Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

wdarkk posted:

Chiasaur is something of an outlier on disliking WfM, but it is doing something different tonally; the idea is that the kids are insulated from how hosed things are until they’re suddenly not.

G-Witch also rules. It isn't very Armored Core 6-like, but that doesn't stop it from being a very good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

There's Heavy Object, which is kinda about everyone driving one big armored core. Or is that more steel battalion?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

a mech anime with no good fights ... and shockingly weak music

:confused:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

There's Heavy Object, which is kinda about everyone driving one big armored core. Or is that more steel battalion?

Heavy Object is more Arms Fort versus Arms Fort. ACs are about late UC Gundam height and usually humanoid.

I'm going to second the "You might like VOTOMs" thing. Didn't mention it because it's older, and thus covered by he early thread, but it's a decent time, if often a bit aimless.

The spin-off, Armored Hunter Mellowlink, was much more my speed. 12 episodes, all about a lone soldier on foot hunting down mech pilots for revenge.

For the style of mecha, Full Metal Panic or Code Geass might also work. FMP alternates between mercenary mech action and high school romcom, and Code Geass is all over the place, but they both have mid-sized machines in urban combat.

Edit: Oh poo poo! I forgot 86!

It's spider-tank mechs instead of humanoid, but it's one of the best mech shows in recent years. I don't want to give too much of the game away, but the directing is excellent, the fights (although spread out) are much better done than most CG, the soundtrack is Sawano, and the characters are pretty well sketched.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 1, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I likes Geass better when it was solely a ground game with the roller blading knightmare frames using grappling hook cannons to swing around corners. The early episodes had some pretty fun fights using terrain geometry that you can end up losing when you transition to air or space combat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was going to say he must've given up on the show before he saw the second ed. Which is the best Gundam ED and is at least in the competition for best Gundam song. But then I remembered, the basic fight BGM from the very first episode loving rocks. Genuine insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1q-unjRq0

chiasaur11 posted:

For the style of mecha, Full Metal Panic or Code Geass might also work. FMP alternates between mercenary mech action and high school romcom, and Code Geass is all over the place, but they both have mid-sized machines in urban combat.

Important note, the first season of Full Metal Panic is a little weak, you might want to just jump ahead to the second season, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

86 is one of my favorite animes but i'm not sure i would recommend it on the strength of the mechs alone

Gripweed posted:

I was going to say he must've given up on the show before he saw the second ed. Which is the best Gundam ED and is at least in the competition for best Gundam song. But then I remembered, the basic fight BGM from the very first episode loving rocks. Genuine insanity.

i really like the live orchestra video they have for this song + the asticassia school song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZwdv8Vq0BQ

but yeah in general i'd say wfm has a stronger ost than most gundam shows do, and gundam is almost always pretty good for music

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

FMP has a great villian

Arc Hammer posted:

I likes Geass better when it was solely a ground game with the roller blading knightmare frames using grappling hook cannons to swing around corners. The early episodes had some pretty fun fights using terrain geometry that you can end up losing when you transition to air or space combat.

If there are any supercuts of the spidermech cg action from Akito the Exiled, that's worth checking out

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Arc Hammer posted:

I can't speak for Fang of the Sun Dougram but it's apparently also a good watch.

Dougram is definitely more Battletech than Armored Core, and not just because all but four of its mecha designs ended up as BattleMechs - chunky ground pounders shooting and punching the crap out of each other. It's also very long at 75 episodes, but it's a fun ride.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Gripweed posted:

Important note, the first season of Full Metal Panic is a little weak, you might want to just jump ahead to the second season, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu.

Uh yeah what the hell. That song is great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah WFM has an excellent soundtrack. I have my issues with the show but the music is not one of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arc Hammer posted:

I super respect C:G for committing hard on "what if we did the dumbest thing possible every episode" but it is a shame that came at the cost of the early show where it seemed like they were trying for something more substantial.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah WFM has an excellent soundtrack. I have my issues with the show but the music is not one of them.

To be clear, and I feel like I wasn't, earlier, I don't think the music is bad. (And if you were looking for the first point where there was something people like musically, the OP is Yoasobi. Not a bad place to start!)

It was more that the music between the openings and endings felt like watered down Sawano. Now, Sawano's good enough even the store brand is going to mostly work for a lot of people, but for me, it didn't.

It might be cheating to go to Kanno, but if we're going for a Gundam concert to beat the band, you go with Turn A.. Memory of Military Boots is maybe my number 1 Gundam track.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Gripweed posted:

i like fumoffu but that's just the comedy season, The Second Raid is when it picks up the serious story again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

muike posted:

i like fumoffu but that's just the comedy season, The Second Raid is when it picks up the serious story again

Yeah the quality dips back down with The Second Raid but it’s still worth watching imo.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

It might be cheating to go to Kanno, but if we're going for a Gundam concert to beat the band, you go with Turn A.. Memory of Military Boots is maybe my number 1 Gundam track.

I agree to a point to not noticing much of Witch's ost(most bgm out there isn't gonna be remarkable), but holding anybody up to Yoko Kanno is straight unfair. S'like saying something is a lesser Fist of the North Star and, buddy, show me the better Fist of the North Star. It don't exist.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Her work on Turn-A is very good, though. Moon is up there with her best work, imo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

FMP has a great villian

The anime does. Sophia and Leonard in the novels are pretty bland.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Gauron rules so hard

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsC8p3gXpXQ

Low quality Layzner

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

controversial take: if you take out moon the rest of the turn a soundtrack is about average quality for gundam

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

nope

What's a good Getter Robo anime to start with?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pootybutt posted:

nope

Either of the two Shin OVAs or the 2004 series. They're disconnected but they all have a similar vibe (although Shin vs Neo is more cartoonish).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That being said, the Getter Robo Go manga is the real good poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

nope

I'd recommend the manga, if that's on the table.

For anime, there's Armageddon and maybe Shin Vs. Neo, but New Getter's kind of eh, and Arc is way inside baseball. The other option is the old Toei anime, of which Getter and G are old school 70s monster of the week, and Go is 70s monster of the week released in the 90s for some reason.

The manga, meanwhile, goes absolutely crazy.

Pootybutt posted:

I agree to a point to not noticing much of Witch's ost(most bgm out there isn't gonna be remarkable), but holding anybody up to Yoko Kanno is straight unfair. S'like saying something is a lesser Fist of the North Star and, buddy, show me the better Fist of the North Star. It don't exist.

Well, I also brought up Sawano as the more specific comparison. I agree that Witch's soundtrack not being as good as Turn A's is an unfair comparison, because it was trying for something different, but that something feels like it was aping Unicorn more than being its own thing, and that makes it doing the job less well feel more like a disappointment.

Meanwhile, IBO's soundtrack has a great "That's Mikazuki's music!" track for when he smashes into a fight, and plenty of character of its own. Sad Spanish guitars and accordion music make for a really nice, distinct feel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

nope

shin getter robo armageddon imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Also important note, Fumoffu is entirely high school romcom and largely irrelevant to your interests if you want mecha.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think season 1 had really high highs, the main villain/plot got a little ho-hum at times later etc. But the romance and fun of the main two etc was some of the best. I love Second Raid. Oddly enough I bounced off Fomoffu at the time since it felt kind of divorced from the I guess grounding of the show, felt like one of those filler side things or something. But in hindsight I could dig it, so been meaning to watch that sometime. I also need to watch that latest series.

Apparently other than reading the books (are those translated?), the way to see the end of the story is watching a longplay of a Playstation game I hear?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The novels were recently translated and available in English, along with many of the side stories. Fumoffu is some of the high school stuff that was removed from the first three novels and a few of the high school side stories.

The ps4 game goes to the end of the novels; it speeds through some plot points and character development to get there but it's a pretty good summary and better than slogging through ancient fanlations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Midjack posted:

The novels were recently translated and available in English, along with many of the side stories. Fumoffu is some of the high school stuff that was removed from the first three novels and a few of the high school side stories.

The ps4 game goes to the end of the novels; it speeds through some plot points and character development to get there but it's a pretty good summary and better than slogging through ancient fanlations.

Right on, that's very cool! Also I see an audiobook translated version of the first book is hitting in October, that could be fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
armageddon's a great spectacle but it is also completely incoherent.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I can work w that.

Great reccs, thanks yall!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of getter manga, what's a good spot to start with it? I've read bits and pieces but I've never really sat down and read any of it to completion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just read the ones by ishikawa (and nagai, for the first series), in order. there are a bunch of other getter manga, some of which are adaptations of the same shows. some of them are real weird. but none of them are really any good.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I've been reading the Ishikawa Getter manga series for the first time recently (like, in the last month), and I've just been going in publication order and having a great time. Also, they're not super long, so it's easy to pick up a part and just power through it.

Getter Robo Go is WILD

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/NobbieSlicks/status/1698041082775326760?t=w-tb46DIhgOQZBwABtgfTg&s=19

Tweet reminded me that Halo Legends exists and that some of the shorts were actually pretty good. Prototype might be one to check out of you want a Halo Mecha combat experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNJaRzbmytw

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 2, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
been watching more zegapain, like six episodes in. feel like there's cool ideas but the pacing really hurts it because you just don't really get enough with the actual mecha side of the cast to care about them much and none of what they take their time with on the high school stuff is exactly hard to predict or feels like it couldn't have been done in about half the time they take so i'm kinda left in a position of wanting to like aspects of it but never getting enough of a look at those parts to form an actual thought about them

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of getter manga, what's a good spot to start with it? I've read bits and pieces but I've never really sat down and read any of it to completion.

Go -> Shin -> Arc -> and if you want more after that then go back and read the 70s stuff

The OG manga has a really strong first volume but it doesn't maintain that energy. It's not bad -- the art stays solid and there's some genuine weirdness sprinkled throughout -- but its pretty medium, especially compared to Go which is incredible.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 2, 2023

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

g witch rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Booky posted:

g witch rules