a girl and a graffiti artist (and now she's learning to be a Jedi)". There's this fan-fictiony aspect to it all that I find ultimately charming because the characters grow beyond those humble derivative origins. And I do like that the riffs on the characters who don't speak English end up speaking English because that's an especially TTRPG change to make. Jeff making Wookiee noises is gonna be fun at first, but eventually someone is gonna say, "Jeff, just tell us what Rargtarg is saying already!"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PeterWeller posted:

I was noting it more as an explanation than a point of interest, but what I do find interesting about it is it's another way in which the Rebels cast is this sort of TTRPG Star Wars party where every character is a riff on established characters. So you get "Chewbacca but can be understood and has a laser staff instead of a crossbow" or "Boba Fett, but she's a girl and a graffiti artist (and now she's learning to be a Jedi)". There's this fan-fictiony aspect to it all that I find ultimately charming because the characters grow beyond those humble derivative origins. And I do like that the riffs on the characters who don't speak English end up speaking English because that's an especially TTRPG change to make. Jeff making Wookiee noises is gonna be fun at first, but eventually someone is gonna say, "Jeff, just tell us what Rargtarg is saying already!"

Gotcha. That doesn’t do it for me at all but I see where you’re coming from and why it’s charming to you now

CelticPredator posted:

do you think they’re not doctors

Are you mechanist

I think that’s what he means, Zizek doesn’t even stoop to point out that they’re black droid doctors, they’re just doctors to him

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Has any Disney Star Wars been set in the sweet spot between m ESB and ROTJ? There were a bunch of entertaining IPs set in the middle of the OT that they should pull from. The people are crying out for a Kyle Katarn show!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheLoquid posted:

Has any Disney Star Wars been set in the sweet spot between m ESB and ROTJ? There were a bunch of entertaining IPs set in the middle of the OT that they should pull from. The people are crying out for a Kyle Katarn show!

The comics are filling it with giant story arcs that don't really have anything to do with the events of the movies

War of the Bounty Hunters started with hunters vying for Han, which was swiftly turned into a Crimson Dawn saga that only just ended, and now there's a droid...not quite uprising (yet) nor rebellion, but the droids are getting taken over by an element introduced during the Crimson Dawn

also the Force got a 'stone thrown into a still pond' treatment by the Crimson Empire attempting to neutralize Palpatine and Vader, and the effects of that have crippled Luke and empowered Vader

It's been a wild ride for a long while

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I rag on Legends for filling every hour of every day in and around the OT with important adventures where everyone had some part in stealing the Death Star plans. But it wasn’t without its upsides. It made it really feel like there was a whole galaxy wide revolution going on. Where every planet had its own plucky squadron of Xwing pilots, crew of smugglers, and imperial defectors. It organically/inadvertently made the whole war against the empire both really feel like a team effort that had wide spread popular support, and like an actual Star War. So much of the new comics and such feel like they’re focused on only using characters from the movies instead of original characters and we get so much less in general. Video games especially.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I've not seen the cartoons before aside from some clips here and there but this is cool and I wish we could get a Mace Windu movie because I thought he was an interesting character given he was a Jedi that also used the dark side which is why he was loving up Sheev so much, iirc? Dude was cooking bacon effortlessly deflecting all that lightning and probably would have pulled out some eggs if Anakin didn't show up.

Just a simple movie with Sam Jackson as older Mace that survived the fall because he's Mace and got some cyborg parts and it revolves around him going after Sheev who's understandably scared of him. Lots of fun fights with him going through various enemies as he pursues Sheev until Vader's all that stands in his way and it's where Vader earns his stripes (since dude's been a jobber for so long now he needs a win) and actually defeats Mace while defending Sheev.

Maybe nobody else wants that but I think it would be a fun movie set between episodes 3&4 but idk if Mace is interesting to anyone else for the same reasons and obviously it would have a bad ending since he'd lose to establish Vader's actually really powerful. Maybe it could be more interesting if they showed him succumbing more and more to the dark side throughout the film or something and that's his eventual downfall but it couldn't be worse than any of the other movies right? :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heh, Mace being Maul's Jedi counterpart?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Or maybe Mace defeats Vader and replaces him, leading to a sequel that gets cancelled five month into production, leaving everybody badly confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I was kinda expecting a reveal of Snoke actually being Mace since he looked so hosed up (His design looked like he'd clearly been sliced up a lot and healed previously due to all the scars?) and it sorta fit into the not really being Sith/Jedi which was the same area Mace occupied.

He was a fun character too and Andy Serkis was great as him. The throne room fight was fun but I expected Snoke to live since he'd clearly been sliced up plenty of times before and I wish we'd had him force levitating his torso and just laughing while chasing Kylo around and mocking him.