Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got some real heavy use out of my inreach by sending location/status updates to my family while in canada last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

as long as they don't still charge you for it i don't see a problem with this. a similar thing happened when i canceled the paramount+ free trial and i've enjoyed it as a free service
I wouldn't complain but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a glitch in how it's being displayed on the site and it's not actually still valid

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

is this true? im going to test it right now

i think if they get one that traces to the middle of a city or whatever they probably just call the number registered to the beacon and ask if they're okay first but i mean, if they can't confirm the thing is a false alarm they will (and afaik must by international treaty) absolutely send rescue crews

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
plb's (EPIRBs are for the ocean, PLBs are land - same tech though) are also available on the jeffsite and the vibe is quite different yeah

you get exactly one button and it's got a safety on it

Also all these things beep out is a hex ID - you need to make sure it's registered with the coast guard or space force or whoever the gently caress keeps the DB current

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

i think if they get one that traces to the middle of a city or whatever they probably just call the number registered to the beacon and ask if they're okay first but i mean, if they can't confirm the thing is a false alarm they will (and afaik must by international treaty) absolutely send rescue crews

they’re air lifting me to jail right now as we speak

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

plb's (EPIRBs are for the ocean, PLBs are land - same tech though) are also available on the jeffsite and the vibe is quite different yeah

you get exactly one button and it's got a safety on it

Also all these things beep out is a hex ID - you need to make sure it's registered with the coast guard or space force or whoever the gently caress keeps the DB current

well an ID and more importantly your GPS coordinates but yeah "not keeping your PLB records up to date" is a problem that comes up in NTSB reports now and then.

also in the US the database is apparently run by NOAA for some reason

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

they’re air lifting me to jail right now as we speak

congrats on the free helicopter ride

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

also in the US the database is apparently run by NOAA for some reason
they got the sats?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

I got some real heavy use out of my inreach by sending location/status updates to my family while in canada last month.

yea i got an inreach and as long as you arent under super dense tree cover it rocks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I do miss Iridum flares. since the previous generation of Iridium birds had a huge antenna the size of a refrigerator door, polished to a shine, and they set the spin of the satellite to exactly match the orbital period so the antenna always pointed towards Earth, you had big mirrors on a known orbit. So you could pull up a web site and it'd do the math for the exact times that one of them would bounce sunlight to a particular spot on earth, and if you looked up you'd see a bright flash for a few seconds, easy without a telescope or anything. i believe the current generation doesn't have the big mirror-ey antennas tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I only register with the space force will they send a rocket to rescue me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

they got the sats?

the satellites are international, but the US ones are mostly just payloads riding along on the GPS satellites, which are run by the DoD

i think it's just cuz it's a system that gets more use from ships in distress than anything else so might as well give it to The Ocean And Weather Guys

Jonny 290 posted:

I do miss Iridum flares. since the previous generation of Iridium birds had a huge antenna the size of a refrigerator door, polished to a shine, and they set the spin of the satellite to exactly match the orbital period so the antenna always pointed towards Earth, you had big mirrors on a known orbit. So you could pull up a web site and it'd do the math for the exact times that one of them would bounce sunlight to a particular spot on earth, and if you looked up you'd see a bright flash for a few seconds, easy without a telescope or anything. i believe the current generation doesn't have the big mirror-ey antennas tho

i managed to catch exactly one once and it was real neat :3:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

"give us $20 when we get you out"

lol. lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think they should sell satellite insurance with a $20 copay, $1000 deductible, and 90% coverage coinsurance with a sticker price of at least $10,000

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

supposedly they cant balance bill you for helicopter evac in california anymore (in theory) but idk how thatd work for a backcountry rescue :shepface:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i buy backcountry rescue insurance through aac on top of what garmin provides because im afraid of getting owned again by emergency services.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what if one of the guys on the helicopter isn’t part of your plan’s evacuation provider network?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
are there any cases yet of people being found by search and rescue in the wilderness, and then refusing to be rescued because 'too expensive, id have to work all my life to pay it off. better to just let me die here'

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

what if one of the guys on the helicopter isn’t part of your plan’s evacuation provider network?

he gets to take anything he wants from your backpack on the way to the hospital.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EricBauman posted:

are there any cases yet of people being found by search and rescue in the wilderness, and then refusing to be rescued because 'too expensive, id have to work all my life to pay it off. better to just let me die here'

probably not?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Being a stupid shithole like the United States is, the breakdown is that feds don't charge individuals for that reason. State and local level it varies. Some of them use the fees as a slap for Stupid poo poo

quote:

Laws in other states are more specific. To curb wayward skiers, Vermont and Colorado can bill anyone found trespassing in out-of-bounds ski areas. In Idaho, hikers rescued in areas posted as closed to the public can be charged. In California, rescue missions costing more than $100 can be billed to the individual’s county of residence.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Being a stupid shithole like the United States is, the breakdown is that feds don't charge individuals for that reason. State and local level it varies. Some of them use the fees as a slap for Stupid poo poo

yeah, on top of some states requiring you pay for the costs of your evac, theres also been a growing debate around whether or not people should be fined for requesting a backcountry evac if they are determined to have been 'negligent' and put themselves in a bad situation that requires S&R. i've read both sides of the argument and i'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. some states do this already, i think

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

post hole digger posted:

yeah theres also been a growing debate around whether or not people should be fined for requesting a backcountry evac if they are determined to have been 'negligent' and put themselves in a bad situation that requires S&R. i've read both sides of the argument and i'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. some states do this already, i think

having lived near the mccandless bus for 20 years and seeing the constant flow of idiots having to be rescued from their "pilgrimage" I know what my knee-jerk reaction about the subject is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
funniest rescue story

this guy in the local ham prepper clique told his story about why he got into ham radio

he was at a 'range' (aka a valley) up in the mountains shootin guns with his son. his kid ND'd a .45 into his thigh, there was no cell service, but there was another dude shooting there who had a ham radio and could summon help. and he decided 'this is useful!'

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

I do miss Iridum flares.

those things have ruined a lot of night photos for me (well maybe they were starlink, idk. still sucks rear end)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
e.g.

gently caress shiny space junk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah theyre not really comparable. there are 66 iridium birds in orbit and 4,500 starlink

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

e.g.

gently caress shiny space junk

is that a plane though? it's got flashing lights

gently caress the planes too though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

is that a plane though? it's got flashing lights

gently caress the planes too though

i guess it could be idk. i just picked the first one i remembered since i don't generally save those photos unless they can be salvaged, and even then i don't usually keep the original

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

yeah, on top of some states requiring you pay for the costs of your evac, theres also been a growing debate around whether or not people should be fined for requesting a backcountry evac if they are determined to have been 'negligent' and put themselves in a bad situation that requires S&R. i've read both sides of the argument and i'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. some states do this already, i think

isn’t it always your own fault though? im not needing search and rescue around here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

those things have ruined a lot of night photos for me (well maybe they were starlink, idk. still sucks rear end)

yeah iridium had/has very few satellites compared to starlink and the flashes were highly directional so like, you probably never caught one by accident, and if you did it would be MUCH brighter than a line

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger posted:

getting owned again

gonna need a story on this one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like this is an iridium flash:

note how it's basically invisible until right when it comes into the right alignment, cuz they're way up in like MEO

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

gonna need a story on this one

I wish it was a cooler story, that wasn't a backcountry rescue just an emergency services in general incident: like 2 years ago, I got hit by a car on my bike like 2 blocks from my house and spent ages dealing with american medical response (the ambulance co) who were true bastards about everything every step of the way. it turns out that ambulance services are like the main thing that are still allowed to balance bill you whatever they want.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

like this is an iridium flash:

note how it's basically invisible until right when it comes into the right alignment, cuz they're way up in like MEO

oh yeah i've caught those once or twice. and you're all right, it's way less frequent than the starlink bullshit, which usually manifests as a streak

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

oh yeah i've caught those once or twice. and you're all right, it's way less frequent than the starlink bullshit, which usually manifests as a streak

you’ve heard of trump steaks now get ready for musk streaks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

i think that's what they call the clean-up when someone gets flattened by a tesla using fsd

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

gross and gross

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger posted:

I wish it was a cooler story, that wasn't a backcountry rescue just an emergency services in general incident: like 2 years ago, I got hit by a car on my bike like 2 blocks from my house and spent ages dealing with american medical response (the ambulance co) who were true bastards about everything every step of the way. it turns out that ambulance services are like the main thing that are still allowed to balance bill you whatever they want.

aw man i was hoping you punched a bear. sorry you had to deal with that, phd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

quote:

Registration is Key

It is important that you register your 406 beacon. If for some reason your beacon does activate inadvertently and it is registered, the call you receive from the Coast Guard or Air Force will be a friendly one.

If it is not registered and a SAR team is called out to respond to what turns out to be a false alert, it may not be quite so friendly.

-- https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emergency-406-beacons/