Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

EricBauman posted:

are there any cases yet of people being found by search and rescue in the wilderness, and then refusing to be rescued because 'too expensive, id have to work all my life to pay it off. better to just let me die here'

There was at least one father son pair I read about that activated their emergency beacon a couple of times for running low on water, and on the third time the rescue team forced them to leave because they were grossly abusing the system. Can't find it now because Google search is a gently caress these days.

I did some research on Garmin products and other satellite locator beacons if I want to do some more intense wilderness hikes. The Garmin service allows two way communication with search and rescue and yes is very expensive. I read about nothing but problems from people trying to pair the InReaches with their phones to use a better map viewing option (this also seems silly because it's two devices). I'd like an all in one handheld GPS map and satellite beacon but they all seem to have weird issues, the Garmin ones require a storm of add-on buys and subs. Probably the funniest thing was when you sideload your own maps it would wipe the elevation data for your waypoint coordinates hahaha.

$400+ is a lot to try something out that might be a kind of lovely product. I'd probably just split the cost of an InReach Mini with some friends of we need that kind of capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The inreach explorer+ works fine, but I've never tried sideloading my own maps to it.

I don't like the inreach mini specifically because you need to pair it to a phone to get full functionality.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my needs sound a little different than yours, but in my experience, inreach mini 2's app works great. i'm bringing my phone for photos anyways so 'two devices' is not really a concern for me. I've never had an issue using garmin's maps on my phone, although I prefer caltopo's maps to garmin's and if i'm charting out waypoints i'll probably do it in caltopo instead. but as a beacon/messenger, inreach is great. I have exported gps waypoints from caltopo and added them to garmin explorer though, and that worked fine.

being able to share a map that updates in real time with my location was something my wife really appreciated though.

supposedly apple is working on adding satellite messaging to the iphone and if that ever comes through, thatd be a real Killer Feature for me.

edit: maybe satellite messaging is just for sos on iphone. i thought i read they were doing it for satellite messaging in general. dang. i'd love it if they expanded that, even if it was a paid service.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
InReach is a product of Maine and is made in this building:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

haveblue posted:

I couldn't find any place where it makes that offer, it just says "2 years with purchase" in the fine print on the product page. the feature detail page is even less informative

you're going to get the iphone anyway, if you're a sensible person with good taste

the oldest phones with that offer are 12 months old and still have 12 months in their free period. i assume they'll announce pricing/how to extend something like 6 months from now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

p cool

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

I guess it makes sense that you would need that if you live in a state without electricity or cellphone service

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they also make those big rear end atlas & gazetteers which are really good

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Shaggar posted:

where's the grasping hand

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

post hole digger posted:

my needs sound a little different than yours, but in my experience, inreach mini 2's app works great. i'm bringing my phone for photos anyways so 'two devices' is not really a concern for me. I've never had an issue using garmin's maps on my phone, although I prefer caltopo's maps to garmin's and if i'm charting out waypoints i'll probably do it in caltopo instead. but as a beacon/messenger, inreach is great. I have exported gps waypoints from caltopo and added them to garmin explorer though, and that worked fine.

being able to share a map that updates in real time with my location was something my wife really appreciated though.

supposedly apple is working on adding satellite messaging to the iphone and if that ever comes through, thatd be a real Killer Feature for me.

edit: maybe satellite messaging is just for sos on iphone. i thought i read they were doing it for satellite messaging in general. dang. i'd love it if they expanded that, even if it was a paid service.

The elevation data wiping was specifically for the Garmin 66i. No idea if it was a more general problem for Garmin software. It was people syncing .gpx files, they would have to side load them by plugging directly into a computer to not wipe that and then it caused weird issues within the unit itself. YMMV, I heard good things about Gaia Maps from a few sources.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shaggar posted:

i hope they shine a laser spot on the globe any time one of the beacons activates

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

My main inreach use was on a 5 day fly-in glacier ski/camp/climb trip in Denali National Park. $15/month to text the air taxi about weather and when they would pick us up was quite reasonable imo. Much better than just hoping that they'll show up next saturday at 11am! I also bring it most anytime I go skiing or hiking or climbing and having the teeny bit of safety net and communication with my wife is nice.

The best PLB story I know also is a dude who thought that his PLB was an avalanche beacon, so they would go to Berthoud Pass etc. and turn it on for 90 seconds while skiing down whatever gnarly backcountry run and then turn it off at the bottom. Unregistered so no phone number to call or anything like that. https://www.denverpost.com/2010/03/02/rescue-group-finds-ignorant-beacon-owner-who-triggered-false-alarms/

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Anachronist posted:

My main inreach use was on a 5 day fly-in glacier ski/camp/climb trip in Denali National Park. $15/month to text the air taxi about weather and when they would pick us up was quite reasonable imo. Much better than just hoping that they'll show up next saturday at 11am! I also bring it most anytime I go skiing or hiking or climbing and having the teeny bit of safety net and communication with my wife is nice.

The best PLB story I know also is a dude who thought that his PLB was an avalanche beacon, so they would go to Berthoud Pass etc. and turn it on for 90 seconds while skiing down whatever gnarly backcountry run and then turn it off at the bottom. Unregistered so no phone number to call or anything like that. https://www.denverpost.com/2010/03/02/rescue-group-finds-ignorant-beacon-owner-who-triggered-false-alarms/

Hahaha, oh my god.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

BMan posted:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Manzoon posted:

Can't find it now because Google search is a gently caress these days.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

relatively slow text messaging might be feasible but anything more advanced than that is probably too bandwidth intensive for an iphone-sized integrated antenna, for the foreseeable future

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anachronist posted:

so is the beacon for warning the avalanches that you're coming

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also

quote:

As a result, several law enforcement and search and rescue teams were notified and scrambled to respond to the false alarms from Berthoud Pass to Crested Butte

tehe

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

so is the beacon for warning the avalanches that you're coming
avalanche beacons are a real thing for allowing people to find you if you get buried in an avalanche; they're just a different device

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

avalanche beacons are a real thing for allowing people to find you if you get buried in an avalanche; they're just a different device

yeah i looked it up, neat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also the wiki page for avalanche beacon has this entire middle section that's just like, the trolley problem but for avalanches, which i was not expecting lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

avalanches scare the poo poo out of me

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

they're probably more afraid of you than you are of them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if an avalanche approaches you, run towards it while yelling and waving your arms

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

simply use a drone to dispense explosives along your route

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
apple satellite sos is just a little 400mhz radio in the phone that they blast as much power as possible through to send a very rudimentary signal. it is not a data service

link budget is a harsh mistress

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

relatively slow text messaging might be feasible but anything more advanced than that is probably too bandwidth intensive for an iphone-sized integrated antenna, for the foreseeable future

yeah 'relatively slow text messaging' is basically exactly what something like the inreach offers, and that sort of feature parity on an iphone itself would be a huge bonus for me. probably a relatively small market to bother putting many resources into for apple tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

relatively slow text messaging is my very specific fetish

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ah, a fellow EDGEing enthusiast

mystes
May 31, 2006

The slow text penetrates the shield

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Fool posted:

avalanches and crevasses and tree wells, oh my!

those are the three big ones that keep me timid/humble

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

yeah 'relatively slow text messaging' is basically exactly what something like the inreach offers, and that sort of feature parity on an iphone itself would be a huge bonus for me. probably a relatively small market to bother putting many resources into for apple tho

i guess they might do it if they end up buying the iridium constellation but i haven't seen any speculation about that since the sos feature was announced. still seems unlikely, that was probably more to juice the stock

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

shaggar took the picture

mystes
May 31, 2006

if an iphone could do the equivalent of a satellite communicator in emergency situations for free (or even for a similar monthly subscription without a separate device) that would be a pretty compelling feature

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

if an iphone could do the equivalent of a satellite communicator in emergency situations for free that would be a pretty compelling feature

yeah that was the speculation, but again it seems kinda unlikely that they'd be interested in buying some pretty old satellites with relatively limited capacity

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
iphones already have satellite emergency services.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

there were people using in the maui wildfires, i think.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fart simpson posted:

what if one of the guys on the helicopter isn’t part of your plan’s evacuation provider network?

they claim the law of surprise

which in the case of an accident might be like, a kidney or something because you'd have lost it if you hadn't got back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

iphones already have satellite emergency services.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

there were people using in the maui wildfires, i think.
oh neat I didn't realize that