Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

silvergoose posted:

My 8yo just finished tearing through the three extant Reckoners books and is eagerly awaiting the next one. I read and quite enjoyed Mistborn, but I don't necessarily know how they compare. I was always thinking Mistborn would be more like early teens kind of fare? But if Reckoners is only a bit behind in theme and language, maybe it'd sooner. Any thoughts on the relative age levels of the two series in question?
I mean, you know your own kid better than we do, but I wouldn’t give Mistborn to anyone under 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, you know your own kid better than we do, but I wouldn’t give Mistborn to anyone under 12.

I read Gerald's Game when I was like 10/11 but I probably shouldn't of

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

silvergoose posted:

My 8yo just finished tearing through the three extant Reckoners books and is eagerly awaiting the next one. I read and quite enjoyed Mistborn, but I don't necessarily know how they compare. I was always thinking Mistborn would be more like early teens kind of fare? But if Reckoners is only a bit behind in theme and language, maybe it'd sooner. Any thoughts on the relative age levels of the two series in question?

Give your kid Skyward, which has 3 books out, a spinoff series in novellas with the fourth and final book coming soon.

If they do alright with the themes and language in that, then I'd move them on to Mistborn.

Edit: I read A Song of Ice and Fire when I was 11 though, so my opinion probably is a bit skewed.

Leng fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 6, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I’d put the Skyward and Alcatraz series on similar levels to the first Reckoner’s book, with the caveat that it’s been a minute since I read Steelheart. I recall Rithmatist being comparable in reading level to Mistborn, but with much more kid-approachable topics. (And when are we getting the Rithmatist sequel that was teed up for us? :mad:)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

CapnAndy posted:

I read about 50% of Mistborn to my 8 year old and she eventually said it was a bit too scary for her (she's super sensitive about that type of stuff anyway). Instead, she's really enjoyed Alcatraz despite it being a bit uneven at times, and we just started book 6 the other day.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

socialsecurity posted:

I read Gerald's Game when I was like 10/11 but I probably shouldn't of

Is that better or worse than reading all of Piers Anthony as a third grader? It's a miracle I turned out as well as I did.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fezz posted:

Is that better or worse than reading all of Piers Anthony as a third grader? It's a miracle I turned out as well as I did.

yo whatup alternate self.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Captain Monkey posted:

yo whatup alternate self.

gently caress, there more of me out there than I thought!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

immoral_ posted:

gently caress, there more of me out there than I thought!
Ahhhhh where'd you all come from

I can only thank my lucky stars that little me thought the puns were funny and was too prepubescent to digest any of the sexual stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oh yeah that was me too for sure. I also thought the puns were funny and had no idea about all the other stuff. Incarnations of Immortality though...

Anyway Alcatraz vs The Evil Librarians is the one to go for, sounds like. Thanks for the recommendation! Kid absolutely devoured the Reckoners, we got the first two from a library book sale and I was like, sure, maybe he'll read this in a couple years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Again, if you really think about it, Mistborn is really bleak. It's literally a grey hellscape. Plus copious amounts of slavery and abuse on the parts of the Skaa. It's not as overtly violent as GoT and the like, but it's plenty dark.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I always thought it had a reddish tint

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Definitely read Skyward and Rithmatist (someday we'll get a sequel, maybe?) next.

For non-problematic you could try the Dark is Rising books or the Prydain books. I remember loving those around that age. Along with the Hobbit, etc.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oooh, definitely The Dark Is Rising. Every bookish child needs a dose of Extremely Welsh Fantasy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I've been pushing all of those, plus Diana Wynne Jones, it's just that Steelheart just caught his eye at the library book sale and here we are. :unsmith:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Fezz posted:

For non-problematic you could try the Dark is Rising books or the Prydain books. I remember loving those around that age. Along with the Hobbit, etc.

The perfect suggestion right here, Dark is Rising and Prydain are fantastic for that age, understandable and deep without being overwhelming.

Could even try Earthsea.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TGG posted:

The perfect suggestion right here, Dark is Rising and Prydain are fantastic for that age, understandable and deep without being overwhelming.

Could even try Earthsea.

Amusingly enough, *I'm* reading Wizard of Earthsea right now, that's on the shortlist too. Such gorgeous writing.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It is such a beautiful and diverse series, the prose is stunning and every part of it gives off a feeling of what humanity can accomplish; even the darkness in the series has a light to be seen. It's never given, it takes hard work, trust and passion. It's an inspiring series in this rather dark time we seem to live in.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Do you want to explain to a child with a single digit age about the part where they periodically murder the prostitutes and/or rape victims? It feels YA because it has a young protagonist and the lexile level isn't too high, but content wise it's definitely not there. And the violence is pretty graphically described, with real world consequences and depth. I'd say wait a while.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Daniel Greene hosted an interview between Sanderson and Abercrombie and it was a ton of fun. I didn't realize Abercrombie was so funny and likeable, and Brandon seemed super relaxed and came off as the most personable I've seen if any of his videos. A really fun watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRD-mtBq0pM

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm slowly approaching the end of Part 2 of Way of Kings (I have 2.5 chapters left, but based on the audiobook timing, those chapters are meaty).

Currently, I've come to the conclusion that Kaladin is a more boring version of Raoden - which is an incredible accomplishment.

pik_d posted:

Glad to see you checking in, how's your covid recovery going?

Generally back to my normal day-to-day with just the caveat of being easily winded/fatigued. Very cool to win the long covid lottery. Would not recommend to anyone. Appreciate the concern.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I'm slowly approaching the end of Part 2 of Way of Kings (I have 2.5 chapters left, but based on the audiobook timing, those chapters are meaty).

Currently, I've come to the conclusion that Kaladin is a more boring version of Raoden - which is an incredible accomplishment.

Generally back to my normal day-to-day with just the caveat of being easily winded/fatigued. Very cool to win the long covid lottery. Would not recommend to anyone. Appreciate the concern.

Paladin grows on you and has more depth at least.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yeah wait for Saladin to start actually putting some brain cells together on what he specifically can offer people who are suffering like him

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
The Maladin love triangle was a bit much though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

at least it ended pretty fast

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finished Book 2 of Mistborn.

Vin's been bamboozled.

Figured the trip to the Well wouldn't go according to plan, what with it being book 2/3 and all. But didn't expect her to release an evil god. Not sure how I feel about the reverse heel turn of the Lord Ruler though. Making him actually a good guy, sorta, kinda undermines how special of a setting it is in starting with "The Big Bad Evil Guy won"

A little disappointed that the coins weren't atium after all and were just painted wood.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nitrousoxide posted:

Vin's been bamboozled.

Figured the trip to the Well wouldn't go according to plan, what with it being book 2/3 and all. But didn't expect her to release an evil god. Not sure how I feel about the reverse heel turn of the Lord Ruler though. Making him actually a good guy, sorta, kinda undermines how special of a setting it is in starting with "The Big Bad Evil Guy won"

A little disappointed that the coins weren't atium after all and were just painted wood.

I'd argue that the Lord Ruler was still evil, and that the text wants us to still see him as evil. But he does get contextualized a bit. He became more complex, which is good. It didn't absolve him of his crimes. But there's a bit more to come in book 3, too.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Vin's been bamboozled.

If it makes you feel better I think it's fair to call him the lesser of two evils, rather than a "good guy", given how harshly he ruled. He did a good thing by preventing a worse evil from doing whatever was going to happen if the Lord Ruler did nothing. The Lord Ruler still sucked a lot.

The coins hosed me up too.

Also a "reverse heel turn" is just called a "face turn".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I'd argue that the Lord Ruler was still evil, and that the text wants us to still see him as evil. But he does get contextualized a bit. He became more complex, which is good. It didn't absolve him of his crimes. But there's a bit more to come in book 3, too.

Honestly it's Book 3 when I felt the story became entirely too "The Lord-Ruler wasn't so bad.": I've seen this sentiment from many others so I'm not imagining it, either.

pik_d posted:

If it makes you feel better I think it's fair to call him the lesser of two evils, rather than a "good guy", given how harshly he ruled. He did a good thing by preventing a worse evil from doing whatever was going to happen if the Lord Ruler did nothing. The Lord Ruler still sucked a lot.

The coins hosed me up too.

Also a "reverse heel turn" is just called a "face turn".

After my last re-read of TFE I made the case the LR is the most evil figure in any Cosmere book I've read. Consider this (all Stormlight spoilers): we're told the
lands ruled by the Fused are actually more honorable and fair than those of the Alethi. Now the Alethi might be viewed as barbarians compared to some but they ain't got poo poo on the Hell that was life in The Final Empire. So, basically, life under the God of Hatred is a better deal than life in the Final Empire. For 1,000 years there was a nonstop meat grinder of rape, torture, and murder. Give me Odium any day by all accounts.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I will consider that sometime next year probably, since I'm still working through the Cosmere :negative:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Stormlight Words of Radiance Chapters 46-58 & Interludes (Second half of Part 3)
I intended to break Part 3 up into three sections but before I knew it I was almost done, so a lot has happened since I last posted.

I'm glad to at least have the names of all the Radiant orders, and a tiny little bit of information about some of them. I'm still not sure which Heralds most of them pair up with, or what Surges they have except for a few, but I'm at least aware of them. Then I get a whole info dump on the Edgedancers in Lift's Interlude!

The biggest organization information I have here is that the Ghostbloods, who are aligned with Thaidakar, are working against Amaram, Restares, and whoever else is working with them to bring the Voidbringers back. There's also the "creature in Tukar" and "the old fool", which I believe is Taravangian. Mraize also says soemthing about the creature not being the "local species" so I think he's a world hopper.

But the Ghostbloods wanted Jasnah dead, which is a little confusing since she also is generally against the Voidbringers returning. There is a possible connection though, if Mooncheek Darkness is killing new Radiants because (he believes) they're going to be responsible for the Voidbringers returning. Even though he's using Stormlight and may also be a new Radiant. Maybe he's sprenless like Szeth and has one of the Honorblades (?) that has been mentioned a few times. Honestly the more I find out the more I know I don't know. I'm also curious what Darkness does when the desolation comes, since killing the new Radiants might not make sense anymore.

Szeth information has come in bits and pieces, but Syl claiming his blade is what's giving him his abilities, then later on the information about Darkness made me realize that the Herad's blades are the Honorblades, made by Honor for the Heralds. I'm also looking forward to Szeth unleashed, since the last thing he said in his Interlude was that he was going to kill who he choose to kill. So Szeth has Jezrien's blade since he's a Windrunner, does that make him a new Herald?

I have to say, Shallan asking Adolin how he poops in his Shardplate was a real highlight. I'm as interested in the Chasmfiend lifecycle as she is, I've really wanted to see what happens if one of them isn't killed as a chrysalis even though that'll probably end up being a bad time for everyone. Shallan's spying was super fun, I'm glad she and Kaladin are leveling up their skills, though his are far more flashy. Shallan finally sees Helaran's Shardblade in Amaram's possession, so she knows he's dead. She does think the wrong guy is guilty though, but will find out the truth the instant she and Kaladin talk about how much they both hate Amaram.

I'm also still convinced that Urithiru is the former city that the listeners are living in, in the Shattered Plains. Kaladin references a pattern seen in the Plains, Shallan has the map from Amaram's study, that will be important. I'm almost sad that Shallan found a detailed map, because I wanted Kaladin to fly her up there for fun.

Hoid returned, and literally everyone in the carrage knows him. How fun, and nice that Shallan got to thank him, much to the confusion of Adolin. Hoid also mentions there being only one woman his age around, which I think might be the Nightwatcher, even though I also think she's a spren.

After Adolin destroyed Elit in the duel and Relis accepted the disadvantage challenge, I was only thinking of it being a 2v1, and I was 80% sure it would be Sadeas joing Relis. I figured if that happened Adolin would lose, if it was anyone else Adolin would win. I guess I was correct about that last part, but I didn't see the 4v1 coming. Renarin once again wanted to fight, but wasn't able to. He'll for sure end up getting himself killed if he keeps that up. He's either got to accept that he can't fight, or (magically?) fix his health issues.

gently caress Amaram for, honestly, everything. Pretending to be a new Radiant, planning on bringing back the Voidbringers, and not fighting along side Adolin. At least that gives Kaladin the opportunity to kick some rear end. He did once again tell himself that "for sure no one will notice that I'm glowing and also beating Shardbearers with a pointy stick and my feet". Some other interesting stuff happened during the fight, Syl seems to have noticed Pattern, and then the screaming when Kaladin caught the Shardblade. I thought Syl had died since the chapter title was "To Kill the Wind", but she was fine and happy afterwards. I'm also confused about who Relis was talking to about not having killed them. Kaladin? Whoever was screaming? Does Relis have his own spren that screamed and sounded similar to Syl?

Then Kaladin openly claims that Amaram, leader of the Knights Radiant, stole from him and killed his friends. I totally get it Kaladin, but you can't just do that. It does ask the question though, Amaram didn't seem to recognize him, so why the lies about only having won the Shardblade/Shardplate four months ago? It was obviously the Blade he took from Kaladin since his attacker was identified as Veden and Shallan recognized the blade. Maybe Amaram just knew he'd need an alibi. Maybe Szeth will spring Kaladin out of jail for the answers he wants.

What the gently caress is Lift, lmao. She's got serious Main Character energy and is probably gonna star in the Edgedancer novella. Poor Wyndle though, constantly being called a Voidbringer by his ward. Not sure what type of spren he is since Lift keeps interrupting him. It's also pretty interesting that Lift went to the Nightwatcher, who Wyndle refferred to as mother, to match the Stormfather I suppose. Makes me think the Nightwatcher is of Cultivation. Lift is just a child though, I'm curious what her wish was that allows her to metabolize food into Stormlight. That feels very much like Stormlight Allomancy though, and what will her curse be?

Eshonai has a spren friend! Some little comet-like spren, I wonder if stormform makes it so spren can attach to a listener? Or if one of them decided to bond with her despite it not being as advantageous to them? I am not that surprised that Eshonai and her sister Venli seem to be at odds, it feels like they both want to make the decisions about their people. And now a thousand or so listeners have broken off. Will they make it to the Alethi camps? Maybe Kaladin will find them in the chasms if he can escape from his prison quickly. It is very interesting that stormform seems to put a second mindset overtop the screaming internal form that Eshonai can hear from the Rhythm of Peace. It's like there's two Eshonais in one body.

Progress so far:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WOR spoilers where Pik_D is Kaladin hopping into the ring like is one of my favorite moments of WoR

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

socialsecurity posted:

WOR spoilers where Pik_D is Kaladin hopping into the ring like is one of my favorite moments of WoR

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

socialsecurity posted:

And then him immediately losing sight of the whole reason the heir to the Kholin princedom risked everything immediately after they pull it off against all odds to pursue his personal vengeance quest is peak crem-headed Kaladin and one of my favorite moments.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To be fair a competent leader could have just said I have witnessed two men win shardblades in the arena, against a staggering disadvantage, and in admiration of their feat, I grant the right of challenge to both brightlord Adolin and brightlord Kaladin.

And it would have made the challenge even more legit, a darkeyes winning a shardblade unarmed it the type of legendary poo poo a boon is for.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Tunicate posted:

To be fair a competent leader could have just said I have witnessed two men win shardblades in the arena, against a staggering disadvantage, and in admiration of their feat, I grant the right of challenge to both brightlord Adolin and brightlord Kaladin.

And it would have made the challenge even more legit, a darkeyes winning a shardblade unarmed it the type of legendary poo poo a boon is for.

Yeah, well, Elhokar.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mkstborn book 3:
I'm not sure how much I believe that Kelsier is really talking to Spook. I think its more likely Ruin talking to him. I do think he got his new pewter power from the sword that's stuck in him. That sounds a lot like a partial inquisitor and he got it in the same way that Marsh was making new Inquisitors back in the prologue, stabbing spikes through two people and killing one in the process.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Kaladin did not have the Money in the Bank so despite an admirable performance he was not granted a title shot

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mkstborn book 3:
I'm not sure how much I believe that Kelsier is really talking to Spook. I think its more likely Ruin talking to him. I do think he got his new pewter power from the sword that's stuck in him. That sounds a lot like a partial inquisitor and he got it in the same way that Marsh was making new Inquisitors back in the prologue, stabbing spikes through two people and killing one in the process.

Are there any other people this weird process reminds you of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

gently caress Amaram for, honestly, everything. Pretending to be a new Radiant, planning on bringing back the Voidbringers, and not fighting along side Adolin..

You are so close on so much. But I do want to correct you here. Amaram is not pretending to be a new Radiant. As far as both he and Dalinar know, the Knights Radiant are ancient mythology that are long since gone. Dalinar "resurrected" them as a symbolic gesture, saying essentially "we know we don't have their abilities, but nobody does any more, so we're going to try to live up to their ideals and do their job of serving the people anyway". They don't know about Kaladin, Shallan, Lift, or anyone else running around right now. As far as Amaram knows, he is a Knight Radiant, in so far as it's possible for anyone to be one in these fallen times.

gently caress Amaram for a million other reasons, though.
Also, spoiler through Oathbringer, it's interesting in retrospect that Dalinar independently reinvents the Bondsmith squires like this. He's already well onto his path.

Tunicate posted:

There were plenty of options. As Dalinar himself points out, Elhokar could've simply ignored Kaladin, he could've said "no" and kept going, or he could've still tossed Kaladin in jail but not stormed out in a huff so that Adolin could fix the date of his challenge. But... Elhokar.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mkstborn book 3:
These are very interesting guesses.