Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

YaketySass posted:

I agree but then that also seems to describe the rest of the staff.

Lockhart for sure fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Lockhart for sure fucks

Given that he was a famous celebrity and chose to make the professional move to hang around a high school full of teenage girls that all adore him, I feel that if he hadn't been put on medical leave for accidentally scrambling his own brain, it was only a matter of time before he got MeToo'd.

Oh who am I kidding, Dumbledore would have covered it all up :(

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Asterite34 posted:

Given that he was a famous celebrity and chose to make the professional move to hang around a high school full of teenage girls that all adore him, I feel that if he hadn't been put on medical leave for accidentally scrambling his own brain, it was only a matter of time before he got MeToo'd.

Dumbledore was apparently friends with a lot of the wizards Lockhart mind wiped and took credit for, and his revenge was to give him employment and hope that a student would work things out by the end of the year.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I bet they never took out any of the lead plumbing in wizard society, that would explain like 90% of the series.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bobjr posted:

Dumbledore was apparently friends with a lot of the wizards Lockhart mind wiped and took credit for, and his revenge was to give him employment and hope that a student would work things out by the end of the year.

Dumbledore gave him a job that was literally cursed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Dumbledore gave him a job that was literally cursed.

Dumbledore Rube Goldberging away every problem, even and especially if endangering children is a key component, up to and including child sacrifices.

With the amount of Operation Paperclip death eaters running around at the time, it's not like Dumbledore couldn't beat a murder rap if he had to. Solve your own problems, buddy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"This Harry, is Mr Blerner Brown, the ministry's long-range magic expert." Dumbledore paused as Harry took in the appearance of the man, who seemed to have more snake tattoos than bare skin. "He invented 'Blerner Braun's Wizards Blast-offs', Harry."

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

This is Rowling, so it's a 50/50 shot whether she'd do the Merope Thing again where the Lockhart's sexual assault gets glossed over in favor of making him sympathetic because his victim was sooooo mean to him. Or the Tonks/Fleur/McGonagall Thing where the younger woman's the one who pushes herself onto the older man.

lol now I just remembered the Valentines fiasco and how Lockhart told the girls during the feast that they should go to Snape and have him brew them magical roofies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/bradneely/status/1698795590455636122

Brad Neely's new book is applying the Wizard People style to the life of Ulysses S Grant.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Dear wizard people, just stop it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/bradneely/status/1698795590455636122

Brad Neely's new book is applying the Wizard People style to the life of Ulysses S Grant.

I know what Wizard People is but I can't parse what the gently caress this is supposed to be

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Grant Wizard sounded better in my head

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
rename :tvtropes: to :jkrowling: tbh

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Name Change posted:

Dumbledore Rube Goldberging away every problem, even and especially if endangering children is a key component, up to and including child sacrifices.

With the amount of Operation Paperclip death eaters running around at the time, it's not like Dumbledore couldn't beat a murder rap if he had to. Solve your own problems, buddy.

I wondered at one point if the goal there wasn't to make Snape snap and murder him in hopes it would get him to stop being so repressed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Harry potter sucks poo poo. if you want to read a good YA fantasy book thats old but actually holds up and the author isnt a chud, read the last unicorn. its not super long and its mostly lots of characters talking and good writing, it is melancholy as gently caress throughout though.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Or the Bartimaeus triology, which has a much better idea of how a society of imperialistic British wizards would go, and what an rear end in a top hat a teenage boy would be if he had that kinda power.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Or the Bartimaeus triology, which has a much better idea of how a society of imperialistic British wizards would go, and what an rear end in a top hat a teenage boy would be if he had that kinda power.

Cool. Thanks for suggesting.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Kojiro posted:

Seconding these. Loved them as kid, I should revisit them sometime.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kojiro posted:

Yeah can't stan the Bartimaeus Trilogy enough. It's a very different story than HP but it does so many of the same themes and ideas in a much more interesting and fleshed out manner. Really the only part of the whole trilogy I'd say drags is the first half of book 2 where two of the main characters are kinda aimlessly farting around Prague and the third main character's been just introduced and their arc hasn't really gotten off the ground yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GodFish posted:

Seconding these. Loved them as kid, I should revisit them sometime.

Sydin posted:

Yeah can't stan the Bartimaeus Trilogy enough. It's a very different story than HP but it does so many of the same themes and ideas in a much more interesting and fleshed out manner. Really the only part of the whole trilogy I'd say drags is the first half of book 2 where two of the main characters are kinda aimlessly farting around Prague and the third main character's been just introduced and their arc hasn't really gotten off the ground yet.

nice. ill have to try it on audible sometime. id still stan for last unicorn. made me feel poo poo. probably should have read it during a depression episode lol. its one of those books that works way way more when your older.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Let's all talk about Charlie Bone

I have not read Charlie Bone

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked Artemis Fowl but I don’t remember anything except the dwarf making GBS threads dirt

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
don't read the shannara series

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I liked Artemis Fowl but I don’t remember anything except the dwarf making GBS threads dirt

isn;t the kid actually decently evil until like book 12 or something?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Bartimaeus also addresses the issue of humans using magic to control sentient beings and force them into slavery, and concludes that it’s bad actually. Unambiguously so. All excuses to the contrary (in this case “They’re all just soulless demons so the horrible things we do to them are morally justified” as opposed to Rowling’s “They just enjoy being enslaved, mkay”) are treated as nothing more than self-serving lies the wizards convince themselves of in order to ease their own consciences.

Asgerd fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 7, 2023

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I did send a family down the Rowling-to-Riordan pipeline recently. I even got them to branch out into Riordan's imprint for under-represented authors. I haven't had a chance to read any yet but I plan to rectify that soon. I can say that the covers are bitchin'

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Ultra Carp

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Harry potter sucks poo poo. if you want to read a good YA fantasy book thats old but actually holds up and the author isnt a chud, read the last unicorn. its not super long and its mostly lots of characters talking and good writing, it is melancholy as gently caress throughout though.

Try separating the art from the artist? :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone should have separated the art from the artist when she turned in the first draft of that loving doorstopper book four

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isn;t the kid actually decently evil until like book 12 or something?

My memory is hazy but IIRC he's pretty much become a good guy by the end of book 2, but then gets his memory wiped and goes back to being a shitter until the next book when the fairies need him again for some reason and un-mind wipe him, after which he's pretty unambiguously a good guy if still prone to bouts of smarmy self-interest. I never read all the books though so that might have changed again at some point.

Asgerd posted:

Bartimaeus also addresses the issue of humans using magic to control sentient beings and force them into slavery, and concludes that it’s bad actually. Unambiguously so. All excuses to the contrary (in this case “They’re all just soulless demons so the horrible things we do to them are morally justified” as opposed to Rowling’s “They just enjoy being enslaved, mkay”) are treated as nothing more than self-serving lies the wizards convince themselves of in order to ease their own consciences.

Also helps that one of the main characters is himself an enslaved magical creature who's been press-ganged into on and off slavery since the dawn of civilization and has some very well developed opinions on the matter.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vim Fuego posted:

Some people prefer to keep their money separated from the artist.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

Okay but the art kinda sucks too though?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah it's harder when the artist isn't dead and constantly use the fame of their art to promote their poo poo ideas.
Also:

Asterite34 posted:

Okay but the art kinda sucks too though?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Harry Potter still sucks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hatsune Miku is the true author of the book about how slavery is good and we should all become cops, and of the movies about how the holocaust is necessary.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Hatsune Miku ftw. JKR ftl.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

? Peter beagle is fine. I was just saying the book is melancholy as gently caress. Rowling sucks and went full super terf and probably way worse now.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I did send a family down the Rowling-to-Riordan pipeline recently. I even got them to branch out into Riordan's imprint for under-represented authors. I haven't had a chance to read any yet but I plan to rectify that soon. I can say that the covers are bitchin'

They're all good covers but I'm absolutely in love with the cover/title on this one.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Hatsune Miku is the true author of the book about how slavery is good and we should all become cops, and of the movies about how the holocaust is necessary.

That sucks. I'm gonna pretend someone else wrote her books, as a bit.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm going to pretend it was Tobias Animorphs, and not Hatsune Miku, who wrote the scene where Dumbledore turns to the camera and says, "If your parents didn't love each other, you're fundamentally a monster and should probably have been drowned at birth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Ultra Carp
Harry Potter is good. Just finished the second book and it's a delightful magical journey into a world of whimsy and wizardry. It's no wonder the series captured the hearts of millions worldwide!