Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Definitely watch the new one piece episode when it comes out. New OP and one of the most amazing animated sequences in the series so far, up there with the zoro vs king fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My favorite fight in Wano so far is still Zoro vs. Killer.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/henry_thurlow/status/1698194354677113142

God bless this man

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Definitely watch the new one piece episode when it comes out. New OP and one of the most amazing animated sequences in the series so far, up there with the zoro vs king fight.

It was wonderful. Definitely made me smile at points.

I started to get worried the opening was going to be entirely that circle with reused animation from earlier epsidoes with a filter over it. The song is pretty good. Though introducing another Wano Kuni opening at when I was hoping the arc was winding down does not bode well for when we'll finally be moving on.

It's a really good thing we have Kaido to remind us constantly that Luffy's power is ridiculous or we might not know.

I always find it weird how episode titles so consistently describe the next episode.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shadow0 posted:

Though introducing another Wano Kuni opening at when I was hoping the arc was winding down does not bode well for when we'll finally be moving on.
They had to make a new opening to fit in the last set of spoilers before the arc ends.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How do you beat a Looney Tunes character when you're a JRPG boss?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Cool ep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_DLCYDaYw

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Banger ep this week. Wonderful use of color.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Cool ep for 7 minutes then 16 minutes of pointless retread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i skipped minute by minute, nothing important to watch after the 7 minute mark lol

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Lamebot posted:

Cool ep for 7 minutes then 16 minutes of pointless retread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i skipped minute by minute, nothing important to watch after the 7 minute mark lol

5 minutes until Namek explodes Luffy throws the punch he has been winding up since the end of the previous episode.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
You could have skipped this week and missed nothing. TOEI is a joke.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dipwood posted:

You could have skipped this week and missed nothing. TOEI is a joke.

This episode is manga accurate, btw

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The manga did 2 chapters of flashbacks after Luffy threw his punch? That's wild.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dipwood posted:

The manga did 2 chapters of flashbacks after Luffy threw his punch? That's wild.

no the anime just does less than 1 chapter an episode now. That said all of chapter 1048 was in this episode

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 11, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kild posted:

no the anime just does less than 1 chapter an episode now. That said all of chapter 1048 was in this episode

While that's mostly been true, they've actually been going about 1:1 since episode 1061 (Sanji vs Queen) back in May, but they've been compensating with recap episodes instead.

And yeah, as much as this episode felt like filler, it's accurate to the Manga chapter, which also felt like filler.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I once read a criticism of Oda was that he was a bit too aware of the anime and started cramming in as many things as possible each chapter.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I hope that American guy was involved in that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

dipwood posted:

I hope that American guy was involved in that.

Today's episode was very good. Loved the animation, fight scenes, and the flashbacks even.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Teen/early adult Kaido seemed kinda cool, if he hadn't gone full nietsczhe.

Has the captain of the rocks pirates been shown yet? I think he's only been mentioned in the anime so far, not actually shown, but if he showed up in one of the movies maybe I oughta watch that.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Teen/early adult Kaido seemed kinda cool, if he hadn't gone full nietsczhe.

Has the captain of the rocks pirates been shown yet? I think he's only been mentioned in the anime so far, not actually shown, but if he showed up in one of the movies maybe I oughta watch that.

Very little.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Rocks_D._Xebec

Seems like he was mostly a character used to show why Roger trusted Garp.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Very little.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Rocks_D._Xebec

Seems like he was mostly a character used to show why Roger trusted Garp.

Roger tells Garp while he's in prison that they've been in numerous battles to the death against each other and that's why he trusts him.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wrt the latest episode:

The manga made it look like Kaido was sent into the ground at warp speed after the punch connected, but the anime made it seem like "normal fast" instead. Also kind of weird that they had Kaido make reactions using his human/oni face instead of, you know, his dragon face. A little disappointed in that part, but fine with the fight wrapping up as a whole.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wrt the latest episode:

The manga made it look like Kaido was sent into the ground at warp speed after the punch connected, but the anime made it seem like "normal fast" instead. Also kind of weird that they had Kaido make reactions using his human/oni face instead of, you know, his dragon face. A little disappointed in that part, but fine with the fight wrapping up as a whole.

they did the same thing with the final punch vs doflamingo, its frustrating and stuff like that is why the manga is what i always recommend to people

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Man, the Funimation dub is just blasting along. I stopped watching with Dressrosa because that was as far as they had gotten. Now they're at Episode 1012 out of 1077, which is somewhere in Wano. (my GF is watching it)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wrt the latest episode:

A lot of stuff is ruined by this. I especially hated the final attack against Cesaer.

After the last episode, I didn't feel any kind of excitement or anything, just glad it's finally over. It wasn't bad, just so slow.

Momonosuke spent like 40 episodes whining about how he can't do a thing while everyone keeps saying they have the utmost confidence in this guy who has never done anything, then he just suddenly does it. It didn't even happen on screen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Made it to 1060 - I am almost there...!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Clearly the strain of animation is too much for the studio as we have yet another recap filler episode coming up (I think it's like the 4th or 5th one recapping the raid). As if the pace wasn't already glacial...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Clearly the strain of animation is too much for the studio as we have yet another recap filler episode coming up (I think it's like the 4th or 5th one recapping the raid). As if the pace wasn't already glacial...

the downside of animating a whole chapter per episode lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, while it almost certainly helps with the stronger animation flourishes, the real reason for doing them is because everyone since sanji vs Queen, they've been mostly adapting at a 1:1 chapter/manga ratio, and with Oda constantly taking weekly breaks, they need to slow down so they don't catch up to the Manga. I imagine the pacing will slow down again now that we are at the end of Wano and the fighting is finished.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Julias posted:

Yeah, while it almost certainly helps with the stronger animation flourishes, the real reason for doing them is because everyone since sanji vs Queen, they've been mostly adapting at a 1:1 chapter/manga ratio, and with Oda constantly taking weekly breaks, they need to slow down so they don't catch up to the Manga. I imagine the pacing will slow down again now that we are at the end of Wano and the fighting is finished.

It's wild to think that the anime, manga and live action will have two far extremes for the story.

Anime [Padded story pacing] ~ Manga [Normal story pacing] ~ Live Action [Very streamlined story pacing]

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do hope the Live Action somehow makes it to Sabaody just so we have 3 awesome versions of Charlos getting his face wrecked.

It's kind of funny that with all the top notch antagonists in the series, some tertiary shithead is still the most satisfying punch in the whole thing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wrt the latest episode:

I dont agree at all, my biggest complaint in the Kaido vs Luffy fight was that the final punch felt like it had no weight. I confused Momo flopping onto the ground for Kaido at first. The anime messes with the feeling of it too by drawing it out, but at least the kinetic feeling was there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And like that, all caught up after 20 or so years. Jesus Christ that number. Pretty good conclusion - took a bit to get used to wacky G5 Luffy and it'll be interesting to see how they use this now - is it always gonna go Looney Tunes?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

And like that, all caught up after 20 or so years. Jesus Christ that number. Pretty good conclusion - took a bit to get used to wacky G5 Luffy and it'll be interesting to see how they use this now - is it always gonna go Looney Tunes?

As far as G5 goes? Yes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

no, tom and jerry technically isnt looney tunes

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Anime please just write a filler arc. We already know they arent at least going into the next arc based on the released episode titles but i mean come on. I promise we wont make fun of you for doing filler its better than every 3 weeks having recap. Theres so many filler episode concepts you could do in wano post-kaido fight

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

They could also just turn into a seasonal show, but I guess the profit of "the timeslot" will never be viable to give up.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I understand now why people thought they "nailed it" with the Gear 5 intro - they were watching this last recap.

Seriously, it was nearly the entire fight, with no extra dialog or repeated animation or any 15 minute cut away to someone explaining stuff we've heard 80 times already. Even the "commentators" barely said anything the entire episode. Though they almost exclusively only say things like "Big brother Luffy is so cool!" anyway.

It was a much better version of the fight. (Though it did cut out a tiny bit of the fun stuff.)

Every 5-6 episodes, they have a recap. It's absurd. Are they going to do this for the rest of the show? It's not like Oda is going to suddenly double his rate of releasing chapters.

They have so so so much unused content like the cover stories that they never touch. I think it's because the anime is meant as an advertisement for the manga, and that's why they keep all this bonus stuff there, but man, the anime is disappointing.

It's already impossible to convince anyone I know to watch, and now I don't even think it's right to try.

It feels like they don't want to do filler because they don't want to do the work involved, imo. I feel bad for all the people who work hard on this, and then it just grinds all the fun out of it with its pacing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mabels big day posted:

Anime please just write a filler arc. We already know they arent at least going into the next arc based on the released episode titles but i mean come on. I promise we wont make fun of you for doing filler its better than every 3 weeks having recap. Theres so many filler episode concepts you could do in wano post-kaido fight

Limp to the end of Wano, then the next week transition into weekly episodes of One Piece: Kai. No limits on how many chapters are covered in an episode, leave it up to the animators and watch it fly. Use the excuse that you're trying to do a tie in with Netflix's Live Action if you have to justify it to the idiotic executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Not a fan of teasing Shanks finally meeting Luffy and then reneging, again.

Am a fan of Bart loving around in Shanks' territory.

I hope we get a few episodes showing the chaos happening in the rest of the world.